Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 New(er) map 'Just for Fun' (+lore!)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2016 :  23:37:16  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
EDIT: New Question - see last post below!

Okay, about a week or so ago I mentioned in another thread that there was 'no good spot' for Returned Abeir in 5e. I needed a place where I could have steamy jungles, and super-tall (frigid) mountain ranges nearby. Everything was either already 'taken', or the geography/climate wasn't quite right.

And then I remembered Halruaa... they blew it up! It would be kinda hard to 'get it back' in 5e, considering how badly they obliterated it in 4e. Hence, this weird, 'Frankensteined' map I made, piecing others together - both official, and a couple of mine. Turns out, Returned Abeir fits EXACTLY in the spot Halruaa used to be! I had to nudge the Channath/Elsir Vale slightly North, but no big. It worked out pretty darned sweet!

I also included the 'Halruaa ruins' in red, which would be buried/whatever. I also think Talathgard would have survived almost unscathed, so that could still be the 'headquarters/capitol' of 'Hidden Halruaa', if you wanted to keep some piece of it for 5e (or you could just keep the whole thing and just ignore this). With only the very slightest of 'nudges', Talathgard fits on Starspire in Abeir! How perfect is that? I nudged the other locales a wee bit as well, some more than others (Chisolmé was a bit of a problem). Only one city fell-out in the water, which is kinda cool. I left-off the lesser settlements.

And the 'Windswept Ports' could be the new 'gateway' to Zakhara! How cool is that? Nothing like recycled lore.

Map of Laeraknd appearing where Halruaa was

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Jan 2017 21:14:44

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2016 :  23:58:19  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's very cool!

For the record though, in official lore as of the SCAG, Halruua is back:
quote:
Once believed destroyed in the conflagration of the Spellplague, Halruaa has largely been restored to the insular, magic-mighty nation it once was. Because of the foresight of their divinations, Halruaan wizards were able to use the raging blue fire that followed Mystra's death to propel their nation safely into the realm of Toril's twin, Abeir (displacing part of that world into the Plane of Shadow).
Now that the events of those times have mostly been undone, the famed Halruaan skyships and waterborne vessels have spread out from their home once again, seeking to establish trading routes and political connections, as well as to learn what has changed of the world in their century of absence.

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2016 :  00:39:53  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That works!

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2016 :  03:14:57  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KanzenAU

That's very cool!

For the record though, in official lore as of the SCAG, Halruua is back:
quote:
Once believed destroyed in the conflagration of the Spellplague, Halruaa has largely been restored to the insular, magic-mighty nation it once was. Because of the foresight of their divinations, Halruaan wizards were able to use the raging blue fire that followed Mystra's death to propel their nation safely into the realm of Toril's twin, Abeir (displacing part of that world into the Plane of Shadow).
Now that the events of those times have mostly been undone, the famed Halruaan skyships and waterborne vessels have spread out from their home once again, seeking to establish trading routes and political connections, as well as to learn what has changed of the world in their century of absence.

Ah well, I didn't really expect them to bring Halruaa back - thats REALLY stretching things...

What about Dambrath? Or Luiren? Losing a big chunk of the Shaar doesn't upset the applecart over-much - we just need a southern coast (and the climate there is ideal).

That leaves me with two other choices, and I wouldn't be very happy with either, but the areas are lore-lite enough for it not to upset too much - Lake of Steam region, or The Golden Waters...

Or I could just turn it sideways and use it as the Utter East... no one but me will miss the Utter East... Hmmmmmm...

EDIT:Thindol might work. Its not perfect, so it can't fit 'as is', but if I just ignore my old RA map and turn Thindol into RA. Aside from the geography itself, I am also looking at two criteria: 1) It has to be close enough to 'the main campaign area' where people will want to use it (otherwise, we may as well park it back over in Maztica), and 2) if it has to obliterate something, make sure its not something that will change Faerūnian history (beyond the localized level, of course).

