Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Can someone please explain driders to me?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2016 :  06:00:58  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout
Oh yes, Rose of Sarifal...that is the only FR book I have ever gotten rid of. That wasn't even canon.

Yeah, me too. I generally re-read my FR novels lots of times, but Rose of Sarifal was the exception.

I'm writing a story (ok, fanfic ) set in the Moonshaes in the current FR time, completely ignoring what happened in Rose of Sarifal & pretending it never happened.....
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2016 :  06:05:43  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope they turn out to be enjoyable to you, at least. If you want some context about what is inaccurate, aside from misandrism being essentially normal, and how their idea redemption is often portrayed--especially at the end (which I've already said), there's this (spoilers, highlight to read if you don't mind them):

At the end of the books, a ritual cast by a mage follower of Eilistraee lifts Corellon's curse from her followers after she is killed, and forces them to stop being drow and become brown skinned elves. Then two angels come and claim that this is what Eilistraee's about. The problem is that 1)that's never been what she's about, and 2)Eilistraee's followers were *forced* to change. They didn't get to choose and were forced to give up the body that they were born with, what they were, an important part of their identity--because in the eyes of the Seldarine it was corrupt and they couldn't access to another paradise (even tho it was irrelevant, as they already had access to Eilistraee's realm). For a goddess that believes in accepting people for what they are, and that tries to never artifically alter or force the choices of her people, that makes no sense. Eilistraee stands for acceptance, and embracing and enjoying all that is beautiful in life, and helping others enjoy it too. She wants the drow to flourish and to rediscover all that they have lost, not to hold themselves guilty and seeking to ''atone'' and change what they are. As I've said, "redemption" isn't even directly mentioned in her lore, and the uncursing as a goal never appears anywhere (and I'm not pulling this out of my bottom, you can easily check this in books like Demihuman Deities or The Drow of the Underdark, some of it even emerges in Elaine Cunningham's representation of them).

On top of that, at the end the angels servants of Corellon that come to take the soul of a character say that it was all for good, because now that they are no longer drow, Eilistraee's followers can be with the Seldarine in Arvandor, and can live with the elves. It's just wrong, and it obviously heavily clashes with what this goddess is about. It implies that the drow, no matter what they do, need to physically change themselves in order to be accepted by the Seldarine and the elves. So you have this, the drow who died in the Underdark (becoming a brown elf in the middle of the Underdark is bound to get you killed), and the fact that reversing the curse gave them absolutely nothing.

Not only that, but with what happenes at the end, Eilistraee also effectively abandons the vast majority of the drow, who are described (not by her, thankfully), as "unwilling and to be cast down", and as a "necessary sacrifice", which again goes against all that she stands for, and is something that she'd never do.

In order to basically change the skin color of just hundreds of drow and allow them into another paradise (and as I said they already had a paradise in Eilistraee's realm), the vast majority of the drow has to be deemed unwilling and condemned. And this is stated to be a worthy trade, a victory, and the goal of Eilistraee. The goal of the goddess who chose to renounce to a life of comfort in Arvandor to follow her people and be there for them in the time of need. The goddess who chose to be one of them, and to share their fate just to offer them a new hope, when basically everyone else (except her brother) didn't care and/or shunned them. The goddess that acts as a mother and sings to the *whole* race, no matter how dark their soul is, because she can always find beauty within them. That has never given up on fighting for her people, despite her power being little and her being unsupported.

Finally, as I've said, just know that the transformed drow have been fully ignored by WotC since then (not even a word has been said about them)--which kinda makes sense, since their number is far lower than the total number of Eilistraee's followers, and since many of the died--and that Eilistraee, Vhaeraun and all the Dark Seldarine have been revived with the Sundering--as drow deities, with mostly drow followers, and have personally appeared to mortals--so essentially very little changes for your OotA game. Perhaps this recap: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Seldarine#The_Second_Sundering can be of help, if you're interested).

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 25 Nov 2016 06:17:39
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2016 :  13:26:30  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenN

quote:
Oh yes, Rose of Sarifal...that is the only FR book I have ever gotten rid of. That wasn't even canon.

Yeah, me too. I generally re-read my FR novels lots of times, but Rose of Sarifal was the exception.

I'm writing a story (ok, fanfic ) set in the Moonshaes in the current FR time, completely ignoring what happened in Rose of Sarifal & pretending it never happened.....

