Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Need help with my campaign
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2004 :  09:46:53  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi all for a start, finally a forum my players dont read *grin*

I need help finding some ideas for my new campaign. First off, its planned as a long running one, reaching from first level all the way up to 20.

General situation as follows:
The Witch-King of Vaasa somehow managed to transfer his soul into a second phylactery upon his destruction, hidden somewhere in a dungeon deep below the ruins of Castle Perilous. However, his death weakened him too much to take physical form, so he ordered his right hand, a necromancer going by the name of Calnar Shaenathar, to search for a certain artifact rumoured to have been created by Shar herself a long time ago. Said artifact contains a shadow mythallar, and he wants to use the mythallars power to regain his strength.
During the campaign I also plan to have the Sharran clergy trying to get a hold of the mythallar (for obvious reasons, maybe add some Shadovar here), as well as a group of Selűnites (for just as obvious reasons).

The group is starting in Trail's End in Damara. As it looks like, it'll consist as follows:
Human Fighter, former Uthgard - shunned and hunted by his tribe
Human Cleric of Oghma, LG, as the group will find out later, he is a werewolf, afflicted variety
Human Wizard (heading towards Incantatrix later), lives in Trail's End
Human Rogue, multiclassing as Fighter next level. Lives in Trail's End, daughter of two adventurers. Mother still out adventuring, father looking after her.
Human Hexblade

Right at the start the rogue has the problem that her father - earning his living as armor- and blacksmith, for some reason, has not returned from his last tavern walk three days ago. Somehow the rogue and the wizard will find traces indicating he has been taken to the ruins of an Oghma temple destroyed by the Witch-Kings armies in the war. They will hire some help - Fighter and Hexblade - and of course also grab the very curious Oghma cleric.

Now, my idea is that this artifact has been shattered into several pieces, and the party the rogues mother and father once belonged to has stumbled across at least one of them. They only found out that it held power of an undiscernible nature, and brought it to the Temple of Oghma. There it was deemed safer to seal it away for the time being, and the temple clerics and the party hid it in a magically warded, hidden room in the temple.

After finding out about the location of this certain fragment some scoundrels are sent by Calnar to retrieve it. They cant penetrate the ward, and abduct the rogues father, hoping he could help them if appropriatly convinced. Hes just a warrior though, and thus cant. When the party rescues him, one of the scoundrels gets away and can report back to his master. Once Calnar finds out theres an adventurer group having found and carried a fragment for a while, he will look for them, just as the party will so they can get the fragment to safety. Calnar probably also sent some spellcasters to crush the ward on their own.

There, thats a rough draft of what I have set out so far... And now im looking for any ideas, thoughts, suggestions, questions, inflammatory comments and the like :)

silm.pw - A Neverwinter Nights Persistent World

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2004 :  10:24:31  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally Id change it from a Sharan Artifact to Orcus artifact, Orcus has along history with the Witch King and Damara and hes also the Demon Prince of Undeath.

If you do want to stick with the Sharans Id suggest using the Shadow wizards who live in Ironfang keep instead of Shadovar (as there a fair distance away from Damara).

I strongly suggest you buy the old 1st edition module H4 Throne of Bloodstone (you can get it as PSD at SVGAmes.com) which details the WitchKings castle (including a map), I recall theres a large cavern under the castle containing a gate to the Abyss (and an Angel with a really bad Texan ascent)

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2004 :  10:36:41  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Orcus? Maybe... But wasn't he destroyed by Kiaransalee?

Im more favoring Shar right now, simply because it serves to add another twist to the plot by having sharrans chasing the fragments as well - and shadow weave magic goes along well with necromancy and undeath.
Orcus, just like Velsharoon or Kiaransalee as deities of undeath, would probably like to see the Witch-King raise again, and thus would rather help him instead of interfering.

Throne of Bloodstone? I'll check that out, thanks... Think a friend of mine even has it somewhere.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2004 :  12:02:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He was murdered yes, and then deposed.

It wasn't until some time later that it was revealed that Orcus had in fact risen from the dead - as an undead demon - taking the name Tenebrous for a time.

He had spent most of that time hiding in the shadows, bidding his time. Since then, Orcus has reinstated himself in his former position of power in the Abyss taking up the rulership of Naratyr - his power-base fortress city. It just happens to be located on Thanatos, the layer he now rules.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Brother Ezra
Learned Scribe

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2004 :  15:26:03  Show Profile  Visit Brother Ezra's Homepage Send Brother Ezra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd second the Orcus idea, only because I'm using it myself. You can also approach this as a Narfeli or Raumathari artifact instead of a Sharran. The plains of Narfell and the Endless Waste are littered with ruins of ancient Nar and Raumatharran cities, which could easily contain the fragments of the artifact you've designed. Narfell is close enough to Damara to be fairly accessible.

