Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 D&D movie update.......Dragons of Autumn Twilight?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

R P Davis
Acolyte

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2017 :  16:11:42  Show Profile  Visit R P Davis's Homepage Send R P Davis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

But the people involved don't seem to be up to the task of doing this right. They are motivated by money in an attempt to replicate Marvel's success. They care nothing for the IP and will wreck it in the process. My advice for everyone is to not get your hopes up, forget it exists, and MAYBE be pleasantly surprised if it somehow turns out well.

You mean like the Chris Pine Star Trek movies? Or the Dr Who TV reboot?

Seriously, though, if Wizbro want to do an epic fantasy story, Dragonlance is the way to go. It's a LOT of information to cram into 90-120 minutes, though.

Hell, just give it to PJax; it'll be five 120-minute movies and billion$ in merch.

Cheers,

Bob
www.r-p-davis.com
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2017 :  19:33:22  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not familiar enough with DL to judge. Most of my knowledge comes through Lord Soth, and thats only because he was in Ravenloft for a time. Now, a movie based around that, or just RL, would be kinda cool, but without knowledge of all the other settings, it might not be able to stand-alone (since its whole premise is that its a hodgepodge of settings).

I'm only looking at this froman FR perspective though - what 'bits' of The Realms are highly marketable in today's cultural environment. Right now, anything having to do with 'freedom of sexual expression', oppression, and 'emotionally distraught female hero' (as opposed to the traditional fantasy trope of the stoic male hero) would sell like hotcakes.

Although I've never actually witnessed Hotcakes selling all that well...

The Morgan Freeman thing is pure gold. I'm not a big fan of changing stuff from canon (it NOT 'racism', its GROGNARDISM), but I can totally see Freeman pulling it off with aplomb. Loved your add, BTW, Wooly.

Any type of narration by an 'Elminster type' would go along way in telling some backstory without having to do it heavy-handed style in-story (I really hate all that artificial-sounding dialogue, "lets talk about our past for absolutely no reason at all blah blah blah..."). Of course, ED Greenwood could probably do a better job, but he wouldn't have the wide-appeal Morgan Freeman would.

I hope you all have realized that I don't mind selling a bit of our souls to get FR to become mainstream? Sometimes, if you love something, you have to set it free. Someone mentioned Star Trek, and thats a pretty good comparison (and as an old 'Trekkie' from WAY back - so much so Uhuru knew who I was at Gencon 2012, from a meeting we had at the ST convention in Manhattan back in 1975!!! - can accept a new continuity, than I guess we all can).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 14 Apr 2017 19:33:41
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2017 :  03:54:20  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh gods! I would rather see FR die than see it go mainstream. To me the end result is the same. I've already given up Star Trek for dead given the terrible movies in the Faux Trek timeline.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2017 :  06:49:22  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The first movie was good...

The second? Well... lets just say I didn't bother to go see the third.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Ari
Acolyte

40 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2017 :  15:46:36  Show Profile Send Ari a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shame, it's the most Star Trek thing for decades. Making war part of your identity makes you a monster! Revenge is pointless! Inner-city Black American culture holds the key to victory!

There's no horrible romance sub-plot, it has an actual, developed ending and resolution. There's a bit where Kirk realizes he's older than his father was when Kirk Sr. bought it. The new woman character isn't an embarrassment. Into Darkness was bad but it doesn,t stain Beyond.
Go to Top of Page

Ari
Acolyte

40 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2017 :  16:03:53  Show Profile Send Ari a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Besides which, Caolin hasn't the Forgotten Realms been "mainstream" since the 80's? I admit I only knew about it around 2002, but TSR and Hasbro have always been tryin to make it more popular and fit current trends, even if largely narrative ones. If it's kept in some box like a relic it will just die.

I look at it kind of like the A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones split: Game of Thrones is a really badly-written show that makes Martin's invented world, themes and characters into a cartoon land of Seinfieldian nihilism, but it brought the ideas and a few of the core principles out into the eyes of a wider audience who could be inspired by it.

The whole reason we HAVE the Realms now is because Greenwood wanted other people to see it. Also money, but the first was a big part of it. Eberron, Dragonlance, Midgard, the worlds of Pathfinder etc., all owe as much to that weird, silly, endearingly corny imagnary world.

