Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Bardic Magic - How It Works
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2017 :  13:43:00  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Has Ed or anyone else ever explained how bardic magic works in the Realms? I imagine the teaching of bardic magic as being similar to wizard training, except that the Weave is manipulated in a different way, often involving music or song... but I don't really have any idea.

I've trawled the forums but not turned up anything thus far. Can anyone assist?

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2017 :  19:28:47  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's uniquely sound based, arcane and depends on the Weave. All bard spells need a verbal component, and most of its damaging spells use sonic or thundering damage. I like to think the words and incantations of spells cast by a bard always sound clear and lyrical, and the weave responds by vibrating until the snap of the spells' release. Subsonic vibrations play a large part in their ability to manipulate the emotional state of the living.

Learning you have the potential could be by accident, grooming by elders or (natural) inspiration.

I'd like to think that less civilized bards accidentally learn to manipulate the weave while learning their culture's musical expressions, or during a moment of awe and inspiration. They have difficulty finding enough organisation to allow for the gathering of colleges, so they are largely self taught. They probably don't learn a lot of illusions, but tend to develop emotive spells that scare, calm or enrage.

In more urbane cultures and environments the bardic arts are usually a well paid vocation, so playing an instrument might be encouraged among the young elite at an early age. Mastering the Musical Art requires hours of personal practice, but can be learned rapidly from famous masters at colleges dotted across Faeruns landscapes, if you can impress and pay them enough to get their attention. I would think some of the earliest forms of fandom can be seen among prospective bards, especially for those maestros that inspired them at an impressionable age.

Human bardic colleges are quite prolific in Faerun. The widespread of broadsheet printed bowdy songs has made some Waterdhavian bards very rich, influential and (in)famous. The North already had a well known skaldic culture, the ancient trickster tales full of illusions and clever betrayals are favorites in taverns, where they are probably told in grandiose manner enhanced with illusions. So colleges such as Ollamh, Fochluran, Canaith and Mac-Fuirmidh attract some prospective musical folk from rural areas and nearby cities alike.

In my realms the oldest active colleges are those in Elven capitols and Drow undercities, though gaining acceptance is a terribly long process, but gains acces to the most powerful bardic spells cast on Faerun. The nearly forgotten spellsong traditions of elves reaches into their High Magics and Divine Rituals, where whole choirs used to enhance the weave with song to enable high mages and priests to manipulate even greater spells.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000