Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Mages And Sages Podcast
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

JEThetford
Acolyte

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2019 :  22:18:33  Show Profile  Visit JEThetford's Homepage Send JEThetford a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met fellow Realmsians!

We are calling on all those with queries to post them here so that we can better tally them and get them to the Old Mage for each podcast!

We also take suggestions for topics and guests!

The only good Drow, is a dead Drow.

Aaomas Balkrim, Drow Hunter

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2019 :  02:27:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An inquiry for Ed: In a major city of the Realms, like Waterdeep, where there is gold to waste and magic for it to be wasted on, what are the cosmetic applications of magic? Magic hairdos/coloring? Magic formalwear? Magic facelifts/tummy tucks/boob jobs? How is this regarded by others?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

JEThetford
Acolyte

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2019 :  03:02:47  Show Profile  Visit JEThetford's Homepage Send JEThetford a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

An inquiry for Ed: In a major city of the Realms, like Waterdeep, where there is gold to waste and magic for it to be wasted on, what are the cosmetic applications of magic? Magic hairdos/coloring? Magic formalwear? Magic facelifts/tummy tucks/boob jobs? How is this regarded by others?

Perfect! Asking in a few minutes!

Go to Top of Page

deserk
Learned Scribe

Norway
237 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2019 :  20:26:58  Show Profile Send deserk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My question for any. I'm quite fond of the Moonsea as a setting and one thing I wonder about concerns the village of Elmwood. It seems a bit defenceless on paper despite for how relatively old the settlement is. It isn't particularly hidden and easy place to come to, as far as I can tell, as it lies directly on the coasts between the powerful city-states of Hillsfar and Mulmaster. It is protected by it's ex-adventurer dwarven constable, but that is still just one single person. It is mentioned in the sourcebooks that there is little of worth in the village, which is why outsiders aren't that keen on bothering the village. But that seems to be a bit strange logic to me, since there are *people* there and in certain parts of the Realms sentient beings are a valuable commodity. So what would stop rough and unsavoury types (which the Moonsea is surely teeming with) looking for easy prey and easy coin, from attacking the village and selling it's people off in chains? Also, if not the criminal element, what is to stop powerful cities like Hillsfar and Mulmaster from laying some sort of claim over the city? Demanding some sort of tax for in exchange it's "protection"? Have there perhaps been any incidents like this before in Elmwood's history? And does it perhaps have some protectors that haven't been mentioned in the books, or some strategy for averting such crises?

Edited by - deserk on 04 May 2019 20:38:04
Go to Top of Page

JEThetford
Acolyte

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2019 :  04:09:52  Show Profile  Visit JEThetford's Homepage Send JEThetford a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deserk

My question for any. I'm quite fond of the Moonsea as a setting and one thing I wonder about concerns the village of Elmwood. It seems a bit defenceless on paper despite for how relatively old the settlement is. It isn't particularly hidden and easy place to come to, as far as I can tell, as it lies directly on the coasts between the powerful city-states of Hillsfar and Mulmaster. It is protected by it's ex-adventurer dwarven constable, but that is still just one single person. It is mentioned in the sourcebooks that there is little of worth in the village, which is why outsiders aren't that keen on bothering the village. But that seems to be a bit strange logic to me, since there are *people* there and in certain parts of the Realms sentient beings are a valuable commodity. So what would stop rough and unsavoury types (which the Moonsea is surely teeming with) looking for easy prey and easy coin, from attacking the village and selling it's people off in chains? Also, if not the criminal element, what is to stop powerful cities like Hillsfar and Mulmaster from laying some sort of claim over the city? Demanding some sort of tax for in exchange it's "protection"? Have there perhaps been any incidents like this before in Elmwood's history? And does it perhaps have some protectors that haven't been mentioned in the books, or some strategy for averting such crises?

Great question! I will make sure we get them asked on our next podcast with the guys!

Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2438 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2019 :  19:58:25  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a petition. Can you put subtitles in the videos? Even if in English, but it can help a lot to the non-English speakers.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2019 :  05:12:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

I have a petition. Can you put subtitles in the videos? Even if in English, but it can help a lot to the non-English speakers.

