Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 5E Sentinel Domain Homebrew
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2016 :  01:54:47  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Comments welcome. I think its balanced, but would appreciate any thoughts you all have. Thanks.

Sentinel Domain
Standing watch, defending others, doing one’s duty. Loyalty in the mundane can turn one into a hero in an instant. Clerics of Helm, Gorm Gulthyn, Gaerdal Ironhand, Arvoreen, and sometimes Torm and Clangeddin Silverbeard are most likely to take the Sentinel domain. Many of these clerics also take the Alertness feat at their first opportunity.

Sentinel Domain Spells
Cleric Level Spells
1st Alarm, blessed watchfulness
3rd Iron vigil, warding bond
5th Clairvoyance, glyph of warding
7th Death ward, unceasing vigilance
9th Scrying, wall of force

Bonus Proficiencies
At 1st level, you gain proficiency with martial weapons and heavy armor.

Wary Watcher
You add Investigation and Perception to the list of skills from which you can choose at 1st level.
You also add the following spells to your cleric spell list: true strike, darkvision, detect thoughts, see invisibility, arcane eye, Rary’s telepathic bond, and foresight.
Lastly, you also know the guidance cantrip in addition to the other cantrips you know at 1st level. Moreover, you are able to cast guidance on yourself as a bonus action whenever you make an Intelligence (Investigation), Wisdom (Insight), or Wisdom (Perception) check or as a reaction when making a passive check using the same skills.

Channel Divinity: Aura of Protection
At 2nd level, you can use your Channel Divinity to protect others. As an action, you can create an aura of protection that lasts for 1 minute. whenever you or a friendly creature within 10 feet of you must make a saving throw, the creatures gains a bonus to the saving throw equal to your Wisdom modifier (with a minimum bonus of +1).
At 17th level, the range of this aura increases to 30 feet.

Defending Sentinel
At 6th level, the blessings of your god allow you to take advantage of every drop in any enemy’s guard, gaining the following benefits:
• Creatures within 5 feet of you provoke opportunity attacks from you even if they take the Disengage action before leaving your reach.
• When you hit a creature with an opportunity attack, the creature’s speed becomes 0 for the rest of the turn.
• When a creature within 5 feet of you makes an attack against a target other than you, you can use your reaction to impose disadvantage on the attack roll.

Divine Strike
At 8th level, you gain the ability infuse your weapon strikes with magical force – a gift from your deity. Once on each of your turns when you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can cause the attack to deal an extra 1d8 force damage to the target. When you reach 14th level, the extra damage increases to 2d8.

Bulwark of the Gods
At 17th level, you gain immunity to the exhausted, paralyzed, stunned, and unconscious conditions (even if you reach 0 hit points), as well as being put to sleep magically. Moreover, you no longer sleep, but meditate (as the elf’s trance ability).
In addition, using your action, you can cause a nearly invisible aura of divine force to infuse and surround you. For one minute, you add your Wisdom modifier (with a minimum bonus of +1) to your Armor Class and all Strength and Constitution checks.

New Spells
Blessed Watchfulness
1st-level abjuration
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch
Components: V, S
Duration: 8 hours

You confer exceptional powers of awareness and fortitude on a single willing creature that you touch. You create a 10-foot radius, 20-foot-foot high cylinder of magic energy centered on the target. A glowing aura visible to the caster and target appear wherever the cylinder intersects with the floor other surface. So long as the target remains within the cylinder, it gains the following benefits:
• Advantage on all Intelligence (Investigation) and Wisdom (Perception) checks, and
• Advantage on all saving throws against being frightened or charmed and immunity to being put to sleep magically.

Iron Vigil
2nd-level abjuration
Casting Time: 1 minute
Components: V, S
Duration: 1 tenday

You confer supernatural endurance on a single willing creature you touch, inuring the target from exhaustion, hunger, thirst, and extremes of climate. For the duration of the spell, the target is immune to the exhausted condition and automatically makes all Constitution checks and saving throws involving lack of sleep, laboring without rest, running a marathon, forced marches, food and water deprivation, holding their breath, extreme temperatures, and other effects that can result in exhaustion, such as certain illnesses and diseases.
The target must still meditate, doing nothing more strenuous than standing watch, for 4 hours to heal and regain spells and other abilities that require a long rest.

