Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Details on Haekrukkha
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2016 :  22:54:10  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello everyone

I am looking for as much detail on the Hobgoblin kingdom of Haekrukkha as possible. I'm hoping George has a lot of detail because I am working on a campaign that involves some hobgoblins discovering lore on this ancient kingdom and inspires them to create another.

What kind of kingdom was it? Was it built like a human city? How was it ruled? I've always imagined a hobgoblin kingdom being ruled through a feudal system much like Japan.

Anything would be welcome.

Cheers.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2016 :  16:24:46  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ask him on his scroll...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2016 :  16:52:44  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Check out this scroll...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2016 :  02:11:39  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Look at this site, which brings some info I found in Mr. George Krashos' thread some time ago.

EDIT: Reading again your OP I understand that you probably had access to this info I posted... It is all I have, let's see if George answers you and brings up more details.

Besides, Ed answered some time ago (in 2010) about the behavior of hobgoblins in Faerűn, and how they manage to keep low profile while amassing considerable military power. Check it out, it is in the 24 Jul 2010 : 17:43:18 entry by THO.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 29 Jun 2016 02:34:48
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2016 :  07:03:13  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much for the responses lads!

Hopefully George will answer some of my questions. I'm working on one of those "exception" moments so I hope I will come away with more knowledge than we have at the moment.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2016 :  15:38:18  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
What kind of kingdom was it?

A vast track of forested plains, craggy hills and mountains crowned with military outposts, dotted with clans holding hidden partly subterranean military strongholds (dwarvenholds) connected through the numerous forgotten cavepassages built by dwarves and gnomes of the past and forgotten humanoid slaves in the present.

quote:
Was it built like a human city?

Largely built around 'holy sites' that somehow empowered the cabals and Dargraths lieutenants, for example a subterranean forest in a 1000 ft deep ravine, where the broken remains of sacrifices nourish the ecosystem.

quote:
How was it ruled?

A military meritocracy ruled by a Dargrath (great slayer) backed by a cabal of shamans of Nomog Geaya. The cabals are the ones with a lot of political power as their blessings and longterm plans usually foresee who becomes the next great slayer. Boges are the tight lipped brooding agents of Nomog Geaya's military arm, ruling by fear and intimdation. Arcane secrets and military tactics are respected nearly equally, with effective fighting prowess in slightly favored position.

quote:
I've always imagined a hobgoblin kingdom being ruled through a feudal system much like Japan.
They are more like a confederation of clans, who supply those with power with specialized units and shamans working towards a common goal of regional domination (here meaning a means to all things they desire with as little effort as possible for the hobgoblins themselves). Cabals of these clans compete with guile and brutality, weeding out any weaknesses in both their own and competing ranks.

A great Dargrath manages to organize a raiding party from these competing clans, squeezing tribute (humanoid slaves, foodstuffs and manufactured goods) from any nearby surface races until they form a united front. These raiders (usually not greater in number than a 10 to 100, but in the past hordes could number in the thousands) than quickly retreat into numerous secret subterranean tunnels that they tend collapse behind them.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2016 :  18:22:36  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In Dragon 167 there is a prelude to the Pomarj, a region where the GreyHawk Module "Against the Slave Lords" takes place. I would steal several ideas from it...

It is a region dominated by the goblinoid, gnoll, orc and kobolds tribes that managed to sack the hegemony of Kingdoms of Keoland and its dwarven allies. It has gradually evolved into a region ruled by the 'less civilized' humanoid races, who control even the capital cities of those long lost kingdoms. Most are in poor state, but some can be considered improved upon with wooden palisades and watchtowers.

The largest tribes hold sway over the gates of these towns, making sure they get their share of the trade (smuggling of mostly slaves, caravan goods and plunder) passing through their realms. The interesting hobgoblin names of these large clans might hold a secret to how their holds are designed...

There is the Bluebottle clan, who probably have something of a trade in the soul markets: They capture souls in luminous bottles, whose bluetinted glass can capture them for a limited amount of time and are probably aligned to several nighthag covens.

The Dripping Eye clan might have a more spellcasting bent, wheeling and deeling in components and sacrifices to fell gods: they operate from a large wizard tower in a town they conquered.

The Meat Eater clan might have a strong tradition of self improvement through absortion, somehow gaining power by eating powerful foes. They are likely to hold a city along the main slave smuggling route, in a fortress city filled with swarms of flies.

The Rotting Kraken might have found a way into an underdark lake under one of the Dwarven Holds, and reinforce their prowess in battle through sapping the energy of a kraken corpse.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2016 :  09:19:53  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fair play Bladewind! Thanks a million!

Would it be, going against the grain as they say, if I decided to have the hobgoblins I come up with decide to learn from the mistakes of the past in order to insure their kingdom doesn't fall to stupidity?

#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2016 :  09:21:01  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm thinking about doing this stuff and putting it up on DM'sGuild.

#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2016 :  12:40:50  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bladewind, is this canon or made by you? Cause you mention Nomog-Geaya, but the sources I found before mention Maglubiyet as their main deity...

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2016 :  18:30:30  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All non canon, except for the name of Dargrath and the ravine with the subterranean forest.

I used the linked sources in this thread and added bits of lore from Auldragons monster mythology project lore on the goblinoid pantheon, and some lore from dragon material (167 for the tribes listed by Joseph Bloch and 315 for the Boge of Nomog-Geaya PrC by David Schwartz) to get to the ideas I explored above.

Hobgoblin feature prominently in my current campaign, so I steal all tangible lore I find on them, to make them stand out in my encounters. For example I changed the virtues of Bushido to fit the dogma of Nomog Geaya, that has contempt for emotions especially fear and sorrow because of their corrupting influence on the warrior spirit.
Persistance warriors make full commitment to their decisions
Courage heroic courage is intelligent and strong, never foulish
Wrath leave no slight unpunished and have no mercy for your foes
Respect true strength of a warrior is apparent at all times, speak seldom
Pride hobgoblins are destined to rule over all others
Honor you cannot hide from yourself
Loyalty be true to your superiors

They use ritualistic punishments in a complex and brutal judicial system, which all warrior adults must adhere to, usually meeted out by the clergy of Nomog-Geaya. Duels and brutal training regiments are common sights in larger tribes that house many hobgoblins (typically 550 warriors and 550 females and 750 younglins).

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2016 :  11:22:13  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is very nice work, but I must confess this is a biased opinion, for I am also a "fan" of hobgoblins and Nomog-Geaya - and of Auld Dragon's work on deities.

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 06 Jul 2016 11:24:09
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2016 :  16:00:44  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always thought Hobgoblins were a race that has been underplayed. We never really see their full potential.

#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6647 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2016 :  10:13:36  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have just put something up in my thread in the Chamber of Sages.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000