Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Maerimydra
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
3724 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2019 :  17:19:19  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So I'm working on expanding the ideas of my Shields of the North campaign to include the Drow series of modules which come after the Giant Series, and I'm going to need to use Maerimydra for the Drow City.

I want to start sprinkling information (via NPC Drow) into the campaign ahead of time...but I have sparse information on the city:

quote:
Maerimydra

Population: 11 000 (cca 5000 Drow)
Noble Houses (7): Chűmavh(1) (leading house), T’sarran (2) (Kiaransalee), Wharreil (3) (archmage of Maerimydra), Ned’razak (4) (Achmage of Szith Morcane), Mar-Shinn (5) (wizard Szith Morcane)
Morcane (6) (Szith Morcane only – minor house), Dhuurniv (Shadowdale/Shadowdark only – minor house),

Maerimydra lies beneath the heart of the Dalelands, roughly 10 miles below the south-central border of Mistledale. No tunnels lead directly up from the city to Mistledale, but passages
run to Haptooth Hill in Battledale, the Underdark (Shadowdark) beneath Shadowdale, and the outpost of Szith Morcane in the Dagger Hills.

The cavern ceiling is 600 feet high at its highest point, over the boulevard between the Courtyard of Lolth and Castle Maerimydra.

Maerimydra’s fires would have fouled the cavern’s air to a lethal point long ago, but the city’s builders created a number of tiny, hidden portals to the Elemental Plane of Air in the upper reaches of the cavern. Fresh air enters above the noble palaces in the northwest corner, and a soft but noticeable breeze blows south and east, exiting through another array of tiny portals in the vicinity of the East Gate.

While the collapse of buildings has partially blocked an adjoining street with rubble in many places, most of Maerimydra’s streets are relatively clear. The typical street is 20 to 30 feet wide. Grand public staircases lead from one level to another at the spots marked on the map. Each is about 50 feet wide and
50 feet long, ascending or descending about 30 to 40 feet between the city’s various plateaus.

Szith Morcane
The drow settlement of Szith Morcane has lain beneath the Dordrien Crypts for centuries. Founded in 804 DR as an outpost of Maerimydra when that city also ruled Shadowdale,
Szith Morcane served as a supply station for drow operating on the surface and a staging point for occasional raids into Daggerdale. With the flight of the drow from Shadowdale, the
inhabitants of Szith Morcane lost interest in the surface world until the recent arrival of refugees from Maerimydra. Szith Morcane was built inside a complex of caverns, all of
which open out into a vast chasm that penetrates deep into the earth.A large chasm forms the basic structure of Szith Morcane. Six tunnels lead from the southeast side of the chasm wall into the caverns that house the drow outpost. From the floor, the chasm plunges to a depth of 600 feet before ending in a rushing torrent of black water.

Can anyone point me to resources that can help me expand on this?

Maerimydra as it existed during the "days of ye ol' Grey Box" is what I'm after. I play AD&D based on that box; and while information printed after is fine and good, I have no plans for the place to be obliterated or any such.

AD&D for me!

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4558 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2019 :  17:39:25  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll look through my pdfs and see what I can find. I wouldn't expect much though

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
1391 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2019 :  18:16:22  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It sounds like you are working from City of the Spider Queen where ruined Maermydra (post-grey box) is fully detailed. I also worked a decent amount of lore on House Dhurrniv into Shadowdale: The Scouring of the Land which you could use in your write-up. The original lore on House Dhuurniv came from Cormanthyr, pages 29, 30, 44. Note by implication, the Scouring of the Land info on House Dhuurniv is reverse engineered back to the drow mentions in the old grey box.

--Eric

quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

So I'm working on expanding the ideas of my Shields of the North campaign to include the Drow series of modules which come after the Giant Series, and I'm going to need to use Maerimydra for the Drow City.

I want to start sprinkling information (via NPC Drow) into the campaign ahead of time...but I have sparse information on the city:

quote:
Maerimydra

Population: 11 000 (cca 5000 Drow)
Noble Houses (7): Chűmavh(1) (leading house), T’sarran (2) (Kiaransalee), Wharreil (3) (archmage of Maerimydra), Ned’razak (4) (Achmage of Szith Morcane), Mar-Shinn (5) (wizard Szith Morcane)
Morcane (6) (Szith Morcane only – minor house), Dhuurniv (Shadowdale/Shadowdark only – minor house),

Maerimydra lies beneath the heart of the Dalelands, roughly 10 miles below the south-central border of Mistledale. No tunnels lead directly up from the city to Mistledale, but passages
run to Haptooth Hill in Battledale, the Underdark (Shadowdark) beneath Shadowdale, and the outpost of Szith Morcane in the Dagger Hills.

The cavern ceiling is 600 feet high at its highest point, over the boulevard between the Courtyard of Lolth and Castle Maerimydra.

Maerimydra’s fires would have fouled the cavern’s air to a lethal point long ago, but the city’s builders created a number of tiny, hidden portals to the Elemental Plane of Air in the upper reaches of the cavern. Fresh air enters above the noble palaces in the northwest corner, and a soft but noticeable breeze blows south and east, exiting through another array of tiny portals in the vicinity of the East Gate.

While the collapse of buildings has partially blocked an adjoining street with rubble in many places, most of Maerimydra’s streets are relatively clear. The typical street is 20 to 30 feet wide. Grand public staircases lead from one level to another at the spots marked on the map. Each is about 50 feet wide and
50 feet long, ascending or descending about 30 to 40 feet between the city’s various plateaus.

