Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Stained Glass - What would you do?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2017 :  14:25:36  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Ok, let me start this off in that "this is for real life", but I would LIKE some realms appeal.

So, I've gotten some property (2 lots, one 5.7 acres the other 2.6 acres) far out in the countryside. Its a nice little subdivision with a lake (I'm not on it, but I can cross the street and get to it, not that I will very often). Property has about 10 large oak trees and that's it as far as trees. I'm going to have to plant a bunch of fruit trees, etc... I plan on building a 4' decorative brick wall that angles in on each side of the driveway, and putting up a plaque that says "Faewyld Acres". I then plan on decorating the top of this wall with some 3d printed decorations of things like a tressym, a faerie dragon, some pixies (maybe even tinkerbell), and maybe some 3d printed "faerie-sized" castles....(noting purpose of this wall is to have a nice big mailbox for packages and a place to hide the garbage cans) anyway, you get the gist of the idea.

Anyway, I'm playing in some home design software for the house plans (which is to say I'm in the dreaming phase). I plan on having a gabled roof where the flat side faces the street. I plan on having a wrap around small porch around the front and sides, and a hidden screened in back porch that's bigger. So, the bottom floor I plan on using some kind of relatively pretty brick, then a porch roof, and then you'll see the flat face of the second story (basically a flat triangle area for the second floor. I was thinking about getting two nice bay windows for the upper floor and then putting some kind of tall pretty window with an arch above it for the center.... and then I saw some stained glass at the brick place I went to yesterday, and I asked about the cost, and it sounds like they have a local woman who likes playing with stained glass projects and is reasonable if its not too hard.

So, obviously my first thought was Thor's hammer, then the symbol of the red wizards..... then I said "no one else will appreciate that". So, then I was thinking "my girlfriend would like flowers or some bird". So, I asked her how she'd like a stained glass mural, and her response was "it sounds like a pretty idea, but please don't do some stupid birds or a flower". Then, she said "a Fleur De Lis would probably be appreciated by a lot of folk down here". I honestly think that's a good idea, BUT..... there's this part of my that's picturing Mystra holy symbol... or Selune's holy symbol... or Lurue's holy symbol surrounded by Mystra's stars (but making the unicorn much more simple, like the unicorn symbol of Mielliki from 1st edition)... or even just a sun symbol...

So, I figured I'd ask the people who "think like me". What do you think would look interesting, but not make the house A) unsellable or B) a sore spot for the neighbors?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

LordXenophon
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2017 :  14:27:58  Show Profile Send LordXenophon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Starry Stream of Mystra is the way to go. That was easy.

Disintegration is in the eye of the Beholder.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2017 :  15:41:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The symbol of the Harpers. You don't have to even be aware of the Realms to think it's nifty looking.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2017 :  15:41:58  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, another one I was thinking about was Angharradh's symbol (I was looking at the "free to use" symbols that someone had posted and that I had made avatars of for the site). That one was purely because its pretty (I'm looking at the colored version where its yellow, blue, and red... with purple, green, and orange where it overlaps the two and white in the center).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2017 :  16:39:54  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

The symbol of the Harpers. You don't have to even be aware of the Realms to think it's nifty looking.

Hmmm, me likey... thinking about that also just awakened the idea of the symbol of Waterdeep (crescent moon, mountains, reflecting the crescent moon in the water), might be too complex, but... and googling THAT just showed me a symbol of the twisted tower of Ashaba with a "horns up" crescent moon behind it. All 3 of those would be great. I wonder, instead of just one.....

Hmmm, if dressed up a little more, Siamorphe's symbol could be pretty too. Symbol of a goblet, with a sun on it. Add some more gold... put a gold crown over the top... I wonder, a combination of three stained glass windows spread out a little (the Siamorphe one with the sun, the twisted tower of ashaba one with the moon, and Mystra or Selune with the stars).

Anyway, thank you, the more ideas, the more I look at, and since I probably won't be building for 8 months or more.... gives me a few months to dream.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 30 Apr 2017 17:26:46
Go to Top of Page

LordXenophon
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2017 :  17:15:01  Show Profile Send LordXenophon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you want multiple windows, how about the symbols of the Three Goddesses of Evergold? You only risk having those in the know assume that it must be a Love Shack.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2017 :  17:27:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordXenophon

If you want multiple windows, how about the symbols of the Three Goddesses of Evergold? You only risk having those in the know assume that it must be a Love Shack.

Only if it also has a tin roof that is.... RUSTED!

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2017 :  23:58:32  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A lot of random Realms heraldry, glyphs, sigils, and insignia were scattered throughout FR0 (1E Grey Box), FR1 through FR13 (up to FR6, the last 1E-specific product, anyways) and the 2E FRA. The FRA version of Mielikki's symbol was (to my mind) the best unicorn-based symbol to be found in Realmslore, more elegant than any of Lurue's symbols. Realms-based CRPGs often have lots of neat "non-canon" Realms symbols you won't find in any published TSR/WotC material.

If your girlfriend actually knows (and approves) of Fleur de Lis then you might want to peruse real-world historical, heraldric (even vexillologic) symbols. Plenty of good stuff out there, including countless variations and incorporations of Fleur de Lis. (Stained glass Fleur de Lis images.)