For example, the Golden Waters region - although one of my favorite 'lesser known' regions - could easily get the 'obliterate and over-write' treatment, and the climate and topography are damn-near perfect. As for 'flavor', it doesn't get much better than there... Dragon Kings? Thats 'the spot' right there. But I'd have to put a huge hole in the middle of the former empire of Imaskar, and thats kind of a big deal, lore-wise. Maybe...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 17 Dec 2016 03:34:08
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2016 :  06:10:31  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks good, excellent work.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2016 :  12:57:27  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd miss the Utter East too MT, but I've always tended to enjoy the regions that never received the attention they deserved.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2016 :  17:07:04  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was doing this as a mental exercise, but I do have rules, even for those, and one of them for this as to 'keep' Returned Abeir, and do so in such a way it will not only be MORE useful than it was in 4e, but also, be something 'doable' in the framework of the Sundering (the 5e 'reset' McGuffin). In others words, I wanted WotC employees to look at it and say, "hhhhmmm... ya know, that ain't half bad...", because I would like the material Ed worked hard on for The Forgotten Realms (the ONLY piece he was allowed to work on in 4e!) to still be in the Realms!

I tried moving it east, but I'd have to lose both Dambrath AND Luiren. So then I resized Halruaa and Dambrath just a tad (not where its noticeable) and not only can I do so without losing Dmabrath, but I can return a good piece of the Western Shaar (Shaareach) to how it was pre-3e, which is great...

Except I STILL lose Luiren, and I also lose most of Estagund (seriously, half the fans out there are probably saying, "Where the hell is Estagund?", so no big). It looks pretty damn cool, though, with the Salt Lake right up against the towering Abeir mounatains. So, how much love IS there for Luiren? Has anyone actually used it in-game?

And carrying this thought-exercise to the next level, what if I made Luiren itself more useful in the process? Or rather, a 'land of halflings' somewhere else, that would be Ed-lore? because you know, The Five Shires would fit PERFECTLY along the Lake of Steam. Hell, I could probably get Karmeikos and Ierendi in there as well (FR is HUGE, and thats really another useless 'dead spot' along the northern coast of the lake of Steam). So long as I am 'saving' Ed-lore thats been cast-adrift due to the changing times, why not save both? And if people still love Luiren so bad, I could work those locales in as well (its no problem - the entirety of the lore is only geography anyway).

What say ye? Is this a wasted effort? I almost feel WotC 'blew it' again, because they restored the Realms to the old way, but did they 'fix it'? There were some stinky spots that could have used a refresher, and they didn't bother. Hell, they could have just said the Halruaans evacuated to Nimbral and people probably would have been satisfied with that (and left the old location available for what I did above).

I wouldn't mind losing Calimshan, and just have Zakhara, but I know most fans would blow a gasket over that one. After all, Drizzt went there in a novel..

Edited by - Markustay on 17 Dec 2016 17:08:46
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2016 :  17:34:32  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
NEW QUESTION:
So where do others feel The Five Shires could possibly go, if one were to have it enter the Realms post-Sundering?

This is not a "should it go into the Realms" question, so no discussion there, please. I found an excellent placement (two actually) on the north shore of the Lake of Steam (its so small I could fit it there twice, with room to spare). My main objective - other than shoe-horning it in - is to make it so that most of the history still works (less important), and to keep the existing Five Shires maps 100% usable (VERY important).

However, I'd prefer it somewhere on the Sea of Fallen Stars itself. Altumbel immediately jumps to mind, but I'd have to mirror it. Same goes for a spot in the upper RH corner of Impiltur. The Moonsea is out - I'm not loving a Halfling nation there (and losing Thar and some of those cities with be a MAJOR lore snafu).

Geographically, the southern cost of The vast/Impiltur is perfect. I mean PERFECT. We even have a mountain range just the right shape, size, and orientation where I need it (and the coast on the correct angle). In fact, it would be a no-brainer except for one thing - I'd have to move/lose three cities. Two don't matter so much (just move them over - no big), but I'd have to lose Lyrabar (and a deep, heart-felt moan is heard somewhere off in distant Australia).

