Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Calimport
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

bane
Acolyte

Australia
6 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2004 :  05:21:26  Show Profile  Visit bane's Homepage Send bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
This is a arabian style ciry with people with bright coloured turbans, magic carpets and what not.
Can people tell me more about this place?
Thanks

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2004 :  06:08:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was a 96 page supplement released for it under 2nd edition rules... I think I've seen it on eBay recently.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2004 :  06:32:14  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... this info is all going to be coming off the top of my head so if there are any errors in my info, please feel free to point them out.

Calimport is the capital city of the Calimshan Empire. It's probably the largest city in the Sword Coast, if not all of Faerun. Just the market of Calimport is supposedly the size of like a ward of Waterdeep. Calimport has a huge criminal underworld that has extensive ties with the government and it exists mostly in the Docks section, since the richer and better sections are protected by guards. The biggest guilds; the Basadoni guild, the Rakers, etc, basically control the docks and also many parts of Calimport. The leaders of these guilds are all powerful and imposing figures that influence many of the everyday events in Calimport.

bane, if you want more info on Calimport, go to Wizard's website and download the manual for free in the download section.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2004 :  06:54:40  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's the link DDH mentioned. :) Scroll down a bit and it's in the list.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/downloads

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Charon
Acolyte

Australia
16 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2004 :  05:48:59  Show Profile  Visit Charon's Homepage Send Charon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Two Words: ARTEMIS and ENTRERI!

we...are...legion
Go to Top of Page

fanatic
Acolyte

Austria
34 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2004 :  08:25:46  Show Profile  Visit fanatic's Homepage Send fanatic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you think that hitīs it?`

i think there is much more to explore in calimport. well yes itīs the place where artemis grew up, but is that the only fascinating thing there?

danilo thann was there too and had "meetings" with the assasins guild.
tazien traveled there to get her revenge on the bad guy of "sands of soul" (canīt remember his name)

well i think there is more to this place than meets the eye.

even fantasy has itīs limits
Go to Top of Page

Jacinth Greyfox
Acolyte

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2004 :  17:32:47  Show Profile  Visit Jacinth Greyfox's Homepage Send Jacinth Greyfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wasn't the Harper Novel, "The Night Parade" set in Calimport? An regular outer-planar incursion intended to harvest the children of the city?

The Throne or the Tomb!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2004 :  17:38:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jacinth Greyfox

Wasn't the Harper Novel, "The Night Parade" set in Calimport? An regular outer-planar incursion intended to harvest the children of the city?

I believe you are correct... Though it's been a while since I read that novel. It's far from my list of favorites...

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2004 :  18:19:08  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Jacinth Greyfox

I believe you are correct... Though it's been a while since I read that novel. It's far from my list of favorites...

Too bad; I rather enjoyed NIGHT PARADE as a departure from standard sword & sorcery tropes. It was like the difference between reading a Batman story and a Doom Patrol story.

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2004 :  18:23:33  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

Hmmm... this info is all going to be coming off the top of my head so if there are any errors in my info, please feel free to point them out.

Calimport is the capital city of the Calimshan Empire. It's probably the largest city in the Sword Coast, if not all of Faerun. Just the market of Calimport is supposedly the size of like a ward of Waterdeep. Calimport has a huge criminal underworld that has extensive ties with the government and it exists mostly in the Docks section, since the richer and better sections are protected by guards. The biggest guilds; the Basadoni guild, the Rakers, etc, basically control the docks and also many parts of Calimport. The leaders of these guilds are all powerful and imposing figures that influence many of the everyday events in Calimport.

bane, if you want more info on Calimport, go to Wizard's website and download the manual for free in the download section.

The only correction I'd mention here is that the underworld of Calimport is bigger than noted. The Calimport Muzad exists all over the city and instead of it being like Waterdeep with sewers and then the dungeons, there's a whole city ala Skullport in areas where the city simply built over old neighborhoods, etc. All told, you might have at least as much space as four wards of Waterdeep beneath the city that are fully inhabited and used as bases for criminal activity. Add that to a temple complex to Shar that is about the size of the Vatican City and/or the City of the Dead (at least) in Waterdeep.

