Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Reimagining Old Empires
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3979 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2018 :  21:07:32  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Found more lore on Hazlan in the ravenloft gazetteer I. Turns out the Nameless King brought the Mulan and Rashemmi people to Hazlan 1100 years ago.

Back to trying to figure out what event could have brought a group of people to Ravenloft. Who would the Nameless King be, what is the twist (there is always a twist in Ravenloft)

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3979 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2018 :  10:35:31  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gradually building up Mulhorand.

So I have tried to come up with a government that allows for politics while being real enough to actually work.

I've divided the government into sections roughly analogous to what exists in the Old Empires sourcebook.

The Pharaoh is the head of state and has the power of policy and veto for all areas of the government, whether central or regional.

The Pharaoh largely devolves power to the Vizier who rules in his stead and administers to all the daily tasks required of the Pharaoh.

Below the Pharoah/Vizier are the Ministries. These offices are held by the most senior priests of each church, with one church being granted total control of a single ministry. There are ministries of Law (Osiris), Trade (Nephthys), the Realm (Horus-Re), Wisdom (Thoth), Mountain (Geb), etc. These ministries are responsible for implementing the central government policies decided by the Pharaoh/Vizier and the Minister of an Office is immediately a member of the council that advises the Pharaoh/Vizier. They are also responsible for assisting local government in assisting the regional policies. The Ministries are permanently held by the same church and cannot be removed unless by order of the Pharaoh himself with a majority vote from the council.

Below the Ministry are the Precepts. The holders of these offices are decided by the Pharaoh (Vizier in practice) and are usually given as a reward to senior priests from the churches. They rule regions of Mulhorand and have the power/responsibility to implement regional policies with the assistance of the local temples.

Outside of this hierarchy are the Divine Precepts. These are the Incarnations (Oblaran) of the gods, and hold no direct power in government unless given an honorary title and responsibility (to not hold an honorary title is a great dishonor), however the Divine Precepts are the titular heads of church and so wield great power within and without regional/local government (albeit indirectly). The Divine Precepts can overrule any orders given by the ministry which his church commands. Divine Precepts are usually not the holders of Ministry titles or Precept titles (with the exception of Horus-Re).

I've also been working on some more of the history. I don't like the real world approximation of Set killing Osiris by making him sit in a chair and then Nephthys raising him from the dead. I'm thinking that when Re died, the empire of Mulhorand collapsed. Each Divine Precept (back then the rulers of a region) consolidated their power in their region and after several years a few began to exert their power and attempt to conquer the regions of others.
Set (Divine Precept of Priador) and Osiris (Divine Precept of Mishtan) allied together and managed to subdue opposition with Osiris claiming the title of Pharaoh for himself (and Set his Vizier). But during the coronation Osiris was poisoned. A second and much bloodier civil war erupted with Set and Sebek (and perhaps Bast - a possible reason for her leaving that doesn't include anything divine/pantheon related, Set just convinced her that he was innocent and Horus was lying) on one side against Horus and his allies. Horus and his allies claimed that Set poisoned Osiris although there is no proof.
Ultimately Horus prevails and claims the power of Re for himself although Nephthys siphons some away during the ritual of investiture into Osiris (raising him from the dead). Set flees into exile and Sekras is later destroyed once Mulhorand rebuilds itself.

So during this period of civil war and rebuilding Mulhorand contracts back to ruling only the nation of Mulhorand and it takes a long time for them to retake Priador from Narfell/Raumathar

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3979 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2018 :  10:16:45  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm away from my notes write now but does mulhorand have a currency that we know about.

If not what would people expect as a currency for the oldest surviving nation in faerun.

Given it's centralised control of everything through the churches would imprinted papyrus notes issued at a bank be acceptable (mulhorandi only).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
7148 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2018 :  13:20:11  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Found more lore on Hazlan in the ravenloft gazetteer I. Turns out the Nameless King brought the Mulan and Rashemmi people to Hazlan 1100 years ago.