Otherwise, I am talking PERFECT, on all (other) counts - even the 'orc invasions' in the history portion. Come on Impiltur, 'take one for the team'. (and the moan has now turned to a cry of anguish!)

Elsewhere... by doing some fudging on the Faerūn end, I could get it in an empty peninsula in Sembia, I could really Frankenstein Altumbel (might be our best bet, though), and I could even get it on the north shore of two different lakes (though that would really screw with 5S's history) - The Akanamere is an excellent spot, and it could also go along the north shore of Lake Umbar (over near Thay) with some major fudgery. Both of those placements, however, start to cross a line I've drawn for myself - will gamers actually USE IT there?

The southern coast of Aglarond is certainly doable, but that messes with a lot of the history of the region. I'm also leery about putting the Hin so close to a BBG (which is another reason I avoided the Moonsea).

Lastly, we have the 'bottom' of Turmish, which technically isn't Turmish. There's even a canon halfling settlement nearby. Not really on the SoFS, but on the Vilhon Reach, which means it sorta-is. And the spot is geographically ideal, and almost entirely empty and devoid of lore. Its the 'almost' part that makes me hesitant - Hlondeth is there. Not that we have an enormous amount of lore on Hlondeth, or that its a 'major player' in Faerūnian history, but it is very interesting, and I'd rather not 'mess with it' unless there is no other option (which there may not be). I wouldn't lose it, but I might have to nudge it over (and yet, I was a lot less hesitant to do this over in The Vast and Impiltur... go figure).

Or I could just go back to the Lake of Steam, where I had intended to put it... but I feel like I'd be doing something no one would ever use way down there (and I'd have to move at least one city there as well... but who cares, right?) One of the two placements actually has it encroach on Sespech (and now another scribe here is shaking his hoary fist at me and saying, "Though shall not pass!")

So, everyone's thoughts? Not too many people have chimed-in yet in this thread - I'm hoping that just because its the weekend and/or the holiday season. Although these 'fun maps' are just that, for now, they are part of my greater project to re-map the Realms - they will go into another 'non-canon' adaption layer.

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Dec 2016 18:35:43
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2016 :  17:42:15  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ashanath has next to no lore on it. You could have a secret nation there hidden by the tornados and other things designed to keep people away.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2016 :  18:35:08  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had briefly considered that, but tossed it out.

Although the Firward Mnts. would make a decent replacement for the Cruth mountains, and we do have a reasonably close approximation of the coast there, having 'Hin Pirates' on a lake with the Rashemie doesn't sound right. The whole flavor is off. Its also a bit too far north, and doesn't meet one of my criteria - would people actually use it there? I'm just not 'feeling it'.

There are two other possiblities...

The first I had already considered but quickly dismissed; perhaps a bit TOO quickly. On the Dragonmere, just SW of Cormyr. The coast is about right, and I can easily fudge the southern Stormhorns to do what i want. I tossed that idea out, though, because of Cormyr itself - too much history there. How could I possibly explain the complete lack of interaction? Most of the spots I picked we could just turn a blind eye to any oddities, but for that spot, we'd have to go with its a new nation, formed in the past century (which makes no sense, given Cormyr's own expansion during that time period), or say it just appeared there, a'la the Spellplague - we did have a Sundering, after all. I don't really like either of those scenarios. And why wouldn't the Shires just have become part of Cormyr?

