Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 New Official Realmslore?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2016 :  21:58:40  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
It seems to be dead in the water after SCAG.

Has anything come out since that I'm unaware of?

What are the novels like, post-sundering?

Sylrae's Forgotten Realms Fan-Lore Index, with public commenting access to make for easier improvement (WIP)

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2016 :  22:41:51  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Storm King's Thunder has some details on the North. Ed Greenwood wrote up the post-Sundering Waterdeep (and gave tidbits about many events, characters, and gods) in Death Masks. Erin Evan's has written about returned Mulhorand/Unther and about Azuth in her latest two novels, and RAS is continuing the Drizzt storyline, likely ending it in Hero.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2016 :  00:20:56  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dungeonology has FR stuff in it, but I'm not sure if it's mostly reprinted stuff or not as I haven't picked it up yet.
Volo's Guide to Monsters is the next big release. I expect it to be mostly core D&D relevant, but with it being written by Volo and annotated by Elminster, I'm expecting to get a fair whack of FR references.

Post-sundering novels also include Spellstorm. It focuses on a number of archmages in a fixed location rather than the world at large, but I think it's important to understanding the power dynamics between some of the most powerful figures in the Realms going forward.

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North

Edited by - KanzenAU on 19 Oct 2016 00:23:19
Go to Top of Page

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2016 :  00:46:30  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm. So mostly novels for info. I'll have to look into those, I'm far from up to date on my novel reading.

Storm kings thunder adventure: How good are these new adventures? Last time I looked at wotc adventures they were mostly oft-repeated bad dungeon tiles maps with very small tidbits of adventure between them. Have they gotten better? Are they good enough to consider using if 5e is not my system of choice?

Am also curious about dungeonology. The writeup I can find has scant detail, and I'm unsure what it's really going to be about. Is it like dungeonscape, or like dungeons of golarion?

Sylrae's Forgotten Realms Fan-Lore Index, with public commenting access to make for easier improvement (WIP)
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2016 :  00:58:29  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you want quick info, Lirdolin has compiled this timeline: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19630 and this summary of the current state of Waterdeep: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21050

They should include all the info contained in Ed's two latest novels, and more. It doesn't seem to be up to date with Erin Evans post-Sundering novels, tho (and they touch Azuth and the returned Old Empires).

As for SKT, I can't comment, since I haven't got the book. However, I've read that it has good lore.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2016 :  13:48:40  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sylrae

Hmm. So mostly novels for info. I'll have to look into those, I'm far from up to date on my novel reading.

Storm kings thunder adventure: How good are these new adventures? Last time I looked at wotc adventures they were mostly oft-repeated bad dungeon tiles maps with very small tidbits of adventure between them. Have they gotten better? Are they good enough to consider using if 5e is not my system of choice?

Am also curious about dungeonology. The writeup I can find has scant detail, and I'm unsure what it's really going to be about. Is it like dungeonscape, or like dungeons of golarion?

Storm King's Thunder fits in well with the SCAG, in that a fair portion of the book is giving short blurbs about certain towns and such in the northlands headed down to the heartlands and bordered by Anauroch.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2016 :  15:26:35  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chapter Three reminded me of The North Box Set. Which is a good thing IMO.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2016 :  16:15:49  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Chapter Three reminded me of The North Box Set. Which is a good thing IMO.

This.
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2016 :  10:38:43  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The North was a great setting ...It is good that is alive again!!!!

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1189 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2016 :  08:36:14  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The real reason why I bought Storm King's Thunder was just for the chapter worth of bits of information on the 'new' Savage Frontier. Even the Uthgardt barbarians get some extensive coverage (if only to have their mounds desecrated by the players later in the adventure).

I suspect this might be Wizard's strategy in selling their adventures. Part location lore supplement (at least for the locations covered) merged with adventures. I believe Out of the Abyss also detailed quite an amount of the Underdark. Same goes for Princes of Apocalyse for the Dessarin Valley.

Edited by - questing gm on 24 Oct 2016 08:37:33
Go to Top of Page

Dewaint
Learned Scribe

Germany
148 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2016 :  16:15:15  Show Profile Send Dewaint a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed, chapter3 is great stuff, also remarkable is that areas or location mentioned in more detail by earlier 5e FR Modules & SCAG got such note at the end of such sections. I like it

Probably I will not run the adventure at all, just use it as main source for the 5e North.

One thing I missed is an the update on Grandfather Tree for the underground complex mapped in old FR5.
But maybe am missing some changing mentioned in earlier sourcebooks.

Edited by - Dewaint on 24 Oct 2016 16:17:39
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000