Back to trying to figure out what event could have brought a group of people to Ravenloft. Who would the Nameless King be, what is the twist (there is always a twist in Ravenloft)

Technically the Arkaiun barbarians are kind of like "Rashemmi" as they're people from Shandaular who bred with Illuskans from Ruathym.... and 1100 years prior to 1357 there were some Mulans chasing Arkaiuns down in the Shaar following the fall of Eltabranar. Also, Eltab was imprisoned beneath Thaymount, so in theory his armies may have been in the Priador and may have included Rashemmi (he did rule them 3 centuries prior, so there may have been some who conspired with him still). Would be possibly interesting if some Myrkul followers "escaped" by travelling to Ravenloft, or perhaps some warlocks/cultists of Eltab. However, another factor to consider is that people's actual recollections in Ravenloft are often fake memories.... so take that whole story with a hefty grain of salt. You can have whole kingdoms that have only existed for weeks that "remember" what happened two centuries back.

204 DR Year of the Avarice
End of the War of Claws as Eltabranar is defeated by the forces of Mulhorand led by an incarnation of Anhur wielding the legendary blade Hadryllis. The demon lord Eltab is defeated and imprisoned in a demoncyst beneath what is now Thaymount in present-day Thay.

211 DR Year of Spoiled Splendors
The four tribes of Arkaiun barbarians flee the Council Hills region ahead of invading Untheric and Mulhorandi armies and migrate southwest. They roam the grasslands along the southern coast of Faerūn, eventually settling along the coast of the Bay of Dancing Dolphins.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 03 May 2018 13:28:09
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3979 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2018 :  14:36:02  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to admit the lore on eltab is a bit confusing at times.

Eltab rules rashemmi but is booted out by the witches and flees to the shaar. Why there. What was he looking for or did he intend to go further south but the witches tracked him down and imprisoned him.

Eltab then gets bound into service for the arkauins. He obviously manipulates them on into attacking the Mulan, but why, did he want eltabranar to lose so he could be captured and thus released from his now of servitude.

The Mulan destroy the armies of eltabranar (but the nation doesn't fall until some years later). Eltab is captures and led all the way north to the thaymount. How on earth do the Mulan manage to March a demon Lord for that far without getting murdered, I don't care how magic hadryllis is, eltab is a supra genius.

So I have to assume that eltab being captured so early on in the mulan campaign against eltabranar was a deliberate act on his part. I must then assume that eltab wanted to go to the thaymount.

Now it says he is imprisoned in a demoncyst but how can a demoncyst be located beneath the thaymount if he hasn't been bound there yet. The thaymount is a long way from dun orthass and it seems coincidence that a demoncyst just happened to appear in the depths of a former fortress of the sarrukh and narfell and raumathar. I'm wondering if he was bound and that created the demoncyst.

What if however the intention was not to bind him. The mulhorandi banished wendonai, if imagine they would want to banish any fiend to prevent them from returning for many centuries. Unfortunately it doesn't work on eltab, he cannot be dismissed.
So eltab lays the foundation of a huge portal beneath the thaymount that they could force him through and block it up to prevent his return.

The Mulan March eltab across mulhorandi territory, up the escarpment to the ancient fortress and into the depths of its dungeons where they find the great gate not unlike the ones used by imaskari.

They push eltab through (eltab is hoping he will be allowed to physically leave toril) and it all goes really wrong. Eltab and all the Mulan and their rashemmi slaves are pulled into Ravenloft. All their personal memories are wiped clean and they are stuck in the domain of dread.

So they know they are Mulan and what Mulan are (or rashemmi), they know how to do certain things, but they don't know who they are.

Eltab is the nameless king. He eventually regains his memories (through some gruesome means) and departs Ravenloft in a great catastrophe several centuries later.

I just need to double check my Ravenloft facts and make sure eltab didn't do anything in the time he was bound beneath the thaymount and then I can try and use that to explain what the hell was going on and more importantly why, I always need the why to make sense from a person point of view.

