Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Reimagining Old Empires
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 23

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
5339 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2018 :  04:11:14  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The effect of gorgon's blood is set out in Volo's Guide to All Things Magical. Have never read anything about the effects of dragon's blood as anything other than a spell/magic item component (and allegedly vitality/long life properties). Iron golems? Why, they are a holdover from the great rebellion against their Imaskari overlords. A bit like re-programming Arnie to be your own Terminator.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4207 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2018 :  07:44:33  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cheers George, I shall look up volos guide immediately. I completely forgot I made up golems gates of inupras for Gilgeams history. Now all I need to do is figure out what items are in the vault and what the vault was originally used for before the mulhorandi discovered it so I can put in a few hidden evils

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4207 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2018 :  18:30:23  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So gorgons blood is used to block magical travel through a building, an excellent defence to put around a vault. Perhaps a dragon's blood provides resistance to transmutation (changing rock to mud is a way to get access through a building).

Now I like the gorgons blood idea, however, I don't like common place monsters (That's for random encounters). So I need an origin for this gorgon that makes it unique to the old empires region but close enough to a gorgon that no one would know the difference.

Given that iron golems were just mentioned, and the fact that gorgons are described as having metal scales, and that they have an odd breath weapon like an iron golems, perhaps they are not a magical creature at all but a golems like creation.

I'm thinking the imaskari tried to subsidise their golems with real creatures to make them breed true so they didn't have to keep creating them. So try and craft iron skin onto the bald rothe (with huge horns) that inhabits mulhorand (and formerly raurin), graft a few special organs into it (to give it a breath weapon - I don't think I will use a petrification breath weapon though) and make it unable to travel extra dimensionally so it can't accidentally blunder through a portal created by the imaskari.

Gorgons are completely insane, hence the heightened aggression and inability to domesticate. Their numbers are very low as they often attack each other (reducing breeding potential). Maybe as a quirk I will give them an unlimited growth potential providing they have enough food, but they have to shed their skin to increase in size (making a nice suit of armour), and during this shedding they are most vulnerable.

Just a thought or two for the dreaded southern gorgon. Just need a name now that is mulhorandi enough, means something to do with a cow and sounds dangerous.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
5339 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2018 :  22:41:17  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hirathur as in "stone bull" (hira: stone, thur: bull).

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
7593 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2018 :  06:24:26  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I LIKE that idea for the gorgons, especially the unlimited size growth thing. So many of the Untheric/Mulhorandi deities in real world have ties to bulls that there should be something special about unusual bulls in the area.

Oh, another not well documented use for gorgon's blood (or gorgon meat used in recipes). Small quantities, when added to beef stew or vegetable soup, can add real "zest" to the flavor. One must be careful though, as it has a tendency to cause constipation if overused. One poor starving fellow who slew a gorgon had to have break enchantment cast upon him whilst seated on a bedpan chair situated over a very deep bucket, which resulted in some very loud and explosive diar… nevermind, I digress.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4207 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2018 :  08:00:38  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perfect name, cheers George. I'm not sure if im going to make the gorgon unique or not (give him regenerate and make him immortal, etc) then he could be the legendary stone bull of the southern pass who stomps unwary travellers into mush (which is why no one travels into raurin through that huge gap between the dragonsword and mountains in Durpar).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4207 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2018 :  21:08:28  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well unless there is a response from Ed I've decided to call the rothe in Mulhorand Wefarthe (shadow cows).

I've made them black or ash grey all over. Spiky, thick bristles run down the neck. Males have two large, sharp horns that point forward. They are slim and tall, capable of great speed but unable to bear a rider (breaks the back).

The Wefarthe roam the lands of Mulhorand, Unther, Murghom and Semphar, and they used to be common in Raurin but the desert has destroyed the large herds that used to migrate across that land.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4207 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2018 :  12:48:47  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, I've seen a few hints at tomes of thoth and the book of the dead scattered throughout sources about Mulhorand.

