Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What happened to Maztica on Abeir?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2016 :  20:57:57  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've tried to compile a bit of a "Grand History" of my own specific to Maztica and the rest of the True World. But I really don't know what happened during its stint on Abeir.

I homebrewed a couple of things, but I honestly don't know enough about Abeir and the 4th edition to go further. I am loathe to bring dragons and dragonborn to Maztica but it is probably a necessity.

Anyone have any thoughts? Perhaps even something you yourself have homebrewed?

Here is what I have up so far for the "Grand History"

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2016 :  17:22:06  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually Seethyr, we know dragons and dragonborn are on the faerunian continent corresponding to Abeir, but we honestly don't know WHAT is on the corresponding/surrounding continents to Maztica on Abeir, because we were never truly given a definitive on the placement of Returned Abeir. For instance, Maztica as a separate continent didn't occur until AFTER Abeir and Toril were sundered (the elven creation of Evermeet caused Merrobouros to split and created Maztica), so nothing says that Abeir would have held a continent of similar shape. To add further mystery to all this, either Returned Abeir was not where Maztica had been OR Evermeet had moved south to by Maztica during the spellplague. This brings up the question now of where is Evermeet located now? When the 4e/5e Sundering happened, did it go back north to just east of Anchorome? Is it still down south by Maztica? Did Returned Abeir actually return to Abeir?

From the 4e FRCG, page 132, entry for Evermeet,
Arcana DC 40: Evermeet in fact survives in the Feywild. An echo of the fey refuge remains in Toril as an isle with the same shape and diameter, lying off the coast of the unfamiliar continent of Returned Abeir. The echo is empty of structures and has few residents. Evermeet fey can step back and forth between the echo and the Feywild’s Evermeet as they choose.

Contact points and routes between Faerūn and Evermeet were severed during the Year of Blue Fire, and they have been slow to reknit in the years since. Queen Amlaruil is gone, and the throne stands empty; Evermeet is currently governed by its Royal Council. Some suspect that a Moonflower heir yet walks Faerūn, severed from his or her native land.

Eagle Hills: From Thalikaera Rock, the highest peak of the Eagle Hills range, lookouts can see far across the surrounding waters of a Feywild sea that remains mysterious and inscrutable. The lookouts often step across into the echo to look toward Returned Abeir, watchful for dangers from that mysterious land.

From the 4e FRCG, page 87, entry on Returned abeir

Returned Abeir
A realm once forgotten is forgotten no more. When the Weave unraveled and the Spellplague collapsed the walls of reality, the antediluvian world of Abeir crashed through to Toril. The two long-separated siblings were joined anew, but only imperfectly. Portions of Abeir fell across Toril, overlaying some lands and obliterating others. In Faerūn, the realms of Akanūl and Tymanther are Abeiran seeds that germinated nations. The greatest portion of the returning world, however, replaced Maztica, the continent west of Faerūn. Now, a savage land breathes beneath a steely
sky across the Trackless Sea: Returned Abeir. Here, ancient primordials sleep while their rapacious dragon mounts of old rule vast empires. It is from Abeir that dragonborn and genasi hail, steeped in lore previously unknown in Faerūn

From the 4e FRCG, page 41, entry on Sundered Abeir when the worlds split
SUNDERED ABEIR
In the final days of the batrachi civilization (c. –31,000 DR), an unimaginable catastrophe struck Toril. It is said that the amphibioids were waging a losing war against the titan armies of Annam’s brood. In their desperation, the batrachi performed an epic ritual of summoning that released several primordials from their imprisonment. The gods quickly moved against their ancient foes, resulting in terrible earthquakes, fires, and windstorms that swept across the planet. During the tumult, a primordial calling herself Asgoroth the World Shaper even hurled an ice moon at Toril, intent on destroying the world she couldn’t claim as her own. Yet before the world was torn completely asunder, the Hidden One intervened. Lord Ao created a twin of the planet, granting the primordials dominion over the new world of Abeir and the gods control over the original world of Toril. Ancient sarrukh accounts remark on the “changing of the stars,” but until the Spellplague and the return of Abeir, very few paid these legends any heed.

From the 4e FRCG, page 42-43, entry on the First Flowering
–24,000 DR to –12,000 DR
The great elven civilizations of Aryvandaar, Illefarn, Miyeritar, Shantel Othreier, and Keltormir reached their peak during this age. As a result of the elves’ success against orc hordes, dragons, and giants, other races (including humans) thrived in safety and began the slow climb to civilization. This age also witnessed the unbridled fury of the Sundering, a disastrous invocation of high magic that cracked Merrouroboros asunder, creating the disparate continents of Faerūn, Maztica, and Katashaka. Among the turbulent waters of the newly formed ocean later known as the Trackless Sea rose the Green Isle of Evermeet, thought to be a piece of Arvandor and a bridge between worlds.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2016 :  15:23:43  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hrmmm, I guess that is both good news and bad news for homebrewing "events." There is little fear of stepping on lore since there basically is none that is specific to Maztica, but there's also very little of a framework to even start. I love the Realmsian Prehistory you quoted, so there really should be some connections drawn there.

So far, these small bullet points are all that I have homebrewed that is related to the century+ on Abeir...

1. The sky color changed from blue to the steely gray of Abeir, and then back again when it returned to Toril.
2. The clerics lost contact with their gods, but maintained that they would return again some day so they held onto most of their religious traditions.
3. Since the gods were no longer available, Mazticans needed to come to rely on themselves more. This was a good excuse to beef up the power level of the relatively weak pluma and hishna of 2nd ed. Also, it gave an excuse for the sudden appearance of sorcerers and warlocks (of which I homebrewed a few new paths unique to Maztica).
4. A new antagonist named ITzapaplotl (from Aztec myth), made herself known and with her star-demons known as the tzitzimitl, caused untold death and suffering.
5. Dinosaurs, usually the purview of Chult, started to appear within the deepest jungles.

As of right now, that's all I have. Brainstorming a bit after what you've written, I think I'd like to hold some more connections to the batrachi, but not too crazy. Dragonborn might get a small community in the nation of Pezelac since it was written as nearly empty space.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000