George if you are reading your input would be most appreciated as you've dealt with eltab a lot in your sandbox.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
7148 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2018 :  14:39:46  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No offense, but some of those ministries sound kind of silly. Ministry of Wisdom (because priests of other religions aren't wise?)? Ministry of Mountain?

What about the Ministry of Magic and Technology, Ministry of Mining and Earthen Concerns, Ministry of Trade and Treasury, etc...

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3979 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2018 :  14:51:37  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I picked single words so I could translate them with a lexicon I kindly received, it's not complete enough to allow for longer titles, plus ministry of magic is Harry potter and thoth is about more than just magic. The translations are meant to be approximate so in Mulan it has more meaning

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3979 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2018 :  20:43:26  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well the currency of Mulhorand is the Precept and the Pharaoh, slightly uninspiring.

Looking at Eltab I can see nothing happening involving Eltab until 684 DR when Errendil Tarrik travels to the Thaymount and uses the Shiftglass of Orthass on the Demoncyst and becomes possessed by Eltab.

What is a shiftglass and what does it do. Eltab's next mention in 684 DR is a little over 3 centuries after his arrival in Hazlan which roughly coincides with the death of the Nameless King. Perhaps the Shiftglass allows the user to view/contact anyone no matter their location. Perhaps it pierced the mists of Ravenloft and allowed the Nameless King to escape by possessing Errendil (his memories suddenly returning when the mists were pierced). He faded from Ravenloft (died peacefully) and things carry one as canon without anyone knowing any different, after all he's trapped inside a giant demoncyst which I'm guessing doesn't have a viewing window so nobody could look inside to see if he was actually there.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
5147 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2018 :  03:21:47  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The demoncysts are explained in the write-up of Eltab in "Champions of Ruin".

The Shiftglass of Orthass can be anything you want it to be ...

As for how Eltab got to the Eastern Shaar, I'm guessing he used the portal at Shandaular (somehow getting it to work for him).

Keep going, I'm enjoying this.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3979 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2018 :  07:58:03  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I think I'm done with eltab for now (until I get to thay). I'm satisfied he was not involved in anything on toril for at least 4 centuries, during that time he was isolated inside a vast festering pustule (or so people thought) and so no one could be sure if he was there or not. Which gives me free reign to do as I want. All I need is a legend about the vanishing army atop thaymount and I can allude to mists shrouding the fortress during that fateful day and that's it done. It also explains why eltabranar was beaten but shaundaular didn't fall until later and the council hills massacre didn't happen until even later and why unther occupied the shaar and not mulhorand.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
7148 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2018 :  13:26:52  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The demoncysts were all over from The Priador to Vaasa and future Impiltur. I'd imagine the demoncyst beneath the Thaymount is because one of the first things the Nentyarch commanded was for Eltab to assault Rashemen. It may have acted as a beachhead for him. In fact, afterward, he may have ruled FROM this demoncyst acting as his throne on high (literally on high). Remember that at those times, the country boundaries may have been different. For all we know, he led his army north to Rashemen to get to this demoncyst because it had something he needed, and then he got sealed in using Hadryllis.

As George indicated, I wouldn't be surprised if the invasion didn't also involve the use of the gate to Shandaular. Eltab and the Myrkulites had in fact occupied said city for 96 years. The invasion into southern Unther and Mulhorand could have been something of a ruse to pull away forces in the northlands while he and a smaller group went north to this demoncyst. Perhaps he intended some deadly ritual to harvest the spirit energy/telthors of Rashemen in revenge for their ousting him three centuries prior. Maybe it was for some other reason.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3979 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2018 :  13:45:11  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well having read the demoncyst sources the implication is that they are static which means of all the places one could appear it did so right beneath the most magically mighty ruin in the region. Sounds like a bit much of a coincidence to me.

Then the mulhorand need to bind eltab and decide to bind him inside a manifestation of his own corrupting nature on the planet toril. If I was going to bind a demon Lord it would be beneath some of the most holy of runes, relics, and servants I could find in the hope they keep him locked away. It certainly wouldn't be inside an abyssal pus filled buboe infecting the land.