I'd love a full-on transcript, myself, because I find it easier to read such things than to watch (or just listen to) a video. But I do understand that such would be a task and a half, by itself.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11681 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2019 :  22:53:02  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Magic boob jobs are probably thoroughly "regarded" by the male population, to the point that one can watch heads move to follow them. Just sayin'

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2019 :  01:40:10  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just starting a listen of Episode 10 of the podcasts. I'd like to pass along public thanks to youtube user "Eltargrim7" for the timestamps in the comments, thats exactly what I was agitating for earlier in Eric's thread.

And thanks again to Ed and George and Eric, and the Mages&Sages crew for doing these chats!

AJA
YAFRP

Edited by - AJA on 14 May 2019 01:40:46
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2019 :  08:33:36  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some questions for all our Sages on dwarven Brotherhoods and Cults as briefly outlined in Dwarves deep:
- is there any past or present, famous or infamous, Cult or Brotherhood that was left out of Dwarves Deep?
- is the cult of the Living Axe made up of scattered cells or is there some overarching (albeit loose) power structure? Did any sentient weapon or object try to unite them towards some nefarious purpose in the past (or is trying to in the 1370s)?
- can you share more details on the Holy Hammer like important regional agents, plots they might be working at and their relations with the well established dwarven holds of Toril?
- how is the recent (re)surgence of dwarven wielders of the Art seen in dwarven society? Are they shunned or held in particular regard? Did they slowly form brotherhoods and schools (and were they allowed or forbidden to do so)?
Go to Top of Page

deserk
Learned Scribe

Norway
237 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2019 :  22:09:06  Show Profile Send deserk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just got to add one other, if I may. There is very scarce information on the city of Guallidurth other than the fact that it is one of the most oldest and populous drow cities in the world, it seems to have had pretty significant influence on lands surrounding it, notably such as Calimshan above (having fought many wars against them as well against surface drow heretic communities in the Forest of Mir). Is there more tangible lore that could be shared about this ancient city? Such as it's most powerful houses, noteworthy sites/establishments or factions within it? Given how old and powerful it is, are there any interesting and distinct qualities that make it stand out compared to i.e. Menzoberranazan? Are there strange and archaic customs and beliefs they perhaps have compared to the Drow cities of the far north?

Edited by - deserk on 15 May 2019 22:10:48
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2064 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2019 :  22:22:25  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deserk

Just got to add one other, if I may. There is very scarce information on the city of Guallidurth other than the fact that it is one of the most oldest and populous drow cities in the world, it seems to have had pretty significant influence on lands surrounding it, notably such as Calimshan above (having fought many wars against them as well against surface drow heretic communities in the Forest of Mir). Is there more tangible lore that could be shared about this ancient city? Such as it's most powerful houses, noteworthy sites/establishments or factions within it? Given how old and powerful it is, are there any interesting and distinct qualities that make it stand out compared to i.e. Menzoberranazan? Are there strange and archaic customs and beliefs they perhaps have compared to the Drow cities of the far north?

Do you have Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark? There's a brief description on page 113, and a lot of tangential references in the neighboring city write-ups.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6635 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2019 :  22:53:20  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think there’a a bit more info in the “Empires of the Shining Sea” and “Calimport” sources too.

— George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

JEThetford
Acolyte

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2019 :  23:44:51  Show Profile  Visit JEThetford's Homepage Send JEThetford a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You can turn on subtitles when you watch. I will make sure they are on on my end, but I think you have to turn them on when you watch.

Go to Top of Page

JEThetford
Acolyte

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2019 :  23:46:04  Show Profile  Visit JEThetford's Homepage Send JEThetford a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I'd love a full-on transcript, myself, because I find it easier to read such things than to watch (or just listen to) a video. But I do understand that such would be a task and a half, by itself.

Unfortunately, there are not enough days even in the Forgotten Realms week for me to be able to do such a thing. If anyone want's to take up that mantle and charge with it, I will give them credits on the podcast!

Go to Top of Page

deserk
Learned Scribe

Norway
237 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2019 :  14:15:03  Show Profile Send deserk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

Do you have Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark? There's a brief description on page 113, and a lot of tangential references in the neighboring city write-ups.