I think it's a safe bet that the events of RoS didn't happen. It's not considered canon.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2016 :  15:38:38  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm really confused about driders as well. The thing about a giant spider with a drow head makes sense for one of Lolth's aspects, but then this quote from Hero has me scratching my head:

And the drow woman became a giant drider then, just for a moment, just so that the other witnesses would understand the truth and be afraid.

Uh... what? Why? Why would she do that?
Why would she take on the form reserved for blasphemers? To demonstrate to the onlookers what awaits them if they defy her? But the text of it implies that it was more to erase any doubt in their minds than anything else. What's going on here? Is she debasing herself by taking on that form, and is it something that Lolth, an unpredictable goddess, sure, but fundamentally a very proud one, would do? Is this something that we should just shrug off because it'd be too much of a pain to justify otherwise? But then what's the truth to driders? :(

Edited by - sno4wy on 25 Nov 2016 15:50:07
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2016 :  16:44:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We could just 'shrug it off', but I'd rather explain it away, even if the explanation is a bit wishy-washy.

So lets break it down - you said "...an unpredictable goddess, sure, but fundamentally a very proud one...". The first part - unpredicatability, has been an emphasis from time to time in stories about her, including her 'relationship' with Drizzt; even her priestesses are unsure of whether he is hated, or a favorite of hers. She is not just unpredictable - she is one of the 'Queens of Chaos'. She sows discord to make her people stronger.

And then there is the vanity part. YES, she is very vain - thats a great big piece of her back-story. So lets see, what would a very vain elven goddess prefer to appear as - a bloated, elf-headed demonic spider, or a beautiful woman's torso atop a spider's body? The first one represents her 'cursed' form - one she was forced into by the seldarine. The second one is one of her choosing, and represents what she is all about - part amazing beauty, part deadly predator... one who spins webs and traps the weak (which ultimately leads to her 'prey' - her OWN PEOPLE - to be stronger through survival). She is a duality - lovely and deadly, heavenly and monstrous. THAT form better represents what she IS at a primal level.

But then why is being a Drider a punishment? Because she isn't taking a Drider form - thats an over-simplification. Driders are hideous, not beautiful. They just don't have the lower halves of spiders, they have arachnid-like facial features as well (at least, in older editions they did - perhaps newer editions have lost this, which is rather important). What she appears as is a 'tauric' creature, both powerful and majestic, whereas her 'failures' have lost all their beauty, and have become debased, ugly things, living in the shadow of drow societies.

Now, I don't know enough about 4e and 5e Drow lore to say why any of this has changed (if it even has), but it could just be 'evolution'. Its the strongest 'magic' in the universe (even our real one ). What if all driders were in fact male. They were not really 'sterile', they just didn't reproduce because their were no females (and no drow - or any other - female was going to procreate with them in that hideous form). So what if Lolth in her fickleness, or some other deity, or some natural/magical mishap (Faerzress explosion/whatever), or even some sort of 'work' the driders themselves did ('forced' breeding, or a magical experiment, or some ritual preformed to some 'dark lord', etc, etc) has now given some groups of them females to breed with? They don't even all have to have the same explanation - all explanations might be true (one group managed it, and other heard about it, and followed their own plan to achieve similar results). That means that we could possibly have the ugly, spider-like drider females, and also more attractive (?) tauric types, like Lolth herself (which may have happened naturally - the spider-visage was 'watered-down' by breeding programs, etc).

As I said, I don't know enough about 4e/5e to know if any of that actually works, but its the best I got, off-the-cuff.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

I used to really like drow, back in Greyhawk. They were 'ebil elves', like I felt they should be, without any of the (more realistic) 'baggage' of having their own personalities and agendas. FR changed all that, and made them 'real'. When I came over to The Realms I didn't like them; I don't like Drizzt (yet I've read all the books about him). I did like Liriel. I would have never had feelings either way back in GH - they just didn't have enough personality for me to develop any sort of feelings for them - they were just 'monsters'. But now that they have these 'quirks', and their goddess is the quirkiest of all (and probably at least a little bit insane), I'd rather spin 'discrepancies' on their individual uniqueness, rather then just 'bad writing' (whatever the actual case may be). I am still not crazy about them, but at least now I AM thinking about them - about what makes them 'tick'. That alone makes me a better storyteller/DM.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 25 Nov 2016 16:51:15
Go to Top of Page