So either the cyst was already there and coincidence be damned and the mulhorandi are unspeakably dumb, or by binding him it created the demoncyst (which is how they appeared on toril in the first place)

My own preference is that the cysts grow and are spreading outward from dun orthass and the thaymount like a cancer but that's because I see the abyssal taint as a cancer that corrupts and destroys.

It may be that they chose to ignore the portals beneath the thaymount and just bound him into the ruin for kicks (It's far enough away from their major population centres while being close enough to keep guard over) but it doesn't matter what they were doing. As soon as they did it the demoncyst was formed and eltab was lost from the realms until 684 DR because as I said I doubt demoncyst come with Windows so you can see who is inside.

That means I'm free to spin it however and I get to add in a cool legend about the lost legion of the sun (and a reason why there are no more legions of the sun only legions of the dawn)

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - dazzlerdal on 04 May 2018 13:47:03
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
7148 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2018 :  23:30:02  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree, it does seem odd that they bound him in an area of Abyssal energy. That being said, his layer basically was kind of extended and portions shattered/destroyed by making it coterminous with Toril. However, we also don't know how MUCH of his layer was destroyed. These demoncysts may only comprise 1% or 2% of his abyssal domain (or they might comprise a helluva lot more). We also know that the Balor named Ndulu is in the abyss IN the hidden layer, and warring with other demons to control the Hidden Layer. Meanwhile Eltab is bound to Toril. So, given what we know.. we know that Eltab is still LORD of his layer, but he also can't leave Toril. So, unlike Ndulu, he can't be banished back to the Abyss because of the Adamantine Binding. So, the only thing they can do is put him away into a demoncyst and then "shut the door" so that he can't interact with the world. At least that's my take.

Now, Eltab MAY be able to summon MORE of his layer to Toril (since he is its LORD), and that opens up some other possibilities as well. In fact, his layer may have been infecting Toril prior to his summoning and these demoncysts have existed. That may be WHY his layer is called the "Hidden Layer"... he secretly extends it to worlds to use it to invade them.... "kind of" similar to the orcs of Azeroth a little when they worked with demons. What Orcus showed the Narfelli was how to create the Adamantine Binding, not necessarily how to create the demoncysts, and thus, while Eltab may have been subtly invading countless worlds, the Adamantine Binding has entrapped him to this one world.

IF this is true, destroying the Adamantine Binding would allow Eltab to go home, but it wouldn't necessarily mean that Toril is free of his influence.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 04 May 2018 23:38:15
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3979 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2018 :  10:32:28  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A further thought is that the mulhorandi are not experts at binding outsiders like the Nar, and so would not stand a chance of binding eltab. They are however known for banishing powerful outsiders.

I'm picturing him being forced through the permanent gate (like a star gate) in the bowels of the citadel. At the moment he enters the gate a thick mist covers the entire thaymount.

Eltab is not allowed to leave faerun but his body has physically passed through a gateway. His empty husk exits the gateway wherever it is pointing to. His mind is thrust into the nearest most suitable vessel (The incarnation of anhur and general of the legion of the sun). A stage 10 demoncyst swells to cover most of the gateway chamber (where it maybe starts growing him a new body), and the mists of Ravenloft claim the entire legion of the sun and all their rashemmi slave attendants and dump them all in Hazlan with no personal memories (They can still read and write and perform learned tasks but they don't know who they are).

In Hazlan the army quickly decide that eltab is their leader and his medals and appellation denoting him as an incarnation must make him their king. He becomes the nameless king and the army quickly conquers all of Hazlan.

The Nameless King is gradually but increasingly plagued by horrifying dreams of a great horned monster and the grizzly murders of everyone in Hazlan. He becomes paranoid and slightly unhinged as the centuries go by, convinced that something terrible will happen and that he will be the cause. By the third century his body is afflicted by a strange pox that turns his skin scaly and mottled and horrified lumps growing from odd places like his head and knees.
Eventually the Nameless King resolves to fake his own death and flee Hazlan. He becomes a terrifying beast that stalks thr wilds of Hazlan.

