Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 PSA - Recent Things I Was Previously Not Aware Of
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2017 :  09:09:43  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi all, thought I would post here with regards to a few things I was unaware of, in the hope it will alert some of you to them too.

Ed Greenwood did an AMA thanks to the FR Archives, which is available on youtube.

DriveThruRPG and the DM's Guild have a 25% off sale on a lot of stuff at the moment, including a LOT of FR stuff - if you're into PDFs, now is the time to strike.

The Ed Greenwood Group (TEGG) site has a Realms section now with an article by Ed on some of the first forays into Waterdeep, a sign-up list, and the announcement of who won the Ormpur adventure-creating competition. I hadn't checked the site in ages, so was unaware of the revamp.

Ed has a credit on a couple of the Adventurer's League titles to come out of Gamehole Con in 2016 - Skulljaw Hill and Facing the Dark, which seem to revolve around Elventree and Cormanthor respectively, though I haven't yet puchased them. I have no idea of the extent to which Ed was involved.

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2017 :  09:32:29  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi8rT9FEsak In this interview apparently it is announced that WotC will outsource FR novels to TEGG

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2017 :  14:56:18  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmph.

Might be time to mend some fences. Not that they are still broken, but they could use a fresh coat of paint.

Not sure what that means for WotC, other than being able to wiggle out of their contractual arrangements with Ed (his 'writing one book per year' thing is now self-reliant), but it probably means VERY good things for TEGG (it will 'put them on the map', so to speak). It sounds like another win-win.

I wonder if he'll be able to connect - even obliquely - his own multiverse (errrr... I mean dozen individual settings) to FR? That would be pretty damn SWEET. Give the Hellmaw and Stormtalons lines (and the soon-to-be Folklore: The Affliction, which I am looking forward to) some D&D love. I know he had Steven Schend working on his own set of rules, but maybe now they can just do a TEGG version of 5e (like how Monte Cook took 3e and created his own setting-specific variant). I don't know how far along they are with rules, but it could be a further boost for them having it connected to the D&D resurgence.

EDIT:
Come to think of it, if their plans haven't changed overly-much, connecting the two at this time might be a 'match made in heaven'. It could directly tie into WotC's recent hints of connecting D&D to MtG. I have much to ponder now.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 26 Jul 2017 15:01:34
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2017 :  18:13:29  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Duneth Despana

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi8rT9FEsak In this interview apparently it is announced that WotC will outsource FR novels to TEGG

I was so happy to hear that I almost cried.

That is fantastic, thank you so much, I waa really depressed today, so I needed this to brighten my day, thabk you so much for this wonderful news.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2017 :  19:08:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm kinda surprised I've not seen this news about novels shared far and wide...

...But I've been suggesting WotC was going to farm out novels for something like a year now.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Adhriva
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2017 :  20:21:10  Show Profile  Visit Adhriva's Homepage Send Adhriva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm just going to step in here....
The video provided has nothing to do with new realm novels. What is being discussed are new adventuring modules by TEGG and the contest held.

Professional illustrator and comic book artist.
Portfolio
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2017 :  22:49:43  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Duneth Despana

Next time watch the video before getting peoples hopes up only to leave them bitterly disappointed.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2017 :  04:30:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Adhriva

I'm just going to step in here....
The video provided has nothing to do with new realm novels. What is being discussed are new adventuring modules by TEGG and the contest held.

...That would explain why people weren't spreading the news far and wide, then.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000