Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Mulmaster[3.5e]: Why is Mystra worship banned?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Steel_Stallion
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2016 :  18:09:18  Show Profile Send Steel_Stallion a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Referring to Mulmaster, the city in the Moonsea region, I had a question about what seems to be a law there.

Now I understand that the worship of Azuth is dominant there, and the Brotherhood of the Cloak, which governs magic use in the city, are closely tied with the church of Azuth. The sourcebook I am using (Mysteries of the Moonsea) mentions that the worship of Mystra is practically outlawed in the city. I understand the political reason behind it (the Cloaks consolidate their power and monopoly on magic), but is there an officially stated reason?

I can't seem to find one in the book, and I'm not sure what to have the NPCs respond with if the PCs ask. There must be 'some' official word on why, right?

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2016 :  23:59:25  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Basicaly Mystra is too good for the city. Azuth was a agreeable solution due to number of mages in brotherhood. Originaly first ruler was sorcerer-king Nesker who was killed by first High blade Amdrauth Telsnaer who then issued edict of Arcane banishment that formed the brotherhood itself.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2016 :  03:45:28  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did Arndrauth kill Nesker or seize power when that individual died?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2016 :  13:33:16  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He killed Nesker in 1317 DR and himself died in 1324 DR of poisoning by rival. From then 6 high blades have taken rule of Mulmaster between 1324-1348 when Rualph Blackbuckler was challenged and killed by Selfaril Uoumdolphin. His own twin brother Rassendyll took his place through a zhentarim plot in 1368 DR.
I really like the idea that Brotherhood of Cloak was originaly created as a way to control magic in city and they later gained political power back.

Also it should be good to mention that Mulmaster was long a seat of power for Banites until returned Bane made Chembryl his chosen and he solidified his power in the church (killing the High Imperceptor in Mulmaster).
As Bane is opposed to Mystra her followers were not welcomed in city.
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2016 :  14:05:50  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just to add lore here, Mulmaster was founded in 934 DR so Nesker probably wasn't it's first lord or he was extremely long lived (over 400 years old). As it is another 400 years from last Netheries survivor state (Hlontar) there is no lead as to where he could be from.
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2016 :  18:51:29  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know I'm late seeing this, but I'll add that Mulmaster was home to the High Imperceptor of Bane. Bane has hated Mystra since before the Time of Troubles and the rise of Midnight, and that antipathy would logically extend to his church persecuting (and *attempting* to eradicate) priests and followers of Mystra wherever possible. There's also a post-it note in the dusty recesses of memory which indicates that Nesker was a follower of Bane, or at least friendly to the ideals of tyranny.

My *guess* is that this antipathy between Bane and Mystra is the real reason behind any written or unwritten rules barring the worship of Mystra in Mulmaster. The existence and survival of a church of Azuth is probably a careful and delicate "balancing act" fraught with intrigue, as the followers of Mystra attempt to use it as a cover to thwart the church of Bane by enticing mages to follow Mystra and/or Azuth rather than Bane, recruiting mages to infiltrate the Cloaks, and perhaps more direct acts of sabotage, while the priests of Azuth try to minimize such tomfoolery and evict the most dangerous Mystrans... because the Cloaks are also infiltrating the church of Azuth and if word reaches the wrong ears about the Mystrans' presence in the church then the followers of Azuth are going to be targeted for vicious reprisals.

Mostly just guesses. YMMV.
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2016 :  12:13:33  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Though Savras and Velsharoon might find it less than amusing that their superiors might try using their churches to infiltrate the enemy, in areas hostile to Azuthans and Mystrans.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2016 :  13:02:58  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

Though Savras and Velsharoon might find it less than amusing that their superiors might try using their churches to infiltrate the enemy, in areas hostile to Azuthans and Mystrans.

Or they might like the fact that they're not being overshadowed per se by Mystra in those situations. Leira as well.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2016 :  23:04:18  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree.

FWIW, I would play the churches (and associated priests, paladins, lay followers, etc) of other deities of magic as energetically independent from the church of Mystra -- except when they need something and think they have a chance of requisitioning or guilt-tripping the church of Mystra into providing assistance.

Senior priests of Mystra may see the churches of other deities of magic and spellcasting as subject to the church of Mystra, but the priests of those other deities have no interest in asking permission or being accountable to the church of Mystra for their actions. Kinda like teenagers resent needing to report to their parents or get approval for whatever they want to do... teens see adulthood as freedom from those stifling bonds, and so go to great lengths to "prove themselves" or in any case be acknowledged and respected as adults over any and all objections their parents might raise.

We've seen priests, followers, and even deities behave like overgrown adolescents in many FR novels. While I deplore that portrayal in general, that seems to be the official view of the FR gods. Devout followers of the deities, from the most devout knights to the most pious and apparently-somber high priests, are by necessity more extreme than the deities themselves... because as mortals they lack even the infinitesimal wisdom and foresight and self-control of the deities, and they are also motivated to impress their deity and be more-like-the-divine than any of their peers.

So yea, Savras and Velsharoon and Leira might resent the presumption of superiority by Mystra and Azuth, and it's likely their priests would evince an even greater resentment... except that they will also (attempt to) demand that the church of Mystra defend them in times of need and avenge their losses. The church of Mystra is on the flipside, resenting and resisting such calls for assistance while unhesitatingly using the other churches as bases of clandestine operations.

All just my opinion. The more intrigue the better!
Go to Top of Page

Steel_Stallion
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2016 :  21:39:25  Show Profile Send Steel_Stallion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the help, guys. This clarifies things a little.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000