Korginard
Learned Scribe

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2016 :  16:56:43  Show Profile  Visit Korginard's Homepage Send Korginard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a perfect representation of the whole Drider paradox. If she hates her form, why show it? If she can appear in any form she chooses, why not always use one that is pleasing to her?
The simple answer is that it showed everyone present that this WAS Lolth.
The symbolism could also be seen as a threat. Do as the goddess wills or this form will be yours. That is a big part of the fear that Drow have for her. She is a vengeful capricious Goddess and the threat of punishment always hangs over them. It's beyond just doing what she tells you to, the Drow actualy fear that she may punish them for not doing it correctly, or even simply on a whim.
Another possibility is that showing her cursed form is part of her curse. What good would it do to curse her with deformity if she could choose to appear in any form she chooses?
It seems to me her appearance is more useful as a threat and a reminder. It could also be a test for the Drow, to see if any dare to allow her to see disgust or loathing in thier expressions. Such a blunder would surely spell doom, and this is an example of the kind of iron will and control that all Drow must have over themselves in order to survive in their society.
One of the most interesting things about the Drow and Lolth is the amount of order and control the Goddess and Drow society force upon them. She is a Goddess of Chaos, and yet the Drow must practice absolute control over themselves in order to survive in the society she has created for them.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2016 :  17:34:53  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sno4wy

I'm really confused about driders as well. The thing about a giant spider with a drow head makes sense for one of Lolth's aspects, but then this quote from Hero has me scratching my head:

And the drow woman became a giant drider then, just for a moment, just so that the other witnesses would understand the truth and be afraid.

Uh... what? Why? Why would she do that?
Why would she take on the form reserved for blasphemers? To demonstrate to the onlookers what awaits them if they defy her? But the text of it implies that it was more to erase any doubt in their minds than anything else. What's going on here? Is she debasing herself by taking on that form, and is it something that Lolth, an unpredictable goddess, sure, but fundamentally a very proud one, would do? Is this something that we should just shrug off because it'd be too much of a pain to justify otherwise? But then what's the truth to driders? :(

I guess that she was merely trying to prove to the onlookers that she was actually Lolth, but I agree that she would have been more likely to choose one of her avatar forms, namely the giant black widow. It would have been a symbol of her power and all that the drow worship (since in Menzo the life of a spider is worth more than that of a drow). About her "drow head, spider body" form, she almost never appears like that, except in her home plane (which is why many think that it is her actual form, inflicted on her by Corellon).

That said, maybe by appearing as a drider she was trying to remind the drow that she still is their owner (as others have pointed out), and what happens to all her followers who don't bend to any and all her whims. It may be due to the fact that (spoilers):from what I've understood, the drow in Menzo were growing rather unrestful for her taste.

Edited by - Irennan on 25 Nov 2016 23:15:41
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2016 :  17:40:20  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Korginard

This is a perfect representation of the whole Drider paradox. If she hates her form, why show it? If she can appear in any form she chooses, why not always use one that is pleasing to her?
The simple answer is that it showed everyone present that this WAS Lolth.
The symbolism could also be seen as a threat. Do as the goddess wills or this form will be yours. That is a big part of the fear that Drow have for her. She is a vengeful capricious Goddess and the threat of punishment always hangs over them. It's beyond just doing what she tells you to, the Drow actualy fear that she may punish them for not doing it correctly, or even simply on a whim.
Another possibility is that showing her cursed form is part of her curse. What good would it do to curse her with deformity if she could choose to appear in any form she chooses?
It seems to me her appearance is more useful as a threat and a reminder. It could also be a test for the Drow, to see if any dare to allow her to see disgust or loathing in thier expressions. Such a blunder would surely spell doom, and this is an example of the kind of iron will and control that all Drow must have over themselves in order to survive in their society.
One of the most interesting things about the Drow and Lolth is the amount of order and control the Goddess and Drow society force upon them. She is a Goddess of Chaos, and yet the Drow must practice absolute control over themselves in order to survive in the society she has created for them.

I agree on the threat part, but if she had wanted to prove that this WAS Lolth, her actual cursed form is that of a drow head on a spider body, not that of a drider. I honestly think that any form associated with her would have made for a good indication that it was her. She tends to appear in her giant black widow form, when she wants to see fear and respect, tho. She does that too during one of the "festivities" celebrated in Menzo.

