Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Writing adventure in Hardbuckler – Suggestions?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Quickleaf
Seeker

99 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2019 :  23:53:57  Show Profile Send Quickleaf a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm writing a low-level 5e adventure set in Hardbuckler, with a bit of travel on the Dusk Road, and a neighboring adventure site. I was wondering if there are any sources you'd recommend beyond what I already have? Or suggestions in general? The more specific and more current the better (though I realize these are often at odds in 5e D&D). Thanks very much for any help!

Hardbuckler is a fascinating primarily gnomish town in the Western Heartlands, at the northernmost part of the Sunset Vale (a pastoral breadbasket) where it borders the Backlands (a rough-and-tumble monster-infested frontier). The gnomes specialize in storing valuables, no questions asked, in warded lockboxes.

In particular, I'm attempting to get a sense for the various influences that might be present in and around Hardbuckler. For example, while populating a random encounter table for the Dusk Road, I've come up with:
  • Children of Selűne

• Crow Cages (punishment for thieves?)

• Troll named “Yokel” (from Skull Gorge), yoked to an old beat-up wagon, coated in mud, wears duskwood bark “armor” and cowskull mask, geased to help travelers with broken wagons or injured/dead mounts, terms of geas written on wagon, hates wizards, likes to eat horses

• Young green dragon Erilivyr (sired by the male adult green dragon Serpestrillvyth & the female ancient green dragon Ralionate lairing in the Forest of Wyrms)

• “Adventuring company” = posse led by halfling sheriff

• Gnolls (survivors of green dragon in Reaching Woods) "Curiously, the woods' small population of gnolls tends to cooperate with the fey and human druids against the goblinoids, as long as they are otherwise left alone."

• Orc Marauders (lore?)

• Riders in Red Cloaks (from Asbravn)

• Goblin Band

• Harper Agents (what are they doing now that Zhentarim is "no longer a threat"?)

• Huntsmen of Hill’s Edge (thugs)

• Order of the Companion & Refugees from Elturel (linking to Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus)

• Bandits (lore? bandit companies?)

• Crossroads Shrine (to multiple gods/spirits?)

• Gnome Miners

• Halfling Farmers

• Merchant Caravan/“Coster” (arms/armor from Hill’s Edge; horses/ale kegs from Iriaebor; lumber from Asbravn; natural preservatives from Triel like vinegar, rosemary extract, and mustard seed; wainwright from Hluthvar; baled wool from Beradusk) with Blacktalons Mercenaries (from Iriaebor) as guards –– current "costers" on Dusk Road?

• Shepherds (halflings tending longhorn sheep & gnomes tending braid-bearded goats)

• Zhentarim (what are they doing now? smugglers? mercenaries? protection racket? Darkhold?)

My sources so far include:

Kenson, Steve. Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide. 2015.
Sharpsword, Rand. Rand’s Travelogue: More of the Western Heartlands! 2002. http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=fr/fx20020703rt
Greenwood, Ed. Volo’s Guide to the Sword Coast. 1994.

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2019 :  16:25:42  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are a few temples to the Gnomish gods in Hardbuckler (underground, naturally). According to Demihuman Deities, there is an order called the Knights of the Shadowy Cloak that is affiliated with Baravar Cloakshadow. They like to clandestinely steer non-gnome groups to take out the threats to gnomes (that way, if whomever is being attacked gets mad, they won't connect it to the gnomes and come looking for vengeance). I could see them leaving clues or starting rumors that would inspire an adventure.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000