Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Myrjala Darkeyes and other Mystran Avatars
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2016 :  19:03:40  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Im looking for info about Myrjala Darkeyes in particular, such as when was her first and last appearance and how long did it last and what happened during those appearances.

Then i'd also like to know about other avatars of Mystra, what forms did they take, when were they, what happened, etc.

If someone could help id really like that

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2016 :  01:02:57  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Elminster: Making of a Mage" for her appearances and a little snippet about her in the bit about Windsong Tower in the "Cormanthyr" accessory. That's about it.

I'm not aware of any of her other avatars other than the obvious (the humans who became Mystra Mk1 and Mystra Mk2).

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2016 :  06:59:03  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is excellent news. And as far as im aware there were no details of who the human mystra 1.0 sprouted from.

I love it when lore goes my way.

Now i just need to come up with a name.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2016 :  08:23:38  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the Temptation of Elminster Mystra had another identity that she used to train Elminster in ethics as well. Can't remember her name, but she was evil (This made sense due to the old Mystra's neutrality). The only other "avatar" of Mystra I know of is more like what 3rd E called an Eidolon: a statue of Mystra in either the Shadowdale or Tantras adventures that was a vessel of her power.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2016 :  10:17:08  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well thats good. Im going to work actual events into netherio that could give rise to the myth that mystryl perished and was reborn into mystra.

All i needed was to know that there is only one avatar known to have manifested for mystra 1.0. That it was a woman, and that it was quite far back in the past.

Sometimes i could quite happily kiss and kill the maker of the Netheril sourcebook. Ita full of cliches and fantasy tropes, and deus ex machine. And as jarring as they are in the subtlety of FR (past two and a half editions excluded), they actually can proved quite useful. Improved mythallar ftw.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2016 :  12:06:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

All i needed was to know that there is only one avatar known to have manifested for mystra 1.0. That it was a woman, and that it was quite far back in the past.

That's all that we know about. I think it unlikely there was only one, especially given the magic-heavy nature of the setting.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2384 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2016 :  16:41:53  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was also [SPOILER] in "Temptation of St. Elminster".

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2016 :  01:37:23  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm just going to add that I think Mystra ALWAYS has what I call an 'Embedded Avatar' in the Realms. A seemingly mortal woman unaware of her connection to Mystra until the need arises (IF the need arises). Midnight was one such avatar and it explains why a 'mortal' woman was given greater godhood. Of course, this doesn't apply to Cyric (canonically that is) but whatever.

Oh, and I believe the 'How the Mighty Are Fallen' adventure features a girl named Caitlyn that becomes Mystra after Mystryl's death. I could be wrong on that score though.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.

Edited by - The Arcanamach on 20 Aug 2016 01:37:45
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2016 :  04:13:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think Mystra has people that don't know they are avatars.

Instead, look at the musings of myself and Markustay, and our lovely Lady Hooded One's response:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I just had a thought... When Mystryl died, she dumped her power into a human girl.

Mystra 1.0 dumped a lot of her power into a human girl, too, before Midnight came along and got the rest of that power.

We also know that Mystra 1.0 possessed a mortal woman and had a slew of daughters with her, daughters that contained part of Mystra's essence...

What if Mystryl did the same thing? It's possible that the nameless girl who became Mystra was either a daughter of or a descendant of Mystryl. For that matter, a lot of magical anamolies could be explained that way -- maybe all of the non-Seven Chosen are descendants of Mystryl. Maybe some other odd cases, like wild talents, incantatrices, and even spellfire wielders are all descendants of Mystryl.

I might be wrong, but it's an interesting idea, thinks I.

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

In some of my 'deep secrets' musings in this thread and others, I have had some indication by 'persons in the know' (can't remember the specifics... probably Ed via THO) that the artifact that is Mystra requires some sort of mortal connection. Exactly why and and how deep that connection must be has never been discussed, because it falls into that 'deep secrets' category. I am not sure if it has anything to do with her initial creation, or some rule imposed upon her later by Ao (or even something else).

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Markustay, you recall correctly - - and Wooly, you tread into dangerous ground, you wise and insightful hamster, you!
(Which is a not so subtle way of saying you're on to something, both of you.)

THO

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2016 :  05:20:34  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent find wooly, that was exactly what i needed.

And thanks for the pointer arcanamach, ill try and find this caitlyn, although im not sure of the name.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page