Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Hlaavin
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2016 :  08:50:35  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What abilities set the the half-illithid greater doppleganger apart from his more mundane bretheren?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2016 :  14:58:03  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A greater doppelganger who eats the brain of a Medium-size or smaller humanoid victim absorbs the mind, memories, and personality of that victim. After consuming a victim's identity, the greater doppelganger can assume the victim's form with 100% accuracy and possess the victim's memories, abilities, and alignment. The only exceptions are cleric spells of 2nd level or greater, a paladin's special abilities, and other powers that are granted by the deities. When a greater doppelganger that has already consumed three or more personalities consumes another, it must make a Will save (DC 16) to avoid losing a random personality from those it consumed earlier. In any case, the greater doppelganger cannot have more consumed identities than it has Hit Dice, losing a random identity from its earlier pool if it tries to exceed that limit. If a greater doppelganger "wearing" one of its consumed identities commits an act that runs counter to that form's alignment, it is immediately forced into its base form for 1d10 rounds. In its base form, a greater doppelganger retains the basic memories of all the identities it has consumed, though not deeper memories. Memories from previously consumed identities that have been forced out by new identities fade quickly.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2016 :  15:11:26  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, sleyvas. I knew of the difference between greater doppy's and their lesser kin. I wondered more about the 'flayer half. I found a 3.5 half-illithid template which grants mindblast, spell resistance and suggestion among several other abilities which makes them slightly more formidable.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Edited by - Fellfire on 18 Aug 2016 16:15:53
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2016 :  15:22:17  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's other abilities separating the regular doppelganger from the greater, but as I reread you question... are you wondering the question of what's the difference between a regular and greater doppelganger OR are you wondering the difference between a greater doppelganger and a half-illithid greater doppelganger. If the latter, the difference is the abilities said template provide (mind blast, improved grab, extract, psionics, spell resistance, telepathy, darkvision, +4 stat increases on int, wis, cha, plus an LA of +5).

It should be noted that a regular doppelganger has change shape, whereas a greater doppelganger only has alter self. Alter self CAN be dispelled, granted this alter self is as if cast by an 18th level sorcerer.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2016 :  15:22:55  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lol, guess I read your mind

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2016 :  16:12:33  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
However, I was unaware of the differentiation between alter self and change shape abilities. Thanks again.

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 18 Aug 2016 16:17:21
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2016 :  23:24:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't put too much stock into any distinction between change shape and alter self. 3.0 dopplegangers (which the 3.0 greater doppleganger was based off of) had alter self as well; they were changed to have change shape when polymorph effects were cleaned up during 3.5. If the greater doppleganger was updated to 3.5 (or Pathfinder, or whatever) it should likely have change shape as well.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000