Me, I'd obviously choose the metal gauntlet-fist of House Steiner on my stained glass, lol, the traditional one and none of that Federated-Commonwealth nonsense.
I wouldn't want a star-encircled stylized unicorn or lunar image because it would just attract the interest of the local Wiccans (who are a bit of a weird lot) and local Twilight/werewolf fans (who are far too young for me) and local Starbucks hipsters (who are certainly not my kind of people).

Some kind of fantastic beast/monster unique to the Realms (not found in any other places or any mythology) might also be cool. Alas, the only Realms-specific-Realms-exclusive creature I can think of at the moment is the Crawling Claw, lol, not as exciting as something like a dragon or manticore or griffon.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 01 May 2017 00:21:09
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2017 :  00:43:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Me, I'd obviously choose the metal gauntlet-fist of House Steiner on my stained glass, lol, the traditional one and none of that Federated-Commonwealth nonsense.

Meh, why would you want that, when you can go for the much cooler sword and sunburst of House Davion?

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2017 :  01:14:22  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The eyes-and-stars of Mystra (like I've been using on my compass roses lately) is pretty cool.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 01 May 2017 01:14:44
Go to Top of Page

LordXenophon
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2017 :  02:20:05  Show Profile Send LordXenophon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Isn't the Eyes and Stars a symbol of Selune?

Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2017 :  03:13:45  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would the diabolic star of Asmodeus scare too many onlookers?

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2017 :  03:15:37  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordXenophon

Isn't the Eyes and Stars a symbol of Selune?

Probably. I don't pay all that much attention to religious symbols - I just know I like the way it looks.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2017 :  05:03:21  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Meh, why would you want that, when you can go for the much cooler sword and sunburst of House Davion?

The answer to that is obvious! House Davion is almost certainly not girlfriend-approved.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2017 :  10:20:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

The answer to that is obvious! House Davion is almost certainly not girlfriend-approved.

I don't know if that's a relationship worth pursuing, then.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6647 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2017 :  11:46:50  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The crossed sword and wand! Impiltur!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2017 :  13:03:20  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

A lot of random Realms heraldry, glyphs, sigils, and insignia were scattered throughout FR0 (1E Grey Box), FR1 through FR13 (up to FR6, the last 1E-specific product, anyways) and the 2E FRA. The FRA version of Mielikki's symbol was (to my mind) the best unicorn-based symbol to be found in Realmslore, more elegant than any of Lurue's symbols. Realms-based CRPGs often have lots of neat "non-canon" Realms symbols you won't find in any published TSR/WotC material.

If your girlfriend actually knows (and approves) of Fleur de Lis then you might want to peruse real-world historical, heraldric (even vexillologic) symbols. Plenty of good stuff out there, including countless variations and incorporations of Fleur de Lis. (Stained glass Fleur de Lis images.)

I wouldn't want a star-encircled stylized unicorn or lunar image because it would just attract the interest of the local Wiccans (who are a bit of a weird lot) and local Twilight/werewolf fans (who are far too young for me) and local Starbucks hipsters (who are certainly not my kind of people).

Some kind of fantastic beast/monster unique to the Realms (not found in any other places or any mythology) might also be cool. Alas, the only Realms-specific-Realms-exclusive creature I can think of at the moment is the Crawling Claw, lol, not as exciting as something like a dragon or manticore or griffon.

Yes on the Mielikki symbol from 1e. I was specifically looking at it because A) its simple for a glass carver which should help with cost, and B) I have always liked it. That being said, you mention "other creatures", and suddenly that made me think of Pegasus. Wonder if I could find a simple line drawing of a pegasi.

Oh, and also, thanks for the link to the fleur delis stained glass. I guess I wasn't getting imaginative enough. I do like some of this (well, a lot of this). I hadn't really thought of the "multiple fleur de lis" or "fleur de lis of many colors"... and I should have living down here near Louisiana. Guess I need to start picking out brick and stone colors to get an idea of what would match. I think I'm pretty much decided that I'm doing multiple now.... until I talk to the lady and start getting prices and freak out.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2017 :  13:08:33  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

The eyes-and-stars of Mystra (like I've been using on my compass roses lately) is pretty cool.

Yeah, I've been looking at that one very much. I also have a pin that's a variation of that, but with mystra stream of blue coming behind the eyes (so it's a mixture of selune's and mystra's symbol). There's a purple background on that, but I'd probably make that clear glass, and do the stars and eyes as gold, with a blue stream and blue border. I like that variation of the eyes though as opposed to the 1e version of them which was simpler.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2017 :  13:10:59  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

The crossed sword and wand! Impiltur!

-- George Krashos

hmmmm.... you know.... I did make a drawing of that. It would be generic enough too, and I could probably match up the colors to anything.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

RDS
Acolyte

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2017 :  18:50:48  Show Profile Send RDS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Myself I've always thought the Lyran Gauntlet a bit plain and liked the addition of the Davion starburst. I think the FC symbol would be a better stained glass than the others alone. Though the hated Draconis Combine dragon would look sweet too.

RDS
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000