Unceasing Vigilance
4th-level abjuration
Casting Time: 1 minute
Components: V, S, M (a drop of holy water and crushed sapphire worth at least 100 gp, which the spell consumes)
Duration: 24 hours

You confer supernatural powers of vigilance on a single willing creature that you touch. You create a 10-foot radius, 20-foot-foot high cylinder of magic energy centered on the target. Glowing sapphire runes visible to the caster and target appear wherever the cylinder intersects with the floor other surface. So long as the target remains within the cylinder, it gains the following benefits:
• Darkvision and the ability to see invisible creatures and objects as if they were visible out to 60 feet.
• Advantage on all Intelligence (Investigation) and Wisdom (Perception) checks.
• Immunity to the charmed and frightened conditions and being put to sleep magically.
• The benefits of the iron vigil spell, including immunity to the exhausted condition (but only for the 8 hour duration and so long as you remain in the spell’s cylinder of effect).

Designer’s Notes
This domain was primarily inspired by the 2E kits and specialty priests of Helm, Gorm Gulthyn, Gaerdal Ironhand, and Arvoreen as detailed in Warriors and Priests of the Realms, Faiths and Avatars, and Demihuman Deities.

Edited by - TomCosta on 02 Aug 2016 01:00:47

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2016 :  04:22:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love the 2e "kits" feel that you've attempted to cultivate with this.

Good stuff!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2016 :  08:06:21  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great !!! 2nd edition logic !!!

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11716 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2016 :  13:15:07  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just as a recommendation, and I may be going overboard, but to stress that they're about guardianship.... the first level ability which offers up two new skill choices, I'd add an extra sentence to encourage perception. "Your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make that uses the perception skill". I started to say both, but as a guardian you're less the investigator (but I agree that that is a good proficiency to offer them). There's even a part of me that says offer it up on both.

Also, you may want to move that text saying that they can add investigation and perception to their coice from the bonus proficiencies entry. By that, it makes it very clear that they don't get those as bonus proficiencies, but rather they've got some other options. Nothing wrong with your text, but you know how some people skim and assume.

The guidance thing is very nice, and it should be noted by the players that that requires concentration, so if they use it, they drop any other concentration spell they have going.

On the spells:
Blessed Watchfulness - I love the concept. Duration is long for something that gives you advantage for that long on the skill checks, especially for 1st level. If it weren't advantage and rather a set bonus of a specific bonus type, that would probably be better.

Please take these recommendations with a grain of salt. I offer them up only in the hopes that it improves things (and I honestly wish I could get someone to do the same on some of the rules I've written... collaboration improves things).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2016 :  02:05:20  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought about doubling the proficiency bonus or giving advantage with Perception or the related, but settled on the guidance bit as a slightly different way of doing it, which struck me as kind of neat and truly demonstrated the divine nature of their bonus, but maybe the d4 should become 2d4 at 11th level. What do you think? And guidance does require concentration, but when you can cast it as a bonus action or a reaction, it allows you to cast it on the fly.

Good idea on moving the skill choices. I had the same idea after I posted.

Good point on blessed watchfulness. Maybe it needs to be in set area like unceasing vigilance. The idea is you can stand watch and detect things coming to you, not wander around using Perception to find stuff and since 5E generally avoids set bonuses, I'm trying to too. Advantage usually works out to about +4 to +5 IIRC. In 2E days, Perception wasn't even a thing or nearly as useful as it became in 4E or 5E (or even 3E with Spot and Listen). (As a side note blessed watchfulness and iron vigil were originally found in Player's Option: Spells & Magic ["more advanced" 2E D&D] and gelled nicely with one another, while unceasing vigilance was in the original Tome of Magic and obviously had a different derivation-I've tried to sync them up better) back.) So new text is:

You confer exceptional powers of awareness and fortitude on a single willing creature that you touch. You create a 10-foot radius, 20-foot-foot high cylinder of magic energy centered on the target. A glowing aura visible to the caster and target appear wherever the cylinder intersects with the floor other surface. So long as the target remains within the cylinder, it gains the following benefits:
• Advantage on all Intelligence (Investigation) and Wisdom (Perception) checks, and
• Advantage on all saving throws against being frightened or charmed and immunity to being put to sleep magically.
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2016 :  02:14:41  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and you raised the issue of Investigation. Passive Investigation is used against most illusions, which is the main reason I included it. And of course, Insight to detect lies.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11716 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2016 :  02:39:23  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahh, good point on the passive investigation. I do like the idea of the guidance ability improving with levels, as it makes passive checks less likely to catch everything, but still gives them a good bonus.... and if they use it, they drop any other concentration spell they had up, which can be nasty.

That idea of making blessed watchfulness affect an area is great. That gets rid of exactly what I was thinking, player abuse.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2016 :  01:01:23  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Sleyvas. I've edited the first post with the updated mechanics. Still have to add some more fluff to the description.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000