Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 D&D 4th edition!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2004 :  15:30:04  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Stumbled upon something over at ENWorld, which ultimately links to a post over at Skullport (need I say more )

quote:
Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition Announced!

Reported by Sylvus Moonbow on February 18, 2004

Do you really care anymore? 3rd Edition brought a lot of change to the table and a good one too. 3.5 Edition made you wonder what in the world WotC were doing.

Well, here's one for you to really get your teeth around. Do you think the 3.5 Edition rule changes could have been held back until 4th Edition? A question many are asking themselves with this D&D Announcement.

HASBRO TO RELEASE FOURTH EDITION OF POPULAR D&D GAME IN FALL 2006

Associated Press -- In a move designed to cement their already formidable presence in the role-playing game market, Hasbro subsidiary
Wizards of the Coast is planning to release a fourth edition of its popular Dungeons & Dragons (TM) game in fall 2006. The move is seen as somewhat controversial by industry insiders since Wizards of the Coast (WotC) has just released a revision to the third edition of the D&D game, commonly referred to as "version 3.5".

"It comes as a bit of surprise to some of our fans, perhaps," said D&D
designer Jonathan Tweet, "but a fourth edition of D&D is the logical progression of the game's evolution. To help support our fans who have bought the 3.5 core books we're going to be offering a 15% trade-in deal for the new fourth edition core books. We're excited about the work being done for the fourth edition and now that 3.5 is out it's time to start planning for the future. We're going to be doing things in this new game that no one has ever dared do in an RPG."

Tweet offered no further comment, but stressed that the fourth edition--officially titled "Dungeons & Dragons Millenium Edition"--would be a "substantial rethinking" of the D&D brand. Hasbro's stock jumped five points after the exciting announcement.

1. Release date has been set at Fall 2006, though some reports have
(incorrectly) reported Fall 2005.

2. D&D 4th edition will mark the return of the boxed set. The game wll be sold in both "Starter Set" and "Master Set" editions. The "Starter Set" will be a boxed set which will include the 4th edition Player's Handbook (hardcover), several maps and counters (WotC
insiders are refusing to give details about these, but claim that they will be an integrated part of gameplay, not just used for combat
resolution), and 10 miniatures. The "Master Set" ("master" referring to Dungeon Master) includes all of the above plus the Dungeon Master's Guide and the Monster Manual. Dice will not be included in either set.

3. A report in the Los Angeles Times stating that the new game will be officially called "Dungeons & Dragons Millenium Edition" has proven
unfounded. At this time the game is simply being referred to by WotC as "D&D 4th Edition".

4. The game will make extensive use of miniatures and counters; unlike
previous editions their use will not be optional. Interestingly, the game will also use various systems for task resolution in addition to die rolls. No details on what kind of systems, but some are speculating a tarot card deck will be included with the Master Set. This is, however, unfounded at this point in time.

5. New core classes [not prestige classes] include Alchemist, Sage, and Magician. No word on which, if any, classes from 3/3.5 will be dropped. When asked how "Magician" differs from Wizard/Sorcerer, WotC insiders smiled slyly but had no reply.

6. The game will use a 1.5" scale for its combat grid and all miniatures released for the game will use this new scale.

Get a sense of humor or rent one if you don't have one.

Obviously a prank from the poster, although I think using Jonathan Tweet's name is a bit off.

Still, id welcome back boxed sets if nothing else

Dont throw away your 3/3.5 rulebooks just yet anyway

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2004 :  16:28:52  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I saw ENWorld mention this hoax. Some things should have tipped everyone off right away if they couldn't figure out this was a fake:

1. No way WOTC announces a product that far in advanced.

2. L.A. Times mentions roleplaying without it being involved in a crime or blasting it???

3. WOTC offering a trade in. Yeah....right....
Go to Top of Page

Jacinth Greyfox
Acolyte

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2004 :  18:42:09  Show Profile  Visit Jacinth Greyfox's Homepage Send Jacinth Greyfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hasbro stock jumps five points as a result of this exciting announcement? *ironic laughter*

The Throne or the Tomb!
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2004 :  23:22:18  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sirius is right. WotC never mentions a new release until it's already been released...

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2004 :  23:51:35  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank god this is a hoax! When I first saw the title of this topic, I was nearly freaking out. I can barely remember the stuff of 3.5e, let alone a 4e coming out. Lol.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Belfar
Seeker

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2004 :  00:35:28  Show Profile Send Belfar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Had me a little scared Rad. Almost wasn't suprised though. Does anyone else think that 4th edition just has a strange sound to it?
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2004 :  01:26:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember this. It's actually an old April Fools joke from Wizards' main page(Back when there actually was a reason to visit it...)
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2004 :  05:15:23  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowlord

Sirius is right. WotC never mentions a new release until it's already been released...

No, no, no my Vhaeraun treasure. It's the novel releases that they never get around to mentioning until after they are already out.

Crunchy releases aren't that bad.

And if your game is called Eberron, months before you are released you get a parade, a blimb, and everything but television ads and I'm waiting any day for those to start. <insert that elusive rolling eyes smilie here>
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2004 :  05:17:58  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

Thank god this is a hoax! When I first saw the title of this topic, I was nearly freaking out. I can barely remember the stuff of 3.5e, let alone a 4e coming out. Lol.

