Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 New 5E Harper Feat
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2016 :  01:58:27  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So I was intrigued by all the minor benefits the various Harper prestige classes got in 3E. They really don't rise to becoming a subclass, and even as a prestige class in 5E they might wanting, so I thought I should work them as blessings like those found in the DMG, and then I thought, why not make them a feat too. I hemmed and hawed between allowing the choice of 3 to 5 blessings with each selection of the feat, but thought 4 seemed about right. Thoughts on the balance or the idea appreciated. Thanks.

Harper’s Blessings
Prerequisite: Membership in good standing with the Harpers.
The gods have always favored the Harpers. You gain four of the following benefits of your choice. You may choose this feat more than once, but you may not choose the same benefit more than once.

• Azuth’s Understanding: You have advantage on Intelligence (Arcana) checks.
• Deneir’s Eye: You have advantage on saving throws against glyphs, runes, and symbols. Once per short or long rest and by concentrating for 1 minute, you understand the meaning of any mundane glyph, rune, or symbol and the properties (including how to activate or trigger) any magical glyph, rune, or symbol without activating or triggering it.
• Eldath’s Cupped Hand: As an action, you can create up to 5 gallons of clean water within 5 ft. of you. It is enough water to put out a candle, torch, or small campfire.
• Lliira’s Heart: You have advantage on saving throws against being frightened. Once per short or long rest and with a touch, you also can suppress any effect causing a single target to be frightened for 1 minute.
• Mielikki’s Way: You have advantage on Wisdom (Survival) checks.
• Milil’s Ear: You have advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks involving listening and Charisma (Performance) checks involving music.
• Mystra’s Grace: You gain +1 bonus to all saving throws against spells (but not other magical effects).
• Oghma’s Knowledge: You have advantage on Intelligence (History) checks. Once per short or long rest and by concentrating for 1 minute, you can commit to memory any one thing you’ve read or heard, such as an entire poem, riddle, or contract. You can choose to retain an item after each short or long rest and can retain up to two items in your memory.
• Selune’s Aura: Dim light doesn’t impose disadvantage on your Wisdom (Perception) checks relying on sight. You also are immune to lycanthropy.
• Shaundakul’s Breath: You learn the message cantrip.
• Shialla’s Voice: Once per short or long rest and for 1 minute, you can communicate simple ideas with beasts through sounds and gestures.
• Silvanus’ Staff: You learn the shillelagh cantrip. You may choose Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma as your spellcasting ability.
• Tymora’s Smile: Once per long rest, you can reroll a single saving throw. You can choose to reroll after you roll the saving throw, but you must do so before the outcome is determined and must use the new roll.
• Swiftness of the Seldarine: Your base walking speed increases by 5 feet.

You also learn Harpspeak, a secret “language” that allows you to communicate verbally by using a coded argot or cant of Common and/or using a secretive sign language of gestures and expressions. This functions in a similar fashion to a Rogue’s Thieves’ Cant class feature (PH p. 96). In addition, you understand the secret waymarkers and runes that the Harpers often leave behind to denote things such as safe trails and hidden caches of items.
Note: DMs may also choose to grant these blessings as they would other supernatural gifts (DMG p. 227-228)

New Magic Item: Harper Pin
This silver pin acts as a ring of mind shielding.
Some Harper’s have greater Harper pins that also grant you immunity to divination spells and scrying devices, advantage against being charmed, and resistance against force and psychic damage.

Edited by - TomCosta on 02 Aug 2016 01:02:04

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2016 :  04:21:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like this... I like this A LOT!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2016 :  08:00:17  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great !!!

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2016 :  13:20:28  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, these are well done, and I like that its something that has enough decent choices along with the ability to pick almost a handful. So, anyone that takes this feat is likely to do things differently from someone else.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2016 :  01:33:27  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone. Sounds like general consensus so far is it is more or less balanced. I suspect Mystra and maybe Tymora give the best blessings, but they also seem to be two of the more prominent Harper patrons and even then they struck me as not too powerful.

I also tweaked the greater harper pin a bit, in particular by streamlining it and removing the resistance to electricity. In my mind it gives you resistance to mental powers whether telepathic or telekinetic. The electricity bit seemed unnecessary and unthematic (though I know Ed seemed to have an affinity for such things to keep folks on their toes).
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2016 :  01:35:15  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I also clarified that while you can choose it more than once, you can't choose the same blessing more than once and that Mystra's blessing doesn't include other magical effects, just spells.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2016 :  02:24:04  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just looking at the above again, it might be interesting if Tymora's smile added a statement that you must accept the results of the second roll even if they are worse than the previous (just for clarity). Looking at the above, my choices would be Mystra/Tymora/Azuth/Deneir .... though the Seldarine might beat out Deneir.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2016 :  01:02:35  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good point. Edits made to original post. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000