But now I'm thinking, why wouldn't the Five Shires just have become part of Cormyr? It could be like a duchy, or a 'march' (protectorate status). It could have just been a collection of halfling villages (they do have a big presence in Sunset Vale) that banded-together post-Spellplague for common protection, and upon seeing that, Cormyr 'annexed' the whole thing as part of its own imperialistic goals... but did so soft-handedly. So it could work LATE 3e on into 4e and especially 5e. But there is still a lot of geography problems - I'd have to really mess with 'the Backlands', which has a lot of lore attached, and I'd also be messing with the crater-like shape of the Tunlands, which I've felt is some sort of 'Easter Egg' of the setting. The only reason why I'm even reconsidering it at this point is that the placement really hits one of my two main criteria right on the head - its so centrally located that EVERYONE could use it there; people who play in both the North and the Heartlands. On the 2e campaign map, it would be almost dead-center. That may be enough 'good' to out-weigh all the bad. MAYBE.

And the other is a new spot I hadn't considered, for the soul reason the shape of the coast wasn't quite right. I've come to realize that thats not really an issue, because of the utter lack of lore on that location... and its ALSO central to the setting!!! On the Dragon Coast, along the Lake of the Long Arm. Plus, the coast isn't nearly as bad as I'd thought, and we have almost ZERO lore about that spot (a couple of locales, never written anywhere). The (5S) history has a couple of snafus, but thats easily remedied, and it could be tied to other nearby, 'halfling regions'. That might be the perfect spot right there - I even have an outlet right to the Inner Sea (the pirate-aspect is sort-of major to the 5S lore)!

Except there's no mountain range, and no easy 'fix' for that. That may be the only downside, though.

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Dec 2016 18:39:20
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2016 :  14:43:41  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I guess everyone here at Candlekeep is only interested in 'canon' material, I take it?

Go to Top of Page

Matrix Sorcica
Seeker

Denmark
89 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2016 :  13:59:07  Show Profile Send Matrix Sorcica a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know I'm not :)
Go to Top of Page

Alexander Clark
Learned Scribe

106 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2016 :  16:54:16  Show Profile Send Alexander Clark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

So I guess everyone here at Candlekeep is only interested in 'canon' material, I take it?

I enjoy reading your threads, but I am still too ignorant of Realms lore to give any advice.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2016 :  17:49:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm interested in that which doesn't violate known canon... Which isn't quite the same as sticking 100% to known canon -- I like playing in the grey areas between the borders defined by canon.

For example: the Realmsified warforged I came up with. We know there are intelligent, free-willed contructs in the Realms. And we know Raumathar played with contructs. Nothing says they animated a squad of constructs with the souls of fallen soldiers -- but nothing says they didn't, and them trying would not violate known lore.

So canon doesn't say they exist, but canon doesn't say they don't or can't exist. It is therefore a grey area, and it's acceptable to me.

In terms of maps, if canon says there are no settlements of any sort betwixt point A and point B, then I'd object to seeing one dropped there. If canon doesn't say anything about settlements betwixt points A and B, or only says something vague like "few live in this area" or says it's sparsely settled, then I have no objection to a village or two being dropped in there. A major metropolis, or mythal-clad ruins, yes, I'd object to -- we know where those are. But Nameless Generic Village #3? Sure, slap it on there.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2016 :  19:18:08  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I was really referring to my last question, which I got almost zero feedback on (luv ya' dazzlerdal ).

But thats okay. I've become so enamored with the idea of sticking the Five Shires in Redwater Dale (and until I started this, I didn't even know there was a 'Redwater Dale') that I'm just going with that. At first I was leery about adding hills/small mountains to the area, and then I found that there were some there, on the Fonstad Atlas maps, that had somehow 'gotten lost' along the way (which means they were on Ed's originals, and I just now checked while typing this, and YES, they were!).

Its really the perfect area for this sort of thing. I know I did one already using the Gulthmere, but that spot wasn't ideal - I had to flip everything upside down. And even though its very close to where I am putting it now (how could I have missed this before? ), this placement is way better in regards to 'usability'. Hell, in 4e/5e its right on the Cormyr border (unless Cormyr pulled back from the Dragon Coast again). Also, I think I must have gotten the scale a bit wrong on that one, since I know I sized this one precisely (to the 3e map), and its smaller than the Gulthmere version (I have a new technique I developed for getting extremely accurate scale-matching).

