Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Pianos
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2016 :  01:37:26  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Do they exist in the Realms?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2016 :  04:05:33  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would believe so, however I do not recall any mention of them.
It certainly is not a musical instrument that most adventurers can carry with them.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2391 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2016 :  05:44:26  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't remember or find any mention of a piano in the Realms, but harpsichords certainly exist, so "keyboard string instrument" in general is a known concept. And there are local variants and experiments

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Edited by - TBeholder on 23 Mar 2016 05:45:38
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2016 :  10:19:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

It certainly is not a musical instrument that most adventurers can carry with them.

Bah! You underestimate my desire to make the most use of my bag of holding!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 23 Mar 2016 10:20:17
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2016 :  11:27:56  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

I can't remember or find any mention of a piano in the Realms, but harpsichords certainly exist, so "keyboard string instrument" in general is a known concept. (...)

True enough, harpsichords are available for sale in the Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue, in the "Bard's Emporium" section. No pianos there, though.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2016 :  11:58:05  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pianos don't exist because they make the summon instrument cantrip to powerful. Dropping pianos ontop of foes would be an unstoppable tactic for bards!

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2016 :  11:29:03  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Bah! A mere piano inside your bag of holding?!

My Bag of Holding is used to store my airship!
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2391 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2016 :  12:42:56  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by moonbeast

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Bah! A mere piano inside your bag of holding?!

My Bag of Holding is used to store my airship!

Why "a mere piano"? It's just that most instruments are smaller and several can be fit around it - if a piano fits in, the whole orchestra fits in. It's only limited by how many Vangerdahast's Ghost Pipes one can cast in a row!

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Edited by - TBeholder on 28 Mar 2016 12:47:03
Go to Top of Page

Starshade
Learned Scribe

Norway
279 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2016 :  20:53:59  Show Profile Send Starshade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Isnt an organ wery close? Those exist if i remember correct, as "Zulkoon", a bellows Powered organ. And I think I have read about the red wizards have attendants or servants playing on steam powered organs. If something close to a piano have not been buildt, it can't be that far off for someone to try invent one.
Go to Top of Page

Bulak
Acolyte

Netherlands
26 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2016 :  22:47:30  Show Profile Send Bulak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dulcimers exist in the Realms. A hammered dulcimer is basically a piano without keys (I.E. you hit the snares with a hammer directly instead of hitting a key that causes a hammer to strike a snare).
Go to Top of Page

see
Learned Scribe

235 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2016 :  10:12:45  Show Profile Send see a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Given the tech level of FR, the harpsichord (a late medieval instrument) is about what you would expect to get if you described a piano in general terms to an instrument-maker and they built one. If you know a lot of technical details of how piano hammers work and were working with the same instrument-maker, you might manage to get an 18th Century 'fortepiano' (the sort of instrument Mozart composed his piano music for) produced; the sound would be about intermediate between a harpsichord and a modern piano, and problematic at the high and low ends if you insisted on a piano's full 88-key range. If you went to, say, a dwarven smith, with detailed drawings and specifications of the cast-iron frame and the steel strings (or perhaps an example piano to show them), you could get a decent facsimile of a modern piano made, probably for a cost similar to plate armor.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000