Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Coins and Currencies
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2008 :  19:08:28  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello there!

Is there an article or list that any of you good people know about that discusses all the various coin names, types, and relative values that have been used in the FR setting?

Cheers,

Christopher

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2008 :  02:07:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We have Faraer's ever-wonderful listing:-

"My incomplete list.

/copper/silver/electrum/gold/platinum/other/
Cormyr/thumb/falcon/blue eye/lion/tricrown//
Sembia/steelpense/hawk/electrum/…/—//FRA p. 129
-Selgaunt/penny/raven/ring/fivestar/sun//Sembia novel series
Calimshan///////
-Calimport/unarch/decarch/centarch/bicenta/kilarch//
-Memnon//red worm/////FRA p. 129
…/rada, niften, spanner/espedrille/tazo, zonth////FRA p. 129
Amn/fandar /taran/decime (centaur)/danter/roldon (pearl)//Lands of Intrigue: Amn p. 13
Silverymoon///electrum moon (2/1 ep)////FRA p. 129
Tethyr (new)/donsar (lash)/paxar (blade)/corlar (king)/aenar (queen), brakar (star) (2 gp)/daublar (cup)//Lands of Intrigue: Tethyr p. 15
-Zazesspur////gulder///
-Ithmong////moelan///
-Myratma////myrat///
-Saradush////zoth///
Waterdeep/nib/shard/moon/dragon/sun/toal (2/– gp), harbor moon (50/2 gp)/GTR p. 26
Vast///////
-Ravens Bluff////raven///The City of Ravens Bluff p. 66, 79
Western Heartlands///////
///////
Chessenta//talent//drake///FR10 Old Empires p. 56
Unther/wedge (¼ cp)/egora//sheka///The Alabaster Staff
Serôs (pearls)/white (seyar)/yellow (hayar)//green (tayar)/blue (nuyar)//Sea of Fallen Stars p. 55
?////highcrown (HoF p. 64)/plat//"

A few more mentions I've picked up from various FR sources:-

* Sembian copper pennies
* silver Sembian ravens
* gold coins stamped with circled dragons -- in Waterdeep
* Sembian gold fivestars

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2008 :  02:08:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And Ed has discussed coinage in the Realms in both his compiled '04 and '05 replies here at Candlekeep. See the "So Saith Ed" link in my sig for the compiled files.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2008 :  02:49:37  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed also answered questions of mine regarding portraiture on coins.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2008 :  13:19:19  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, y'all.

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2008 :  01:17:21  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My article on Impiltur in Dragon #346 had a sidebar which dealt with their 'modern' coinage.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2008 :  00:05:02  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's another partial list of Heartlands coinage in one of Ed's 3.5 books, Power of Faerûn.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2008 :  02:19:36  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's a handy, dandy chart of " Coins of the Forgotten Realms" by Rick Underwood at Mike Belecky's Forgotten Realms pages.

I have also given a bump to my questions regarding Skull & Crossbows. I don't think we know yet if copper "octons" are a historic coin of Toril or if they originally came from some other world. If one places the Rock of Bral in Realmspace, the answer might be moot: some of them have probably found their way to Toril whether they originate there or not.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2008 :  04:26:03  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Et voila!

quote:
The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

Posted - 27 Dec 2005 : 02:16:37

Hi, scribes. This time, Ed makes reply to sillaric_culdanin’s most recent query (no, he hasn’t forgotten your Earlann questions, but his answer is unavoidably delayed, for NDA reasons relating to someone else’s not-yet-written project), thus:

Hi. Coins are universally minted in the Realms by hammering metal into flat sheets and after these have cooled, cutting out coins individually by the hold-punch-in-one-hand, whack-it-with-a-hammer method. So each coin is minted by hand, and struck twice: the first punch cuts it out and puts a simple device or mark on one side (often the denomination), and the coin is later placed, already-stamped face down, with many other coins, in a wooden form: a block of wood with a row of cylindrical recesses (“holes,” but not all the way through the wood) drilled in it. A second punch is then placed on each ‘blank’ coin and struck with a hammer, to put a second face (usually a more complex design) on the coins, which are then removed from the rack, the edges buffed and the faces polished by hand, and given to the mintmaster for inspection (“rejects” are melted down immediately, as in the Realms there are no coin-collectors clamouring for rare imperfections -- instead, there are angry merchants and common folk who will report or dagger you for trying to cheat them with a “forgery” (counterfeit coin), if you hand them an imperfect coin).

This question is related to one Jamallo Kreen posted just before yours, and I’ll deal with it next time. Oh, and sillaric_culdanin: you’re very welcome. We both enjoy answering questions and hanging out with fellow gamers; long may it continue.

So saith Ed. As advertised, that answer for Jamallo next time.
love,
THO

quote:
Posted - 28 Dec 2005 : 17:29:36

Hi again, all. Jamallo Kreen posted a many-faceted question for Ed about coinage, and for clarity Ed has elected to answer it point-by-point, thus:

JK: . . .what (in Earth Prime terms) are the prevailing artistic styles of the different regions of Faerun, especially on coinage?

Ed: There are many styles, as I’ve posted here and elsewhere. There are triangular coins, square coins, circular coins, and oval coins (most Faerûnian coins are actually oval), of several different metals, some pierced when minted (for stringing on rings or cords), and many pierced by merchants in practice (very few are cut in half by merchants, because only a few will be honoured as having any value when this is done). In terms of the artistic styles of what’s stamped on their faces: you can find everything in the Realms, from crude scratched numerals to detailed illustrations (though particular countries tend to cling to a consistent style, or at least “artistic level” of style, Calimshan, Sembia, Amn, Cormyr, Silverymoon, and Waterdeep having coins generally considered the artistically finest).

JK: Technologically Waterdeep seems to be comparable to mid-15th century Italy, but that doesn’t imply that its artistic style is the same.
Ed: Comparable, yes, not closely identical, and your conclusion as to artistic style is correct.

JK: Is the numismatic art of the Realms stylized, like Medieval Earth portraiture, or does it attempt to accurately render the image of each person and thing portrayed?
Ed: Some coins have simple devices on them (usually simplified heraldic badges, of the same sort emblazoned on the tunics of soldiers), some have stylized crowns with a name of a ruler under them, and a few (mainly of the realms name above, and of more valuable denominations) have sophisticated “life-like” heads, usually side profiles, like modern real-world coins.

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2019 :  16:25:55  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The list needs some more, like Glory/Weeping Wolf.
Also, that Nimbrian copper coin, though it's probably very rare elsewhere, even along the coast.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

muir
Acolyte

Canada
41 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2019 :  14:38:10  Show Profile Send muir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From the Mages and Sages podcast, episode 12, a discussion of the currencies found in Daztanar and Semphar.

Unique to the region are Gems, sorted for size and clarity, encased in translucent rock crystal.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2020 :  06:20:14  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Christopher,

Here is a good list, but it is not comprehensive:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Currency

For example, it misses Crints from Dambrath. Which is weird, because those are thee larges electrum mines in the world and have enormous impacts on world currency exchange rates, etc.

I'm going to update more soon. Very interested in this.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

Hello there!

Is there an article or list that any of you good people know about that discusses all the various coin names, types, and relative values that have been used in the FR setting?

Cheers,

Christopher

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000