Hopefully I'll be able to post something soon. I want to get a newer edition of my Shar map done before X-mas, though - another map that was really worth revisiting for me.

Edited by - Markustay on 21 Dec 2016 19:28:47
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2016 :  20:05:32  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well i would have offered more of an opinion but i only know the forgotten realms

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2016 :  20:54:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, I was really referring to my last question, which I got almost zero feedback on (luv ya' dazzlerdal ).

But thats okay. I've become so enamored with the idea of sticking the Five Shires in Redwater Dale (and until I started this, I didn't even know there was a 'Redwater Dale') that I'm just going with that. At first I was leery about adding hills/small mountains to the area, and then I found that there were some there, on the Fonstad Atlas maps, that had somehow 'gotten lost' along the way (which means they were on Ed's originals, and I just now checked while typing this, and YES, they were!).

Its really the perfect area for this sort of thing. I know I did one already using the Gulthmere, but that spot wasn't ideal - I had to flip everything upside down. And even though its very close to where I am putting it now (how could I have missed this before? ), this placement is way better in regards to 'usability'. Hell, in 4e/5e its right on the Cormyr border (unless Cormyr pulled back from the Dragon Coast again). Also, I think I must have gotten the scale a bit wrong on that one, since I know I sized this one precisely (to the 3e map), and its smaller than the Gulthmere version (I have a new technique I developed for getting extremely accurate scale-matching).

Hopefully I'll be able to post something soon. I want to get a newer edition of my Shar map done before X-mas, though - another map that was really worth revisiting for me.

Ed didn't flat out say it, but he really strongly implied he intended to use the Five Shires for Luiren.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2016 :  23:55:50  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And the other is a new spot I hadn't considered, for the soul reason the shape of the coast wasn't quite right. I've come to realize that thats not really an issue, because of the utter lack of lore on that location... and its ALSO central to the setting!!! On the Dragon Coast, along the Lake of the Long Arm. Plus, the coast isn't nearly as bad as I'd thought, and we have almost ZERO lore about that spot (a couple of locales, never written anywhere). The (5S) history has a couple of snafus, but thats easily remedied, and it could be tied to other nearby, 'halfling regions'. That might be the perfect spot right there - I even have an outlet right to the Inner Sea (the pirate-aspect is sort-of major to the 5S lore)!

Except there's no mountain range, and no easy 'fix' for that. That may be the only downside, though.

Great option. If you run the Five Shires north-east to south-west along the Lake of the Long Arm, you have the Giant's Run Mountains close enough to the west to account for your need for mountains. Perfect place in my book and if you grab the history from Five Shires (which I plan to adapt for Luiren in my spare time one day), the Orsraun Mountains to the east give you an endless supply of orcs.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2016 :  01:09:50  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't even think about the Osraun for the Orcs (which is really stupid of me, considering thats where we had them from with my last five Shires conversion). Nice call!

And I didn't change the orientation of the Five Shires, I changed the orientation of the lake of the Long Arm instead. Its not all that off (i used as much of the original as I could), and I think it may even look better this way. Hopefully I can have something presentable in a little while.

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Ed didn't flat out say it, but he really strongly implied he intended to use the Five Shires for Luiren.

I can fit the Five Shires into Luiren 3 times over. Luiren is actually too big, IMHO. Its also very much out-of-the-way, as far as where most DMs are running their games. Thus, although Luiren is most certainly the most obvious choice, its not exactly the best choice.