If you're interested, you can also contact me off-list, since I'm currently running a campaign based in Trailsend. I could share some info I've developed with you if it will help.

"Suffering is the touchstone of all spiritual growth."
-St. Sollars the Twice-Martyred

Edited by - Brother Ezra on 06 Apr 2004 19:54:48
Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2004 :  12:09:15  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, I planned to have them chase the fragments all across Faerun. However, I already toyed with the thought of setting at least one of them into a Narfelli or Raumatharan ruin.

I guess I'll ponder about the Orcus thing for a while... I do want to have a third side in the conflict :)

As for that off board contacting Ezra, I'll send you an e-mail within the day then. Thanks for the offer.

@Sage
Thanks, I didnt know Orcus was back. Do you also know what happened to Kiaransalee? She used to rule from Thanatos after destroying Orcus, after all.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2004 :  13:34:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's been a while since I read most of the information involved with the return of Orcus, but as far as I can recall Tenebrous had every intention of "staying low" till he had all the power he needed to put Kiaransalee in the dead book so to speak.... He could then rule over his part of the Abyss once more, with a fury thought long lost to him.

In order to defeat his enemies, Tenebrous needed to find the Wand of Orcus, which had been hidden away by minions of Kiaransalee long before - the drow that hid it subsequently had their memories erased by the Styx, so nobody knows where it is now. That didn't stop Tenebrous from attempting to learn its location through various means, including hunting down various gods of knowledge and divination, grilling them, and then slaying them to preserve its anonymity from those with the power to destroy it.

That's pretty much it...

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2004 :  14:13:03  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

It's been a while since I read most of the information involved with the return of Orcus, but as far as I can recall Tenebrous had every intention of "staying low" till he had all the power he needed to put Kiaransalee in the dead book so to speak.... He could then rule over his part of the Abyss once more, with a fury thought long lost to him.

In order to defeat his enemies, Tenebrous needed to find the Wand of Orcus, which had been hidden away by minions of Kiaransalee long before - the drow that hid it subsequently had their memories erased by the Styx, so nobody knows where it is now. That didn't stop Tenebrous from attempting to learn its location through various means, including hunting down various gods of knowledge and divination, grilling them, and then slaying them to preserve its anonymity from those with the power to destroy it.

That's pretty much it...

Which ignores the fact that Gareth Dragonsbane destroyed the wand of Orcus and part of it is buried in Damara as the seed for a tree that keeps Demons out of Damara so long as its kings are good and just.

In short the planescape version of Orcus return doesnt stack up to FR lore

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2004 :  14:25:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's not entirely true. One of the last PS products sought to combine the two alternate theories concerning Orcus. It included both the original Realms version, and the more recent events of the Dead Gods adventure. But, I guess that since FR moved onto 3e, the original Realms version of Orcus was used.

Just out of curiosity Dargoth, where did you read that? Although I remember the details, I can't remember which sourcebook it was in. If you can tell me, I may be able to do a little comparison of information.

Go to Top of Page

Brother Ezra
Learned Scribe

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2004 :  15:49:47  Show Profile  Visit Brother Ezra's Homepage Send Brother Ezra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

That's not entirely true. One of the last PS products sought to combine the two alternate theories concerning Orcus. It included both the original Realms version, and the more recent events of the Dead Gods adventure. But, I guess that since FR moved onto 3e, the original Realms version of Orcus was used.

Just out of curiosity Dargoth, where did you read that? Although I remember the details, I can't remember which sourcebook it was in. If you can tell me, I may be able to do a little comparison of information.

I think that the information Dargoth references comes from the H1-4 modules and the FR9 accessory "The Bloodstone Lands". I had to deal with the seeming discrepancy with the Wand of Orcus as well, and had Bahamut scatter parts of it across the Realms. The gem at the base of the Wand was used to plant the tree that Dargoth references, but the balance are scattered to the four corners.

I had hoped to develop this idea into an epic level adventure once my players were of sufficient level (which is not for a LONG time)

"Suffering is the touchstone of all spiritual growth."
-St. Sollars the Twice-Martyred
Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2004 :  16:32:35  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm. Of course, that artifact COULD be the Wand of Orcus, being the Witch Kings source of power and all...

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2004 :  07:57:31  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
H4 Throne of Bloodstone and Bloodstone lands source book from 2ed

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2004 :  07:47:39  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, I came up with a slight alteration to my original plan.

Once the group retrieves the fragment, they will try and find a sage with more knowledge about it. Said sage however, is Calnar. Once the group collects all the fragments and hand it to him, he'll teleport back to Castle Perilous to revive the Witch King.

