Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 5e Westgate Lore?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2016 :  18:42:34  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met, all--

So, to my knowledge, the most recent Westgate info was in the article I released toward the end of 4e updating the city to 1485.

I've been distracted with other projects for a while since, so I'm asking here: Has there been anything else? Novels? Supplements? DMs Guild stuff?

Why do I ask?

Oh, no reason.

Not like I'm doing research for a current project or anything.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"

Adhriva
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2016 :  19:31:00  Show Profile  Visit Adhriva's Homepage Send Adhriva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only 'official' material I can think of would be found in the Sword Coast Adventure Guide. None of the DMGuild stuff counts as official unless it finds its way into a Wizard's publication as I understand it - and to my knowledge, none have (think of the DMG as a huge, RPG-titles-only, community brainstorming session.)

Professional illustrator and comic book artist.
Portfolio

Edited by - Adhriva on 14 Jun 2016 20:34:07
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2016 :  20:00:34  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that you have a "clean slate" to work with Erik.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6352 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2016 :  20:18:20  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is exactly what the Realms needs and possibly the best thing about the DMs Guild, designers of the past working on the realms but writing what they want to write rather than what they are allowed to (or what is likely to get approved)

I've never read the Sundering novels but wasn't Westgate mentioned in one of those.

This is what Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide has about Westgate
quote:
Westgate. The dismal city of Westgate isn't a romantic place, but someone seeking employment for shady work, or looking to hire someone for the same, will find few places better suited in all of Faerun.
Westgate is considered by some Faerunians as a harbinger of the eventual fate of places like Arnn and Sembia, where coin rules over all other considerations. As in many such places, one's moral outlook is less important in Westgate than one's attitude toward bribery. The city's proximity to Cormyr makes it a breeding ground for that nation's enemies, including the Fire Knives, a guild of thieves and assassins that the naive pretend doesn't exist.

Unless it is mentioned in one of the adventure paths I think you have the freedom to write whatever inspires you.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Adhriva
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2016 :  20:59:27  Show Profile  Visit Adhriva's Homepage Send Adhriva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have some unused concept art for an ambassador and his delegation from Westgate. The idea got cut from the project early, so I never discovered a true visual look for Westgate and its inhabitants. Obviously, completely unofficial art, but I'll send it your way if you're interested.

Professional illustrator and comic book artist.
Portfolio

Edited by - Adhriva on 14 Jun 2016 21:02:05
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2016 :  03:53:44  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting that the Fire Knives are still around but no mention of the Night Masks.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2016 :  13:51:25  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That I know, the few lines in the SCAG are all the post-Sundering lore available about Westgate. That said, I'm looking forward to your work, Erik.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 15 Jun 2016 13:51:36
Go to Top of Page

Lamora
Seeker

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2016 :  16:50:30  Show Profile Send Lamora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyway this new work is a brand new novel? Preferably with a wizard as the main character? I can hope at least.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2016 :  16:54:46  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it's a mix between a short story and an adventure, if my memory doesn't fail me. Novels can't be published through the DMGuild. Actually, it looks like pure fiction as a whole is prohibited (it's in their FAQs. So, fiction tied to sourcebooks and the likes is ok. Stand-alone fiction, not so much). Sadly, this prevented Elaine from releasing her ''Reclamation'' through the DMGuild, and it has impaired another work that a scribe here showed to me, and that I thought had a lot of potential.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 15 Jun 2016 16:57:14
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2016 :  21:13:02  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

Interesting that the Fire Knives are still around but no mention of the Night Masks.

That happened between 3rd & 4th edition. The two groups were allies, then the Fire Knives betrayed the Night Masks and murdered the vast majority of them.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2016 :  23:48:03  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought one of Manshoon's clones was the leader.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2016 :  02:51:21  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowsoul

I thought one of Manshoon's clones was the leader.

Yes, the vampire one. He escaped the slaughter and became leader of the Zhentarim again.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2016 :  14:51:35  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wasn't Vampshoon messing around in Cormyr during those Elminster novels? El must Die ectera...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2016 :  04:08:00  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Well met, all--

So, to my knowledge, the most recent Westgate info was in the article I released toward the end of 4e updating the city to 1485.

I've been distracted with other projects for a while since, so I'm asking here: Has there been anything else? Novels? Supplements? DMs Guild stuff?

Why do I ask?

Oh, no reason.

Not like I'm doing research for a current project or anything.

Cheers

I would think Kirenkirsalai was ruling Westgate these days. But I could be wrong.
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2016 :  17:00:10  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Wasn't Vampshoon messing around in Cormyr during those Elminster novels? El must Die ectera...

That's what I was thinking. I seem to remember a line in Spellstorm that said he wasn't bothering with the Zhents atm? Could be wrong.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2016 :  23:14:12  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't care for the discription of Westgate 5e, made it sound like sh*thole.
Go to Top of Page

Lirdolin
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2016 :  22:47:53  Show Profile  Visit Lirdolin's Homepage Send Lirdolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It depends on in which year your new project is set (Shadowbane - Eye of Justice and it's cliffhanger ending were set in 1480 DR), if this information is of any consequence:

In autum of 1485 DR up to Eleint of 1486 DR 'The Great Rain' reflooded the Sea of Fallen Stars to it's pre-Spellplague shoreline, so maybe the shore/harbor of Westgate might sport some drowned buildings now?

Another sideeffect of the storm is a'new' bloodline of sorcerers that appeared near the Inner Sea: Storm Sorcerers. (SCAG pg.136-137)

By the way could it be that your project, besides Westgate, is somehow connected to the way back 'Forgotten Realms Lore Reconciliation Contest'? (Remember: Still don't want to die horribly in one of your novels, prefer vampiric undeath)

(Just flipped through the novel 'Masquerades' to look at the old map of Westgate and wondered if Alias is still around to revisit 5e Westgate)

Edited by - Lirdolin on 28 Jun 2016 23:00:01
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2016 :  23:55:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lirdolin

(Just flipped through the novel 'Masquerades' to look at the old map of Westgate and wondered if Alias is still around to revisit 5e Westgate)

I asked Jeff Grubb about the longevity of Alias and her sisters, last year, at GenCon. He gave a definite maybe on whether or not they'd be immortal.

I'm inclined to think they would be immortal, because of Finder's original goal, but it could also be argued that since they are alive enough to have kids, that the gods didn't inflict immortality on them.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2016 :  23:33:36  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Helm is back, so that's bound to have an effect.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000