WE have at least two other 'halfling regions' not that far from where I'm thinking of placing 5S - the Sunset Vale, and the Greenfields. We also have the fallen realm of Meiritin in eastern Amn, and several other regions where there is a significant population of halflings (including the Hin kingdom of Delmyr, in the Endless Wastes... which is actually far closer in size to Five Shires than Luiren is). In fact, now that I am looking into it, nearly every human kingdom has a region that is 'predominantly halfling' (except in Cormyr, where the settlements are spread all over, just as with the human ones). Impiltur has a region like this (4 villages are named, IIRC), and halflings seem to be the predominant group in northern Durpar as well (which makes a lot of sense, given that FR Hin actually originated in Zakhara). In the Dales, they seem to be mixed-in as with Cormyr (there is no 'Hin Dale', sadly).

Anyhow... I've got a nice open, nearly-deserted region with a large body of water connecting directly with the Inner sea, and its centrally located to The Realms, and is just the right size for said treatment. So, YEAH, Luiren might be the 'correct' spot, but Redwater Vale is the 'right' spot.

Edited by - Markustay on 22 Dec 2016 01:15:18
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2016 :  01:58:58  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never quite gotten what "the five shires" is, unless people are meaning the shires from Tolkien fame. I gather its definitely a Halfling homeland, and honestly, if anywhere I'm thinking bordering on Tethyr / Erlkazar would seem the best fit.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2016 :  02:18:36  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

I've never quite gotten what "the five shires" is, unless people are meaning the shires from Tolkien fame. I gather its definitely a Halfling homeland, and honestly, if anywhere I'm thinking bordering on Tethyr / Erlkazar would seem the best fit.

It's a Known World Gazeteer that Ed wrote which he's stated can be tweaked to fit into the Realms.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2016 :  03:31:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As Krash said.

I had emailed Ed and mentioned I thought the book was a good fit for Luiren, and his response was:

quote:
Sure. Superimpose the Luiren cities and government structure, shift places "just a little" to make room for them, and, yes, it works admirably for that. Almost as if someone designed it that way. ;}

As for the book itself, it's not one that's easy to get for a reasonable price, and Ed told me there were some issues with early printings having pages duplicated and others missing.

It took me like two years of watching on eBay before I got a copy, in very good shape, for something like $25.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2016 :  05:39:07  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its one of the few books I have left... sort of.

I had a box - sort of like a briefcase but much fatter - that I got from work years and years ago (they held replacement window samples). I kept all my Mystara stuff in one, and I had my Greyhawk stuff in another. The rest of my stuff was proudly displayed on my big bookshelf right next to my desk.

After the fire, there was almost nothing left of my room... EXCEPt those two boxes. I don't know what they're made of, and they got badly scorched, but they remained intact. In fact, I think the water from the firehoses did more damage (some got inside).

So I have nearly all my Mystara Gazeteers, in various stages of decomposition. Some got badly wet and moldy, like Orcs of Thar, and it was nearly impossible to get the pages back apart intact. Others, like the Five Shires, escaped the brunt of the water, so only have the 'charred edges'. Very rustic, very 'used' looking.

I hold onto to them for much the reasons you just gave - it would very hard to find new copies. The Greyhawk stuff fared much better though - it seems no water got into that one. I should market those damn things - they're like fire-safes.

The Five Shires could fit along the coast of Luiren twice over, and if we add that bit to the west, and the peninsula, like three times. When I checked the SS Luiren map a few hours ago, I noted the best placement would be to the east in Luiren - there's only one settlement over that way, so most of the map could remain intact with little fudging.

I do plan on doing a 'Five Shires in Luiren' conversion as well, when I get to that part on my new series of maps, in a separate layer, for those who want it, but its going to be a LONG time before I revisit the Shining South (although I am reposting a couple of my older maps 'for posterity' very soon, including the SS one, and those will have an updated look, with some corrections on them - nothing spectacular - they were just worth revisiting). Hopefully I'll have the SS one done and posted on my DeviantART page by christmas - it really is a very nice map. The Eastern Heartlands will take a bit longer, because its going to be a 'directors cut' (adding quite a bit more to the original, aside form the artwork update).

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2016 :  15:41:51  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

It's a Known World Gazeteer that Ed wrote which he's stated can be tweaked to fit into the Realms.