I have actually, though it's been a while since I've looked at the book. It is wonderful to look at it again, as it has a lot of lore the 3.5 Underdark book doesn't have. But in regards to Guallidurth specifically, there isn't that much difference to what is told of the city compared to the 3rd edition book, except a few more details. Sorry, perhaps it wasn't right to use the word "scarce". But even so it would be a welcome thing to hear more, if there is more. A city like Guallidurth I feel should deserve more detail, as it may possibly be the most powerful drow city in the Realms, perhaps the closest thing to a drow empire? With it's vast population, vast number of great houses and it's history of war against it's neighbours and surface realms above, and thusly a vast sphere of influence. What would be great knowing is which figures and factions are the biggest players in the city, as well as unique sites within the city, and what other ways might make it stand on it's own.

Edited by - deserk on 20 May 2019 14:22:03
Go to Top of Page

paintphob
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2019 :  04:02:30  Show Profile Send paintphob a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have been reading a few of the older supplements again in preparation for a new game. This question is going way back to FR1 and FR3.
In FR1, Waterdeep and the North, chapter 9 Adventures in Waterdeep, the fourth adventure "The Kiss of the Goddess", states that the Sultan of Volothamp is the the archmage Nairith Irizar.
FR3, Empire of the Sands, lists the vizier of Volothamp as Ramslett N'door, the son of a Chult trader. Checking FR3, I can't even find a reference to the word Sultan anywhere in the text.

The only thought I had was that Nairith Irizar was the leader of the city in FR1, and in between the events in FR1 and FR3 he was "removed" by certain forces and replaced with Ramslett N'door. The only problem with this being that both supplements appear to take place in approximately the same time.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2019 :  04:34:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paintphob

I have been reading a few of the older supplements again in preparation for a new game. This question is going way back to FR1 and FR3.
In FR1, Waterdeep and the North, chapter 9 Adventures in Waterdeep, the fourth adventure "The Kiss of the Goddess", states that the Sultan of Volothamp is the the archmage Nairith Irizar.
FR3, Empire of the Sands, lists the vizier of Volothamp as Ramslett N'door, the son of a Chult trader. Checking FR3, I can't even find a reference to the word Sultan anywhere in the text.

The only thought I had was that Nairith Irizar was the leader of the city in FR1, and in between the events in FR1 and FR3 he was "removed" by certain forces and replaced with Ramslett N'door. The only problem with this being that both supplements appear to take place in approximately the same time.

A vizier is usually an advisor or a ranking official under a ruler. So both of these sources could be correct -- Nairith Irizar is the ruler, and Ramslett N'door an official or advisor under him.

Go to Top of Page

Elren_Wolfsbane
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2019 :  18:39:27  Show Profile Send Elren_Wolfsbane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've watched several of the videos, and I really like them.
It would be neat if they did everything and anything realms related. Maybe even a Jorphdan collaboration

Aa' lasser en`coialle n`natula brown.

(May the leaves of your life tree never turn brown)

-Elren Wolfsbane
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2019 :  20:57:16  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Was the War of Gold and Gloom ever addressed? I thought I remember something about the death of Laduguer being seen as him and Moradin going at it and getting the animosity (some of it anyways) out of their system and now they don't hate each other as much? Can't seem to find that episode. Anyone remember please? Thank you :)
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6635 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2019 :  07:31:42  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Episode 13 of the Mages and Sages podcast has now been uploaded. Check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki5xgQxekcA&frags=pl%2Cwn

It features a ton of information from Ed Greenwood on Tharsult. For ease of reference, here it is in text form:

Tharsult, known as the Isle of Spices, is a great trading-center wherein much of the bulk goods—and coins—involved in trading around the Shining Sea, and Sword Coast naval trading as far north as Mintarn and Waterdeep, change hands. Tharsult functions as "tolerant neutral ground" for merchants trading in slaves, drugs, and just about everything else. Once a lizardfolk realm (later conquered by seafaring humans), it's long been known as 'the' place where merchant trade flourishes in the Shining Sea, kept free of piracy (along with all surrounding waters within sight of it) by the pirates themselves—because the pirates needed access to all mainland goods, not just what they could seize from ships, and so supported and fostered this 'safe haven for all.'

