Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2017, 2018 and 2019)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2017 :  03:59:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by tmcvicar2

Yeah, I don't know what happened when I posted that bunch pf questions, it seemed to go somewhere but didn't show up on the board.

You started a new topic in an area that doesn't allow people to start new topics. So it was floating there, in unmoderated status, until it could be approved or denied by a moderator.

You're not the first to have done that.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2017 :  18:27:27  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, everyone. I've FINALLY managed to sneak a chance to break radio silence (something very difficult to arrange at my current posting) to say to all scribes: neither Ed nor I have forgotten you!
My lengthy silence is inescapable and work-related, and so is Ed's; looking after his wife and his day job and now his new TEGG publishing venture are taking more and more of his time...and thanks to continuing behind-the-scenes Realms work (oh, yes, the Realms is far from dead) he has some spanking NEW NDAs that trammel what he can talk about here or anywhere.
Yet he has NOT forgotten you, and is receiving the ever-lengthening lists of your queries...and will get to them when he can. He is CRAZY busy right now, however, trying to get novels done so he can co-write some AdvLeague adventures for Gamehole with Gamehole founder and head honcho Alex Kammer (set in the Realms), and some other Gamehole adventures set in Gamehole's own fantasy setting. George, he tells me he's still trying to get data off dead Macs to get you that "gno" lore, but so far it's (still) not looking good.
Expect a few short lore replies from him, relayed by me, in this thread as he can get to them (I think they'll largely be outstanding from last year, to start with).
And if you've somehow missed it, Ed's doing Realms e-lore at DM's Guild; thus far, a Mirt tale entitled "All Things Through The Bright Flames" (fiction plus game write-ups of characters, spells, and items that appear in the story). Next up, I'm told, a dungeon crawl "5e starter" adventure tied to the story.
The Realms lives!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2017 :  21:44:30  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message
(Pushes everyone else out of the way) Welcome back!

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2017 :  01:48:53  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message
Welcome back indeed!

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2438 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2017 :  02:20:51  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message
Good to see you back (although is probable that you don't know me... (?))

I have a question, for Ed, THO, or to someone who can answer me.

Is Old Snarl still alive by the time 5e takes place? If so, how did he fared the Spellplague?

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 09 Feb 2017 02:42:04
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2017 :  04:40:22  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message
He certainly is. Check out Storm King's Thunder.

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2438 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2017 :  09:02:33  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message
Thanks. Klauth became one of my favorites when I read the Wyrms of the North articles.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6349 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2017 :  20:37:10  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message
I'm just glad to hear Ed is still going.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

blaek
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2017 :  20:51:35  Show Profile Send blaek a Private Message
I'm looking for a list of Lorebooks* from the published FR books, does such a list exist? I can't find anything on google so I thought I should try asking here.

Thanks

*to clarify, I mean books of lore mentioned/referenced by characters within the forgotten realms
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2017 :  21:06:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by blaek

I'm looking for a list of Lorebooks* from the published FR books, does such a list exist? I can't find anything on google so I thought I should try asking here.

Thanks

*to clarify, I mean books of lore mentioned/referenced by characters within the forgotten realms

Are you referring to something like Krash's Book List for Tomes in Candlekeep?

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3281 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2017 :  21:37:32  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
quote:
"Why I Ride Men and Not Thrones" 2 1354 Her Royal Highness Princess Alusair Nacacia Obarskyr of Cormyr
That sounds like some light reading...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 23 Feb 2017 21:38:09
Go to Top of Page

blaek
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2017 :  21:38:43  Show Profile Send blaek a Private Message
Yes, I think this is exactly what I was looking for, thank you!