I've been struggling to rationalize what they are and what they do. Then reading Scott Bennie's enhancement to the Old Empires sourcebook I found this

quote:
The most mysterious of
the works of Mulhorand is the sacred tome called the Book of the Dead, the text of all Mulhorandi
religions. The scholars and clergy of Mulhorand spend a lifetime pondering the secrets of this book, but a
handful of Thoth's worshippers obtain a special understanding of its mysteries. These understandings
give them power over the written word, and access to a number of sacred words only known to Thoth,
words of great divine power, words that represent the eight parts of the human soul.

It sounds an awful lot like if you read the book and you understand magic (Thoth being the god of magic and his followers being interested primarily in magic) then you acquire deeper insight into the mysteries of magic. I can think of another artifact that does such a thing; the Nether Scrolls.

The Imaskarcana are a transformed set of Nether Scrolls, we know of a crown (first), a scepter (fifth), a book (third), and I think I've read of a key (seventh). Now I was tempted to make the Book of the Dead the third Imaskarcana but then I remembered that book is sealed in a vault in Deep Imaskar. I could find no way to explain how the book might get from Deep Imaskar to Mulhorand. So I've decided that perhaps the Third Imaskarcana was damaged during the siege of Inupras, what if it was split in two. The first half detailed insights into the magic of life and the second half gave insights into the magic of death (necromancy). Its not an equal split mind you.

I didn't want to create another Imaskarcana because I figure the Imaskarcana were designed to be carried by one person to provide true enlightenment. If there is a scepter and a book then you cannot carry another book because both your hands are used. The crown goes on your head, the key at your belt (I created a mask for the face), I figure there is probably a cloak and then maybe some sandals.

So during the siege, the artificer carrying the book was slain and the book split in two (ripped apart by a spell or a dragon gone made perhaps, the nether scrolls can be pounded into nuggets and melted into coin but will always repair itself). Ilphemon finds the half that deals with death and unlife, while Thoth finds the half dealing with life and prolonging it and healing.

Thoth rather erroneously calls his tome the Book of the Dead because it holds secrets about how to restore life to the recently deceased (a secret only discovered after Ra's death - it takes Thoth a millennia to study the book until he is satisfied he has learned all its secrets).

I've also had a thought that the Imaskarcana are able to be replicated, creating lesser and more specialized copies (that's how the false imaskarcana came to exist). Thoth used this power to create the Tomes of Thoth, and from these tomes were created the holy texts of Thoth given to all priests to learn the rites and rituals of the church.

Just a thought for today. I'll probably change my mind later.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
7593 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2018 :  19:14:34  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sticking on my 3.5 spectacles for a second, that description of the book of the dead from old empires just screams incarnum magic to me. Incarnum being "spirit/soul" magics wherein you bind the power of certain spirits to chakras of your body.

words of great divine power, words that represent the eight parts of the human soul.

Granted, there's more than 8 chakras in incarnum (looks like 10), but the old book may not have known how to open the last two. Throw in that the Sapphire Hierarchs (a divine / incarnate theurging prestige class) are near to mulhorand (i.e. just to the east of the council hills and Lake Azulduth) . Also Sapphire Hierarchs who were to say put 4 levels in incarnate and 10 in sapphire hierarch would have only 4 chakras to use, so the 8 would have to be a very dedicated incarnate.

From magic of incarnum
In the FORGOTTEN REALMS campaign setting, the Temple of the Sapphire Eidolon lies in the remote Uthangol Mountains, overlooking the dusty plains of the Shaar.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4207 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2018 :  19:20:45  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Never heard of these sapphire hierarchy before but then again I have never read magic of incarnum before. I will have to give it a quick glance and try and figure out what exactly they are.

I'm of the opinion that magic is just magic, there are many different ways to do the same thing and this incarnum stuff may be just one other way. If the nether scrolls provide insights into magic then there is no reason why it couldn't include this weird kind.

I need to look into the sapphire hierarchy immediately, have you got any other mulhorand and unther tidbits hidden in core books that I haven't read yet.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4207 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2018 :  20:50:25  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I stumbled across the Bladeless Sword. A sword created by master smith Holin (Scott Bennie added it was made hundreds of years ago in his enhancement) that had no blade and could only attack ethereal creatures.

