Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Abeir <=> Toril.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2020 :  03:18:16  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Are there any canonical ways to get from one to the other now? Are there portals anywhere? Can I carjack that cute little Nautilus and fly my way on over?

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2020 :  04:27:48  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Abeir is said to share Toril's orbit in Realmspace but be positioned at the exactly opposite point of that orbit. Also said to be somehow "out of phase" with the rest of Realmspace (and the rest of D&D cosmology). Deliberately isolated (by Ao) in a self-contained dimension, it is after all something of a prison for Primordials who would otherwise destroy the Realms.

Abeir cannot be found in Wildspace, so it's effectively a planet unreachable by spelljammer,

Abeir lacks any entry vectors (pools, curtains, etc) in the ethereal or in the astral, so it's effectively an Alternate Prime unreachable by planeswalking.

Abeir apparently can't even be scried or otherwise revealed by divinations. (Though I'm unsure about the source of this claim.)

I would say Abeir could be reached by spells like Teleport Without Error, Gate, Worldwalk, Wish, etc - and through Sigil (if you could find the portal).
But that's assuming access is not being actively blocked and denied (by Ao). And, as is always the rule with godly/cosmic Powers in D&D, no other beings (not even Ao's "boss" or "peers") would be able to defy Ao's supremacy and Ao's will within Ao's own domain.

So I think it's really less a question about transportation mode, more a question about border enforcement. Does Ao allow Toril and Abeir to interact?

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 04 Mar 2020 04:32:19
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2020 :  05:07:17  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Ayrik,

What is the source of Ao isolating Abeir like that, and why is that happening?

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Abeir is said to share Toril's orbit in Realmspace but be positioned at the exactly opposite point of that orbit. Also said to be somehow "out of phase" with the rest of Realmspace (and the rest of D&D cosmology). Deliberately isolated (by Ao) in a self-contained dimension, it is after all something of a prison for Primordials who would otherwise destroy the Realms.

Abeir cannot be found in Wildspace, so it's effectively a planet unreachable by spelljammer,

Abeir lacks any entry vectors (pools, curtains, etc) in the ethereal or in the astral, so it's effectively an Alternate Prime unreachable by planeswalking.

Abeir apparently can't even be scried or otherwise revealed by divinations. (Though I'm unsure about the source of this claim.)

I would say Abeir could be reached by spells like Teleport Without Error, Gate, Worldwalk, Wish, etc - and through Sigil (if you could find the portal).
But that's assuming access is not being actively blocked and denied (by Ao). And, as is always the rule with godly/cosmic Powers in D&D, no other beings (not even Ao's "boss" or "peers") would be able to defy Ao's supremacy and Ao's will within Ao's own domain.

So I think it's really less a question about transportation mode, more a question about border enforcement. Does Ao allow Toril and Abeir to interact?

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6647 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2020 :  11:04:08  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not yet.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2020 :  13:26:07  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The whole Abeir/Toril split seemed really Eberronish to me. The planes being out of phase and then coming into phase. My two coppers...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2020 :  14:15:15  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Will you be adding new ones George or rewriting old ones (cough wildtide gate cough)

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2020 :  15:29:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been playing with an alternate spin, of late: the primordials were kicked off Abeir-Toril, but the whole splitting the world and all that never happened. They settled on some other world, somewhere else... But they were pissed, and wanted to go back. So they named their new world Abeir, as a constant reminder of their goal of returning.

Millennia later, they'd devastated parts of Abeir in their wars against each other. They had some choice areas that had been protected/restored, but everything else had been heavily damaged. The remaining primordials got together and did some huge magical ritual, and that ritual was what caused the Spellplague -- destabilizing the Weave was part of it, and helped them transpose their chosen lands with pieces of Toril.

The whole twinning of the world thing, and the coming into phase thing, was all PR spin.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2443 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2020 :  15:36:04  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In “Eye on the Realms: The Sundering: To Rule Two Worlds” (Dragon 427), Ed mentions some individuals that were securing such gates between Abeir and Toril in 1486 DR, for their own ends. Maybe they succeeded, if you need such a gate.