There are some real good things to take from the FR. Diversity and open-mindedness as a force unto itself, for example, is baked into its base assumptions. But if it just stalls into a footnote of irrelevant gaming trivia then so what.

Going "mainstream" for mass appeal will mean losing a lot of what has been taken for granted for many years. But it will gain a lot more back. Even if it means the movie will probably be some hackjob made by whomever a toy company can round up.

It can't be worse than the Spellplague.

Edited by - Ari on 15 Apr 2017 16:05:00
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2017 :  19:47:56  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Forgotten Realms is the setting of settings.

Within Faerun proper You have the Heartlands, the Old Empires Region, the Swordcoast & the North, The Lands of Intrugue, the Moonshaes, Evermeet, the Utter East, The Hordelands, the Cold Lands, The Dragon Coast, Chult, The Shining Plains, The Shaar, The Inner Sea, and so on, most of which are areas that make fine settings in their own right.

Then you can go beyond Faerun to Maztica, Kara Tur, Zakara, Kalaskara (I may have misspelled that, Archrome, Osse, and then beyond Toril to Abier, Glyth, and the planes.

So I can see as decentralized as the realms are, how hard knowing where to set a movie really is, but my suggestion is starting with Everis Cale, he would transition well to movies and he doesn't piss people off like Drizzt does (not me, other people).
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2017 :  23:53:15  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

Within Faerun proper You have the Heartlands, the Old Empires Region, the Swordcoast & the North, The Lands of Intrugue, the Moonshaes, Evermeet, the Utter East, The Hordelands, the Cold Lands, The Dragon Coast, Chult, The Shining Plains, The Shaar, The Inner Sea, and so on, most of which are areas that make fine settings in their own right.

Then you can go beyond Faerun to Maztica, Kara Tur, Zakara, Kalaskara (I may have misspelled that, Archrome, Osse, and then beyond Toril to Abier, Glyth, and the planes.

So I can see as decentralized as the realms are, how hard knowing where to set a movie really is, but my suggestion is starting with Everis Cale, he would transition well to movies and he doesn't piss people off like Drizzt does (not me, other people).

I suggested Cale as well. The books have a tad more Game of thrones type feel that the audience today craves.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2017 :  01:38:34  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Cale series could work, with some tweaking. We'd need some more 'identifiable' characters ('white dude of middling years' just doesn't cut the mustard anymore - audiences are bored with that). The stuff with the gnolls in the Gulthmere is golden - that makes for some great eye-candy. Not sure how the Slaad would look - could be amazing, could be silly. And Jak is good for the 'feels'. The Sojournor is an epic villain - would look great on-screen, but might be too awesome for a first FR movie (it would be very hard to top a guy who juggles planets). I don't know what happens in latter books - I avoid anything having to do with Gods or even Chosen (hence, why I haven't read ANY FR books in quite some time).

Erin's Tiefling character would work, but we'd have to dial-back those horns to keep her more 'humanish' (once again, trying t go with a character that would please today's tastes). Maybe shoe-horn her into the Cale stories somehow. Start her out human, and then her demonic heritage gets 'awakened' (YES, I know that now how the stories or even D&D goes, but we're talking about a movie with mass-appeal here). We have to first feel sorry for the character before we can like her.

You know, with the Neverwinter Nights and Baldur's Gate game - not to mention the Drizzt books - you would think FR was already mainstream, but NOPE, for whatever reason, most people are still unaware of it.

quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

No Hordelands? That's my FAVORITE sub-setting.

Probably because not only can it easily stand on its own, it 'marries' at least three other major Torillian settings.

Semphar and Murghôm need more love.

Edited by - Markustay on 17 Apr 2017 01:43:15
Go to Top of Page

Ari
Acolyte

40 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2017 :  02:42:09  Show Profile Send Ari a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sembia as the Realms' 'default' land has a lot going for it. In the thick of a bunch of major national feuds, mercenary and trading central, cosmopolitan without the Sword Coast's very Canadian tolerance and warm-hearted acceptance to work around, right across the pond from Tymanther and Akan#363;l, so easy to explain where these weird folks come from, it has it all. Especially since a lot of fantasy worlds have the problem that their major locale requires you to trek all the way to the butt-end of nowhere to get to the good parts. Looking at you, Shire.

Not even any history to work around or nothing because WHAT HISTORY. It started out as a blank slate and besides the novels it's only major tie-in role was as an unwilling province and subject of the Shadovar. Which is great because most fantasy stories need some relative normality to break from.