But because of that, I'm inclined to believe that you have it right about that particular manifestation being a threat.

Edited by - Irennan on 26 Nov 2016 06:07:40
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2388 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2016 :  05:19:39  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

Perhaps the "holier than thou" attitude was mostly on Cavatina's side, but the hypocrisy/misandrism, and the original sin-like redemption are major themes, which are more than enough to demolish a huge part of what Eilistraee stands for, for the reasons that I've already explained

No one said they are all fluffy. Most of them are converts from below, some because they were "seduced" to it in the dreams, some had problem with the Way of Lolth or local implementation thereof, either way have a lot of baggage. And are even jumpier than they were below ground.
If they come across as messed up... I guess, that's the idea. In Ed's own depictions of that dancing club led personally by Qilué, she comes across as less of a leader or teacher and more of a warden in madhouse.
quote:
(or the attitude of demanding that people convert to Eilistraee before healing/helping them, which--alongside many other things--I really don't know where Lisa Smedman pulled out of).

"It's okay to just say `thin air,` Captain." (c) Schlock Mercenary
quote:

The problem is that 1)that's never been what she's about

The problems with LP are far too many and too large to summarize in one message. We already had most of that thread dealing with this mess, remember? IMHO there's no point to let this recurring argument spread over everything.
It's easier to just pronounce this equine long dead and bury it at last. There isn't much clue to be had from it either way.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2016 :  05:32:03  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:

Perhaps the "holier than thou" attitude was mostly on Cavatina's side, but the hypocrisy/misandrism, and the original sin-like redemption are major themes, which are more than enough to demolish a huge part of what Eilistraee stands for, for the reasons that I've already explained

No one said they are all fluffy. Most of them are converts from below, some because they were "seduced" to it in the dreams, some had problem with the Way of Lolth or local implementation thereof, either way have a lot of baggage. And are even jumpier than they were below ground.
If they come across as messed up... I guess, that's the idea. In Ed's own depictions of that dancing club led personally by Qilué, she comes across as less of a leader or teacher and more of a warden in madhouse.

True, and I wasn't implying that they should be all fluffy, and never complained about the fact that they can be jumpy--it is understandable, they're always exposed to danger (especially when they are interrupted by strangers in the middle of a sacred dance). As I've said, I was talking about misandrism in Smedman's depiction of them (including males being excluded by the rituals, or being susceptible to being mutilated just for watching), dictation of faith, and a warped idea of redemption that don't belong to Eilistraee.

I get that many of them are converts from below with a heavy baggage, and I think that it's totally reasonable that some groups show those traits (even half/half). But you can't have those traits to be the norm, else they become Lolth-lite. That said, in millennia of existence of the followers of Eilistraee, a lot of them would also be born surfacers. A variety of attitudes, with priestesses trying to uphold all Eilistraee's teachings (also showing that different communities have different traditions) would have gone a long way in making their portrayal feel closer to what we read in their lore, and even what came before in novels. However, we get a lot of Cavatina, and the others still display those traits.

Edited by - Irennan on 26 Nov 2016 06:20:51
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2388 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2016 :  14:34:20  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As I've said, I was talking about misandrism in Smedman's depiction of them (including males being excluded by the rituals, or being susceptible to being mutilated just for watching), dictation of faith, and a warped idea of redemption that don't belong to Eilistraee.
I get that many of them are converts from below with a heavy baggage,

And then more baggage falls down there from thin air. Ahem.
quote:
and I think that it's totally reasonable that some groups show those traits (even half/half).

Yup, "it depends" is the default answer.
Ah, found it: Ed's answer (here). More about that and followers of Eilistraee and Vhaeraun (here).

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2016 :  15:14:01  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder
Yup, "it depends" is the default answer.
Ah, found it: Ed's answer (here). More about that and followers of Eilistraee and Vhaeraun (here).

Yes, exactly. And even in that answer we see that:

1)Misandrism doesn't belong to their communities (although there are priestesses who can prove very harsh--but never to the point of violence and sabotaging--to males who aspire to become clerics).

