Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Waterdeep Building Plans from City System

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mankyle Posted - 28 Jan 2018 : 20:32:24
Hi there

I'm planning to start in a couple of months a new intrigue cloak & dagger campaign in Waterdeep and I have started reengineering a couple of the building plans that came originally with the 2nd edition supplement "City System".

What it started as a side project has rapidly evolved to a HUGE undertaking and I have right now over 20 building plans in different states of completion.

Even as they are not HQ, I think they are much better that the ones that came with the City System Supplement while still being useful for playing.

Would I get into trouble if I upload them somewhere? I mean.... they are maps from a 30 year old supplement.
Or would I have to upload them through DMsguild in order to avoid legal problems??

Thanks mates

10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 05 Mar 2020 : 23:14:30
Senior Scribe Cards77,

I just went and cracked that boxed set and sure enough, Map 7 show it hidden away in a back room with only approximately 5 feet of clearance. That is really bizarre. I forgot about that on that map, in that way. I've always (though rare it happens I run campaigns that ever have anything to do with Waterdeep) had it in the main room and enormous.

Your map at a 40' diameter is fantastic! I'm going to utilize that if you don't mind? :)

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Cards77

quote:
Originally posted by Mankyle

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Those are very well done. I've always wanted to take a crack at the Yawning Portal m'self, but mostly to make it not so... YAWNING.

Canon or no, if I redrew it (I never go anywhere near Waterdeep, so that's not likely), I would make the portal well-sized.

Nice job.

This is awesome, do not stop!
OMG
Being praised by Markustay is almost as good as being given a High Five by Ed Greenwood

Regarding the Yaning Portal....
The original plan in Cityu System had a normal sized well (5 feet diameter) in the drawing. But the description has always been of a muche bigger well.

I will post very soon a couple more building plans (mainly a couple Noble Families Villas and two of the temples)

Cards77 Posted - 05 Mar 2020 : 21:00:32
quote:

quote:

Those are very well done. I've always wanted to take a crack at the Yawning Portal m'self, but mostly to make it not so... YAWNING.

Canon or no, if I redrew it (I never go anywhere near Waterdeep, so that's not likely), I would make the portal well-sized.

Nice job.

This is awesome, do not stop!
OMG
Being praised by Markustay is almost as good as being given a High Five by Ed Greenwood

The original plan in Cityu System had a normal sized well (5 feet diameter) in the drawing. But the description has always been of a muche bigger well.

I will post very soon a couple more building plans (mainly a couple Noble Families Villas and two of the temples)

cpthero2 Posted - 05 Mar 2020 : 08:45:02
Seeker Mankyle,

Do you have any more of those maps? They are really cool. I agree that the Yawning Portal one is fantastic! I'd love to know how far you have gotten on that in the last couple of years.

Best regards,

quote:

quote:

Definitely share. They'd probably even host them here - there is at least one map from a novel hosted here, and its been there for like 15 years.

Well.
I have created a fast and dirty pdf with the images so you can see what I have done. They are not finished and still lack a lot of details but I think they are fairly usable

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yRr2i01h33iPGUk_JMqOy7c8RlrcLSy-/view?usp=sharing

I have around 18-20 more building plans in various stages of drawing.

Dalor Darden Posted - 13 Dec 2019 : 16:31:28
I loved your Yawning Portal map.

I hope you are still about and plan to share more. :)
Mankyle Posted - 29 Jan 2018 : 20:52:34
quote:

Nice job.

OMG

Markustay Posted - 29 Jan 2018 : 20:38:19

Nice job.
Mankyle Posted - 29 Jan 2018 : 12:55:40
quote:

Definitely share. They'd probably even host them here - there is at least one map from a novel hosted here, and its been there for like 15 years.

Well.
I have created a fast and dirty pdf with the images so you can see what I have done. They are not finished and still lack a lot of details but I think they are fairly usable

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yRr2i01h33iPGUk_JMqOy7c8RlrcLSy-/view?usp=sharing

I have around 18-20 more building plans in various stages of drawing.
Kentinal Posted - 29 Jan 2018 : 00:23:25
quote:

I used to use 72 years ago, but now everything I do is 300 ppi.

I did not know you were that old. ;)
Markustay Posted - 29 Jan 2018 : 00:13:51
I would just post them somewhere. I use DeviantART, and have never had problems. I also sometimes use Imgur, if its just a 'snapshot' of something.

What do you mean by 'HQ'? High Quality? You mean High-Def? I might be able to even fix that, if it just a line drawing. What Res are you using? I used to use 72 years ago, but now everything I do is 300 ppi. Not only does it look better, it makes it easier to blow them up to do more detailed regional maps (not that that applies for buildings... although I did start a city map once that I had intended to show all the furniture... thank god I came to my senses). I am talking about a cit that would have had over 50K individual buildings when I was done. I would have needed several lifetimes, me thinks).
Kentinal Posted - 28 Jan 2018 : 21:54:59
Fan based do not tend to cause problems if posted on a website. Much depends as far as law goes how much if any copyright material you offer. Thirty years old is not a defense if you violate copyright law.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000