Szith Morcane
The drow settlement of Szith Morcane has lain beneath the Dordrien Crypts for centuries. Founded in 804 DR as an outpost of Maerimydra when that city also ruled Shadowdale,
Szith Morcane served as a supply station for drow operating on the surface and a staging point for occasional raids into Daggerdale. With the flight of the drow from Shadowdale, the
inhabitants of Szith Morcane lost interest in the surface world until the recent arrival of refugees from Maerimydra. Szith Morcane was built inside a complex of caverns, all of
which open out into a vast chasm that penetrates deep into the earth.A large chasm forms the basic structure of Szith Morcane. Six tunnels lead from the southeast side of the chasm wall into the caverns that house the drow outpost. From the floor, the chasm plunges to a depth of 600 feet before ending in a rushing torrent of black water.

Can anyone point me to resources that can help me expand on this?

Maerimydra as it existed during the "days of ye ol' Grey Box" is what I'm after. I play AD&D based on that box; and while information printed after is fine and good, I have no plans for the place to be obliterated or any such.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/

Edited by - ericlboyd on 15 Feb 2019 18:17:42
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2019 :  19:43:33  Show Profile  Send The Masked Mage an AOL message  Click to see The Masked Mage's MSN Messenger address Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is literally nothing from the Old Grey Box days. That goes for the vast majority of the Underdark.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3040 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2019 :  22:09:53  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The FR Wiki can be useful on this particular topic. The article is quite well written, and the references section includes many titles used as sources: https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Maerimydra

To all Facebook-using FR fans, you might be interested in checking out this page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/450517575051806/
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
3724 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2019 :  02:03:38  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

It sounds like you are working from City of the Spider Queen where ruined Maermydra (post-grey box) is fully detailed. I also worked a decent amount of lore on House Dhurrniv into Shadowdale: The Scouring of the Land which you could use in your write-up. The original lore on House Dhuurniv came from Cormanthyr, pages 29, 30, 44. Note by implication, the Scouring of the Land info on House Dhuurniv is reverse engineered back to the drow mentions in the old grey box.

--Eric

I want to avoid the destruction of the city in truth. I found what I quoted in another thread...but it wasn't date specific.

I'm running the "Against the Giants" series in the Dragonspine Mountains where the giants raid outlying areas of recovering Phlan.

That will lead to the Drow series with the goal being the city of Maerimydra instead of the city from the original series. I think it will be a good tie in.

Of course, they have to survive the Slaver Series that they are getting ready to start first...which I've set along the north coast of the Moonsea with Sudherham in the Galena Mountains.

THEN they will go through the Temple of Elemental Evil...

Side Note: they have already been through the "Moathouse" which I added to Sokol Keep with the above ground being that presented by Ruins of Adventure and the catacombs those of the Moathouse. Lareth "the Beautiful" (a human cleric of Lolth) was changed to be a seller of slaves to the Slavers and so there is the start of a tie in between the slavers and the Temple of Elemental Evil (the other being in the adventure A0: Darkshelf Quarry where there is a shrine to an Elemental God too).

After a modified Nulb (in Sulasprynn) they will be in a modified Temple of Elemental Evil in the nearby Galena Mountains...

Then the Giant Series down to the Drow Series and we are full circle.

AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
3724 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2019 :  02:10:58  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess I'll just use relevant information from what I've found (thanks for the wiki reminder!) and expand on it while also joining together the city information from the Drow series.

AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2019 :  02:45:18  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just remember that Maerimydra's location changed between 2e and 3e. In 2e's Guide to the Underdark (which sadly doesn't have any information on the city), it's north of the Dales, a bit north of Voonlar. City of the Spider Queen moves it south, under the forest of Cormanthor. Personally, I've always preferred it in its 2e location; it never seemed believable for it to have survived for millennia if it was directly underneath all those elven realms.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
3724 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2019 :  03:14:21  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

Just remember that Maerimydra's location changed between 2e and 3e. In 2e's Guide to the Underdark (which sadly doesn't have any information on the city), it's north of the Dales, a bit north of Voonlar. City of the Spider Queen moves it south, under the forest of Cormanthor. Personally, I've always preferred it in its 2e location; it never seemed believable for it to have survived for millennia if it was directly underneath all those elven realms.

Yep, it will not be under the Elven Court. Since it is going to tie in with the Against the Giants it will for sure be nearer the Dragonspine Mts.

AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15711 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2019 :  20:10:18  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you want to take the lazy route (although not all that lazy, considering the original D&D world of your modules), just use Erelhei-Cinlu, which was detailed in the 4th edition (IIRC) Drow of the Underdark. In other words, just substitute that city for Maerimmydra, and your good to go. Just leave the FR name - your kids will never now the difference.

I have NO WAY of checking sources ATM... really must remedy that... {Markustay goes looking for a screwdriver...}

EDIT: Actually, if was the 3rd edition DotU. I am just so used to blaming 4e for everything. LOL
Supposedly, Dragon Magazine#298 has more info on the city.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 16 Feb 2019 20:15:59
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
3724 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2019 :  21:51:40  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

If you want to take the lazy route (although not all that lazy, considering the original D&D world of your modules), just use Erelhei-Cinlu, which was detailed in the 4th edition (IIRC) Drow of the Underdark. In other words, just substitute that city for Maerimmydra, and your good to go. Just leave the FR name - your kids will never now the difference.

I have NO WAY of checking sources ATM... really must remedy that... {Markustay goes looking for a screwdriver...}

EDIT: Actually, if was the 3rd edition DotU. I am just so used to blaming 4e for everything. LOL
Supposedly, Dragon Magazine#298 has more info on the city.

I have the original material for "Cinlu" and I was thinking about using it instead.

Dragon Magazine 298...thanks! I'll go read it now.

AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2019 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000