Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Important fey figures in the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cosmar
Seeker

88 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2019 :  23:10:02  Show Profile Send Cosmar a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So, there's some lore about the Fey in general in the Realms - like about Crossroads, burial mounds and such - but maybe I'm just not looking in the right books, but it seems like there's a dearth of information about important fey figures in the Realms.

All the player races and most of the monster races have published examples of named, important/notable figures representing their races. But I can't seem to find much about important/named fey. Am I missing something? What books should I read to learn more about them?

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11692 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2019 :  23:30:41  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rashemen has some. Novels point them out for said region (such as the Stag King). Also the Moonshaes have such. Most beings on the power level of like an archfey are in the feywild though and the "important" individuals in the realms are usually just named Fey of some sort. For instance Turlang

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Turlang

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2019 :  02:31:34  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here’s a clip of obscure lore from Monster Manual IV from 3rd edition.

“Unknown to all but the eldest son and daughter of each generation, the Adarbrent noble family of Waterdeep has for decades sent their firstborn to the Kryptgarden forest to pledge an oath to King Witchthorn, a verdant prince. These children must perform an unspecified service for the prince by their eleventh year. In exchange, the family’s businesses and homes gain secret fey guardians. The bargain has worked well for the family; King Witchthorn has never asked any- thing of them. Now the Adarbrents view the verdant prince as a fatherly benefactor, thinking nothing of chaining another generation to whatever dark plans the fey has in store.”

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

BrennonGoldeye
Learned Scribe

105 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2019 :  14:55:18  Show Profile Send BrennonGoldeye a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cosmar

So, there's some lore about the Fey in general in the Realms - like about Crossroads, burial mounds and such - but maybe I'm just not looking in the right books, but it seems like there's a dearth of information about important fey figures in the Realms.

All the player races and most of the monster races have published examples of named, important/notable figures representing their races. But I can't seem to find much about important/named fey. Am I missing something? What books should I read to learn more about them?

Malyanna was a Noble Eladrin/Arch-Fey in The Abolethic Sovereignty books. There are also LeShay running around in the MoonShae.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2019 :  19:55:42  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I briefly detailed a verdant prince in the High Forest (one of several in the great woodland) in Crown of Eaerlann. Here's what I have so far:

Auzkovyn Tangle
For nearly two centuries, the stretch of forest between the Lost Peaks and the Star Mounts known as the Auzkovyn Tangle has been a nigh-impenetrable thicket of thorny vines wrapped around twisted trees with interwoven limbs. The Auzkovyn Tangle, as this region came to be known, was fashioned through the fell sorcery of Clan Auzkovyn, a tribe of Vhaeraun-worshiping drow that attempted to establish a small fastness in the Realms Above after centuries spent as itinerant wanderers in the Underdark. Relentless attacks by the Fair Folk of fallen Eaerlann drove the drow of Clan Auzkovyn to abandon their hard-won home in the Year of the Unstrung Harp (1371 DR), when they fled the High Forest via the Harp Gate in the Tower of Swirling Shards (see page 96) for Battledale, only to come under attack by the Sisterhood of Essembra.
In their wake, this stretch of forest remains a nigh-impassable landscape of nightmares, inhabited by carnivorous plants and dark fey creatures, such as banshrae (MM5) and evil dryads, and ruled by a verdant prince (MM4) known as the Masked King. (The Masked King was born of an evil dryad and Lord Ord Artemel of Waterdeep (CN male Illuskan fighter 9), who found himself stranded in the western High Forest, after uncovering the truth behind the Hunt Lords of Noanar’s Hold. Lord Ord eventually made his way back to Waterdeep and now seeks fitting revenge.)
In the Year of the Unstrung Harp (1371 DR), the Masked King forged an oath bond with Lord Marigaer Ahmaquissar of Teuveamanthaar (see page 139). Under the terms of their agreement, the Masked King agreed to trade drugs from the Underdark to House Ahmaquissar in exchange for information about the movement of wood elf clans through the High Forest. The Masked King uses the information provided by Lord Marigaer to safeguard his kingdom and identify small groups of wood elves to attack.
The Masked King acquires the drugs from Vhaeraun-worshiping drow in the Underdark. He sends various dark fey under his rule via the perilous passages through Rornfaern into the Underdark to prearranged meeting points. The dark fey bring valuable surface goods (rare herbs and foodstuffs) provided by House Ahmaquissar to exchange for drugs by the drow. The Masked King then sends dark fey with the drugs to prearranged meeting points in the High Forest between the Auzkovyn Tangle and Teuveamanthaar. There the dark fey meet with agents of House Ahmaquissar to trade the drugs for sealed scrolls penned by Lord Marigaer.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/

Edited by - ericlboyd on 22 Oct 2019 19:56:25
Go to Top of Page

Cosmar
Seeker

88 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2019 :  21:54:52  Show Profile Send Cosmar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

Here’s a clip of obscure lore from Monster Manual IV from 3rd edition.

“Unknown to all but the eldest son and daughter of each generation, the Adarbrent noble family of Waterdeep has for decades sent their firstborn to the Kryptgarden forest to pledge an oath to King Witchthorn, a verdant prince. These children must perform an unspecified service for the prince by their eleventh year. In exchange, the family’s businesses and homes gain secret fey guardians. The bargain has worked well for the family; King Witchthorn has never asked any- thing of them. Now the Adarbrents view the verdant prince as a fatherly benefactor, thinking nothing of chaining another generation to whatever dark plans the fey has in store.”

