Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Atlantis
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Icewolf
Learned Scribe

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2004 :  03:16:42  Show Profile  Visit Icewolf's Homepage Send Icewolf a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
My old group broke up. I am so *[wink]heartbroken[wink]* that I have decided to start work on another adventure to 'take my mind off of my grief'

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

* translate to: Icewolf does a happy dance on the old group's collective grave!

(For those of you not familiar with my group's exploits, take the most annoying group of gamers you know, now make them have IQs of 3 or 4. Now make them think they have the entire rulebook memorized (Incorrectly)

Now, I wish I had ^ that group...

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2004 :  03:44:26  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Avalanche Press released a D20 product called, I believe, Twilight of Atlantis. It contained to my knowledge details on how to run a campaign set in Atlantis. You might want to check out their web site to find out more information.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2004 :  05:21:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As well as the tome Sirius mentioned, there was also a rather extensive campaign site that offered a free setting to download that combined the best elements of the myths of Atlantis (exluding all of Plato's remarks and thoughts), with the concepts of the sunken city of R'lyeh, from the Cthulhu Mythos. I obtained a copy myself, mainly because the material used from the CoC was relevant for one of my own Cthulhu games that I was running at the time.

The writer did some significant research for this project, although I did take issue with some of the books he drew his knowledge from. I'll look for the link and email it out to you.

I'd just as soon send the campaign setting to you instead, but I don't have the permission to distribute it. Also, you have to register at the site, and contribute to the forums on a semi-regular basis in order to download any of the game material.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2004 :  05:27:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Sea of Fallen Stars sourcebook, for 2nd edition, focuses in part on the undersea city of Myth Nantar... However, the only thing it's got in common with Atlantis is that it's underwater. Still, it may prove useful.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2004 :  05:33:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good suggestion Wooly...

Ah yes, and don't forget the Wyrmskull Throne adventure/sourcebook. There was some material about Myth Nantar in that particular tome as well.

Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2004 :  07:18:52  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is Myth Nantar Netherese? THAT would just be perfect. Sunken city from the time of sky cities, throw in a couple of Elder Gods (Cthulhu, Dagon, Hydra, etc) And thy hast a pretty thick plotline... (twisted, out there bordering on insanity plotline... but good storytelling none the less... perhaps tone it down a bit from some of HP lovecraft's work though... after all in that line, win or loose, the world is still doomed, just later rather than sooner)

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2004 :  07:37:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cardinal Deimos

Is Myth Nantar Netherese? THAT would just be perfect. Sunken city from the time of sky cities, throw in a couple of Elder Gods (Cthulhu, Dagon, Hydra, etc) And thy hast a pretty thick plotline... (twisted, out there bordering on insanity plotline... but good storytelling none the less... perhaps tone it down a bit from some of HP lovecraft's work though... after all in that line, win or loose, the world is still doomed, just later rather than sooner)

Nah, the two Netherese cities in the Sea of Fallen Stars are both in ruins. The more intact of the two is near Aglarond, and the Simbul has already had people scouring the ruins.

The onther enclave crashed, and tumbled down a slope... So the ruins were pretty thoroughly smashed.

Go to Top of Page

Icewolf
Learned Scribe

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2004 :  18:10:56  Show Profile  Visit Icewolf's Homepage Send Icewolf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent, excellent. Expected nothing less!

Now the next thing: Where on Toril could it be? While I am passably educated in Faerunian geography, the rest of Toril is an utter mystery to me.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2004 :  18:44:28  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Icewolf

Now the next thing: Where on Toril could it be? While I am passably educated in Faerunian geography, the rest of Toril is an utter mystery to me.

Hells it could be any where off the west of Faerun. When the elves created Evermeet they ripped Faerun apart. (That created the Moonshaes as well, IIRC). So maybe it was a part of Faerun that got ripped off and sunk when the elves created Evermeet.... So stick it any where in the sea to the west of Faerun....

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2004 :  18:51:24  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you need some new players Icewolf? You should know I haven't played the PnP version before but your campaign sounds like a lot of fun and I would love to learn how to play. One big plus is that I KNOW I don't know all the rules

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2004 :  07:25:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

An idea that has wandered thru my mind was that of a Netherese city that was built on the ocean floor, with a dome of air above it. I'd set it somewhere off the Sword Coast, more to the North than the South, and certainly not terribly close to any settled areas.

When Netheril fell, the air shield dissipated. Thus many, many Netherese were either drowned or crushed by the sudden pressure... and some are still around as some weird magically adept form of undead!

I'd not make them liches, but I'd certainly give them a good degree of power. And of course, they keep the area around their city free of all the other intelligent races -- the undersea races have learned that that area is forbidden, though they may not remember the reasons why. After all, it has been 1700 years.

Now, to involve the PCs... Maybe one has some connection to an undersea race (or a prominent NPC does). These undead Netherese are for some reason now expanding their territory, and there's a settlement that is now threatened by this... Actually, it could even be an island settlement that the Netherese have for some reason decided to eradicate.

Another possibility is that Umberlee has noticed these guys, and wants to expand her worship into their city... So the PCs have to somehow prevent this...

Or the head of the Kraken Society has discovered these guys, and wants the power they represent. So the KS would use the PCs as unwitting pawns to contact these Netherese, and perhaps forge some sort of pact with them. The PCs succeed, but then find out what they've really done!

Anyway, some ideas from the random depths of me mind.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2004 :  07:33:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooly, by dome of air I'm assuming you mean something similar, or like the properties offered by the unique mythal that surrounded Myth Nantar that allows land-dwellers to breathe air when underwater?.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2004 :  08:26:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Wooly, by dome of air I'm assuming you mean something similar, or like the properties offered by the unique mythal that surrounded Myth Nantar that allows land-dwellers to breathe air when underwater?.