I'm not a reader, and I've just started the 5e Starter Set -- I'll be DMing. One of my players picked the Scholar's Pack which comes with a "book of lore" and I asked him what he imagined the subject of it was... I want to give him an actual book of lore from the Forgotten Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Gorim
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2017 :  20:47:15  Show Profile Send Gorim a Private Message
Hello! I spent hours using the search engine, looking for any "duergar" "Laduguer" "Duerra" matches, but failed to find an answer to my question. What is the current status of the duergar gods? Is Laduguer / Duerra alive? Did they return "on their own", or how did it happen? Sorry if this is wrong place to ask.
Go to Top of Page

Rivenhelm
Acolyte

32 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2017 :  23:42:41  Show Profile Send Rivenhelm a Private Message
Hello All!

A Map Query or Five:

I was thumbing through Ed Greenwood Presents Elminster's Forgotten Realms -- a fine example, of what I hope will be a trend in future books, of Ed's early realms with all the hand-typed notes and hand-drawn maps (We finally got that missing sigil from the Beast-Tamers adventure!) they are simply gold -- on the map on page 9 there are two things I noticed and had questions on.

First, there's been some controversy on the boards on "where exactly is the Flaming Tower?" An old Polyhedron even stated that it was six miles north of Shadowdale. Most maps place it in the vicinity of the Border Forest. Well I'm here to put another log on that fire. In looking at that hand drawn map I've just noticed a curved line below the word "tower" which crosses the river and ends in what could be seen as an "arrow" pointing to a triangle (used to denote a point of interest) at the northeastern-most tip of the woods west of Voonlar. Ed, could this be the actual location of the Flaming Tower??

Secondly, in the Vale of Lost Voices due west of Essembra there is some writing that is too small to translate at the size the map was printed at in the book. There seems to be another triangle and the words "peak?? <something> <something>". Could you clarify? Also, in the Gray Box it says Durkin's castle was built "over a thousand years ago" by the elves. What was its elven name?

Lastly, while we are on maps. There is something that I noticed for the first time in a thousand viewing of the Suzail map in the Gray Box. There is a small stream feeding Lake Azoun going through(?) one of the wall towers. Some maps, I've noticed now, have that tower cut off so that's probably why it escaped notice for so long. So, what's the name of that rivulet and where's its source?? While we're on maps, it's always nagged at me on how the bottom of the Myth Drannor map cut off the southwest portion of the city, especially since there's all that "empty" forest to the north. It never seemed "centered" on the page. Even later editions cut it off at the same point. In the Ruins of Myth Drannor Box Set it says that the Street of Song eventually turns into the road to Sembia. Is that the Lost Trail pictured in the Fonstad Atlas? On page 109 of Fonstad it shows the Lost Trail as following the river exiting Tilver's Dam. And while I'm on the subject of maps & Myth Drannor. The Year of the Tusk map in the Gray Box shows a prominent trail going west to a spot at the Ashaba. FR13 Anauroch's breakout map has a settlement at that spot, Ashabemar. What can you say of Ashabemar, that trail, and does that trail go through Toadstool Gap (and what is the significance of Toadstool Gap)??

Sorry I think that was more than five questions. I hope I didn't have a limit. Glad to see THO back!! I know full well the calling of "real life" and hope that it allows her to show her glowing beauty to us all in the immediate future!! Thanks THO and Ed for your tireless work and love of the Realms. It has enriched us all!!

Yours,
Rich....
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2017 :  07:47:22  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Jibbers Crabst, the past weeks of depression and anxiety were unnecessary. THO is alive and well, and I might have known it three weeks ago if I logged in more often!

Can I infer from "radio silence" and "ever-lengthening" that you are able to read us even when you're not writing here? Or are you suffering withdrawals as well, from our scintillating repartee?

You are missed.

<3
Go to Top of Page

blaek
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2017 :  21:24:45  Show Profile Send blaek a Private Message
Does Elminster have an insignia, or symbol, or... signature? Or something that can identify him other than his name?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6635 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2017 :  23:08:17  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by blaek

Does Elminster have an insignia, or symbol, or... signature? Or something that can identify him other than his name?

