Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 5th Edition DMG PHB: buying revised printing?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

moonbeast
Learned Scribe

USA
249 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2016 :  07:04:44  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi all,

I very much want to buy the "later" printing versions of the 5th Edition DMG and PHB. I have the original "first printing" from 2014, the year when 5th Edition originally released.

But neither Amazon, eBay or any other online shops bother to list the exact "printing" of these books. According to WOTC, the DMG (5th Edition) is already at its "6th printing". Sheesh, already 5 revisions since its release in 2014.

Has anyone else gotten a hold of the later printing books? Or do I just have to go to the (not so near) FLGS and hope they carry one of the updated books on the shelves, and physically check the book for myself before buying it? Thanks for any tips.


P.S. —— don't bother telling me to just download the (free) Errata. I already did that. Besides, I'm a hopeless collector…. and a true "collector" will buy what he wants to buy.

Edited by - moonbeast on 14 Aug 2016 07:06:01

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4710 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2016 :  11:07:30  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought a new PH only because the binding on my first one crapped itself. Shades of the old Unearthed Arcana.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1201 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2016 :  14:11:57  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't found a method to discern what you're looking for on Amazon, other than messaging the seller and hoping they can tell you honestly. If they assure you it's the correct printing with errata, you order the tome, and check it on arrival. If it's wrong, you should be able to return it for a refund. Just check the return policy beforehand, and make sure your communications about the printing are recorded on Amazon, so your seller rating will make sense.

I haven't done this yet myself, mind,but I've thought about it. If it works, I'd love to know, and which seller you used so I can do the same when funding allows.

- Delwa Aunglor of Tangled Trees
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus

My Forging the Realms Archives (Google Drive pdfs)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
29637 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2016 :  15:57:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by moonbeast

But neither Amazon, eBay or any other online shops bother to list the exact "printing" of these books. According to WOTC, the DMG (5th Edition) is already at its "6th printing". Sheesh, already 5 revisions since its release in 2014.


6 printings doesn't mean 5 revisions. I'll not deny that there have been revisions, but multiple printings simply means that the earlier print runs have sold out.

You may be able to do some online research and see if there's a different ISBN number or something on later printings... Or find out if there is some other difference; I got my copy of the old DDG with the Cthulhu and Elric mythos by asking about the page count.

Barring any of those things, I would recommend going into the store and simply looking at the books themselves.

For me, the only time I've bothered with original and revised copies of game books have been when there were significant differences -- like the way some of the early BattleTech Technical Readout books contained the Unseen BattleMechs, and then the Revised editions of those same books left out the Unseen.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2868 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2016 :  00:22:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amazon goes through enough copies of books like that that you could reasonably expect any they themselves have in stock (as opposed to third-party sellers or fulfilled by Amazon) to be the latest printing.
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Learned Scribe

USA
249 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2016 :  03:54:07  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

Amazon goes through enough copies of books like that that you could reasonably expect any they themselves have in stock (as opposed to third-party sellers or fulfilled by Amazon) to be the latest printing.



Yes, what you say seems very likely since Amazon is a high volume book-seller. Still…. even tho it's already late-2016, I have a feeling that Amazon may still be selling unsold (original printing) inventory way back from 2014.

I really have no way to check with Amazon, since they still list the original first printing ISBN and printing dates (dating back to 2014). Same ISBN as the book I purchased back in 2014.
Go to Top of Page

Mith
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2016 :  19:29:45  Show Profile  Send Mith an AOL message Send Mith a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by moonbeast

But neither Amazon, eBay or any other online shops bother to list the exact "printing" of these books. According to WOTC, the DMG (5th Edition) is already at its "6th printing". Sheesh, already 5 revisions since its release in 2014.


6 printings doesn't mean 5 revisions. I'll not deny that there have been revisions, but multiple printings simply means that the earlier print runs have sold out.

You may be able to do some online research and see if there's a different ISBN number or something on later printings... Or find out if there is some other difference; I got my copy of the old DDG with the Cthulhu and Elric mythos by asking about the page count.

Barring any of those things, I would recommend going into the store and simply looking at the books themselves.

For me, the only time I've bothered with original and revised copies of game books have been when there were significant differences -- like the way some of the early BattleTech Technical Readout books contained the Unseen BattleMechs, and then the Revised editions of those same books left out the Unseen.



Has the binding improved since the first printings? Because those...left much room for improvement.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Master of Realmslore

1353 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2016 :  21:10:41  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by moonbeast


P.S. —— don't bother telling me to just download the (free) Errata. I already did that. Besides, I'm a hopeless collector…. and a true "collector" will buy what he wants to buy.

If it's for a collection, of course.
Otherwise, why not buy Castles & Crusades rather than a weird backport of it? It's not too far off for conversion.
And you would be paying for good job rather than give money to those who ran D&D into the ground, and now continue to milk the dead cow while using FR as a junkyard.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000