Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 D&D movie update.......Dragons of Autumn Twilight?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2017 :  18:55:27  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Looks like ia d&d movie could be inching forward ever slowly. Although I love the realms and would love a FR movie.....the Dragonlance Chronicles always seemed to me as a great source for movies.

It also doesn't hurt that one of the guys writing and pushing for it has some star power and could probably be a great Caramon.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 07 Apr 2017 19:04:24

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2017 :  23:46:54  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw a news article to that effect. As much as I would love a Realms movie, that story holds a lot of great potential.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Taleras
Seeker

75 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2017 :  01:51:19  Show Profile Send Taleras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If they did a Dragonlance movie would that essentially be the cartoon released some time ago?
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2017 :  12:35:44  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Forgotten realms will be more suitable setting for a movie!

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2017 :  16:27:09  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
given that they did release the cartoon version of Dragons of Autumn Twilight within the past ten years, I'd be surprised if they could get the rights to do another version just yet. Not that I'm any legal expert on that kind of stuff.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Thoth
Acolyte

Canada
31 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2017 :  17:36:29  Show Profile Send Thoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hard to say if that would be the World they choose. I would expect it would be an FR movie, not DL.

The cartoon wasn't bad...
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2017 :  20:30:46  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thoth

Hard to say if that would be the World they choose. I would expect it would be an FR movie, not DL.

The cartoon wasn't bad...

Yeah, that's what I felt... it wasn't good... it wasn't bad... I would have bought more if they'd produced it just to encourage improvemement... they didn't.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2017 :  21:03:21  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BARDOBARBAROS

It really doesn't matter what you or I think.

Or even what Ed thinks. Its like this - FR is one of their IPs that has now be connected to D&D moreso than ever be for - the two have become 'one and the same'. THUS, if they are making a D&D movie, it would be a TERRIBLE business decision to do it about another (now unsupported) setting, and especially bad if it was set in some ambiguous 'generic fantasy world' (like the other D&D movies).

IP-based movies are HUGE these days - just look at Marvel and others. Hasbro has at a least as much source material to draw upon to create its own 'D&D Universe' movie franchise. They better not **** this up this time - it could be amazing, if they do the damn thing right (for a change).

Heck, they could even do the Stan Lee thing using Ed Greenwood (how cool would THAT be?), and have end-credit scenes. No sense not using a formula that has proven to work well. We could even get a Deadpool-like character for comedic relief (Jarlaxle, naturally). Jeeze, you want to be uber-successful? Just copy what someone else did to get that way.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

ZeshinX
Learned Scribe

Canada
210 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2017 :  21:51:49  Show Profile  Visit ZeshinX's Homepage Send ZeshinX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

[quote]It really doesn't matter what you or I think.

Or even what Ed thinks. Its like this - FR is one of their IPs that has now be connected to D&D moreso than ever be for - the two have become 'one and the same'. THUS, if they are making a D&D movie, it would be a TERRIBLE business decision to do it about another (now unsupported) setting, and especially bad if it was set in some ambiguous 'generic fantasy world' (like the other D&D movies).

IP-based movies are HUGE these days - just look at Marvel and others. Hasbro has at a least as much source material to draw upon to create its own 'D&D Universe' movie franchise. They better not **** this up this time - it could be amazing, if they do the damn thing right (for a change).

Heck, they could even do the Stan Lee thing using Ed Greenwood (how cool would THAT be?), and have end-credit scenes. No sense not using a formula that has proven to work well. We could even get a Deadpool-like character for comedic relief (Jarlaxle, naturally). Jeeze, you want to be uber-successful? Just copy what someone else did to get that way.

So long as they ensure that any movie is a story told, start to finish, within itself. I'm all for a connected universe, but I'm starting to see them turn into 2.5 hour trailers for "The Big One" that is inevitably teased.

"...because despite the best advice of those who know what they are talking about, other people insist on doing the most massively stupid things."
-Galen, technomage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2017 :  22:09:14  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, you *can* get away with that, but not at first. First they have to get everyone hooked on the movies/franchise.

And sadly, I STILL think Drizzt and drow-stuff is the way to go with it. RAS hit mainstream, so his stuff has a wider appeal (even if it was 'drunken Wulfgar' that won him the general public's accolades). I'm no fanboi, but I understand how to sell crap, and you have to go with 'whats hot', and an angsty, black hero is PRECISELY what would sell right now (and we don't even have to make the mistake comics are making, by 'forcing' it - Drizzt is already PERFECT (in all respects), to appeal to a modern audience. He's like a pretty version of Blade... with dragons! (Hell, he's like Blade meets Twilight - you grab both the dude and 'chick' demographic with that!) It really is pure WIN (and I reiterate, most staunchly, I don't even like Drizzt!)