2)Males do take part in all the dances and rituals, except the longer and more passionate dances (unless they choose to take the changedance).
quote:
Specific in-ritual roles of “unchanged” males include dancing, singing, having spells cast ON THEM as part of rituals, taking part in collective spellcastings led by female clergy, intoning prayers in unison and responsively with other devout of Eilistraee, and in the tending of fires, braziers, drawn barriers, vestments and tools handed to or taken from, and used by, female worshippers, and so on. Nothing stops anyone, of any race or gender, praying to Eilistraee, including dancing and singing prayers - - and NO clergy of the Dark Maiden would frown on a male exhibiting such behaviour except when they thought it was being done to deliberately disrupt a larger ritual. Many males who worship the Dark Dancer find a moonlit wooded place, pray to Eilistraee to notice and smile upon them, and then disrobe and dance as they sing a deeper prayer (of thanks, and for guidance).

Which is a confirmation of what we read in printed sources. So males are not excluded, neither by the clergy, nor by Eilistraee herself (in their solitary rituals, the Dark Dancer ''smiles'' and can manifest her presence to them (through moonfire, just to name an example), exactly like she does with females. The Evensong--which Smedman confuses with the Circle of Song/Dance--is a personal moment in which the drow connect with the goddess herself--and is also celebrated by males). The only part where males (used to, before the 1490s) to not have a definite place is the clergy, and even then Ed tried to explain it

quote:
One cannot truly feel the Divine Dance of Eilistraee PROPERLY except as a female, and so her (still very rare, few, and generally secretive about it) male priests must spend some time as a female (not just for the duration of a ritual, but they must do some everyday living as a female). The most accomplished drow, elf, half-elf, and human male priests seem to feel the need to take female form for some days every few years or so (if they wish to “cleave more fully to the Goddess” and thus rise in levels), and most spend longer and longer times in female form

I guess that this is largely because of Ed picturing Eilistraee as a mother goddess, with a hint of deity of fertility thrown in (he said this in the ''Ask Ed'' thread from 2006, IIRC)--in fact male priests seem to ''feel the need'' to change form in order to more deeply connect with Eilistraee.

3)Aside from the clergy, males and females tend to take the same roles of warrior/scout/expert/worker (females too would fit in the worker or warrior/spy/expert category. We see it in sources and novels, and--after all--if they do not handle the administrative aspects, what would we picture them doing?). So, in short, even though communties tend to be directed by females (and even then--according to Ed's reply--there is no fixed rule which establishes that males can't become ''decision-making'' people), males are treated with respect (in some sources, like SKR's article on drow society, it is even explicitly stated that males can enjoy a gender-fair treatment within Eilistraeeans communities).

4)
quote:
However, these gender matters can be overstated and overemphasized. On the whole, all clergy of the Dark Maiden welcome an increase in worshippers of the Goddess, and the fellowship (and working with) more and more Servants of the Dark Dancer.

This means that the misandrist priestesses are many, but still a minority. So, while some drow women can display sexism or lack of trust towards males, the latter are lovingly welcomed by Eilistraee to join her, and definitely do have a place among her followers. This wasn't really the case in Smedman's depiction of them, where the overall picture points to a faith where misandrism is widespread and where males feel like they don't have a place (and where they can get freaking mutilated or violently assaulted just for watching the dances).

And as for things like dictation of faith, or that original-sin like idea of redemption, or of the drow needing to be held guilty for what they are, and other similar things that emerge in Smedman's book (and drastically change what they're supposed to stand for), they are nowhere to be seen, anywhere, except in her writing.

Edited by - Irennan on 26 Nov 2016 15:24:53
Go to Top of Page

SABERinBLUE
Acolyte

30 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2016 :  23:15:11  Show Profile Send SABERinBLUE a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do want to take a second and say that I absolutely love all the indepth discussion that's taking place here. The diverse viewpoints and interpretations of this are incredibly helpful and useful. This seems like a great freaking community!
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2016 :  00:30:36  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It sounds to me like males at one point were not allowed in the clergy. That's what I garner from Ed's answer. This does not mean that males could not be lay worshipers, and eventually able to join once they have proven themselves. Elkantar, for example, had a high position of power in the faith, if I recall.

Some males would likely see this as further inequality, and I can see why, but this is not to say that they are under the females' thumb like the Lolthites. Eilistraee is a fair goddess. The males are not subjected to beatings or seen as inferior. They have it much better than Lolthite males.

Vhaeraun too is about equality.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2016 :  00:43:00  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@SABERinBLUE glad you're enjoying this. I hope that it proves useful to you.

quote:

It sounds to me like males at one point were not allowed in the clergy. That's what I garner from Ed's answer. This does not mean that males could not be lay worshipers, and eventually able to join once they have proven themselves. Elkantar, for example, had a high position of power in the faith, if I recall.