Im torn between having him laugh diabolically and teleport away when they hand him the last fragment, or have them go to rest... Then their "ally"'s house will be attacked by Selunites wanting to retrieve the artifact (they know Calnar is evil). Calnar remains triumphant and disappears (or flees, whatever), and by the time the party arrives there the Selunites will be gone as well. They'd assume from the destruction that the main evil guy was after the artifact and abducted their ally, and would look rather dumbfounded to find Calnar reviving Zheng once they get there.

Just some plans in me mind...

Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2004 :  13:38:03  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Was there ever any stats published for the Witch King?.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2004 :  13:56:44  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

Was there ever any stats published for the Witch King?.

There are in H4 Throne of Bloodstone

Hes a lich with 30th Levels Magic user an Alignment of CE, 85hp and an AC 0

his posessions included a Talisman of Orcus which made him harder to turn

All are 1ed stats

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2004 :  15:11:55  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
30 levels of Magic-User, and only 85 hit points . . .

Is that right?. The allocation of hit points seems a little low, even for a wizard.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2004 :  02:08:02  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

30 levels of Magic-User, and only 85 hit points . . .

Think second edition here. Much different hit point allocation system. Characters only gain hit dice for the first 10 or so levels and then receive a bonus based on their class per level. A wizard gains one hit point per level beyond 10. Constitution bonuses cap out at +2 per hit dice for non-fighter types and are only gained for the first 10 or so levels with hit dice. This means a 2nd edition level 30 wizard with a con of 16 (max bonus) has 10d4 + 40 hp, averaging 65.

The text in the monster manuals for converting wizards to liches was very, very vague and nothing is said on how to convert hit points. Liches are listed as 11+ hd (hd here meaning d8's since they are monsters). However, one must be level 18 in order to become a lich, so it doesn't appear that they convert over on a one for one basis in terms of hit dice and levels. Most DM's merely say they are 11hd.

EDIT: In the case of the witch-king, he is listed at 11 hd and with 83 hp out of a possible 88 hp, he's definitely beaten the curve (monsters gain no bonuses to hp from high con in 2nd edition).

Should you convert him to 3rd edition, he's going to have a whole heck of a lot more hit points: 30d12 + con bonuses.

Sarta

Edited by - Sarta on 16 Apr 2004 02:53:01
Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2004 :  06:20:21  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He's a lich, he gets d12's only and no CON bonus'es :)

I'll have the Witch-King take over the body of his necromancer servant, Calnar. He'll be A Wizard/Cleric/Mystic Theurge, total level 27... With about 200ish hitpoints. Both caster levels range around 17-20, that should cut the deal :)

Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2004 :  08:09:29  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Darkheyr

He's a lich, he gets d12's only and no CON bonus'es :)

Doh, I knew I was forgetting something.

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2004 :  08:47:30  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you mean think 1st EDITION

10d4+20

Magic users only got 1hp per level after 10th level

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2004 :  10:32:35  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, it makes sense now, thanks all .

I think I'd like to play 1e sometime, it seems less restrictive when compared to the rules environment of 3e.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2004 :  15:20:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes, it makes sense now, thanks all .

I think I'd like to play 1e sometime, it seems less restrictive when compared to the rules environment of 3e.

1st edition was quite similar to 2nd edition. There were some changes, sure, but nothing like the changes from 2nd to 3rd.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2004 :  10:07:09  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, I never had the opportunity to play in 2e AD&D. I'm still a relative newcomer to D&D 3.0e/3.5e, so it's enough just learning one rules-system.

Although, I did have the opportunity to play (twice in fact) in Sage's fortnightly OD&D game, it's set on the world of Mystara. OD&D is similar to 1e is it not?.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2004 :  10:16:03  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Unfortunately, I never had the opportunity to play in 2e AD&D. I'm still a relative newcomer to D&D 3.0e/3.5e, so it's enough just learning one rules-system.

In one way your probably lucky that you never played 1ed and 2ed.

Im convinced that 3ed is actually HARDER to learn if youve played the previous editions, people who havent played 1/2 ed seem to pick 3ed up alot quicker

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2004 :  10:43:43  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's both something comforting, and disturbing with hearing that. I thought the whole purpose of the revised 3.5e was to make the system easier to learn?.

Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2004 :  12:42:16  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

you mean think 1st EDITION

10d4+20

Magic users only got 1hp per level after 10th level

Actually, I was factoring in the other +20 hp from a +2 con bonus for his first 10 levels as wizard -- something that existed in both 1st and 2nd edition. My first example was for a non-lich level 30 wizard.

I think we've thread-jacked this pretty well. Perhaps we could start a new thread on 1st and 2nd edition vs. 3.x.

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2004 :  13:42:47  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:

In one way your probably lucky that you never played 1ed and 2ed.

Im convinced that 3ed is actually HARDER to learn if youve played the previous editions, people who havent played 1/2 ed seem to pick 3ed up alot quicker

Actually, that's true. After playing in a 2e environment for so long, when 3e was introduced, I was utterly confused...

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000