Seems like quite a specific use, I'm not aware of any ethereal creatures in Mulhorand other than the Hakeashar, so why would anyone make a sword like that. Making magic items is prohibitively expensive (especially in my alternate version) so one has to be commissioned or crafted with a specific purpose in mind.

Then I found the Fools Sword in Scott Bennie's enhancement and I decided to merge the two. Imagine a master smith working on a sword for years, only to unveil it and it has no blade and can inflict no wounds, people would think he had lost his mind.

So I'm adding Master Smith Holin into the timeframe of Thay's invasion of Mulhorand in 1098 DR. What if Thay tried to infiltrate Sultim with ethereal spies that could map out the place and open the gates for the invading army. What if Holin could see them and made this blade to kill them. When people see what he has made they mock him and he loses his position and becomes a mad pauper. But when the army of Thay attacks, it stands outside the gatehouse waiting for the gates to open. Holin is found dead in the gatehouse with the Bladeless Sword in his hand surrounded by dead Thayan infiltrators.

The Thayan army can't get in, they weren't prepared for a siege (expecting the gates to be opened for them). Then the Legion of Dawn returns to Sultim and attacks the Thayans in the rear while the defenders of Sultim sally forth.

The Bladeless Sword, otherwise known as Holin's Folly, Janifar inscribed onto the hilt (meaning Ghost Silver).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4207 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2018 :  21:09:54  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The khopesh of truth from Scott Bennie's enhancement has undergone a slight change. A sword that burns the wielder if they lie seems rather useless as a magic item concept, why would anyone make something like that.

It said it was made 500 years ago which roughly lines up with the rebellion of Thay. So I figure a blade that burns when people lie is much better suited as an executioner's blade used as part of an interrogation. It also makes sense to me that the Church of Thoth would seek to assure the Pharaoh that all the magic users within it's ranks were loyal (after a huge number of wizards rebelled).

So what if the swords (now called Heramekal - Traitor's Bane) were made as part of an inquisition of the Church of Thoth's members. The blade placed upon the neck, questions were asked relating to one's loyalty to Mulhorand and Pharaoh, if the blade burned them their head was severed.
First the inquisition went through the ranks of acolytes (that includes all wizard members of the church), then it moved onto regular members of the church and even non clergy associates. Finally the priests of Osiris called an inquiry into the inquisition and ordered a halt to it, but not before 30% of the membership of the Church of Thoth had been executed.

Basically a magic item created to test loyalty, which was misused by the highly factional and political members of Mulhorand's churches. ooh and I can put it during the reign of Thoth's incarnations as Pharaoh (maybe 927 DR) so the Church of Osiris gets to stop a Pharaoh but it is not a Horus-Re Pharaoh.

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - dazzlerdal on 30 Nov 2018 21:14:57
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4207 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2018 :  08:10:48  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sooo, randomly reading about the fangs of set.

Looks like Seti has been masquerading as a travelling merchant and has spent some time in sampranasz.

So I was wondering why sampranasz is the big centre of set's cult, at first I tried to come up with a historic link but in light of the information above I'm wondering if seti hasn't established the cult power in sampranasz only recently.

I figure seti owns a caravan company. The major trade commodity in sampranasz is read parchment. Seti has a major power base in raurin and allies in that, so I'm thinking he has become one of the few traders to move goods from mulhorand through raurin to Durpar (A problem route but a profitable one - at the moment Durpar traders have to go round veldorn). I'm betting he also sells stuff in thay through his cultist contacts there.

This makes him massively rich and allows him to buy up large portions of sampranasz and get cultist infiltrators into surrounding organisations and lands.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4207 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2018 :  21:05:00  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So Hamsetis, former gladiator slave acquired by the Cult of Set, suddenly becomes trusted by the Vizier and other high level bureaucrats.
How does such a turn of events happen?

It seems fairly implausible, how can a slave or former slave suddenly become so valued by the government of Mulhorand just by being helpful.

I'm thinking that the Vizier is trying to replace the duties of the Church of Anhur, one of those duties is to guard the Pharaoh and the City of the Gods (I figure the Guardians of Skuld are actually the personal guards of the City of the Gods in Skuld).

