Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Ancient Faerunian Maps?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2017 :  09:39:29  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Are there any ancient Faerunian maps kicking around that people would be willing to share? I'm particularly interested in maps of Faerun during the crown wars, but I'd also be interested in a map circa the height of Netheril, and a map circa the height, and then the fall of Myth Drannor.

If anything like that already exists, it would be much appreciated!

Sylrae's Forgotten Realms Fan-Lore Index, with public commenting access to make for easier improvement (WIP)

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2017 :  09:45:45  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
only maps from that period might be in lost empires of faerun or the grand histry of the realms

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11716 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2017 :  12:20:38  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For unofficial stuff, try the stuff Snowblood / Phasai made http://phasai.deviantart.com/gallery/

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2017 :  12:31:46  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only maps of the past in the published sources are from the Ol' Grey Box, the Anauroch sourcebook, Grand History of the Realms and Lost Empires of Faerun

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11716 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2017 :  13:34:32  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

The only maps of the past in the published sources are from the Ol' Grey Box, the Anauroch sourcebook, Grand History of the Realms and Lost Empires of Faerun

-- George Krashos

And Netheril: (whatever the text was after the title)

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11716 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2017 :  13:36:03  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and the Horde Boxed set did show how certain cultures moved (as pertains to Raumathar, etc...). I wouldn't call it a great map though.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2017 :  13:47:29  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is definitely a map of Golden Age Netheril out there, but I forget which source - I think Lost Empires.

There was also a Sword Coast /Moonshaes map circa -11,000 DR from a Moonshaes article I think around the time 4e came out, not sure if it's still available though...

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

Asharak
Learned Scribe

France
268 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2017 :  17:43:35  Show Profile Send Asharak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Netheril : Empire of Magic have maps during the height of its power and at the time of its fall.

"Soyez réalistes : demandez l'impossible"

Sorry for my English... it's not my native tongue.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2017 :  18:24:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
None of which is accurate, BTW.

The coasts have changed a great deal, just in the past few centuries (read some of the entries in PftF and PftM), and many of the rivers have been diverted, lakes/seas have been created or have greatly increased in size (at least two of which from meteor {'tears'} strikes, at least one large body of water was obliterated, EVERY desert (outside of Maztica/Anchoromé) didn't exist in the past, etc, etc, etc...

And yet every single 'historic' map shows everything in the same place... imagine that. Except for forests - I guess they figured so long as they make the forests bigger its all good {sigh}.

And then there all those coastal cities that just up and walked to the new coast some 25-50 miles away in 4e...

Some day I'll do the set of historic maps I've always dreamed of - ones that include every description from every source. Right after hell freezes over and pigs fly..

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 13 Jan 2017 18:26:19
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2017 :  19:12:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

And then there all those coastal cities that just up and walked to the new coast some 25-50 miles away in 4e...

A coastline that somehow appeared pretty much identical to the pre-4E maps, despite the drastic change in sea levels...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2017 :  20:01:29  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

A coastline that somehow appeared pretty much identical to the pre-4E maps, despite the drastic change in sea levels...

"Its magic"

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2017 :  20:56:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

"Its magic"

Just like magic is the only possible explanation for how the sea level fell like 350 feet in the middle of the Sea of Fallen Stars, but only like 80 or 90 feet where the Sharksbane Wall was.

I also loved how there was no apparent effect on trade or weather from having a large chunk of the Sea suddenly cut off from the rest.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6354 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2017 :  22:07:13  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That sounds like a rant to me.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2017 :  00:22:29  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, no, no Dazzler... you misunderstand.

Wooly and I are just espousing the genuinely amazing magical nature of the Realms themselves - its truly remarkable.

As an aside, I've been going back through PftF (and eventually PftM) finding every single geographic reference I can (and those books are LOADED with them), and it really is getting me in the mood to eventually do historic versions of my new maps, when they are finished. there are entire (small) kingdoms now buried beneath the waves, just off the Sword Coast.

I had done this years ago, with my physical copies of the books, but those notes are all long gone. On the upside, doing it with the digital copies makes it easier to take the notes (since I'm already sitting right in front of the computer).

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11716 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2017 :  01:36:37  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

"Its magic"

Just like magic is the only possible explanation for how the sea level fell like 350 feet in the middle of the Sea of Fallen Stars, but only like 80 or 90 feet where the Sharksbane Wall was.

I also loved how there was no apparent effect on trade or weather from having a large chunk of the Sea suddenly cut off from the rest.

Actually it ROSE near the sharksbane wall didn't it. There's a huge divot in where the wizard's reach is.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2017 :  04:03:41  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, and Candlekeep also ended-up 'off the coast', supposedly because of the sea-level rise.

Even though it is in a completely unconnected sea.

But Ao finally came down off that dose of magic mushrooms he ate, and now the realms are back to normal... for the most part.

Thats why I am enjoying mapping again - there is something sensible TO map.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2017 :  05:13:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

Actually it ROSE near the sharksbane wall didn't it. There's a huge divot in where the wizard's reach is.

Originally, the Sharksbane Wall was entirely underwater, with like 30 feet of open water over it. In 4E, the top of the Wall was 10 feet above water.

So, other than that one gap in the wall, one part of the Sea was entirely cut off from the other part, with no apparent effect on trade, and there was similarly no effect from the currents and migration patterns that would have been disrupted by this.

I think they did give a sentence about ships coming up to the Wall and transferring cargo to ships on the other side, but that requires coordination, a lot of work, at least rudimentary docking facilities, and means that ships on one side either had to have cargo or money to trade for what ships on the other side had.

Even perfectly planned, that still would have slowed trade down and affected prices of goods.

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2017 :  05:26:42  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hte cartographers were about as reliable as teh unreliable narrator....

snickers.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000