I'm holding out for edition 3.90210 and they can then model the alignments after characters from the show. Dylan will be Chaotic Good, Brandon will be Lawful Good, and so on down the line.
Go to Top of Page

bane
Acolyte

Australia
6 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2004 :  03:09:54  Show Profile  Visit bane's Homepage Send bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Basically to have my 2 cents worth i'll will just say that if wizards bring out another edition anytime soon i will refuse to touch it. As simple as that.
Go to Top of Page

Magic Matt
Seeker

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2004 :  19:27:58  Show Profile  Visit Magic Matt's Homepage Send Magic Matt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You scared the hell out of me!

It still get 1e mixed up with stuff in 2e, and 3e, no make that 3.5e, er…. no 3e, or is it the other way around.

"You had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war."
-Winston Churchill- (to Neville Chamberlain)

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
-William Shakespeare, "As You Like It", Act 5 scene 1

He who will not reason is a bigot. He who cannot is a fool. and he who dares not is a slave.
-Sir William Drummond-
Go to Top of Page

Karesch
Learned Scribe

Canada
199 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  03:02:31  Show Profile  Visit Karesch's Homepage Send Karesch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read the title of the post, and was like, "oh dear god nooooooooooooooooooooooo" I'm still debating whether to actually buy into the 3.5e stuff or not. So far I'm holding onto my 3e books with an iron grip and hesitant to touch the 3.5 books. So yeah, if they release 4e books,anytime soon, I'll be goin to WotC with my work boots on.

Knowledge is power... power corrupts... knowledge corrupts? hmm...

Death is only frightening to those who haven't died yet...
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  15:20:30  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Karesch

I read the title of the post, and was like, "oh dear god nooooooooooooooooooooooo" I'm still debating whether to actually buy into the 3.5e stuff or not. So far I'm holding onto my 3e books with an iron grip and hesitant to touch the 3.5 books. So yeah, if they release 4e books,anytime soon, I'll be goin to WotC with my work boots on.

What's frustrating about 3.5 the most to me is some D20 publishers updating old products to the new rules, with minimal new material, rather than creating entirely new products.
Go to Top of Page

Canyia
Seeker

63 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2004 :  07:59:23  Show Profile  Visit Canyia's Homepage Send Canyia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DON'T scare me like that!!!

Some people say that I'm heartless. They are wrong though,I have the heart of a little girl . . .in a jar on my desk.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2009 :  04:49:33  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-4E, Its very real now.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Drew
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2009 :  07:45:44  Show Profile  Visit Drew's Homepage Send Drew a Private Message  Reply with Quote
and here I thought I finally got the nightmare outta my head :( thanks brim

The noblest fate a man can endure is to place his body between the home he loves, and wars desolation.
Go to Top of Page

Artemel
Learned Scribe

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2009 :  14:02:11  Show Profile  Visit Artemel's Homepage Send Artemel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brimstone, the Necromancer, bringing old threads new unlife. :D
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2009 :  14:56:37  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Talk about L'esprit d'escalier.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Eryops
Acolyte

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2009 :  21:15:02  Show Profile  Visit Eryops's Homepage Send Eryops a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think these jokes are launching pads for ideas. Hmmm... making minis mandatory? Bandying around new classes? (although this can be done in splat form) Changing the grid size? Going back to boxed sets? They can gauge reaction to these pretty well, and write them off as a prank if people hate them. We did go to required minis, and I don't think many people would have complained about 1.5" grids - but perhaps they didn't move there because everyone could use their defunct MageKnight minis rather than WotC ones.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2009 :  22:34:27  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Drew

and here I thought I finally got the nightmare outta my head :( thanks brim

-You are so welcome Drew.

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2009 :  22:35:46  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Artemel

Brimstone, the Necromancer, bringing old threads new unlife. :D

-Tips my hat!

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2009 :  23:05:20  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This thread makes me sad... in the pants.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2009 :  23:28:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This scroll only reminds me how much I miss Rad.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2009 :  23:45:22  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember this thread so so long ago, and people speculating that at least they would always have 3rd edition if $e was awful.

Well here it is, and at least we all have 3rd edition:)

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2009 :  15:51:44  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its scarey how accurate that joke sounds now.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

ErskineF
Learned Scribe

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2009 :  17:09:27  Show Profile  Visit ErskineF's Homepage Send ErskineF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
People would have realized it was a joke immediately if it had mentioned weird changes to the Realms like advancing the timeline a hundred years, killing off Mystra and most of the NPCs of the Realms, etc.

--
Erskine Fincher
http://forgotten-realms.wandering-dwarf.com/index.php
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2009 :  20:40:39  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Victoren, Althen Artren's pet chihuahua while smoking:

4th Edition is great...FOR ME TO POOP ON.

Go to Top of Page

Wrigs13
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
201 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2009 :  22:02:39  Show Profile  Visit Wrigs13's Homepage Send Wrigs13 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not to be negative but 4e? Why?

Do not try to understand the 4th edition. Thats impossible. Instead...only try to realise the truth. There is no 4th edition.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2009 :  22:48:22  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ErskineF

People would have realized it was a joke immediately if it had mentioned weird changes to the Realms like advancing the timeline a hundred years, killing off Mystra and most of the NPCs of the Realms, etc.

Sadly... you are corect.

That joke was just 'mild' enough to be believable.

Much more so then what REALLY happened.

Still, his 'prediction' about the minis was spot-on.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2009 :  23:00:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

Victoren, Althen Artren's pet chihuahua while smoking:

4th Edition is great...FOR ME TO POOP ON.
Let's have none of that please. While you're free to discuss your apparent dislike of 4e, we don't need comments such as this to be posted.

Thank you.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2009 :  04:10:41  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Thank you Sage.

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page