Perhaps Hamsetis was first rescued by the Cult of Set and then he fought his way onto a Chessentan mercenary company (shouldn't be too hard for a highly skilled warrior). From there the mercenary company could be hired to guard the walls of the City of the Gods, and perhaps his impressive physique and skill gets him the attention of the Vizier (his preference for men or women was never mentioned that I'm aware of) who then makes Hamsetis one of his personal bodyguards in a direct snub to the Church of Anhur.

I'm trying to think how the Cult of Set killed Akonhorus. A charm spell is far too obvious and liable to be caught, so how about slaves dropping jewellery that make the wearer open to suggestion, and then a simple whispered instruction from Hamsetis and bam, one dead Pharaoh. It would be difficult to connect the jewellery to the slaves and the instruction to Hamsetis because it involves separate people with no connection to each other. Thus the priests of Osiris can only determine the jewellery had an enchantment charm spell cast upon them and so the Anhurite guards were not in control of their actions when they slew the Pharaoh.

Of course in my version the Pharaoh actually knows about Hamsetis affiliation with the Cult of Set and is allowing their plan to proceed because he wants the current Pharaoh to be removed in favour of a younger and hopefully more pliable Pharaoh.

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - dazzlerdal on 03 Dec 2018 21:21:37
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
7593 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2018 :  13:42:57  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Never heard of these sapphire hierarchy before but then again I have never read magic of incarnum before. I will have to give it a quick glance and try and figure out what exactly they are.

I'm of the opinion that magic is just magic, there are many different ways to do the same thing and this incarnum stuff may be just one other way. If the nether scrolls provide insights into magic then there is no reason why it couldn't include this weird kind.

I need to look into the sapphire hierarchy immediately, have you got any other mulhorand and unther tidbits hidden in core books that I haven't read yet.

The gist behind incarnum theory is that you bind spirits to you and those spirits give you certain abilities. Its somewhat similar to the idea behind binders in 3.5, but the playstyle is a little different. When you bind a spirit to a "chakra" of your body, you cannot use a magic item that would take the place of that spot (so for instance, you bind a "crown" chakra and you can't get the benefits of a magic helmet or circlet). You can also have some spirits that you get weaker abilities from, but that maybe you don't bind to a specific chakra. There were three different types, and actually of the three, I thought the totemist made the most sense. These three types were

Incarnate: you clung to a single specific alignment ideal (i.e. law/chaos/good/evil) and draw on spirit powers aligned to this ideal. You can wear medium armor, shields, and simple weapons. In essence, this becomes kind of like a priest who "wards" themselves for battle.

Soulborn: basically the militant version of the incarnate (i.e. compare paladin to cleric). Also, instead of being tied to a single alignment, they always cling to two components (i.e. LG, CG, LE, CE). Heavier armor and better weapons than the incarnate, but slower incarnum power gain.

Totemist: This one makes the most sense to me. Basically, the totemist can call upon the mystical powers of the spirits of the magical creatures of the world. He might bind the spirit of a displacer beast, a unicorn, and a basilisk into his chakras and gain abilities that are similar to what those creatures have. If I ever introduced this class (and I for one think this would be a great class for Abeir), I would have to sit down and look through a bunch of moster manuals. It might be interesting to have totemists from different cultures who have the same basic powers, but calling upon spirits that are native to their regions. For instance, one might call upon a basilisk spirit, another a cockatrice, and another a medusa all to get powers that might temporarily petrify.

NOTE: the binding of the spirits isn't like spellcasting if I recall correctly. For instance, you aren't whipping up a basilisk spirit in the middle of combat. You are planning which spirits you bind to in the morning while meditating, and you gain the benefits of the creature throughout the day. However, there were some mechanics where you could in the middle of things "draw on" a single spirit more, etc... i.e. maybe you suddenly feel you need the claws of X creature to be particularly effective, you can shift focus/points to it.

I should also note... I READ these rules, I've never played them. Conceptually though, for the totemist they were interesting to me. I actually pictured the totemists working very well as a sect amongst the Witches of Rashemen.

