Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Waterdeep Building Plans from City System
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mankyle
Acolyte

Spain
42 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2018 :  20:32:24  Show Profile Send Mankyle a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi there

I'm planning to start in a couple of months a new intrigue cloak & dagger campaign in Waterdeep and I have started reengineering a couple of the building plans that came originally with the 2nd edition supplement "City System".

What it started as a side project has rapidly evolved to a HUGE undertaking and I have right now over 20 building plans in different states of completion.

Even as they are not HQ, I think they are much better that the ones that came with the City System Supplement while still being useful for playing.

Would I get into trouble if I upload them somewhere? I mean.... they are maps from a 30 year old supplement.
Or would I have to upload them through DMsguild in order to avoid legal problems??

Thanks mates

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2018 :  21:54:59  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fan based do not tend to cause problems if posted on a website. Much depends as far as law goes how much if any copyright material you offer. Thirty years old is not a defense if you violate copyright law.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2018 :  00:13:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would just post them somewhere. I use DeviantART, and have never had problems. I also sometimes use Imgur, if its just a 'snapshot' of something.

Definitely share. They'd probably even host them here - there is at least one map from a novel hosted here, and its been there for like 15 years.

What do you mean by 'HQ'? High Quality? You mean High-Def? I might be able to even fix that, if it just a line drawing. What Res are you using? I used to use 72 years ago, but now everything I do is 300 ppi. Not only does it look better, it makes it easier to blow them up to do more detailed regional maps (not that that applies for buildings... although I did start a city map once that I had intended to show all the furniture... thank god I came to my senses). I am talking about a cit that would have had over 50K individual buildings when I was done. I would have needed several lifetimes, me thinks).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 29 Jan 2018 00:14:14
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2018 :  00:23:25  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I used to use 72 years ago, but now everything I do is 300 ppi.

I did not know you were that old. ;)

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Mankyle
Acolyte

Spain
42 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2018 :  12:55:40  Show Profile Send Mankyle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Definitely share. They'd probably even host them here - there is at least one map from a novel hosted here, and its been there for like 15 years.

Well.
I have created a fast and dirty pdf with the images so you can see what I have done. They are not finished and still lack a lot of details but I think they are fairly usable

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yRr2i01h33iPGUk_JMqOy7c8RlrcLSy-/view?usp=sharing

I have around 18-20 more building plans in various stages of drawing.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2018 :  20:38:19  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those are very well done. I've always wanted to take a crack at the Yawning Portal m'self, but mostly to make it not so... YAWNING.

Canon or no, if I redrew it (I never go anywhere near Waterdeep, so that's not likely), I would make the portal well-sized.

Nice job.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Mankyle
Acolyte

Spain
42 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2018 :  20:52:34  Show Profile Send Mankyle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Those are very well done. I've always wanted to take a crack at the Yawning Portal m'self, but mostly to make it not so... YAWNING.

Canon or no, if I redrew it (I never go anywhere near Waterdeep, so that's not likely), I would make the portal well-sized.

Nice job.

OMG
Being praised by Markustay is almost as good as being given a High Five by Ed Greenwood

Regarding the Yaning Portal....
The original plan in Cityu System had a normal sized well (5 feet diameter) in the drawing. But the description has always been of a muche bigger well.

I will post very soon a couple more building plans (mainly a couple Noble Families Villas and two of the temples)

Edited by - Mankyle on 29 Jan 2018 20:55:13
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2019 :  16:31:28  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I loved your Yawning Portal map.

I hope you are still about and plan to share more. :)

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2020 :  08:45:02  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seeker Mankyle,

Do you have any more of those maps? They are really cool. I agree that the Yawning Portal one is fantastic! I'd love to know how far you have gotten on that in the last couple of years.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Mankyle

quote:

Well.
I have created a fast and dirty pdf with the images so you can see what I have done. They are not finished and still lack a lot of details but I think they are fairly usable

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yRr2i01h33iPGUk_JMqOy7c8RlrcLSy-/view?usp=sharing

I have around 18-20 more building plans in various stages of drawing.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2020 :  21:00:32  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Nice job.

This is awesome, do not stop!
OMG
Being praised by Markustay is almost as good as being given a High Five by Ed Greenwood

The original plan in Cityu System had a normal sized well (5 feet diameter) in the drawing. But the description has always been of a muche bigger well.

I will post very soon a couple more building plans (mainly a couple Noble Families Villas and two of the temples)

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2020 :  23:14:30  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Senior Scribe Cards77,

I just went and cracked that boxed set and sure enough, Map 7 show it hidden away in a back room with only approximately 5 feet of clearance. That is really bizarre. I forgot about that on that map, in that way. I've always (though rare it happens I run campaigns that ever have anything to do with Waterdeep) had it in the main room and enormous.

Your map at a 40' diameter is fantastic! I'm going to utilize that if you don't mind? :)

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Cards77

quote:

quote:

Nice job.

This is awesome, do not stop!
OMG

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000