Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Tree of Souls... Where is it?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2007 :  17:24:44  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I recently re-read Evermeet:Island of Elves, (seems I do that every year)I also read Grand History of the Realms. (The best Realms product in years, thank you Brian James and Ed Greenwood, almost makes up for the dismantling of the Realms)

Anyway, on page 486 of Evermeet, Amlaruil gives the Tree of Souls to Lamruil to place in Auseriel. Then in GHotR on page 158 (1376) Queen Amlaruil visits Ilsevele in Myth Drannor and brings her the Tree of Souls? Did something happen in Auseriel when Maura came up missing? (is that story told anywhere?)Anyway, just noticed this seeming discrepancy. I appreciate any info.

ShadowJack

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2007 :  17:41:51  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lamruil's city was attacked and they brought the tree back to Evermeet and from there to Myth Drannor

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2007 :  17:49:26  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where is this tale recounted, and who attacks Auseriel?

ShadowJack
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2007 :  17:56:40  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
GHotR, page 154, 1373, Mirtul 2.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

Karzak
Learned Scribe

196 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2007 :  18:27:04  Show Profile  Visit Karzak's Homepage Send Karzak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

Lamruil's city was attacked and they brought the tree back to Evermeet and from there to Myth Drannor

Wow, way to make the founding of his city perfectly pointless in the first place.
Go to Top of Page

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2007 :  18:48:14  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's kind of what I was thinking, Karzak...

ShadowJack
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2007 :  21:02:41  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Karzak

quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

Wow, way to make the founding of his city perfectly pointless in the first place.

Don't shoot the messenger... I didn't like the passage of the tree bein planted in Myth Drannor when it happened, and Rich Baker confirmed that he had ... forgotten this one thing...

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Karzak
Learned Scribe

196 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2007 :  21:59:16  Show Profile  Visit Karzak's Homepage Send Karzak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, not shooting you. But shooting that particular bit of nonsense would be justice well-served.

Edited by - Karzak on 27 Nov 2007 22:08:30
Go to Top of Page

Arkhaedun
Senior Scribe

869 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2007 :  22:09:33  Show Profile  Visit Arkhaedun's Homepage Send Arkhaedun a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its fine to not like a particular element that might have been introduced into the setting, but let's be careful not to make our criticisms too harsh, or too personal.

Edited by - Arkhaedun on 27 Nov 2007 23:49:15
Go to Top of Page

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2007 :  23:21:52  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No personal attacks were meant! Honestly, I have read through the Last Mythal series twice now and enjoyed it both times, very much! I like Mr. Baker work and surely do not want to offend him. My apologies!

ShadowJack
Go to Top of Page

Karzak
Learned Scribe

196 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2007 :  23:33:27  Show Profile  Visit Karzak's Homepage Send Karzak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arkhaedun

Its fine to not like a particular element that might have been introduced into the setting, but lets be careful not to make our criticisms too harsh, or too personal.

A shortage of apostrophes, sah?
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2007 :  01:29:38  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ShadowJack

Anyway, on page 486 of Evermeet, Amlaruil gives the Tree of Souls to Lamruil to place in Auseriel. Then in GHotR on page 158 (1376) Queen Amlaruil visits Ilsevele in Myth Drannor and brings her the Tree of Souls? Did something happen in Auseriel when Maura came up missing? (is that story told anywhere?)Anyway, just noticed this seeming discrepancy. I appreciate any info.

I think that plot was an attempt to fix the discrepancy that occured in The Last Mythal trilogy, where it was said that the Tree of Souls was planted on Evermeet and Seveiril (a main character in that series) was given a "sapling" of the Tree of Souls.

Personally...I think the old lore got mangled either way.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2007 :  10:46:59  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I followed the discussion of the Tree of Souls onyl losely in the past. Has there been more than one tree now or was it always one and the same?!? I am confused..............

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2007 :  17:07:13  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as I know (and what it says in Evermeet:Island of Elves) there is one Tree of Souls. Which is why this whole thing got confusing... It is easy to see why mistakes were made, there is so much lore packed into Elaine's novel that I find something new everytime I read it. According to Mace Hammerhand, Mr. Baker admitted this was an oversight on his part so the whole "Auseriel being attacked by White Dragons" in GHotR is an attempt to correct this discrepancy... So, when Amlaruil tells Lamruil that the Tree should be planted on the mainland of Faerun (which she most likely foresaw) she had not been given a vision of the re-founding of Myth Drannor. She assumes that creating a new Elven settlement is how her "vision" can best come to pass... Auseriel being attacked and then Seveiril's successful Crusade makes it "clear" to her where it is to be planted... just a thought...

ShadowJack
Go to Top of Page

Celanta
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2009 :  17:21:45  Show Profile  Visit Celanta's Homepage Send Celanta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm just getting started on here so please bear with me. I read "Evermeet" and the "Last Mythal" series and the way I read it
was that what Lamruil recieved from his mother was the Tree of Souls
and what Seiveril Miritar recieved (here after known as Myth Drannor bud) was a "bud" from the tree. Amlaruil stated that they didn't know if the "Tree" would bud again. The powers of the Myth Drannor bud inhibited the demons from teleporting to attack. While the original Tree allowed high magic to be used in places other than Evermeet.

Yadira of the Gems
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2009 :  20:19:09  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Speaking of which, what exatly "is" the tree of souls? Nobodys yet mentioned why its so important.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2009 :  22:00:25  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's detailed in Elves of Evermeet sourcebook. Basically, in 2e, it allowed high magic anywhere within it's radius as well as other abilities. But with how high magic was changed in 3e, it lessened some of its abilities, in my opinion.

quote:
Originally posted by khorne

Speaking of which, what exatly "is" the tree of souls? Nobodys yet mentioned why its so important.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000