Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Reimagining Old Empires
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3889 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2018 :  16:35:10  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That helps a bit as if expect the most distant province to cause the most trouble.

Horus was entitled guardian of Semphar so I'm guessing that was his divine precept during the first empire. I'll have to try and nail down the semphar rebellions to proper dates or at least to a century.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3889 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2018 :  21:30:04  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Semphar and Murghom are problematic history wise as the Hordelands only gives a brief overview of history and no actual dates so here is what I have.

-1482 DR: Mulhorand conquers the eastern realm of Semphar.
-1048 DR: Semphar declares independence from Mulhorand
-202 DR: Year of the Purchased Princes: The Kalmyks of the Endless Wastes conquer Semphar in the name of the Kao Dynasty of the Shou Lung Empire.
-120 DR: Year of Confusion: The Suren march against the Kalmyks, conquering Khazari and Ra-Khati. Semphar declares independence and gradually comes under the sway of Mulhorand and is once again a protectorate of the Mulhorandi Empire within a decade.
-41 DR: Year of the Sphinx's Riddle: The Havi are pushed out of the Ejen Horo and into Murghom by other tribes (displaced by the resurgence of the Kao Dynasty).
-39 DR: Year of the Fraudulent Truths: Semphar rebels while Mulhorand deals with the Havi invading Murghom.

The last question becomes when did Mulhorand re-exert it's control over Semphar for the final time and did Semphar rebel in time with Thay's rebellion (they seem to have rebelled every other time Mulhorand experienced trouble).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
6985 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2018 :  23:54:51  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Well Semphar and Murghom are problematic history wise as the Hordelands only gives a brief overview of history and no actual dates so here is what I have.

-1482 DR: Mulhorand conquers the eastern realm of Semphar.
-1048 DR: Semphar declares independence from Mulhorand
-202 DR: Year of the Purchased Princes: The Kalmyks of the Endless Wastes conquer Semphar in the name of the Kao Dynasty of the Shou Lung Empire.
-120 DR: Year of Confusion: The Suren march against the Kalmyks, conquering Khazari and Ra-Khati. Semphar declares independence and gradually comes under the sway of Mulhorand and is once again a protectorate of the Mulhorandi Empire within a decade.
-41 DR: Year of the Sphinx's Riddle: The Havi are pushed out of the Ejen Horo and into Murghom by other tribes (displaced by the resurgence of the Kao Dynasty).
-39 DR: Year of the Fraudulent Truths: Semphar rebels while Mulhorand deals with the Havi invading Murghom.

The last question becomes when did Mulhorand re-exert it's control over Semphar for the final time and did Semphar rebel in time with Thay's rebellion (they seem to have rebelled every other time Mulhorand experienced trouble).

One thing I'd note is that the first rebellion is following the Orcgate wars in -1069 DR by twenty one years, and I'd imagine that this was during the fallout between Osiris and Horus and Set, while rulership was in flux.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3889 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2018 :  06:44:43  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I made that event up as I figured semphar would rebel during the period of civil strife.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3889 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2018 :  13:01:20  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have the base outline of Mulhorand available.

https://alternaterealmsblog.wordpress.com/home/regions/the-old-empires/mulhorand/

I've tried to expand somewhat on the history and distinguish it from real world Egypt.

The animal headed gods are now depicted as such because of the rise of beast cults during the second empire. The title of Pharaoh comes from the Imaskari title of Empheroar (meaning Lord Artificer), the gods have the same names but their history is based wholly on events within Faerun.

I've attempted to set up a governing dynamic in Mulhorand whereby the Pharaoh is the ultimate power and the Church of Horus-Re administers to the central government. Beneath the Pharaoh are the Divine Precepts who are the titular heads of each church (the Pharaoh is the Divine Precept of the Church of Horus-Re so is the most powerful man in Mulhorand) and each Church has an area of responsibility in central government. Beneath the Divine Precepts are the regional governors, known as Precepts, who implement policy within the regions.

Mulhorand has a standing army, known as the Legions of Dawn, each of which is recruited and maintained by the Church of Anhur, but each legion is often commanded by those loyal to the Church of Horus Re. The Precepts have a militia known as the Pehtemi (Shields of the People) who act as local police forces and internal patrolmen.

Just need to work on the specifics for now.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3889 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2018 :  20:40:33  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I came across the Font of Time in the Encyclopedia Magica.

Its a Mulhorandi artifact located in the Eastern Wastes (Raurin) that Nezram the Worldwalker writes about). Apparently if one stares into it on a full moon one can possess the body of someone and experience life during the height of Mulhorand (presumably the first empire).

Now that sounds like a time portal to me. So who would create a time portal in the Raurin Desert that links to the First Empire of Mulhorand. Or perhaps someone created a time portal and the last time they set it to was during the height of Mulhorand.

Was Nezram the Worldwalker actually a time traveler and that's how he got sooo powerful (living a lifetime in the past before returning to the present with all this knowledge).

