Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Blade Disciple PRC
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AraznBlair
Learned Scribe

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2004 :  16:51:14  Show Profile  Visit AraznBlair's Homepage Send AraznBlair a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
This is my first attempt at a PRC that I want to allow one of my players to pick up if he wants it. I want to make sure that it is balanced overall. I envision that pretty much any class could take it as long as the req's are met but it might be hard for a wizard or sorcerer to take it.

Comments and ideas from any and all of you knowledgable loremasters would be help full.

Blade Disciple (Bld) PRC

Hit Die: d8
Requirements:
To qualify to become a Blade Disciple, a character must fulfill the following criteria:

Alignment: Any
BaB: +6
Feats: Dodge, Weapon Focus - (any bladed weapon)
Skills: Balance 4 Ranks, Concentration 4 Ranks
Special: Must chose a masterwork bladed weapon or minor magical bladed weapon as their chosen blade prior to taking this PRC.
Class Skills:
The Blade Disciple’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Intimidate (Chr), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Search (Int), Spot (Wis)
Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier.

Level BaB F/R/W Saves Special Ability
1 +1 +1/+0/+0 Bonus Feat
2 +2 +1/+1/+0 Blade Dance
3 +3 +2/+1/+1 Blade Attunement I
4 +4 +2/+1/+1 Weapon Affinity
5 +5 +2/+2/+2 Blade of Speed
6 +6 +3/+2/+2 Blade Mastery
7 +7 +3/+3/+2 Blade Attunement II
8 +8 +3/+3/+3 Weapon Affinity
9 +9 +4/+3/+3 Bonus Feat
10 +10 +4/+3/+3 Blade Attunement III

Class Features:
Weapon and Armor Proficiency:
Blade Disciples are proficient with Shields (excluding Tower Shields), and all Simple and Martial Weapons. They gain no additional armor bonuses.
Bonus Feat:
The Blade Disciple gains a bonus feat at 1st and 9th level from those available to fighters.
Blade Dance: (ex, su)
At 2nd level, in light or no armor, the Blade Disciple moves his body and blade in such a way that his movements become a blur to his opponents. In fact the Blade is able to copy the effects of the Blur Spell, giving him all the benefits of that spell. The Blade Disciple can enter this dance a number of times each day equal to his Blade level plus Con bonus.
Blade Attunement I: (su)
At 3rd level, the Blade Disciple is able to draw upon his life force and add it to his attack roll against 1 opponent. This life force draws from the PC’s Hit Points for a max of 1HP per Bld level (3HP at 3rd Lvl, and 7HP at 7th Lvl).
Weapon Affinity I: (ex)
The Blade Disciple has created such a bond with his blade that he is able to instill in the blade certain abilities. At 4th level the Blade can chose any Fighter Feat that he already knows and instill that feat into the his blade, allowing him to select another feat available to fighters.
Blade of Speed:
At 5th level, in light or no armor, the Blade Disciple moves his blade surprisingly fast, giving him a +4 on initiative (this style stacks with any other Initiative bonus). This can be done a number of times each day equal to Blade level plus Dex bonus.
Blade Mastery: (ex)
At 6th level, the Blade Disciple is highly adept at using their blade. He gains the Greater Weapon Focus feat for his blade, and the Weapon Specialization and Greater Weapon Specialization feats are now available to him to learn if they weren't already.
Blade Attunement II: (su)
At 7th level, the Blade Disciple is able to draw upon his life force and add it to both his attack and damage roll against one opponent. This life force draws from the PC’s Hit Points for a max of 1HP per Bld level (3HP at 3rd Lvl, and 7HP at 7th Lvl).
Weapon Affinity II: (ex)
At 8th level the Blade can surrender 2 Hit Points permanently to his blade (these hit points can never be regained by any means); making the weapon a +2 to attack and damage (this stacks with any abilities the blade may already have not to exceed +5).
Blade Attunement III: (su)
At 10th level, the Blade Disciple has attuned himself so much with the blade that he is able to keep the blade on him with out any noticed other than magical divination (DC 10 plus the PRC level and the PC’s Wisdom bonus).

Note: Any Blade Disciple that at any time loses their chosen blade they lose all benefits of the PRC until their blade is recovered. The Disciple will stop at nothing to recover their weapon, as it has become a part of him.

Arazn Blair
Fightermage Extrodinare

Edited by - AraznBlair on 12 Apr 2004 23:27:06

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2004 :  17:46:07  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I noticed a few things in here that can be cleaned up, but I'll have to think about them first.