Tharsult is adjacent to the undersea aquatic elven realm of Aumrauth (with which Tharsultan traders covertly trade for undersea delicacies, in various local coves by night), and is a rocky and heavily-forested island [[think real-world northern Italy or Tuscany]] that's been left natural on its cliffs-rising-steeply-from-the-sea western side and its shoal-rocks-girded southeastern shore (that's of course where any surviving ruins can be found).

The rest of Tharsult has been almost entirely built over, in steep terraces of stucco-faced stone homes that abound in flat rooftop gardens, balconies, and small turrets. These walled-garden homes and tall warehouses cluster around stone-and-sarth [crabgrass] streets that rise (usually in spiral-like routes) from the many harbors, notably those in the three largest and busiest coves that lie side-by-side on its northern shore: Aunthurr, Chastal, and Zoana. These moorings and their settlements share place-names, as does the largest harbor of Tharsult's southern coast, Tunumbar. Smaller coves often have "map names" and different names used by local mariners, which allows Tharsultans to discuss smuggling and covert landings and meetings in front of "outlanders" who may well mistake which coves are being discussed. Of old, Tharsult had quite a reputation for smuggling (thanks to ships dashing from various Shining Sea ports to the island to trade cargoes with pirates and other ships before naval vessels could catch up to and board them), and such activities were aided by many sea-caves that honeycomb the coasts of the Isle of Spices. Curious visitors are warned that most of these caves are now in regular use as docks and warehouses merchants who dwell above them and keep watch over them.

All of the four largest harbors are home to large and capable shipyards, which repair vessels and build many new ones. Tharsultan crafters also produce sails, wire, fine chain, metal fastenings. The Isle of Spices is also home to many accomplished forgers and counterfeiters, often outlaws who fled from authorities in various mainland realms, who produce many "false coins" indistinguishable from real currencies. Tharsult's nickname is derived from its hosting of one of the largest spice markets known in Faerûn.

Several vintners bring shiploads of 'raw' wine to Tharsult for blending and fortifying (into the oily, salty 'blackwine,' sherries and liqueurs, and the emerald-hued sintavvin, which is a mint-flavored, palate-cleansing drink favored by few, but used in large feasts in Calimshan and around the Shining Sea to "clear the tongue" between dishes of strong but clashing flavors).

Almost anything can be bought, sold, or traded in Tharsult, where wealth is king. Nominally ruled by a merchant Council established centuries ago to put an end to thieving gangs and piracy by such prominent rich merchant families as the once-famous Starth family (a human clan of fabled wealth, now possibly extinct; see EEE #79), it's now policed by Belters: clergy of Waukeen of the lowest ranks (usually ambitious and attentive priests seeking to 'prove themselves'), who lead small patrols of highly-paid mercenary warriors around the island to primarily do three things: keep order, stopping violence and property crimes such as theft, scuttlings of ships, arson and vandalism; maintain fairness of trade, stopping bribery, cheating, coercion, and secret deals (defined as any arrangement that affects wider market prices and conditions but is kept secret from other traders—such as price-fixing, arrangements of scarcities, and favorable prices to insiders; note that these are legal if declared openly); and prevent gang operations of all kinds, from secret trade-deals (such as price-fixing, arrangements of scarcities, and favorable prices to insiders—whether secret or openly declared, these are illegal when they involve more than two merchants and firms wholly owned by those two merchants) among cabals, to battles between mercantile organizations. Kidnapping on Tharsult is automatically considered "gang operations," and no Tharsultan can be sold into slavery or traded as a slave. In short, if merchants avoid thievery, overt violence, and unfair dealing, they can very much do as they please. In particular, free speech is upheld: on Tharsult, folk can with impunity talk openly of arranging killings, civil wars, coups, and illicit acts on the mainland and against priesthoods.

The name 'Belter' comes from the distinctive belts (adorned with a row of three hand-sized, diamond-shaped plates of metal, which is the unofficial badge of Tharsult, sometimes seen in the form of banners displaying three copper-hued diamonds on a crimson field), and the Belters all report to 'Tables' (trios of experienced Tharsultans of good character, usually retired successful merchants), who in turn report to the Council.