Thanks Seethyr, that's pretty cool! I remember reading about Verdant Princes, but didn't know that part.

quote:

Originally posted by ericlboyd

Auzkovyn Tangle
For nearly two centuries, the stretch of forest between the Lost Peaks and the Star Mounts known as the Auzkovyn Tangle has been a nigh-impenetrable thicket of thorny vines wrapped around twisted trees with interwoven limbs. The Auzkovyn Tangle, as this region came to be known, was fashioned through the fell sorcery of Clan Auzkovyn, a tribe of Vhaeraun-worshiping drow that attempted to establish a small fastness in the Realms Above after centuries spent as itinerant wanderers in the Underdark. Relentless attacks by the Fair Folk of fallen Eaerlann drove the drow of Clan Auzkovyn to abandon their hard-won home in the Year of the Unstrung Harp (1371 DR), when they fled the High Forest via the Harp Gate in the Tower of Swirling Shards (see page 96) for Battledale, only to come under attack by the Sisterhood of Essembra.
In their wake, this stretch of forest remains a nigh-impassable landscape of nightmares, inhabited by carnivorous plants and dark fey creatures, such as banshrae (MM5) and evil dryads, and ruled by a verdant prince (MM4) known as the Masked King. (The Masked King was born of an evil dryad and Lord Ord Artemel of Waterdeep (CN male Illuskan fighter 9), who found himself stranded in the western High Forest, after uncovering the truth behind the Hunt Lords of Noanar’s Hold. Lord Ord eventually made his way back to Waterdeep and now seeks fitting revenge.)
In the Year of the Unstrung Harp (1371 DR), the Masked King forged an oath bond with Lord Marigaer Ahmaquissar of Teuveamanthaar (see page 139). Under the terms of their agreement, the Masked King agreed to trade drugs from the Underdark to House Ahmaquissar in exchange for information about the movement of wood elf clans through the High Forest. The Masked King uses the information provided by Lord Marigaer to safeguard his kingdom and identify small groups of wood elves to attack.
The Masked King acquires the drugs from Vhaeraun-worshiping drow in the Underdark. He sends various dark fey under his rule via the perilous passages through Rornfaern into the Underdark to prearranged meeting points. The dark fey bring valuable surface goods (rare herbs and foodstuffs) provided by House Ahmaquissar to exchange for drugs by the drow. The Masked King then sends dark fey with the drugs to prearranged meeting points in the High Forest between the Auzkovyn Tangle and Teuveamanthaar. There the dark fey meet with agents of House Ahmaquissar to trade the drugs for sealed scrolls penned by Lord Marigaer.

That's awesome! Great work!

I think I might go through some of the other 3.e Monster Manuals and other creature supplements to find more tidbits like the one Seethyr had. When I do, I'll make a list here of examples of fey "In the Realms."

I partially was interested because in my current campaign (begun in 1372 DR, now having moved into 1373), we're in a demiplane called the Vale Beyond the Veil that I'm pretty sure my DM made up. We entered via a Crossroads in the western Silverwood. It's a 50-by-100-mile forested demiplane ringed by mountains and ruled by Unseelie Fey. We're here looking for an ancient elven ritual/epic spell called Rain of Embers (no relation to the Book of Exalted Deeds spell), and sometimes as Fire of Arvandor, that was last used in the Seven Citadels War and which now House Dlardrageth is also trying to recover. Supposedly it could incinerate an entire battlefield and is linked with an Aryvandaaran prophecy about the downfall of Malkizid. Last person who used it was an unnamed Champion of Earlann who was sent into the Vale to try and prevent an alliance between the Unseelie Fey and House Dlardrageth. It worked, apparently, but the Champion never returned. So we're there to find Rain of Embers or perhaps this Champion (who might still be alive, since one week in the Vale is the same as a year in Faerun). Our first interaction with the fey nobility has been with a Killoren sorceress who has agreed to help us (by giving all our party members who cannot speak Sylvan the ability to do so, as well as informing us where we need to go to continue our quest), but her price for her aid is that she wants a tooth from each of our skulls (which followed a lecture about semantics and that "words have power here" --we offered gifts from Faerun for her help, but she took offense at the use of the word "gift" for something given in exchange for something we need. She preferred the word "price".) Our party is currently arguing about whether her price is worth it or if we should take our chances and continue wandering in hope of finding other help.

But ANYWAY this whole thing made me wonder about what there is officially published re: the Fey. These answers help a lot, though I am a little surprised there isn't more, considering how much official material there is about almost every other race/monster.

Edited by - Cosmar on 23 Oct 2019 21:59:58
Go to Top of Page

Cosmar
Seeker

88 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2019 :  22:19:55  Show Profile Send Cosmar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Other named fey in the Realms:

Hybsil (Monsters of Faerun): Five Point, 14th-level druid of Lurue, Silver Marches, leader of second-largest druid circle in Northlands. 3 dire wolverines and an owl as companions. 13-gp bounty of Zhentish scalps. (Zhentil Keep has 1-gp bounty per point of hybsil antlers freshly killed.)
Go to Top of Page

prototype00
Acolyte

48 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2019 :  16:30:33  Show Profile  Visit prototype00's Homepage Send prototype00 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Morwel (who is Fey adjacent being an Eladrin when such things were CG outsiders) is canonical to the Realms and was met by Araevin Teshurr in one of the novels (let him cast Elven High Magic by his lonesome by sharing part of her soul essence IIRC).

prototype00
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000