Then Errendil Tarrik uses the shiftglass of orthass to pierce all barriers and open a direct connection to eltab. Eltab memories come flooding back and he possesses Errendil to escape Ravenloft (Not realising this takes him back to Toril).

Now we have Eltabs newly grown body beneath thaymount trapped in a demoncyst but without a consciousness. Eltab mind is possessing Errendil Tarrik (but will soon burn that body out), and the twisted and demonic body of the incarnation of Angus is roaming the countryside of Hazlan with his original mind restored but his sanity shattered over what he has done and what he has become.

I don't think anyone that contradicts the canon.

I did note in the gazetteer of Ravenloft that there were insectoid creatures being the first occupants of Hazlan. I Don't recall their name right now but I'm wondering if I could tie it to spellweavers right now.

Lastly this spellglass of orthass seems to have been named after dun orthass. Did the same guy that designed dun orthass also make the spellglass. Could the spellglass have been used in the binding of eltab originally (I'm guessing you have to lure the demon to your binding first in order to bind them and what better way to get his attention than make a magic telephone that rings whoever you name no matter where they are and even if they haven't got a phone.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3979 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2018 :  21:46:40  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been trying to think of an alternate reason why Bast left Mulhorand. I don't do Ao and I don't do pantheon/god nonsense so I've had to rationalize why a semi divine being would leave her place of power (from the point of view of security and established assets), to wander the Inner Sea lands.

My first thought was that she could have been exiled during the mulhorandi civil war (having chosen the wrong side to support - easy mistake because Set does not walk around with a big sign above his said saying "I am ebil"), but that was too early for the Mulhorandi association with animals.

So I'm wondering if the previously warlike Bast (lieutenant of Anhur) was blamed for causing unrest of some sort and it was the last straw (after her siding with Set she was likely suspected of being a baddie).
The beast cults arrive in Mulhorand at the height of the Mulhorandi and Unther second empires. I previously dated this to -240 DR but this is not at the height of the second empire of Mulhorand which was re-established really when Narfell and Raumathar collapsed and the Priador repopulated. So I'm thinking that the Suren migrated west to Narfell and south into Murghom/Mulhorand to escape the copper demon of tros and his evil.

So -200 to -130 DR the suren migrate into Mulhorand and bring with them the worship of beast cults. Sometime around -50 DR a great number of suren refugees are slaughtered and this causing an uprising which the mulhorandi are forced to put down (ruthlessly of course). This eradicates the suren from Mulhorand (because there are no suren there today in any significant number), allows time for the beast cults to become popular.

Bast and her clergy get implicated for the initial slaughter and she is exiled from Mulhorand along with the bulk of her clergy, based on this crime, her lack of acceptance of Horus-Re, and the crime of siding with Set during the civil war (the slaughter taking place near her Divine Precept). Of course the evidence was planted to implicate her clergy, I'm thinking the Suren discovered drow infiltrators (possibly from Undrek'Thoz as they have been infiltrating drow cities for some time I believe) or alternatively Set and his servants planted the evidence.

That way Bast has to leave Mulhorand and I don't need any arranged swaps between pantheons because I think the pantheon model is a human construct and worship can go wherever it wants (unfortunately established churches in the new regions quickly destroy emerging rivals).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

593 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2018 :  07:26:19  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Uhm, well, aside from the facts that Bast siding with Set is not something you can handwaive like that or that making up big migrations and slaughters should require a little more supporting evidence you seem to be confused about one fundamental fact: Bast didn't leave Mulhorand, she expanded out of Mulhorand while retaining her status, flock, temples and whatever there.
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3979 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2018 :  08:57:16  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well powers and pantheon mentions the beast cults becoming popular during the second empire and the hordelands box notes the migration of the suren at around the same time so I linked the two and the suren or a group driven before the suren and bring with them animal worship.