His mage's sigil. An internet search will get you an image in a jiffy.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

blaek
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2017 :  23:27:54  Show Profile Send blaek a Private Message
The only icon I've found is the crescent with a circle over it, and there's only like.. one image of this. Is Elminster's sigil?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2017 :  03:17:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Pretty much, yes. It's been variously imaged through the long years, but the general shape and imagery you've described is largely it. And I'm thinking it's probably the yellow image taken from the 3e Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Rivenhelm
Acolyte

32 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2017 :  07:08:10  Show Profile Send Rivenhelm a Private Message
Hi Blaek

If you have access to the Cyclopedia of the Realms (from the Gray Box) El's sigil is pictured on p.59 along with some other notable and less notable personages. Some lesser known sigils also appear in Ed Greenwood Presents Elminster's Forgotten Realms p.182 if you are interested in such things.

Which leads me to, of course, a question. On p.79 of Code of the Harpers there is an illustration of a female Harper leaning on a rampart with, what appear to be, sigils occupying the upper and right portion of the illio. One definitely looks like a bird in flight, another looks like a EKG readout (or stlylized "VW"). Are these actual Mage or Harper-Mage sigils? And, of course, if they are whom do they belong to? Sorry if this has been answered previously.

Thanks All!
R....
Go to Top of Page

Sunderstone
Learned Scribe

104 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2017 :  21:20:19  Show Profile Send Sunderstone a Private Message
To Ed and THO,

Does Ed still play, develop lore, or think about characters and events in the pre-spellplague era Realms?

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2017 :  21:27:48  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Sunderstone

To Ed and THO,

Does Ed still play, develop lore, or think about characters and events in the pre-spellplague era Realms?

Thanks!

Not THO, but as far as I know, Ed's Realms didn't even get to the ToT, so--if he still has time to run FR--I guess the answer is yes.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2017 :  22:48:34  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
Hey Ed. I have a question about elven nobles that I'm hoping you (or perhaps some of the other lore lords here like Steven Schend) can answer: what did they do to earn money?

I'm hoping for some ideas on what elven nobles of both the gold/silver ages and the later Cormanthor/Myth Drannor era did to keep their coffers full. Clearly from the descriptions of elven revels and nobles in general in El in Myth Drannor, there's a lot of wealth flowing around. What did elves do to create it?

Somewhat linked, how did elves of all eras go about mining? All the smithcraft going on requires plenty of metals, both iron and things more exotic. But I've never read about elven mines, nor does is seem a very "elven" thing to do. And for much of elven civilization the dwarves weren't even in Faerun, let alone available as trading partners (and we all know that the dwarves and elves often have issues).

Can you shed some light on these subjects? Many thanks, as always.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2438 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2017 :  07:23:45  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message
Hi, dear Ed and THO.

I have a question for Ed, or for anyone who can answer. I know Amn and Baldur's Gate* were the only countries that had a presence in Maztica. Yet, reading the FRCG and the Tarmalune article, I don't see they had a presence in Laerakond, and I find this odd. Instead, we have Waterdavian and Neverwintan presence in Tarmalune, and even Luskani presence in the Dusk Ports.

I can get why there weren't Faerunian colonies in Laerakond (there was a proper civilization there, with countries and all), but I find odd that a country like Amn would let pass such an opportunity to trade exotic goods with a civilization from another world (and, if Laerakond was returned to Abeir -no pun intended- with the Second Sundering, such goods will became even more expensive due to their rarity).

So, my question is: Is there a reason why Baldur's Gate and Amm didn't traded with the Abeirans? I can imagine an answer on my own —the Abeirans weren't defenseless nor ignorant about the worth of their stuff (while the Maztican were like our prehispanic peoples in that regard: they believed worthless crystals were as valuable as gold), but I like to know if there is a more interesting canon reason for this.

Thanks in advance.

*Baldur's Gate is not a proper country, but you get my idea here.