Some males would likely see this as further inequality, and I can see why, but this is not to say that they are under the females' thumb like the Lolthites. Eilistraee is a fair goddess. The males are not subjected to beatings or seen as inferior. They have it much better than Lolthite males.

Vhaeraun too is about equality.

Yeah, at the end of the day, the main limitation for males boils (or boiled, given that it is now lifted) down to their role within the clergy (and to the sexism that some groups of priestesses would still show, but that makes sense, given their background), which is not required to participate to rituals or being treated with love and respect.

Ed even tried to explain why males weren't at some point allowed into clergy, in the lines that I quoted in my previous post, and to me it doesn't seem discrimination on a whim on Eilistraee's side, but something connected to her own nature as a deity (in fact, when she tried to let males become priests, they even felt the need to take the changedance in order to connect with her). It also changed only after the time Eilistraee spent holding Vhaeraun's divinity, which could supposedly have changed her enough, even afer she returned to only hold her own divinity.

Edited by - Irennan on 27 Nov 2016 00:51:37
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2016 :  09:38:34  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SABERinBLUE

What I don't understand at all are driders. I see female driders depicted in most official game art, Lolth is almost always depicted in drider form, and I've gotten the vibe on a number of occasions that driders are seen as blessed by Lolth, elevated to a higher status by the transformation.
Becoming a drider is a dire punishment and reserved only for those males who fail drow society utterly... I remember a drider in the first book who was perfectly intelligent, but still male, having been transformed as a punishment.

The way I understand it is as follows:
Certain drow, or drow at a certain stage in their careers (used to be lvl 6) are subjected to The Test of Lolth. Failures were made into driders.

However, the opposite may also be true in that those who succeeded were made into driders.

I view Lolth as an evil goddess consumed by hate and bitterness at Corellon and all his works. Her hate makes her lash out, which explains her chaotic nature. The drow are her chosen race, because they more than any others receive the full force of her hate.

She isn't a strict mother trying to make them better, that's their view, she's an abuser locked in a relationship where she needs their worship to continue being a goddess but she hates and despises them because they are elves and remind her of what she once was and what she has lost.

The logic is borne out by draegloth. These are seen as her blessings too, but in order for a House to have a draegloth a priestess needs to mate with a glaebrezu, a process that no doubt results in horrendous physical damage to the priestess. Lolth wants to see how much the drow can degrade themselves.

So, to summarise, driders are both a blessing and a punishment. She randomly curses those who pass or fail her tests.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2016 :  16:14:08  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kiaransalyn

quote:
Originally posted by SABERinBLUE

What I don't understand at all are driders. I see female driders depicted in most official game art, Lolth is almost always depicted in drider form, and I've gotten the vibe on a number of occasions that driders are seen as blessed by Lolth, elevated to a higher status by the transformation.
Becoming a drider is a dire punishment and reserved only for those males who fail drow society utterly... I remember a drider in the first book who was perfectly intelligent, but still male, having been transformed as a punishment.

The way I understand it is as follows:
Certain drow, or drow at a certain stage in their careers (used to be lvl 6) are subjected to The Test of Lolth. Failures were made into driders.

However, the opposite may also be true in that those who succeeded were made into driders.

I view Lolth as an evil goddess consumed by hate and bitterness at Corellon and all his works. Her hate makes her lash out, which explains her chaotic nature. The drow are her chosen race, because they more than any others receive the full force of her hate.

She isn't a strict mother trying to make them better, that's their view, she's an abuser locked in a relationship where she needs their worship to continue being a goddess but she hates and despises them because they are elves and remind her of what she once was and what she has lost.

The logic is borne out by draegloth. These are seen as her blessings too, but in order for a House to have a draegloth a priestess needs to mate with a glaebrezu, a process that no doubt results in horrendous physical damage to the priestess. Lolth wants to see how much the drow can degrade themselves.

So, to summarise, driders are both a blessing and a punishment. She randomly curses those who pass or fail her tests.

So, on that topic (drow breeding with demons)... what other common mixtures do you guys see being part of drow society. For instance, I can definitely see there being alu-fiends where drow males are possibly rewarded with being visited by Succubi. I could also see Yochlol that mate with some males. Possibly Lilitus.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000