Steven
Who would love to write a novel some time down thataways but figures Bob Salvatore has first dibs as most fans would expect an Artemis Entreri story

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Charon
Acolyte

Australia
16 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2004 :  03:38:29  Show Profile  Visit Charon's Homepage Send Charon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fanatic

you think that hitīs it?`

i think there is much more to explore in calimport. well yes itīs the place where artemis grew up, but is that the only fascinating thing there?

danilo thann was there too and had "meetings" with the assasins guild.
tazien traveled there to get her revenge on the bad guy of "sands of soul" (canīt remember his name)

well i think there is more to this place than meets the eye.

yes, not only grew up but changed, affected and literally ruled the underworld of Calimport...i would like to know more however about these other things you spoke of fanatic

we...are...legion
Go to Top of Page

fanatic
Acolyte

Austria
34 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2004 :  08:41:51  Show Profile  Visit fanatic's Homepage Send fanatic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thazien -> sembia series book 5 (?) title Sands of soul.
thazi teleports froms selgaunt to calimport, where she starts her serch for (i think he was a wraith) a sorcerer whom she kills (what a surprise)

the other thing is deep down somwhere in my brain since itīs years time i read the books. -> danilo Thann and his half elven assasin companion (yes, she who weakds a moonblade) ahhhhh -> arlin moonblade (i think thats it).
(same series where elaith craulnobler appears)
books by elain cunningham
elfsong, elfshadow, .....

even fantasy has itīs limits
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2004 :  08:52:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Too bad; I rather enjoyed NIGHT PARADE as a departure from standard sword & sorcery tropes. It was like the difference between reading a Batman story and a Doom Patrol story.

Steven

That one just never grabbed me like some of the other books have...

Perhaps I should give it a second chance. The Lord of the Rings trilogy didn't grab me when I read it in HS, but when I re-read it right before the first movie came out, I found it immensely enjoyable...

Go to Top of Page

Charon
Acolyte

Australia
16 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2004 :  04:12:50  Show Profile  Visit Charon's Homepage Send Charon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fanatic

thazien -> sembia series book 5 (?) title Sands of soul.
thazi teleports froms selgaunt to calimport, where she starts her serch for (i think he was a wraith) a sorcerer whom she kills (what a surprise)

the other thing is deep down somwhere in my brain since itīs years time i read the books. -> danilo Thann and his half elven assasin companion (yes, she who weakds a moonblade) ahhhhh -> arlin moonblade (i think thats it).
(same series where elaith craulnobler appears)
books by elain cunningham
elfsong, elfshadow, .....

thank you deeply friend

we...are...legion
Go to Top of Page

jinat
Acolyte

35 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2004 :  18:07:53  Show Profile  Visit jinat's Homepage Send jinat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know what i dont get is that if Calimshan is all bright turbins and flying carpets - why is Artemise Entreri so greek sounding.
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2004 :  18:38:37  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greek sounding? When has Entreri ever talked like a Greek? In fact, how can you even tell how any of the characters sound or talk like? The only ones that we can guess on are the dwarves in RAS's books who have that Scottish-style speech.

Edited by - DDH_101 on 24 Aug 2004 18:43:46
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2004 :  20:17:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

Greek sounding? When has Entreri ever talked like a Greek? In fact, how can you even tell how any of the characters sound or talk like? The only ones that we can guess on are the dwarves in RAS's books who have that Scottish-style speech.

Perhaps he was referring to the name, Artemis Entreri, and not how he spoke. After all, Artemis is the name of a Greek goddess.

Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2004 :  03:16:40  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, there's many times where the names of characters don't even seem to fit Forgotten Realms at all. For example, I just finished reading The Rage and there's a priest of Lathander in there named Pavel. Pavel is a Russian name and didn't exactly fit into FR but sometimes that's how things go.