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 11 Apr 2017 06:03:59
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2017 :  23:15:25  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by BARDOBARBAROS

It really doesn't matter what you or I think.

LOL, I'd love to see the Ed Greenwood thing. For that matter, having Ed show up as a person faking being Elminster (a charlatan!) would be funny as hell.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2017 :  01:08:45  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought it was going to be in Undermountain, if it's been moved to Dragonlance, then that's a warning sign that FR's time is basically up, and our last chance to get the novels line rekindled and a FRCG is now gone.

They revived FR only to drive a stake through it's heart.

So much potential all gone to waste.

RIP FR.
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2017 :  01:23:04  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bit dramatic don't you think?

An actor posting a photo of a script they want to be a movie isn't the same as confirming it's the next D&D movie. And even if the movie isn't FR, that doesn't mean FR is dead. Many people have proclaimed the Realms to be dead many times over the years, and it's still the most popular, most played, most well known D&D setting. The main D&D podcast has a whole segment with "Lore You Should Know" about the Forgotten Realms. The Realms are alive and well - they would be even more vibrant with a movie, but it won't break them. With FR essentially being core D&D now, I would argue the Realms will be only continue to grow over the next decade, movie or no movie.

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2017 :  01:52:25  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm happy that D&D movies are away from the Realms... those movies are awful.

Unless they got the talent and the funds to do a proper FR movie, I prefer they do not touch the Realms. And having either the talent and funds not means automatic success, neither (Warcraft movie, for instance).

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 11 Apr 2017 01:54:05
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2017 :  08:37:14  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I fear that the dollars required for awesome production values just won't be there, meaning a by the numbers fantasy piece. I'd love to be proved wrong.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Thoth
Acolyte

Canada
31 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2017 :  15:52:24  Show Profile Send Thoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, if they hired a great writer to help Ed and R.A., and spent a crap load of money, they could make this movie a summer blockbuster.

Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2017 :  20:18:47  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, you *can* get away with that, but not at first. First they have to get everyone hooked on the movies/franchise.

And sadly, I STILL think Drizzt and drow-stuff is the way to go with it. RAS hit mainstream, so his stuff has a wider appeal (even if it was 'drunken Wulfgar' that won him the general public's accolades). I'm no fanboi, but I understand how to sell crap, and you have to go with 'whats hot', and an angsty, black hero is PRECISELY what would sell right now (and we don't even have to make the mistake comics are making, by 'forcing' it - Drizzt is already PERFECT (in all respects), to appeal to a modern audience. He's like a pretty version of Blade... with dragons! (Hell, he's like Blade meets Twilight - you grab both the dude and 'chick' demographic with that!) It really is pure WIN (and I reiterate, most staunchly, I don't even like Drizzt!)

Its a tough sell because the majority of black characters would be evil. They would need to really emphasize that there are black Humans and dye the Drow Skin Ebony Jet black to pronounce the difference so African Americans don't denounce the movie.

In a way, it depends on the audience they are targeting. Children and Lord of the rings style crowd? Yes, Salvatore is the way to go.

Adults who want fantasy more in the game of thrones mold where murders are committed, antiheroes are given screentime and main characters die? Probably Erevis Cale style books
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2017 :  21:27:57  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KanzenAU

Bit dramatic don't you think?

An actor posting a photo of a script they want to be a movie isn't the same as confirming it's the next D&D movie. And even if the movie isn't FR, that doesn't mean FR is dead. Many people have proclaimed the Realms to be dead many times over the years, and it's still the most popular, most played, most well known D&D setting. The main D&D podcast has a whole segment with "Lore You Should Know" about the Forgotten Realms. The Realms are alive and well - they would be even more vibrant with a movie, but it won't break them. With FR essentially being core D&D now, I would argue the Realms will be only continue to grow over the next decade, movie or no movie.

Actually the realms IS current dead, aside from the rare AP. The Realms line of novels is gone, Volo's Guide to Monster had barely anything to do with the realms despite the name which was just a deceitful attempt to lure FR fans into a product that is 95% generic product.