The civil war is more about dynastic change. I don't recall many dynastic changes happening peacefully. Re died so everyone is going to want to be the new king. Ergo horus would have to fight for it. There would be alliances and pacts and fighting and ultimately a civil war between the most powerful faction. As I said before Set doesn't walk round advertising he is evil. Yes he is known for it now but back then he ruled a precept (probably the priador) so he was considered one of the gang back then and his actions during the civil war must have led to his exile. Bast was anhurs lieutenant against set so I imagine she became really anti set after the civil war possibly because set tricked her.

Powers and pantheon clearly states bast wandered faerun. Easy to do as a semi divine being. Her leaving mulhorand is justification for bane and mask being allowed into the old empires. I don't do the pantheon nonsense so if she left I need a reason for her to leave. I'm not exiting her flock or all her clergy, just bast herself and her senior clergy at the high temple. The junior clergy then rebuild her church but bast is gone nd becomes shares over time.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
7148 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2018 :  16:29:22  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not big on the idea of Eltab jumping bodies into an incarnation of Anhur, and I could see him being able to travel to his portions of the demoncysts that are Toril bound (he does that currently). I'd see it more as there are certain "closets" (i.e. demoncysts related to his home plane) that he can still be pushed into and then the door shut. Also, since Hadryllis has some ties to the Adamantine Binding, it also has some ties to "shutting the door and locking it". Meanwhile, this shut demoncyst still leaks into Toril, because it infects the waters of the river Eltar. What becomes a good question though is why is it that the glyph made from the city of Eltabbar is an effective lock on this particular demoncyst (it would seem to have something to do with the river water), and why does destroying images of this glyph (in the form of maps) weaken the glyph.

I could see the mists of Ravenloft possibly showing up and absorbing Rashemi and Mulhorandi folk during said encounter though. In fact, it might even be interesting if its hinted that Eltab enacts something to call the mists and have them come rolling in over his enemies. Basically, maybe some demon lords have learned how to attract the attentions of the dark powers of Ravenloft, even if they don't know how to control it. Since Hadryllis didn't leave Toril, I wouldn't involve the incarnation of Anhur in that though, and I'd have him survive to return as a hero to Mulhorand. Otherwise I'd feel like it would state that he disappeared or fell in the entry.

Also, just to throw out there Dun Orthass is the Citadel of Conjurers (for those that don't recognize the name who are also reading this conversation), which is also where the Adamantine Binding is found that ties the whole Eltab/demoncysts thing together.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3979 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2018 :  20:37:37  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't really like it when baddies or goodies have everything go according to plan, I much prefer fate to throw a curve ball in there that randomizes things.

I'm not going to state Eltab went to Ravenloft, nor that Eltab possessed the incarnation of Anhur. The only nods I have to my preferred course of events is an event in the timeline that mists descend upon the Thaymount and the army vanishes. Nearby soldiers sent to investigate discover only a huge organic swelling that is impervious to harm, and the sword Hadryllis left on the floor.

I'm also intending to add a moniker or title to Eltab of the Nameless King.

Other than that what actually happens is up to the reader. However I need the army to disappear because Mulhorand takes no action to expand its borders over the next few centuries and seemingly leaves Unther to retake all of the Shaar following the defeat of Eltabranar. The loss of an army could explain this lack of follow up, and allows for myths and legends to arise out of the event. Mulhorand was saved during an invasion by Narfell by Unther. a Mulhorandi city was sacked by pirates and presumably saved by a nearby legion. All these events even though at wrong times and unrelated could be attributed to the Lost Legion by commoners and enter folklore as a good luck story and secret defender of Mulhorand.

And I need a reason why the demoncyst exists. I don't believe that such a huge cyst existed in the thaymount before this time (too much of a coincidence). I don't believe Mulhorand possessed the skill to bind Eltab in such a way (its not their style or preference for magic). So the demoncyst appeared by Eltab being here. If he could switch between Demoncysts then he would have swapped at several crucial points in the past (before Szass Tam bound him to the thakorskils seat for one) and that didn't happen so I think he is stuck and the demoncysts are more a regeneration point for him (the nearest one regrowing him because he cannot leave Toril, even in death).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3979 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2018 :  17:38:55  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've decided to mix things up a bit with Set.