On the Sapphire Hierarchs prestige class in the Unthangol Mountains, the description says:

In the monster-haunted wasteland of the Sulhaut Mountains replace for realms Unthangol Mountains, an ancient temple of weathered gray stone crowns the barren, black rock of an icy mountaintop. Within this structure stands an incredible sphere of blue, crystallized incarnum that measures a full 30 feet in diameter. Illumined from depths that no being has ever plumbed, it has a life of its own and an intelligence almost alien in its purity. This sphere is the Sapphire Eidolon, an emblem of perfect universal law
that is said to be older than the cosmos. No being manifested this sphere—in fact, no being could manifest it—and yet it exists. According to legend, it fell to the ground from the stars and took up its position on the mountaintop under its own power.

The ancient temple that houses the Sapphire Eidolon is also home to an order of fervent priests of law whose ranks include clerics, incarnates, monks, and fighters. Known as sapphire hierarchs, the elite members of this order defend the temple, contemplate the mysteries of the Sapphire Eidolon, and seek to fulfill its single command by perfecting themselves and bringing order out of chaos wherever they find it. They are zealous crusaders against supernatural
chaos who battle with single-minded determination against such creatures as demons, slaadi, and the servants of chaotic deities.

PLAYING A SAPPHIRE HIERARCH
In the beginning, all was one. Sea and mountain, soul and body, deity and mortal—all these and more existed together in harmony. But in the unfolding of the universe from that one perfect moment, some of this divine unity was lost.

Because the cosmos began as one entity, natural law clearly demands a constant progression from a disordered state to a more orderly and perfect existence. Chaos, however, actively resists this great and inexorable reunification, and this interference does great harm to the universe. Your task as a sapphire hierarch, therefore, is to prevent the baleful influence of chaos from obstructing the natural progress of the universe.

So, in my viewpoint, this "Sapphire Eidolon" and the formation of the great rift make for some great interaction of "Meteors hit the Shaar... some made mountains... some collapsed the surface into caverns.... the continent cracked, and the landrise formed...." to all be related to some asteroid crashes in the shining south. I'd even include the Plangent Crystal/ Curna emeralds that you find down in Durpar which are tied to Pandorym to these same crystals. In this case, we have Pandorym being separated between "mind and body" according to Elder Evil by the Imaskari. The body is a giant sphere of annihilation (i.e. sounds like Entropy), and the mind is entrapped in these crystals. I would specify here that the Imaskari probably found these existing crystals and used the power in them to entrap the mind... thus, the crystals were probably pre-existing and not a creation OF Pandorym NOR the Imaskari. This also makes the crystals themselves not necessarily blatantly evil... they've just been tainted by the presence of Pandorym. If they could be purged of Pandorym's presence, they might be incredibly powerful sources of magic.

Also in all this, having a bunch of different powered "crystals" and or "metals" along with the recent ties of Grumbar to this region might (i.e. Grumbar is noted as restoring the Shaar), it might be that there is a "little documented fact" that Grumbar (Geb?) is strongest in faith down here in southeastern Faerun.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 04 Dec 2018 13:46:52
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4207 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2018 :  14:02:25  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's interesting, although filled with a few too many statements for my liking (pure law, cannot have been created, etc).

I will have to push it to one side for now as it seems more relevant to the shaar than unther but I will bear it in mind.

I still see no problem lumping all the incarnum stuff into normal magic. Using another being or item as a conduit for spellcasting is fairly commonplace (I reckon that's how demigods grant spells to followers). So using a spirit or a total or even a big blue blob of pure law is just a variation of the same.

I'm tempted to link it to a departed godking though. I created a number of godkings that fled Unther when Gilgeam became leader so one of them could have travelled to uthangol and tried to ascend to true godhood.