Markustay, even if we're just spinning hypotheticals, is making Farideh less outwardly monstrous wise? It,s a major part of the character that a lot of people just see "a tiefling" and dump buckets of implicit/explicit bigotry on her head. Obviously the massive, curling horns, blank orbs of one solid colour for eyes, big tail and blackened veins would be a hassle, but I feel it would be worth the effort. Of course, making the difference between her and a normal human slighter and leaning on how ridiculous it is that people react that way could be good too...
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2017 :  06:56:09  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Problem is, in a movie we SEE 'the monster'. We need audiences to identify with the character. At least start her off humanish, and have her fiendish heritage 'awaken' (perhaps when she hits puberty? Like a mutant?) THEN we have a strong female character who is treated badly just for the way she looks, or acts, and THAT is something today's audiences CAN identify with.

Whatever they go with, I just hope the damn movie is good (for once), and if it turns out bad (again), then maybe we should be thankful if it isn't set in the Realms.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2017 :  10:46:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We have a release date: July 23, 2021.

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/dungeons-dragons/248146/dungeons-dragons-movie-news

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 19 Dec 2017 10:49:43
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2017 :  12:35:18  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/dungeons-dragons/248146/dungeons-dragons-movie-news

I saw that on Facebook last night.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2017 :  16:31:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw that as well - its being lumped-in with new Transformer and GI Joe movies ('Hasbro properties'). Does Disney own Hasbro yet? They seem to own the rest of the planet now.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2017 :  17:06:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I saw that on Facebook last night.

As did I, and a lot more of it this morn. I was surprised no one had brought the news here.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2017 :  17:43:00  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brimstone and I both waited for someone else to do it.

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Dec 2017 02:18:22
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2017 :  21:14:48  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I had to pick a book / plot to choose for a movie adaptation of the Realms I'd pick either Spellfire or Pool of Radiance. Shandril is an awesome character with fun supporting characters and an easily identifiable Villian/Group, plus the story overall is fantastic. For Pool of Radiance, it has that great nostalgia for those who've played both the Video Game and/or ran the adventure back in the TSR days. It also has some nostalgia for those who played Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor back in the early 2000's when 3.0 was released (and the infamous video game that went along with it). It has all the classic tropes for a D&D movie: a dungeon, a dragon, recognizable monsters, cool characters (I really just wanna see a Cleric of Tyr wield Tyr's Hammer) and a easy-to-follow plot.

Both stories are great exploratory adventures that can easily capture the essence of the Forgotten Realms without having over arching stories involving TONS of people and places.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2017 :  21:40:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

If I had to pick a book / plot to choose for a movie adaptation of the Realms I'd pick either Spellfire or Pool of Radiance. Shandril is an awesome character with fun supporting characters and an easily identifiable Villian/Group, plus the story overall is fantastic. For Pool of Radiance, it has that great nostalgia for those who've played both the Video Game and/or ran the adventure back in the TSR days. It also has some nostalgia for those who played Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor back in the early 2000's when 3.0 was released (and the infamous video game that went along with it). It has all the classic tropes for a D&D movie: a dungeon, a dragon, recognizable monsters, cool characters (I really just wanna see a Cleric of Tyr wield Tyr's Hammer) and a easy-to-follow plot.

Both stories are great exploratory adventures that can easily capture the essence of the Forgotten Realms without having over arching stories involving TONS of people and places.

One of the blurbs I read discussed a potential plot for the movie, and said that at some point in the past it was the angle they were going for -- and it wasn't a story I recognized.

Which was fine with me; I've long maintained that the best option is to do what so many Realms authors have done: tell a new story.

Go to Top of Page

Bravesteel
Acolyte

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2017 :  00:02:33  Show Profile Send Bravesteel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't care for the movie to be set in Krynn. I always felt that Krynn felt very one-dimensional and one-trick pony-ish. As far as the cartoon movie goes, my friends and I made a game out of counting up all the animation errors, we got up to about 74 or so.

I loved to read and to write, but then something happened. As I made my way through school, I kept getting handed books to read that didn't excite me and didn't even remotely connect to the realities of my life.- R. A. Salvatore

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2017 :  01:55:18  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I heard is was supposed to be set in FR, but whether that means they'll touch on any known canon (people, places, & things) is up in the air. I rather doubt it - the writers will probably just write whatever they feel like (which isn't all that different than what we've been getting for two editions anyway).