-- George Krashos

Gotcha. Looking at a PDF of that. the general shape, coastline, mountains, etc.... it looks like Luiren. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if there were some sizable-but-smaller-than-Luiren shires east of Tethyr along the lake of steam... maybe some near the border kingdoms on the western Shaar.... maybe southwest of Cormyr

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2016 :  18:54:47  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I said above, both the Greenfields (Greenest) and the Sunset Vale are considered 'hin regions', although NOT official halfling nations, or anything even resembling such a political body.

And BTW, 'hin' is usually extended to mean 'halflings and gnomes', as Ed Greenwood himself did in his Dragon Magazine #269 article, Hin Nobody Knows (a great Volo article with a bunch of new locales!). Its basically an FR/Mystara term for 'wee folk' (of the non-Fey variety). They do tend to live together, or at least, in the same regions, as they do in Sunset Vale and Waterdeep.

It comes in handy to be the same size as your neighbors when you want to borrow a leafblower, or whatever.

Edited by - Markustay on 23 Dec 2016 02:09:45
Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2016 :  03:52:48  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't recall the exact orientation of the five shires (I remember seeing the map at one point), but what about east of Starmantle on the northern tip of the coast eliminating some of the Gulthmere Forest there? Straight shot to Sembia and north of Turmish. Would the Five Shires fit there?

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2016 :  05:36:09  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You mean like this?

Thats a conversion I did a few years back, placing it in the Gulthmere Forest. I had to flip it upside down though, to make it work, and that always bothered me. With the newer one I'm doing (nothing fancy, just a quick 'hack' of the 3e map), you'll be able to use all the Five Shires product maps as-is.

Edited by - Markustay on 24 Dec 2016 05:37:13
Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2016 :  06:02:32  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a lovely map, but if you're not flipping upside down then that does pose a problem. I'm going to have to think about that a bit more. As much as I lurk, this is a topic that piques my interest. Most map projects do that.

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2016 :  06:46:43  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, got a little more 'involved' with this then I meant to. I don't want to do a full-blown map project - it was supposed to be a 'quick hack'.

It happens every time I get near Erlkazar... I just can't stand what 3e did to the place...

Hopefully something worth showing tomorrow - got the roads and settlements all in today. Don't want to get too carried way - I have a lot of other maps I want to get back to.

Its just that it fit SO GOOD.

Sadly, it means the last 5Shires conversion I did was all for naught. Hopefully Dalor will be able to re-use a lot of the lore we came up with with this one (and if not, he can just stick to the other one - both work).

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2017 :  18:23:11  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, here goes - my latest abomination: Five Shires along The Lake of the Long Arm conversion. This started out as a lark I was playing with around Christmas and I just kept going.

For conversion notes in regards to using it in The Realms, see Dalor Darden's most excellent thread on the subject. Even though its in a different spot, its close enough where most of it still works (the 'ebil dwarves' were Duergar from under the Osraun Mounatins, and the Orcs came from The Black Spires (Obrekh range). Notes concerning the map itself are on the deviantART page. For 'canon' info on the Five Shires locales (and history), refer to that product by Ed Greenwood (I understand he is somewhat familiar with The Realms as well).

Other:
Ripplestones is canon, from an EG novel, but it probably isn't placed correctly here. It is in the general area, though, so it may as well be. I needed a 'ferry depot' thorp there, so basically its almost an extension of Rollstone Keep now, which has also seen tremendous growth and is now a Large Town (assume that it will eventually include Ripplestones as it grows across the river, and it will be a city at that point). There is now major sea traffic along that channel/river (which strangely never had a name... must correct that in the future), so a ferry was needed to continue the road there.

Marl is from the conversion Dalor Darden (and I) did, and takes the place of 'Mar' on the Five Shires (Mystara) maps. In this iteration it is a gnome town (with some halflings and dwarves), that has gone from a small mining operation into a place where illicit goods can be smuggled into and out of Shireton (via Crookshil), so its growing... slowly. Still mostly a sleepy little mining village, though.