What happened in the Shaar I don't think we will ever know. But good find sleyvas, I appreciate it as I often overlook core sources.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
7593 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2018 :  14:26:13  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, actually, where I might be going with it is the old story of Asgorath/Asgoroth the world shaper primordial that destroyed a "crystal sun"/"ice moon" Zotha. This caused the TearFall. Perhaps this "entity" was cracked and portions of its remaining self became aligned (whereas its whole was an unaligned entity/primordial). Also, I wouldn't have all of these components hitting the shaar at the same time necessarily, but rather over time. Some of it may be what crashed into Halruaa. Some of it may be this Sapphire Eidolon. Some of it may be what crashed into the Priador in several spots and which we've recently been calling the Athora. Some of it may be what's down in the Curna Mountains and the Adama's Tooth in Durpar. Some of it may have crashed long ago in the Utter East and be what was related to the formation of the "Circle of Order" led by the "Lord of Lands" / "Lady of Tides" / "Lord of Flame" / and the rogue element "Tartyron" who broke from the order. Noting these various "Lords" may have been mortal beings who learned to draw on these "power sources" that fell from the sky, and eventually created the bloodforges. Also, they may have been affected by the tainting of the elements they were drawing FROM (for instance, maybe what the Imaskari did to Pandorym actually CAUSED Tartyron the mortal to turn from Order).

Where I KNOW I will be going with this concept is that in the Shaar itself, there's a primordial like "god" mentioned in the 2e Complete Barbarian's Handbook named Khass who is a rain god. I'm linking him to such a power source which cracked into the surface, created the great rift, caused the land rise and buried itself in the earth. Eventually, the underground river that comes out in Peleveran in the cliffside I'm saying travelled the path created by this object. This rain god, I'm giving him several alternate names specifically amongst the tribes of the Shaar as also known as Enku, Enkhassu, Khassu and Khanu, which I think you'll get the obvious references to gods in Unther.

Also, while thematically it would make sense to have all these things come crashing to the surface at once, from a "consistency" standpoint, it probably would make more sense if they came crashing down at different times. Thus, what crashed into Halruaa may have happened centuries or even millenia before what crashed and formed the great rift/landrise and that may have been before this Sapphire Eidolon. However, SOME of it may have been at the same time (such as if something crashed into the utter east).

In addition, I very much like the idea that while some of these have a powerful alignment factor, I think all of them should have a powerful "elemental"/"primordial" factor. For instance, the Athora of Thay has ties to fire and possibly earth in the form of magma. The one I was talking about with Khass might have strong ties to wind and water, but also possibly plants as well (as the easterners have a different view on elements and they may be correct). If this is the case, possibly beings such as Ramman.. Ishtar... etc... came from the Shaar into Unther.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 04 Dec 2018 14:39:13
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4207 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2018 :  20:50:37  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Box of Death from Scott Bennie's enhancement.

A jewel laden box bearing the horned lady symbol of Isis. If opened and the true name of a target is spoken then the target is slowed, unable to use magic, and has a horde of scarabs come to kill them.

Why on earth would the goddess Isis have such a magic item crafted in her name, or alternatively why would she claim such a magic item for her own.

I'm wondering if this horned lady symbol is not the symbol of another deity, perhaps one worshipped by the Turami (they seem a bit darker in outlook than the Mulan).

Alteratively it could be Imaskari. I had linked the scarabs to a mistake in the lifecycle of the spellweavers, it could be a spellweaver item (although it would have to be a rogue outcast spellweaver as I don't believe a normal spellweaver would take advantage of another's misfortune in such a way).
Perhaps the horned lady could be a corruption of a symbol Jergal used when he was walking amongst the Imaskari trying to teach them of magic and destroy them at the same time.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4207 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2018 :  18:54:54  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Onto what appears to be the royal regalia of Mulhorand. Scott Bennie has the crown, a sword, and a bunch of other items that I will probably link to powerful magic found in imaskari. I will also add in the Sun Throne and the chariot of Horus.

The question is should there be any lost regalia. As well as being an excellent plot hook it seems quite normal for nations to have many sets of regalia over a long period (I think England has 3 or for crowns and look what happened with the Scottish regalia when it was conquered by england).