It's well known that the Council pays Belters very well, and pays undercover spies to watch the Belters (and any merchants who seem interesting) even better. Treachery against the Council (by those working for it) is typically punished by chopping off a hand for the first offense, and either slavery or death for a second. Typical punishments for those who habitually break laws is to be beaten by some Belters, and fined (increasingly) heavily. Exile is usually the ultimate punishment, although death awaits those who poison others.

The Council is said to have fourteen 'open' members and another seven 'hidden' members who travel frequently around Tharsult observing conditions and intrigues, and making recommendations to their fellows. The Council votes to establish policy, sometimes in public but more often in secret meetings, and Tharsultans widely believe that the Council is controlled by sinister 'Hidden Ones' who are either powerful archmages, horrific monsters, or cabals of mainland rulers or pirates, depending on which local legend one believes.

Carved statuettes (seldom taller than the length of a man's forearm) were used as local currency in past centuries, and are still honored on Tharsult, but most visiting traders prefer to use trade-bars, coins, and gems. Pelts (used for the making of fur garments by Tharsultan crafters and by workers in realms that trade with shippers who call at Tharsultan docks) are also locally valued highly enough—and at fairly stable prices—to serve as widely accepted 'barter-currency' on the island.

Languages abound on Tharsult, but Common is understood by all, and inhabitants are so interbred that there's no longer any norm of skin hue, eye or hair color, or even human pureblood appearance. As a result, tolerance for a very wide variety of personal appearance, dress, and customs is high and widespread. Many Tharsultans are fabulously wealthy; locally, pursuing one's own dreams and remaining true to one's own principles among the many, many intrigues and schemes is what's valued most highly.

Among Tharsultans born and bred, popular male given names include:
Blaend, Corth, Darman, Endur, Feloedarr, Haumian, Jarth, Omthur, Paerzar, Rolamm, Turth, and Vornan
Popular female first names: Alace, Belarla, Coril, Duthna, Evauntra, Faelra, Glaryse, Niune, Olarra, Yantha, and Zelope
Popular surnames: Corlaunt, Draethe, Kuulaum, Mauntmeth, Norrlun, Ontrimm, Qhaunz, Raraedur, Urrstaunt, and Welve

First-time visitors to Tharsult will be struck by its wealth, crowded conditions, ceaseless deal-making and mercantile chatter, and its exotic [[think real-world Hollywood images of harems]] dancing girls (displayed in many taverns and inns by slavers looking to make on-the-spot sales). Tharsult's also famous for being 'the' place to buy stolen ships, trade-charts of anywhere in the world (usually very reliable, if fragmentary), bottled scents, and treasure-maps (notoriously fanciful).

Recent rumor: A reclusive mage of Tharsult who’s been magically augmenting and breeding creatures (lizardfolk? source of the ‘super gargoyle’?) is slain by his creations, which run amok, stowing away aboard ships and causing general mayhem in the Isle of Spices, which serves most Sword Coast shipping as a ‘neutral ground’ supply, refitting, and trading base. Of course, the mage had apprentices, and some of them are missing—along with some of the augmented creatures. Searches don’t uncover these ‘vanished’ beings, or any of the mage’s magic...except a large network of gates opening as doors from a round room atop the mage’s tower (and leading all sorts of places in the Realms). Various power groups desiring to control these gates as a swift cargo-trading/message-conveying network fight to possess them, hiring adventurers and more adventurers as the struggle rages on...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2019 :  00:33:58  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Thanks for the heads up, George! I wasn't aware that Ep.12 had been uploaded yet, let alone 13 (I know, check the Facebook page, but a "heads-up" here also – as you've done – would be useful as well)

And that Tharsult lore is indeed awesome, but I do believe you've missed the best part;
quote:
Originally pod-casted by Ed Greenwood
"....it has an arrangement with certain elves to defend it with their SPELLJAMMING SHIPS if need be...."

....Someone call Wooly.

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

muir
Acolyte

Canada
41 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2019 :  03:43:46  Show Profile Send muir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One can subscribe to the channel via YouTube, I believe. That is how I receive notification of updates.

Many thanks for the update, George! From some place that had not crossed my radar much before (what with there being much Realmslore for me to catch up with) Tharsult is now on the list of places that I want my PCs to visit. They are currently accompanying a delegation from Daztanar down to Durpar to seek a replacement caliph after the Horde rode through, and consist of a merchant-adventurer and his companions, so, such is a possibility.