He was once part of the club of mulhorandi gods and then was outcast when horus became king. So I'm having horus lay the blame of every ill that befall mulhorand at Sets feet.

Now it may be that set did kill osiris and poison ra as he lay beaten by gruumsh but it doesn't have to be so.

After millennia of persecution and exile I don't doubt that Set wants to destroy House Helcalliant or Helicaunt (depending upon the source) but that doesn't make him a bad guy necessarily.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3979 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2018 :  21:02:06  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Decided upon -147 DR, year of the candlemaker as the date of the first mortal pharaoh.

The Final Battle of the Godkings in -148 DR seems strangely named, and signifies to me the point at which they finally retreat from mortal affairs.

They must have grown tired of having to risk their lives to save Mulhorand, and had probably gotten bored of the responsibilities of rulership. So in the years following the founding of the second empire I'm picturing more and more affairs are placed in the hands of mortals.

When the horde of summoned fiends from the Great Conflagration marched on Mulhorand the Gods roused themselves to save the day once again and perhaps one or more of their number may have perished (Bes, Anubis and other minor gods of Mulhorand that are all but unknown today).

And then after that last bloody battle they handed over to their mortal kin and moved into their towers and shut the doors forever.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
7148 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2018 :  21:36:28  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, one thing that pops in mind regarding the "Nameless King".... the part about Nameless. You know, we have this whole thing going on with a lot of the death "gods" (Orcus, Kiaransalee, The Raven Queen) and other beings like the Queen of Air and Darkness wherein their names are lost. It might be worth popping in something wherein some powerful entity does a ritual which makes people forget the Nameless King's name. Picturing something interesting like Baba Yaga showing up in Ravenloft and freeing her Rashemi kin.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3979 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2018 :  10:56:22  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I've been thinking why is semphar connected to Kara the when it is soon far away.

Semphar was part of imaskari and I'm thinking it was home to true imaskari rather than a slave region.

I've added portal nexus to imaskari as a means to link together the far flung empire so I'm wondering if an extra dimensional portal nexus wasn't present in semphar.

That way the diluted imaskari that were subjugated by the mulhorandi could have hidden and lost the keys to the portal nexus but later it was rediscovered by power groups and I can make murghoms Dragon theme be a corruption of the celestial Dragon.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3979 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2018 :  11:10:46  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone consider themselves a semphar expert. If I'm reading it right I think I've counted 3 separate rebellions. Since semphar is the more southern of semphar and murghoms and semphar blocks mulhorand access to much of murghoms then surely if semphar becomes independent then murghoms does to.

Anyone considered how semphar and murghoms are governed. If semphar keeps rebelling then I'd be expecting mulhorandi occupation of the state with perhaps a puppet government to maintain the veneer of independence. If murghoms is more or less independent is it just paying tribute to it's mulhorandi masters.

I'm wondering historically 1st through 3rd empire of mulhorand as well as present day

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

593 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2018 :  15:02:58  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Anyone consider themselves a semphar expert. If I'm reading it right I think I've counted 3 separate rebellions. Since semphar is the more southern of semphar and murghoms and semphar blocks mulhorand access to much of murghoms then surely if semphar becomes independent then murghoms does to.

I'm not an expert on anything but it's actually the other way around, with Murghom in between Mulhorand and Semphar. Semphar is also the more eastern rather than the more southern, it had the strongest and most direct links to the Hordelands and Kara-Tur (the only other "door" to Faerun is way north and west at Citadel Rashemaar and with the Golden Way which in itself is much more modern than Semphar's ties to Kara-Tur).

I don't have time to check my sources but I seem to remember Semphar being the most independentist (thus the rebellions) and having been at odds with Murghom many times over the water of Gbor Nor before eventually Mulhorand settled the disputes but I may be mistaken on this one.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2018 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000