The one thing I am sure of, though, is that you need a rule covering what happens if the character's blade is destroyed. I've some ideas on that myself, but I thought I should point it out to you first.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

AraznBlair
Learned Scribe

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2004 :  18:10:22  Show Profile  Visit AraznBlair's Homepage Send AraznBlair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any ideas are welcomed. As for what happens if the weapon is destroyed, well the PC can not go any furthure in that class, and possibly (have to think about it) might suffer some retribution damage due to being so attuned with the blade. As I said, ideas are welcomed. I want to make sure that this is well balanced and not over powered.

Arazn Blair
Fightermage Extrodinare
Go to Top of Page

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2004 :  18:37:17  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If the weapon is destroyed, perhaps some sort of ritual could be enacted to repair it, or to form a new one. Of course, this would have to be costly, both in experience and materials needed. Or you could make a quest in which the character had to forge a new blade, which would have to be quite difficult and lengthy.

But what have all the passing years/Done, but breed new angers, fears?/Show me now an equal worth/To innocence I earned at birth.
Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2004 :  22:57:42  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really like this PrC though it seems familiar somehow. My only question would be since the character is required to have 4 ranks in Balance why isn't Balance one of the class skills?

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU
Go to Top of Page

AraznBlair
Learned Scribe

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2004 :  23:26:24  Show Profile  Visit AraznBlair's Homepage Send AraznBlair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found a PRC on another sight that had the basic of what I wanted. I modified it to suit my needs. The other one I felt was too powerful for my campaign in that it gave spells and such.

I never even realized that Balance should be a class skill. It makes sense. I'll make that change. Thanks Wood Elf Ranger.

Arazn Blair
Fightermage Extrodinare
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2004 :  01:05:59  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Arazn, nice to see you back at Candlekeep...

I think the similarity would be due to the Sword Dancer of Eilistraee, where the PC must spend around 6 weeks bonding with her sword... Well, thats what came to mind...

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

AraznBlair
Learned Scribe

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2004 :  01:53:35  Show Profile  Visit AraznBlair's Homepage Send AraznBlair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you Shadowlord. As I said at the birthday party for Candlekeep, I poke my head in every now and then, check some scrolls and so forth. Busy exploring realms far away from Toril.

I have not seen the Sword Dancer of Eilistraee PRC. Not even sure where that is. The Blade Disciple is a combination of two PRC (which I had assumed was homemade) from the DND forums, and my own thinking of what I wanted to see in the class. I wanted to modify one to fit my campaign.

Shadowlord, where can I find the Sword Dancer PRC?

Arazn Blair
Fightermage Extrodinare
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2004 :  02:49:22  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arazn, try looking in Faiths and Pantheons, toward the back of the book. Not exactly sure on the page number right now, but it's late, and I'm tired...

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

Karesch
Learned Scribe

Canada
199 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  03:19:49  Show Profile  Visit Karesch's Homepage Send Karesch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
just some reference material for you AraznBlair not to copy from, but perchance to just review and fill your head with more ideas (I like ur PrC btw) the "complete warrior" on page 49 has the Kensai which has a "signature weapon" which might be interesting reading for you, and the "occult slayer" on page 66 has a "weapon bond" I just finished reading it a couple weeks ago, and am using it presently to help me outline a character, thats why I remembered those, thought it might help you a bit.
K

Knowledge is power... power corrupts... knowledge corrupts? hmm...

Death is only frightening to those who haven't died yet...
Go to Top of Page

AraznBlair
Learned Scribe

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  03:49:45  Show Profile  Visit AraznBlair's Homepage Send AraznBlair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Karesch. I don't have that specific tome and I haven't seen it in the local stores either. While working on this it has given me more ideas already and I noticed a scroll created for thos homebrewed PRC. This is my first, granted I had helped from other Prc's to put this one together but I think I have it down now.

I do however have some questions. EX, SU, SA and others that I have seen mean what? What exactly are these and how do you know which which Special ability do they go with?

Arazn Blair
Fightermage Extrodinare
Go to Top of Page

Karesch
Learned Scribe

Canada
199 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  03:58:23  Show Profile  Visit Karesch's Homepage Send Karesch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ok, I'll endavour to answer this,
SA - Special Attacks
SQ - Special Qualities
SU - Supernatural Ability
EX - Extraordinary Ability

For descriptions of these and how they work, see P126 of the Player's handbook. 3E.

Knowledge is power... power corrupts... knowledge corrupts? hmm...

Death is only frightening to those who haven't died yet...
Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  06:59:53  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AraznBlair
I never even realized that Balance should be a class skill. It makes sense. I'll make that change. Thanks Wood Elf Ranger.

You are very welcome
The Sword Dancer of Eilistraee is featured on pp.205 in Faiths and Pantheons and yes Shadowlord that is also the PrC that I was thinking this one similar to. Though there are many unique differences as well now that I compare them. I have to say I really like this Prc AraznBlair I think its a great mix and would make a very fun character to play

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU

Edited by - Wood Elf Ranger on 14 Apr 2004 07:01:18
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000