Expect lots of dragonborn, tieflings, dark elves, and explosions. Oh, and maybe a plot... if we're lucky.

EDIT:
Crystal Ball Guess: Angsty young woman/teen turns out to be 'the Chosen One' and kicks arse and saves the whole world. Throw in a pair of star-crossed lovers for her (who hate each other) and its pure box-office gold.

The Saurials/Alias story could work well - we even have a cute little halfling girl (we need a 'little person' - they are SO in right now).

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Dec 2017 02:26:50
Go to Top of Page

BadCatMan
Senior Scribe

Australia
401 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2017 :  02:31:33  Show Profile Send BadCatMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've tried to collect all the news and rumour at the wiki (as a way of keeping atop of any flood of information):
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Unnamed_Dungeons_%26_Dragons_movie
Please let me know if I've missed anything.

Having switched from Warner Bros. to Paramount resets everything, so we can't currently say what it's about or who's doing it. However, the fact that Hasbro and its Allspark Pictures are working with Paramount on a bunch of other things suggests D&D came in the same package, so fingers crossed that it's still the same Forgotten Realms–set project as before, and not the Dragonlance proposal (which seems no more than a script looking for a maker).

BadCatMan, B.Sc. (Hons), M.Sc.
Scientific technical editor
Head DM of the Realms of Adventure play-by-post community
Administrator of the Forgotten Realms Wiki
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2017 :  05:20:56  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I look forward to the future 37% Rotten Tomatoes score.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2017 :  18:13:53  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Looks like ia d&d movie could be inching forward ever slowly. Although I love the realms and would love a FR movie.....the Dragonlance Chronicles always seemed to me as a great source for movies.

It also doesn't hurt that one of the guys writing and pushing for it has some star power and could probably be a great Caramon.

I think there are many story lines that would make great movies. For the realms the obvious choice would be Drizzt's story line. The originals were all self-contained and also fed into the other books. This plays well into movie-land. The moonblade books also work well this way... so much would depend on casting there though and tbh I think no one would be an Elaith I would not hate.

Dragonlance requires a series of movies. Which would be wonderful. Or even better, give them a HBO series like GOT. If MTV ruins another book series like Shannara we're all doomed.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2017 :  18:48:16  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Brimstone and I both waited for someone else to do it.

Yup

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2017 :  14:52:26  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Looks like ia d&d movie could be inching forward ever slowly. Although I love the realms and would love a FR movie.....the Dragonlance Chronicles always seemed to me as a great source for movies.

It also doesn't hurt that one of the guys writing and pushing for it has some star power and could probably be a great Caramon.

I think there are many story lines that would make great movies. For the realms the obvious choice would be Drizzt's story line. The originals were all self-contained and also fed into the other books. This plays well into movie-land. The moonblade books also work well this way... so much would depend on casting there though and tbh I think no one would be an Elaith I would not hate.

Dragonlance requires a series of movies. Which would be wonderful. Or even better, give them a HBO series like GOT. If MTV ruins another book series like Shannara we're all doomed.

LOL, so I wasn't the only one who hated that Shannara series.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2017 :  20:12:32  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I honestly don't think they even read the book. They were deviating before they left page 1.
Go to Top of Page

Cyrinishad
Learned Scribe

300 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2017 :  14:17:39  Show Profile Send Cyrinishad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

I still haven't met anyone who liked the MTV-Shannara garbage series.

To know, is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge. -Socrates

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. -Dr. Seuss
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2018 :  18:29:52  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well we may or may not ever get a decent Realms movie, but at least someone is making a hell of an attempt at a quality fantasy fiction movie.

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/sam-raimi-kingkiller-chronicles-lionsgate-and-lin-manuel-miranda-1202678969/

I love the Kingkiller novels, and with a director like Raimi and a creative force like Miranda on board, as well as Lionsgate behind them.....this should be good

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2018 :  20:35:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cyrinishad

quote:

My wife liked them enough to try to read The Elfstones of Shannara. That said, she is neither a geek nor an avid reader.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2018 :  04:58:46  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cyrinishad

quote:

I like it. I never read the books, dont particularly want to. I like the post Apocalypse feeling. The acting is on-par for what I expect a fantasy show to have and they film on location, which I like.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000