Well, as I recall, the mythal over Myth Nantar allows both air breathers and water breathers to breath normally. That was not what I had in mind.

I was picturing some major, mythallar-linked spell that actually created a dome of breathable air over the city. That way, the inhabitants could live their lives normally -- they'd not need to waterproof their spellbooks or tie their dirty clothes to the floor to keep them from floating off.

So for all intents, it'd be like a city anywhere in Faerūn -- it's just got water overhead and to the sides.

At least, that's how it was, before Karsus cast his Ultimate Mistake spell and ruined everything.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2004 :  08:31:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm...very interesting, and also an alternative to what was presented with the mythal of Myth Nantar.

I'm going to make use of this idea...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2004 :  16:56:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hmmm...very interesting, and also an alternative to what was presented with the mythal of Myth Nantar.

I'm going to make use of this idea...

Cool!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2004 :  23:34:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Look in the 'Travelogue' soon then Wooly, because what I'll write-up will most likely be a great location for the Realms, that I can include in the tome...

Go to Top of Page

Icewolf
Learned Scribe

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2004 :  02:03:02  Show Profile  Visit Icewolf's Homepage Send Icewolf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Woah. Nice ideas. As for involving the PCs, I was thinking of involving a Portal of some kind. If the natural curiosity usually present in adventurers doesn't show its otherwise predictable head, and magical Telekinesis ward (Discharging all at once, of course) will knock them through the gate. I have my Evil DM license, so its ok to do stuff like that.

As for joining my campaign, once I have it anywhere near finished, I'll decide on my options for putting it to use. My Girlfriend said she'd play, as long as she can quit if she finds it boring (a right everyone has, but if you quit my adventures, I find a grisly and disgusting way to kill the character off, as I find it amusing to me, and usually the remaining players.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2004 :  02:20:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Woah. Nice ideas. As for involving the PCs, I was thinking of involving a Portal of some kind. If the natural curiosity usually present in adventurers doesn't show its otherwise predictable head, and magical Telekinesis ward (Discharging all at once, of course) will knock them through the gate. I have my Evil DM license, so its ok to do stuff like that.

I dunno, forcing them thru the portal seems a bit heavy-handed to me... 'Tis just my opinion, of course.

Let's see, ways to make them go thru the portal...

An important NPC is kidnapped, and the trail leads to the portal...

The PCs stumble across the bad guy, who's here looking for the portal. They find him as he finds the portal. A battle ensues, and it turns against him. Just before he is killed, he makes a mad dash and leaps thru the portal.

The PCs have just defeated some baddie, and in that baddie's lair, they find a mysterious item and a description in a tome that leads them to the portal...

Again, that's just a few quick ideas. Enjoy!

quote:

Look in the 'Travelogue' soon then Wooly, because what I'll write-up will most likely be a great location for the Realms, that I can include in the tome...

Coo! I look forward to reading it! Let me know when you're done with it.

Go to Top of Page

Icewolf
Learned Scribe

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2004 :  03:04:50  Show Profile  Visit Icewolf's Homepage Send Icewolf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I dunno, forcing them thru the portal seems a bit heavy-handed to me... 'Tis just my opinion, of course.

Let's see, ways to make them go thru the portal...

An important NPC is kidnapped, and the trail leads to the portal...

The PCs stumble across the bad guy, who's here looking for the portal. They find him as he finds the portal. A battle ensues, and it turns against him. Just before he is killed, he makes a mad dash and leaps thru the portal.

The PCs have just defeated some baddie, and in that baddie's lair, they find a mysterious item and a description in a tome that leads them to the portal...

Again, that's just a few quick ideas. Enjoy!

Seems good, but I'm looking for a 'trapped' kind of feeling in this portion. Sort of like 'We didn't want to come here, we don't wanna stay here, so lets do what we can to find a way out.'

If they come through the portal willingly, I'll have something else worked up to inspire the feeling. [starts muttering to himself] Maybe a one-way portal, or a trap destroys the portal after they come through. [/muttering]
Go to Top of Page

Daseroth
Acolyte

10 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2004 :  03:48:59  Show Profile  Visit Daseroth's Homepage Send Daseroth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WOW you guys are wizes when it comes to the DMing protion of this, i am only a novice DM, but to get the players through the portal, why not send them into an almost unwinnable situation, like, the are caught, by say.... a group of thavian wizards and while they are running they find an old man, and their only other option than fighting them is to trust the old man wno would be... probably wearing rags, the man could be one of the undead in the city, or if you wanted to be really sadistic, he could be another red wizard who thinks it would be hilarious, to send adventurers into this underwater hell
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2004 :  06:03:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daseroth

WOW you guys are wizes when it comes to the DMing protion of this, i am only a novice DM, but to get the players through the portal, why not send them into an almost unwinnable situation, like, the are caught, by say.... a group of thavian wizards and while they are running they find an old man, and their only other option than fighting them is to trust the old man wno would be... probably wearing rags, the man could be one of the undead in the city, or if you wanted to be really sadistic, he could be another red wizard who thinks it would be hilarious, to send adventurers into this underwater hell

Daseroth, would you believe I've never DM'ed? I've not even gotten to play D&D since before 3rd edition came out!

When I find another job, one that lets me work days, I think I may finally try to find another gaming group. Most of my old gaming group has moved and/or has conflicting schedules, and there's also a bit of drama that prevents us from ever fully assembling again...

But I have been trying to stay up on my Realms knowledge.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000