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 10 Mar 2017 07:28:17
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2017 :  04:53:39  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

My lengthy silence is inescapable and work-related

Well, hopefully no new unwanted bodily piercings this time. As Bakra once said,
quote:
Lady Hood please don't forget, Concelment is not Cover!

On to Everlovin' Ed:

Who is Thentias Margaster (yes, I know who he is, but a bit more description if you would) and why is he called "Lord of Lords."

And who in Waterdeep actually calls him that?

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2017 :  16:42:39  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

Where are the fault lines across faerun and why aren't there more earthquakes in inhabited regions? How does an earthquake spell actually impact the earth area afterwards if at all?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2371 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2017 :  18:46:59  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message
Hello, Ed and The Hooded One!

According to the earlier lore, Sulasspryn was undermined (without anyone noticing) and collapsed by the drow on a vendetta, who for some reason chose to show their displeasure and make a point in the way so hard and expensive it would stand out even for the followers of Kiaransalee, rather than something simpler and more traditional, like assassinating the "Drowbane" clan one by one with some particularly unpleasant poisons.

According to "The Vellurith, Part One", the place was gradually turned into an umbrella hanging over a cup of purple worm lemonade - which makes a lot more sense.

However, this opens other questions: if the drow apparently spied upon and later claimed the place, and all this (except the rumor-mongering) was done below the ground - and never mind the sneaky beholder, but it involved a bunch of the duergar - they probably would have noticed something. So how did these drow react? What did they know and do about these events?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Hoihe
Acolyte

Hungary
8 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2017 :  00:10:26  Show Profile Send Hoihe a Private Message
Hello Ed and the Hooded one!

I've a pair of questions regarding elves. If relevant, before Time of Troubles is the date.

First question:
Can thiramins exist between elves of the same gender?

Second question:
If there's a human, who through much effort and work to please the Seldarine was reincarnated into an elf (while retaining memories, but had their level reset to 1 as sacrifice from early epics), will they be able to enter Evermeet? Again, the time is before time of troubles, so Retreat is high!
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2017 :  04:02:45  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
I'm not Ed and his answer will obviously be better, but I can't see Evermeet or the elves being aware of a visitor's "previous life" at first glance.

If the human were merely polymorphed or magic jarred into an elf, they might probably encounter hostility. But once reincarnated, the individual *is* an elf.

However... reincarnation does not grant cultural familiarity. An elf who acts like a human will draw attention like a beating heart in a crypt. Once enough offended elves complain, an "in charge" elven priest or wizard would investigate and probably soon discover the truth. And it seems to me that elves, particularly gold elves but all of them really, would prefer to eject (if not vaporize) the "aberration."

As long as the "hey-now-you're-an-elf" can keep his mouth shut, avoid bumping into anyone, and wear suitable elven clothing and scents, to avoid drawing attention, he/she could be fine. Any mistake, though, could be fatal for the "imposter" and all companions.

Just my two coppers.
Go to Top of Page

Hoihe
Acolyte

Hungary
8 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2017 :  15:10:19  Show Profile Send Hoihe a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

I'm not Ed and his answer will obviously be better, but I can't see Evermeet or the elves being aware of a visitor's "previous life" at first glance.

If the human were merely polymorphed or magic jarred into an elf, they might probably encounter hostility. But once reincarnated, the individual *is* an elf.

However... reincarnation does not grant cultural familiarity. An elf who acts like a human will draw attention like a beating heart in a crypt. Once enough offended elves complain, an "in charge" elven priest or wizard would investigate and probably soon discover the truth. And it seems to me that elves, particularly gold elves but all of them really, would prefer to eject (if not vaporize) the "aberration."

As long as the "hey-now-you're-an-elf" can keep his mouth shut, avoid bumping into anyone, and wear suitable elven clothing and scents, to avoid drawing attention, he/she could be fine. Any mistake, though, could be fatal for the "imposter" and all companions.

Just my two coppers.

Said new-elf is obsessed with being a proper elf, tempered with chaotic good morals! Should work easy-enough.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000