Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 How would you do the The Bloodstone Lands Modules
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2016 :  23:21:35  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/The_Bloodstone_Lands_(sourcebook)

This module series is one of my first memories of the realms.

It is the module that killed orcus for an entire edition.

As a strictly fun endevor. Whom remembers it and how would you update it for the 5e era?

check out my post-post apocalyptic world at www.drevrpg.com

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2016 :  22:00:14  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SPOILERS FOR THE H SERIES! (though after 30+ years, do I have to say this?)

H2 is literally my first ever FR product. I asked my parents to buy it for me because of the cover. Great memories! Remember, not only did you have to kill Orcus and take his wand, you might have to fight off an entire city of liches (H4 I believe) and kill Tiamat, simply so you could immerse Orcus' Wand in her heart blood. For some reason, that gave you a powerful gem, that grew a tree which would forever prevent all demons from entering your home country. Oh yeah, you were level 100 and named Hercules.

As a 10 year old, it somehow all made sense to me!

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2016 :  00:34:52  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One thing I'd just note, around the time that all of this is going on, the Time of Troubles happens. It happened in 1358 from Kythorn 15 (basically July 15th) to Marpenoth 15 (basically October 15). King Virdin Bloodfeather dies to Zhengyi in Kythorn of 1357 (Bloodstone Lands history says June) and 1359 is when Gareth and Company actually returns after breaking Orcus' wand. So, smack in the middle of all this is when the gods descend to the world. Were Orcus' followers still receiving spells? Is this how Zhengyi managed to conquer things so readily?

I've never actually played the first parts of this series, only coming in at the end, but I have run a campaign in the area for around this time based upon the history in bloodstone lands.

I'd personally play through the end of the war with Zhengyi (I in fact have done this), first building up King Virdin Bloodfeathers and many of his noble officers as great people. I'd then have the shock value of all of them getting killed by the Citadel of Assassins, but only reveal this to the players slowly (i.e. have them in camp learn that nobleman X is dead, then the next town over they're talking about others dying, then they move on and find out all the nobility is dead and that people are wondering who is actually in charge).

So, then from Kythorn/July of 1357 to probably the next year span, we have this time in which the new baronies are setup, Zhengyi puts new rulers in place in Southern Damara, and the Citadel of Assassins starts demanding tribute in the form of slaves and gold from the barony of Bloodstone.

Then BLAM the heroes of bloodstone (Gareth and company) rise up against the Grandfather of Assassins and the Bandit Army.... then BLAM the time of troubles happens (not noted in the history, but this has got to have some effect)...

Ostensibly, in bloodstone lands we hear that in "September" which I'd assume is in 1358... which would be right as the ToT is ending... there's torrential rains, followed by the events of the Mines of Bloodstone... then a lean, hungry winter..... followed by in Spring of 1359 the wars start happening... then at some point presumably a few months later Gareth and Company head into the Abyss and spend some time there working through the enemies before returning.

Therefore, you can see how fast all this is happening. Realistically we have people talking about building villages all while having wars and starving, etc... There should be so much confusion about what's going on so as to make the average person's head spin.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000