There is one gate confirmed in canon, as well, in "The Devil You Know" novel. There is a portal in Arush Vayem, a small village in no one maps, in the Tymanther side of the Smoking Mountains. Is keyed to the spellscar of a warlock known as Caisys the Vicelord. The characters of the novel also mention that any surviving Plagueland (there are a few post-Sundering, according to Ed) may still contain portals connecting both worlds, if you survive the trip to such a place.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 04 Mar 2020 15:44:51
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2020 :  19:42:41  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

I hear ya on the alternate spin. I've ignored the Spellplague, and have just written my own timeline after that that incorporates some things that happened after the Spellplague, but just condensed the 100 year gap by about 90 years. It's made it a lot easier, less crazy, and more consistent.

You'll be happy to know that your favorite Harper, Bran, has moved on in a skulking, angry way in my timeline.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I've been playing with an alternate spin, of late: the primordials were kicked off Abeir-Toril, but the whole splitting the world and all that never happened. They settled on some other world, somewhere else... But they were pissed, and wanted to go back. So they named their new world Abeir, as a constant reminder of their goal of returning.

Millennia later, they'd devastated parts of Abeir in their wars against each other. They had some choice areas that had been protected/restored, but everything else had been heavily damaged. The remaining primordials got together and did some huge magical ritual, and that ritual was what caused the Spellplague -- destabilizing the Weave was part of it, and helped them transpose their chosen lands with pieces of Toril.

The whole twinning of the world thing, and the coming into phase thing, was all PR spin.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2020 :  23:41:23  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Was it ever actually ever cleared up where exactly "Abeir" was? Cause I know it was never really elaborated on- much to my consternation- back in the day.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2020 :  00:50:57  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Abeir - along with what it is, why it is, and where it is - is described in 4E Realmslore. It's the "other" side of the whole Spellplague mess.

I imagine that any further details about Abeir would've been published throughout 4E.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2443 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2020 :  00:54:04  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-Was it ever actually ever cleared up where exactly "Abeir" was? Cause I know it was never really elaborated on- much to my consternation- back in the day.

It's another planet that exist in Realmspace but out of sync with the rest of it. I have compiled all that I know here:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Abeir

Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2020 :  01:31:29  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why go “out of sync” when a demiplane, alternate reality, just Realmspace or even a “pocket dimension” would do just fine? Why something we’ve never heard of before?

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2443 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2020 :  01:46:26  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dunno why. But that's the explanation the designers gave. I have one theory, and it seems is that they wanted Abeir to be some sort of "parallel world" (as mentioned in "Volo's Waterdeep Enchiridion"). But that's just my theory.

Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2020 :  03:41:48  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

Dunno why. But that's the explanation the designers gave. I have one theory, and it seems is that they wanted Abeir to be some sort of "parallel world" (as mentioned in "Volo's Waterdeep Enchiridion"). But that's just my theory.

My Dragonlance lore is weak, but wasn’t there something similar done with Krynn? Didn’t Takhisis hide it away during a Chaos War or something like that?

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2020 :  05:11:47  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Zeromaru X,

Thanks for putting that together. I am a pre-Spellplague guy so that was quite helpful!

Best regards,

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

It's another planet that exist in Realmspace but out of sync with the rest of it. I have compiled all that I know here:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Abeir

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2443 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2020 :  14:54:33  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

quote:

My Dragonlance lore is weak, but wasn’t there something similar done with Krynn? Didn’t Takhisis hide it away during a Chaos War or something like that?

Yeah, that happened. Takhisis also brought some alien dragons that came from a dragon-dominated world, who were stronger than the norm and didn't know anything about gods (as Takhisis was a puzzle to them).

It really screams "Abeir" to me.

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 05 Mar 2020 15:36:51
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2020 :  01:29:58  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

quote:

Yeah, that happened. Takhisis also brought some alien dragons that came from a dragon-dominated world, who were stronger than the norm and didn't know anything about gods (as Takhisis was a puzzle to them).

It really screams "Abeir" to me.

I didn't know the part about "didn't know anything about gods". I had proposed in the past that the giant dragons of Krynn might have some kind of ties to Abeir, but this makes it even more of a believable idea. I'd also played with the idea that the process to create draconians had been originated in Abeir long ago and that Takhisis had stolen it.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000