Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Why Correlon is a #@^%*!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

TBeholder
Great Reader

2388 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2018 :  19:05:41  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote

quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

After a while, FR started messing up the elves, in my opinion. At first, they were obviously the victims - on the run from everyone and only hanging on by their fingernails. Then they came up with the ancient history that basically blames the elves for all their problems with every races, including but not limited to humans, dragons, even the drow. How things got so messed up that the descent of the drow is morally ambiguous is beyond me.

Why do you use "things got" and "after a while" is beyond me. Especially seeing how neither part of this could possibly have much sense without the rest.

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-Memnon (creation of the Calim Desert)

No, that's also elves - by binding Calim and Memnon.

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

The Vyshaan Elves of Aryvandaar mated with demons, murdered millions of their fellow elves, enslaved them, created Weapons of Mass Destruction, consorted with all sorts of fiends and monstrous entities... and Corellon thought that was just adorable. He even kichy-cooed them under their chins.

Perhaps not "kichy-cooed"...
And eventually they were exposed and exterminated. But yeah, it appears that of many reprehensible acts, the only thing that really mattered to the Seldarine was growing apostasy.
Which could have been aggravated and sped up by their inaction, as some were bound to interpret it as negligence or even tacit approval of various messed up things.

quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

This. Well said. Corellon isn't detached, but he encourages the elves to grow and discover.

And they need it, indeed. It's not amount of attention, it's the style. In that the Seldarine were a bit lax on guidance, but dragged the elves' butts out of fire a lot. Enough that they are mostly unable to learn from their own mistakes and despite all their supposed advantages barely manage to survive with repeated divine interventions. Quantity of divine oversight is not the problem here - if molly-coddled any more, they would not be viable at all without constant babysitting.
Let's compare to the drow? Most of them still require constant divine oversight to prevent self-extermination. Yvonnel Baenre got her position for having some good sense, and even she eventually lost her cool and started taking stupid risks. But they learned after turning one of their settlements into Great Rift.
The surface elves seem to have even more of self-destructive habits than these. Which is no small "accomplishment".

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2018 :  00:55:11  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the calim desert might not have been just the fault of the elves.... teh two geniekins were waging war on each other that could have and very much likely broken into their neighbors,,,,,

but that is my thinking of it....

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2388 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2018 :  19:07:31  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

the calim desert might not have been just the fault of the elves.... teh two geniekins were waging war on each other that could have and very much likely broken into their neighbors,,,,,

The squabble between the empires of exiled genies was destructive, yes. But it was also inherently limited. Without heavy external meddling, a war would lead to either elimination of one side or exhaustion of both, and then end, as usual. Without their spirits chained to the place and raging at each other forever, there won't be anything to continue degradation or keep the place down indefinitely.
Calimshan economy and magic seem to be strong enough to greatly improve the land in a few centuries, even if they started with a desert (though it probably won't be quite that bad by the time they'd stop).

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000