Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Shades/Shadovar in 5ed
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tyaralt
Acolyte

Brazil
9 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2019 :  16:50:40  Show Profile Send Tyaralt a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Does the 5ed material(1480s DR and beyond) mention the shades and shadovar from Netheril surviving the fall of Thultanthar ?

Even if they were defeated as a powerful empire and world player, some cells of agents and wizards could still survive to be villains in contemporary adventures ? I never liked the Red Wizards world presence as default evil wizards too much.

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2019 :  17:23:44  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Honestly, the shades are probably seriously butt hurt right now.

They were the Netheril, that ruled the world and then were taken down by evil sockpuppets (phrennium).

They managed to survive long enough requiring them transform into shades right now, were bringing back life to the anaorouch and then...they fell into myth drannor.

So all surviving shadovar should have a feeling of self entitlement that clouds their judgement that rationalizes their actions (an example of this would be gul dukat from deep space nine).

and they are bitter which makes them despirate and to do foolish things to get back their prominance.

check out my post-post apocalyptic world at www.drevrpg.com
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2019 :  17:27:38  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, there are surviving Shadovar factions.

https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/after-fall

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2019 :  18:56:05  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also don't forgett, that in multiple novels it was heavily implied, that shade has Holdings in the plane of shadow. So while their main City and the Center of their might is destroyed the rest of their empire might still be intact or maybe in some Kind of civil war where the remaining factions fight for power in the plane of shadows.
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2019 :  23:59:28  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I kind of feel like I need a 3 or 4 edition shade and shar break.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2019 :  00:05:22  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

I kind of feel like I need a 3 or 4 edition shade and shar break.

Shar was the 3e fad, bleeding a bit in 4e; there's far worse than her. Lolth has been at the center of everything since like forever, with plans and events that were total BS, made no sense whatsoever, and ended up making the part of the setting concerning the drow even less nuanced and compelling than it already was (that's a huge feat, you *really* have to try to beat such a low standard). If anything, she's the villain that needs to be ignored for a few editions.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000