The Realms is already 99% dead. Your late to the funeral.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2017 :  03:26:11  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

quote:

Its a tough sell because the majority of black characters would be evil. They would need to really emphasize that there are black Humans and dye the Drow Skin Ebony Jet black to pronounce the difference so African Americans don't denounce the movie.

In a way, it depends on the audience they are targeting. Children and Lord of the rings style crowd? Yes, Salvatore is the way to go.

Adults who want fantasy more in the game of thrones mold where murders are committed, antiheroes are given screentime and main characters die? Probably Erevis Cale style books

Well, if they just focus on Drizzt - maybe start with the stories in the order RAS did them. I don't think we saw any other drow in the first trilogy.

Leave out the part where Bruenor eats the giant's brains, though.

Angsty Kewl sulky black character, pretty young ginger girl with a bow (*cough* Katnis *cough*), burly Thor-wanna-be (mixed with Conan), and a dwarf and a halfling stolen right out of LotR (right down to the king reclaiming his dwarfhold from a dragon).

Its got buckets of trope all over it... and the masses will eat that crap right up.

Just add in a priest character (since that 'party' never had one), and then kill him off. Maybe a Mage as well, and make them both 'lovable' rogues, or whatever, so when they die horribly we get our feels. Done deal.

Then again, didn't Wulfgar 'die'? Its not like they can't tinker with the timeline - all franchises do that when they move away from the original print versions.

Do you think Peter Dinklage as Bruenor would be a bit too much? We already got us giants galore - just need some popsickle undead and we have our GoT knock-off.

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Apr 2017 03:29:42
Go to Top of Page

Ari
Acolyte

40 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2017 :  05:53:15  Show Profile Send Ari a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Between the new King Arthur movie, the Warcraft movie, and the entirely too many Hobbit movies I feel another generic fantasy romp is a terrible idea. Eating the same thing every day is boring. Even putting aside the weird racism inherent to an always-evil species of sapients who have dark skin, Drizz't just isn't that interesting, and the world he inhabits takes so much buy-in and surrounding lore to make sense you'd need either genuinely good writing to get it all across without ten thousand miles of exposition or else just sideline it with the Star Wars method of just never bringing attention to it.

It would almost be better if they followed the story of the Company of the Lynx. At least that has the youthful idealism being corrupted by the arrogance of office theme as they apotheosize.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2017 :  06:30:31  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't even know what that is LOL

Is it from a novel that came around after FR stopped being relevant?

I liked the saurials stories as well, but after seeing those draconian knock-offs in Jupiter Ascending, I'm afraid to see what another movie does with reptile-folk. A Cormyr trilogy could be awesome - maybe a Hollywood version of the death of the Dragon series (with Azoun dying at the end). That should give us our GoT/Waking Dead 'feels'. If they picked the right actress for Alusair it could have all the right elements (sex, politics, more sex, betrayal, even more sex, then some murders just before more sex...)

I'm wondering now if dragons themselves are overdone. Illithids might be grittier, and thus more 'modern', but then people will think they're Ood or Davey Jones. And if we have Mindflayers, drow are almost a given. An on-going cable series based on Waterdeep would be cool, but I can't see a one-off movie about it - too much to cover, once again.

Spellfire? Young female heroine, with a male 'sidekick' - thats the right formula for this current market. Spellfire could work, and its loaded with all the right tropes (dragons, 'ebil clandestine groups', powerful magic users, a dracolich... has that been done on film?) Yeah, Spellfire might be just the ticket... the angsty male is starting to get dated (early 2000's).

The fall of Netheril would look amazing on film as well. Movies don't need to stick to setting canon. All we need are some truly epic eye-candy scenes with cities crashing into the ground, or even into each other. It would make for a helluva ending.

Okay, combine the two - the Crystal Shard and Spellfire, and give Catie Brie spellfire (and the bow... the arrows shoot the magic). Leave Bruenor, but kill-off Wulfgar right away (make him even bigger and dumber - thats our 'Hodor' right there). Have them team-up with a (lesbian) catgirl priestess and a cursed vampire mage (who uses ninja-like 'hand signs' to do his spells), and we cover ALL the angles. All we need is tons of special effects and it doesn't even need a plot. It might not win any oscars, but it will probably do well at the box office. Throw an 'R' rating on it and get the Catholic church to denounce it (catgirl has sex with a demon?), and its pure gold.

Oh, and have Morgan freeman narrate it... as Elminster. Yeaaaaaah... thats the ticket. Hollywood here I come.