I imagine there is potential for Ras regalia to become lost with his death and the chaos of civil war (that I added). Perhaps the rebellion of Thay is also another opportunity. Otherwise the walls of Skuld have never been breached so foreign army looting isn't an option, but theft is, huriot is the greatest thief and perhaps he is known as such for stealing one of the crown jewels.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
5339 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2018 :  22:52:43  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a massive fan of stolen regalia. And who says the walls of Skuld have never been breached? Lots of opportunities for a sahuagin attack or dragon assault in the patchy Mulhorandi historical narrative.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4207 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2018 :  05:56:44  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately canon says the walls have never been breached. Of course then we find out the beacon of ptah was stolen but I put that on a lighthouse in the docks so technically it was outside the city walls. However if you are happy for that
At to be an incorrect colloquial saying then so am i

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
5339 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2018 :  08:40:40  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Unfortunately canon says the walls have never been breached. Of course then we find out the beacon of ptah was stolen but I put that on a lighthouse in the docks so technically it was outside the city walls. However if you are happy for that
At to be an incorrect colloquial saying then so am i

Hehe, that's why I used the examples I did. The sahuagin came up from the harbor and the dragons flew over the walls. No wall breaching required.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4207 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2018 :  10:14:00  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's perfect, it makes the conceit of the mulhorandi even worse that they would use linguistic semantics to prove their superiority to others.

So sahuagin invaders will have to be from -800 Dr to today, with an increase in activity several centuries ago (I will check my unther noted for when that rise in activity is). I'm having a hard time picturing sahuagin making it from the docks to the city of the gods and over the internal walls in the heat but then maybe they exploited aqueducts (If mulhorand has them). I've got malenti operating in Unther and I figure that malenti can look like whatever races are nearby (so humans as well as sea elves), so an infiltration of sahuagin is easily doable. They question is why go for the crown jewels, it is the most heavily defended part of the city so there must be something specific they want, perhaps it was part of Thays alliance with them "get me this item and we will give you xxx, then we agree not to attack each other).

Dragons is easy, mulhorand has tons of them nearby and there were lots more long ago. I figure gestaniius is most underused in Mulhorands history so to have her rip open the solarium and steal Ras royal regalia right in front of the entire royal court. Why would a Dragon do it, because she can, and most of those items are repurposed imaskari items and most of the dragons in mulhorand are descended from dragons enslaved by the imaskari.

I'm toying with making the word suzerain being an imaskari derived word that meansdragon collar (suzaar - Dragon, red in - collar). There's no reason why the word cannot spread around faerun in 3000 years.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
7593 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2018 :  14:55:16  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Regarding regalia of Mulhorand, it could be fun to just throw out "types" of regalia, even if its just names. To that end, why don't we throw some stuff around for a post or two. I'd even go so far as to include some things that DON'T feel Egyptian just to make this culture a bit more realmsian. After all, in theory, they did have contact with cultures in the hordelands that may have done things in an unusual way.

The Snake Staff of Set
The Jeweled Scarab Brooch of Nephthys
The Ornamented Drinking Horns of Hathor
The Cornucopia of Hathor
The Forceps of Hathor
The Sarcophagus of Osiris
The Crocodile Tooth Necklace of Sebekar
The Scepter of Isis
The Plough of Geb
The Mattock of Geb
The Reed Wand of Thoth
The Amber Hawk of Horus
The Marble Lions of Bast
The Spear of Anhur
The Shield of Anhur
The Dice of Bes

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4207 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2018 :  15:28:12  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I took the shield of heru from Scott Bennie enhancement, I made it the former capstone of the dome of inupras.

Khopesh of Anhur-Re, that's pretty much as is, not sure if it should be included in the royal regalia except that it has become a close advisor of the pharaoh (It's sentient) and so spends all it's time in the solarium.

I've got the jeweller scarab which was an encysted scarabs that crystallized inside Ras body (I'm not saying how it was removed). It bestows healing properties upon those who touch it, rumours are it can cure death.

The scales of Horus are his old suit of bronze scale that he wore during the siege of imaskari, later enchanted to its current status.

The ankh of life is a must have, Ras former staff that was buried in the thazalhar.

Whatever these items are they have to be connected to Ra or Horus or the undying kings.
I think all of Ras regalia are lost, some of Horus-Re are gone.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page