Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Demi-Human Followers (an AD&D 1e "talk")
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2019 :  03:58:27  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
When a Human Fighter gains followers, they are Human Men-at-Arms.

When a Dwarf Fighter gains followers, shouldn't they be Dwarves?

If they ARE dwarves, how should that be done? I ask because if they are all Mountain (Shield Dwarves) then they would be 1+1 Hit Dice individuals...which, though they can only have up to 9 Hit Points, makes them attack at a level equal to a 3rd level Human Fighter!

The same would be true for Elves...who ALL have 1+1 Hit Dice. That makes for some deadly followers as far as hitting the enemy goes.

Now Gnomes and Halflings aren't as bad (and will rarely be high enough level fighters to attract followers of that type anyway); so no major concern there.

However, having an Elf or Mountain Dwarf obtain followers...and their to hit abilities are staggering compared to humans and so it seems a little off.

Does anyone know of a source that points out how many followers Demi-Humans should gain that I may have missed?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2019 :  10:32:37  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dalor, I'm pretty sure there is an old Dragon Magazine article dealing on followers for the Demihuman fighters. I can search for its number, if you wish so.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2019 :  15:07:10  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those ideas end each time for me on fairness in the game. Is the character only one who will have followers? If yes how are other players compensated for it?
With this in mind I can use whatever I find fitting for those as long as nobody is left in disadvantage.
So if you think dwarven commoners should be that much tougher than humans than go for it. Question is what will you give to other players to be fair.
I personaly would make them the same as humans and differ them by equipment saying their regiments are better armored but more expensive.

The same goes for dwarven ladies :-)
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2019 :  17:44:29  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The article is in Dragon 115, called "Elven Armies and Dwarven Men-at-Arms." It has tables for halflings, gnomes, and a variety of dwarves and elves (valley elves, wood elves, wild elves, high elves, etc. to give you an idea of how old the article is).

Personally, I don't think there's a problem with dwarven or elven followers being a bit tougher than human followers. The conceit of the Realms has always been the dwarves might be tougher than humans, elves might be more skilled, but there are just so darn many humans. An elven or dwarven lord is going to face a lot of pressures that a human lord might not necessarily. One or two extra hit points on their followers really isn't going to make a difference.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2019 :  18:17:00  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys!

I also found something in Dragon No. 99 for Dwarven Lords in the article "Tables and Tables of Troops"

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000