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Apr 2017 06:36:16
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2017 :  07:05:15  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Assuming WotC/Hasbro has the rights, they are missing a huge opportunity in not adapting the 1980s Dungeons & Dragons cartoon. Just my opinion, of course.

- Ryan
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2017 :  11:58:23  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Do you think Peter Dinklage as Bruenor would be a bit too much? We already got us giants galore - just need some popsickle undead and we have our GoT knock-off"

What has Peter Dinklage ever done to you?
Go to Top of Page

Thoth
Acolyte

Canada
31 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2017 :  12:43:51  Show Profile Send Thoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't honestly know if a story other than Drizzt gets made though.

Having Peter Dinklage would be a draw, of course, as would a few other choice castings. I just don't think a movie gets made...and right now, with Shannara and GoT out there, TV might be too inundated. Personally I would prefer a TV show, all at once so I could binge watch it like I just did Iron Fist.

:)
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2017 :  17:42:57  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If Hasbro/WoTC were smart, they'd make this movie an animated affair. Or even better make it a TV series. High Fantasy live action movies never work. Tolkien isn't high fantasy IMO, Game of Thrones is more of a period piece, and Harry Potter was grounded in the real world. Thoth has the right thinking in wanting the old cartoon idea revived. It could be something akin to a Harry Potter style story. Ground the viewer in the real world and then slowly lead them into high fantasy.

But the people involved don't seem to be up to the task of doing this right. They are motivated by money in an attempt to replicate Marvel's success. They care nothing for the IP and will wreck it in the process. My advice for everyone is to not get your hopes up, forget it exists, and MAYBE be pleasantly surprised if it somehow turns out well.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2017 :  18:39:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh, and have Morgan freeman narrate it... as Elminster. Yeaaaaaah... thats the ticket. Hollywood here I come.

"I must admit I didn't think much of Shandril first time I laid eyes on her; looked like a stiff breeze would blow her over. That was my first impression of the lass."

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 12 Apr 2017 18:45:15
Go to Top of Page

Ari
Acolyte

40 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2017 :  05:49:12  Show Profile Send Ari a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In case that wasn't sarcasm Markustay, the Company of the Lynx(an animal that, as any Canadian knows, smells damned terrible) was from 2e and were the central figures of the Time of Troubles. I know 2e is shunned with much gnashing of teeth and rending of fine garments here, but I will brave the storm to bring this knowledge to light as is my wont of undinted courage.

They were the people who became gods at the close of the arc. Kelemvor "Mutton Chops" Lyonsbane, Midnight Minimystra, Cyric McBackstabbersman, some Sune priest(I know. Not priestess? Bold choice) and Kelemvor's lycanthrope panther form invented to show off the new lycanthropy rules.

As we all know Cyric lost his mind while gaining the powers of three ancient gods, Kelemvor's efforts at reforming death buckled under the weight of the other gods and cosmic inconsistencies and Mystra had to endure Elminster's drunken late-night sendings.
Go to Top of Page

Ari
Acolyte

40 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2017 :  05:52:07  Show Profile Send Ari a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And I feel 120 minutes of Netherese archmages reenacting the Fast and the Furious movies with their flying magic enclaves would be divine.
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2017 :  08:10:21  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ari

And I feel 120 minutes of Netherese archmages reenacting the Fast and the Furious movies with their flying magic enclaves would be divine.

Oh no, don't let Justin Lin near it.

- Ryan
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2017 :  09:47:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ari

In case that wasn't sarcasm Markustay, the Company of the Lynx(an animal that, as any Canadian knows, smells damned terrible) was from 2e and were the central figures of the Time of Troubles. I know 2e is shunned with much gnashing of teeth and rending of fine garments here, but I will brave the storm to bring this knowledge to light as is my wont of undinted courage.

They were the people who became gods at the close of the arc. Kelemvor "Mutton Chops" Lyonsbane, Midnight Minimystra, Cyric McBackstabbersman, some Sune priest(I know. Not priestess? Bold choice) and Kelemvor's lycanthrope panther form invented to show off the new lycanthropy rules.

As we all know Cyric lost his mind while gaining the powers of three ancient gods, Kelemvor's efforts at reforming death buckled under the weight of the other gods and cosmic inconsistencies and Mystra had to endure Elminster's drunken late-night sendings.

Huh. I don't recall that group having a name, but it's been ages since I read those novels.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Thoth
Acolyte

Canada
31 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2017 :  11:46:52  Show Profile Send Thoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hahahah! Oh, that was rich waking up to this morning. Heh.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000