Crookshil is exactly what it sounds like - a place where the 'seedier' elements of the hinfolk hang out. Originally called 'Crookshank' (until I realized that was Hermione's cat's name), its rumored to have a thief's school hidden somewhere. A lot of contraband (untaxed items) passes through Crookshil, and the place is officially 'frowned upon' by the Five Shires government (but still tolerated, because the hin are a tolerant lot).

Haegel's Crossing exists because it seemed kind of odd to me for a road that is so important to southern-running traffic (land traffic to the Vilhon Reach and Erlkazar regions) that there wouldn't be anything there where it met the Trader's Road. Originally, just an Inn stood on this spot, some hundred years ago, and then craftsmen, as well as others, began to see a need for their services and settled around the place. It changed hands several times, until the last owner bought it some 22 summers back.

That man was Garlack Ogrebiter, self-styled mercenary (but really thug-for-hire) who happen to have a windfall that enabled him to buy the place from the previous owner, who was growing quite old and had no family to take it over. He and his wife (and later daughter) ran the place for a few years... and most folk think he runs it still. The truth is, a doppleganger killed Garlack and took his place 17 years ago. Originally working as an operative for The Unseen (and still reports to them, albeit begrudgingly), his plan was to keep on eye on all the lucrative trade that ran along the Trader's Road, between the Sword Coast, Westgate, Cormyr, and parts south, and report back to 'his masters'. He intended to have the other two family members have 'an accident', knowing full well he couldn't fool them indefinitely... but a strange thing began to occur. Whenever he got something he should have known wrong - like remember an old acquaintance - the wife (and later daughter) began 'covering' for him, explaining how he had hit his head and his mind was a bit 'jumbled' these days. Intrigued as to why they would do this, he eventually approached the wife and told her he knew she knew, and wanted to know why she hadn't 'outed' him. She explained that she knew it wasn't her husband because, although in public people thought him a friendly host and decent fellow, the truth was that Garlack was a drunkard who beat his wife and even his child regularly (a child of only three at that point!) She knew something had changed, but she couldn't put her finger on what. She made-up the story about him hitting his head to their daughter, and the two of them just went with that all the time (the daughter didn't learn the truth until years later). She also confessed to him at this time that she was pregnant with his child, which caught him off-guard.

So the new 'Garlack' made a deal with her, and continued to live as her husband and raise 'their' daughter... and one thing lead to another and they had two more children of their own. The doppleganger has fallen in love with his new life, and his family, and doesn't really want to be associated with the Unseen anymore, but he has to keep up his front as their operative so that they do not kill all of them and take their places (his reports include very little useful information - just barely enough to appease his bosses). His two hybrid children are 13 (girl) and 16 (boy), who are considered Changelings (see Eberron rules). It was because of the son's accidental transformation at an early age that the first daughter - the wholly human one - first found out about her 'fathers' true nature (she had gone through a period of self-evaluation for several months after this, but slowly came back from her melancholy). She has just turned 21, and has begun to take-on some leadership roles within the settlement (the inn, also named Haegel's Crossing, has always stood-in as a 'town hall' when the need arose).

And thus it stands today (5e). The son is beginning to get a bit 'antsy', hearing tavern-talk of amazing adventures to be had in far-off lands. His father cautions him against such thoughts, however, for he is afraid what will happen if he (and all of them) were ever found out. Its just a matter of time before the son tries to slip away in the night with one group of adventurers or another.

Edited by - Markustay on 11 Jan 2017 03:20:30
Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2017 :  03:06:49  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is a most excellent writeup, and an amazing map! Sure, it "wasn't supposed to happen," but the maps you make sing from the page. They are of utmost quality and you can fit things in where I would have doubted anything could fit. I would happily add this to "my 'Realms" which is very Canon lite for reasons just like this. The work is excellent.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000