Given its location in Raurin (if they are indeed the eastern wastes of Mulhorand), I'd be tempted to blame the construction on the Imaskari. If so why didn't they use it, perhaps they made it wrongly and tried to travel to a particular date (set in the future that didn't exist yet) and it was only after that date passed that the portal became active.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3889 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2018 :  13:18:24  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I made Karathoth (the maker of Karathoth's Jewel in encyclopedia magica) Karathoth I, the only non incarnation of Horus-re who reigned as Pharaoh for a brief time when all the incarnations of Horus were killed during Thays rebellion (more proof in my mind that the incarnations were not created by the gods but actually a ritual a supplicant had to undergo). So Karathoth reigns for 8 weeks while new candidates are selected and undergo the ritual (some are unsuccessful and perish or are twisted into abomjnations). After Karathoth abdicated his position he spends a year crafting the magnificent jewel that bears his name which has been bore by every Pharaoh since (12 of the 37 facets have cracked from use).

The secret of the manufacture of Karathoth's Jewel lies in the arcanum of magic although it is for a much lesser version 4-7 facets and has been reproduced by many over the years (who pay the church of thoth for access to the blueprint).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
6985 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2018 :  14:34:11  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

I came across the Font of Time in the Encyclopedia Magica.

Its a Mulhorandi artifact located in the Eastern Wastes (Raurin) that Nezram the Worldwalker writes about). Apparently if one stares into it on a full moon one can possess the body of someone and experience life during the height of Mulhorand (presumably the first empire).

Now that sounds like a time portal to me. So who would create a time portal in the Raurin Desert that links to the First Empire of Mulhorand. Or perhaps someone created a time portal and the last time they set it to was during the height of Mulhorand.

Was Nezram the Worldwalker actually a time traveler and that's how he got sooo powerful (living a lifetime in the past before returning to the present with all this knowledge).

Given its location in Raurin (if they are indeed the eastern wastes of Mulhorand), I'd be tempted to blame the construction on the Imaskari. If so why didn't they use it, perhaps they made it wrongly and tried to travel to a particular date (set in the future that didn't exist yet) and it was only after that date passed that the portal became active.

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21876

Read through this that I started last year.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3889 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2018 :  15:30:43  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I must have missed that one. Nice to see I was thinking similar things to everyone else.

Odd that he has descendants around azulduth and the lonely lake. Almost as if he lived in both places and fathered (or adopted) many children. Both places could be the location of the font of time.

I do now wonder how old Nezram is. He had lots of children by 643 DR and was already famous for his abilities. Is it possible that the font of time allows one to travel back as far as their birth but no further. So Nezram may be born in the middle of the first empire.

Nezram obviously didn't make the font and it's location indicates imaskari origin, but how would the imaskari create it and set it to a point in their future (impossible as far as dnd rules are concerned) unless it only allowed anyone to travel back to the point of their birth and no one was alive that was born before the Mulan appeared (thus preventing the imaskari from stopping their own destruction).

Nezram being an old incarnation is also an interesting one. He could be an incarnation of a long dead God of mulhorand, which would make for interesting hooks and possibilities to bring back a dead God.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3889 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2018 :  20:47:07  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I've decided who Nezram's father is, it is one of the Gods of Mulhorand, and its not a nice one. His real name is Nezra Amsetis, son of the Grand Vizier of Mulhorand and Divine Precept of the Priador.

I figured Nezram's knowledge of gemstone golems came from Imaskar (as did much of Mulhorand's magic). Nezram is probably one of the last people who know how to make these mighty monsters. Nezram learned about the Imaskari lore from his father, the greatest magic user in Mulhorand, known for his lengthy explorations of Raurin.

I'm not entirely sure what more to do with Nezram though. Considering he is the greatest wizard of his age, he is not mentioned as having done anything noteworthy so the first task is to think up of some epic achievements for him.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3889 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2018 :  21:34:13  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A brief article on Nezram for now that I can build upon when I decide what he has done.

I've decided Nezram went wandering the planes but then came back after his tower was destroyed and his secret chambers owned by the sarrukh.

Then Nezram went into the Font of Time to try and stop the sarrukh, not realizing that he accidentally caused the sarrukh to return and they weren't present on Toril that far back in the past. So he's spent over 2000 years in the past and may have gone a little bit mad and is now imprisoned (literally or in his mind) perhaps living as a hermit or as a mad oracle, and needs someone to come and free him.

https://alternaterealmsblog.wordpress.com/home/npcs/nezram/

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3889 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2018 :  08:59:17  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So Derlaunt started off the statues that wall. It's a nice hook but I want to do more with it.

He found a scroll that showed him how to control one of the statues (or so he thought with his very limited understanding of magic).

The question is where did he get the scroll from (nothing happens by accident).

Given that the sarrukh devised the ritual to interrupt the programming of the statues that wall I'm inclined to say they made sure Derlaunt got hold of the scroll but for what purpose. Just weakening mulhorand is no good because the sarrukh of okoth are not going to invade mulhorand they want to infiltrate it.

Any thoughts

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3889 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2018 :  17:34:04  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just happened to be reading through mulhorand quotes from pages from the mages.

I noticed that tassos arcanabula was left in tassos cave in starmantle. Also noted that chathuuladroth pilfered Nezram tower including his unique mageries time and kept it for 6 centuries until a band (called the black gauntlet) slew him and stole his hoard and took the unique mageries book back to their hold in starmantle.

Then in noted in 1324 DR that there was a renewed interest in times after a number of old books were recovered.

I wonder if the books were recovered by the same band and their hold was atop tassos old cave.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page