These forums have turned up much other useful information on the islands.

On the topic of upcoming guests, Episode 13 mentions the next ones featured are Brian Cortijo and Erik Scott de Bie, followed by Steven Schend. I find Steven's Realmslore the hardest to grasp, but the rewarding, as my mind follows down so many trails of what if.

A question, which may have already been covered, as I am working my way backwards through the podcast:

For anyone: How do you keep the various versions of the Realms (your home campaign, mid-14th century, late 14th century, late 15th century) straight when answering questions about life in the Realms?

Edited by - muir on 10 Jun 2019 16:24:32
Go to Top of Page

JEThetford
Acolyte

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2019 :  09:29:37  Show Profile  Visit JEThetford's Homepage Send JEThetford a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Met fellow Realmsians! The next author for our podcast will be Erik Scott de Bie on June 21st followed by Brian Cortijo on July 5th. Please send us your questions for these Sages of the Realms so we may put them before them!

Go to Top of Page

muir
Acolyte

Canada
41 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2019 :  05:38:59  Show Profile Send muir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope multiple questions are allowed.

Something I hope Brian can weigh in on, given his The Sorcerer and the Weave

Leaving aside edition-specific rules quirks, is there anything which sorcery, or intuitive Weave manipulation, accomplishes better or more easily than wizardry? Conversely, are there feats of Weave work which wizardry can do more easily?

How much variance is there in spellcasting technique across the Realms? Ie, how much difference is there in how a wizard from Calimshan, Cormyr, Thay, or Durpar would approach casting the same spell?

I apologize if this is covered in extant work. Does the crafting of wands and minor magical items form part of the regular duties of certain Wizards of War?
Go to Top of Page

Elren_Wolfsbane
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2019 :  12:02:56  Show Profile Send Elren_Wolfsbane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I keep hearing them talk about the facebook group, and I can't seem to find it anywhere. Can someone help me out. Thanks

Aa' lasser en`coialle n`natula brown.

(May the leaves of your life tree never turn brown)

-Elren Wolfsbane
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6635 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2019 :  13:57:58  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The podcast runs out of the Fans of Ed Greenwood Facebook page. There is also a dedicated YouTube channel.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

JEThetford
Acolyte

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2019 :  00:44:44  Show Profile  Visit JEThetford's Homepage Send JEThetford a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elren_Wolfsbane

I keep hearing them talk about the facebook group, and I can't seem to find it anywhere. Can someone help me out. Thanks

Fans of Ed Greenwood

https://www.facebook.com/TheEdVerse/

Mages and Sages on You Tube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAHDaW5vHsjUi8KYuacj4fA?view_as=subscriber

Edited by - JEThetford on 01 Jul 2019 00:45:54
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2019 :  20:14:44  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there a podcast feed for this? My podcast addict app couldn’t find it in a search.

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2019 :  00:48:41  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wenin

Is there a podcast feed for this? My podcast addict app couldn’t find it in a search.
Right now, the episodes are uploaded to YouTube only. I need to twist Jeff's arm to see if he can get it in the appropriate podcast repositories.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2019 :  20:53:28  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello,

I have some Cormyr related questions:

1. What can be said about Tempest Valley?
2. Or the Warm Waterfall?
3. How did the Banites pull off constructing Temple Acheron without Cormyr giving them the boot?
4. *Puts on Captain Crazy Tinfoil Hat* Given Thauglor's tinkering with the Weave, how his death may have been on purpose, and how certain dragon's have the ability to work with the Weave akin to Chosen of Mystra, did Thauglor pull an Elminster body-snatching (like in El Enraged) and now lives on? Such as in say the body of Forgrimmorithal, AKA "Shift"? :)

5. Ed, in your novel Silverfall, the drow city Telnarquel, the Hidden City. One of the drow/elven translations I came up with was Tel = Lore, Nar = Stone, Quel (part of que'ellar = House). So, Telnarquel - Lore Stone House? Do drow use Tel'kiira or a variant? Where was this abandoned city located? Any history available on it?

Hope this wasn't too many questions. Thank you! :)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000