Go to Top of Page

Cherrn
Learned Scribe

Denmark
323 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2004 :  04:58:16  Show Profile Send Cherrn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe that is because people from The Vast generally have Russian sounding names DDH_101

A wise man from Calimport once told me: "If a merchant puts sand in the flask of oil he's trying to sell you, then he isn't trying to sell you sand..."
Go to Top of Page

jinat
Acolyte

35 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2004 :  11:58:21  Show Profile  Visit jinat's Homepage Send jinat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cherrn

I believe that is because people from The Vast generally have Russian sounding names DDH_101

Thats my understanding too about the Vast.
Ive always had a problem with cultural inconsistency and naming conventions in FR. Dont get me wrong thou before people get offended - FR is still one of my fav shared world.
For example why do we have Akbar Bel Akash from Turmish and then suddenly we have "Jewel of Turmish" which represents a totally different culture from what was presented in the "Finders Stone" books.
Why is Bruenor's hammer called 'Aegis-Fang'
Back to Artemise, i dont think his name suits a native of Calimshan at all.
Go to Top of Page

Cherrn
Learned Scribe

Denmark
323 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2004 :  14:19:01  Show Profile Send Cherrn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But isn't Artemis a native from Tethyr, who moved to Calimport ?

A wise man from Calimport once told me: "If a merchant puts sand in the flask of oil he's trying to sell you, then he isn't trying to sell you sand..."
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2004 :  19:38:58  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cherrn, I think you are correct. Artemis was like a slave of some sort and he was delivered to Calimport.

Go to Top of Page

jinat
Acolyte

35 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2004 :  12:42:05  Show Profile  Visit jinat's Homepage Send jinat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah - now that explains a lot. For the longest time ive had trouble with his name, finally someone has made things clear - thankx. Back to the flavor of Calimshan. The bedine of Anarouch, Calimshan, Turmish and Zakhara all seem to be of similar cultural backgrounds. Are there any others, and are the people of the same ethnic stock. I know the bedine are originally from Zakhara - but what about the others?
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2004 :  15:19:39  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Nope. Here are male names from the Polyhedron articles on the Vast: Beliost, Galzar, Shaeld, Bluth, Nym, Buirin, Iljack, Ondreth, Naer, Glaurauth, Oblin, Kurth, Feljack, Uligker, Shondarl, Klonalogh, Rulisqer. Female names: Alaith, Riliyyn, Nionel, Lauryn, Mreeiel, Chyndrie, Satcheera, Shandreth. Pavel would be a bad name for Rashemen (which has a Russian influence but not literal Russian names), and worse still for the Vast (despite the crazy retcon that the people of Damara, which wasn't part of the Realms until 1987, are a major ethnic group). Giving a Calishite (Artemis was born in Memnon) or a Tethyrian or anyone in the Realms the name of a Greek goddess is lousy naming too.

Edited by - Faraer on 26 Aug 2004 15:27:58
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2004 :  15:32:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Giving a Calishite (Artemis was born in Memnon) or a Tethyrian or anyone in the Realms the name of a Greek goddess is lousy naming too.

Yeah, I'll agree with that one.

Go to Top of Page

Cherrn
Learned Scribe

Denmark
323 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2004 :  17:14:08  Show Profile Send Cherrn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, looking at the Vast in the Pgtf I see that the majority of people are of Damaran stock. Then looking at the FRCS for Damaran names I find this:

Male: Bor, Fodel, Glar, Grigor, Igan, Ivor, Kosef, Mival, Orel, Pavel, Sergor. Female: Alethra, Kara, Katernin, Mara, Natali, Olma, Tana, Zora. Surnames: Bersk, Chernin, Dotsk, Kulenov, Marsk, Nemetsk, Shemov, Starag.

Sounds like generally Russian sounding names to me.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2004 :  18:41:59  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First, I'm sceptical of the whole idea of people in the Heartlands being racially from this region that was placed on a glacier in order to tie the horrible H-series modules to the Realms. But even if you accept that, it doesn't mean the Vast has the same culture as Damara -- which is heavily based on Eastern Europe and Russia, unlike Ed's Realms which never works that way. And we have scores of attested, incontrovertible names from the Vast, from FRA's writeups of Calaunt, Procampur and Tantras, FRE2 Tantras, "Everwinking Eye" articles on Maskyr's Eye and the rest of the Vast (reprinted in City of Ravens Bluff) -- and none of them are Russian-based.

Edited by - Faraer on 26 Aug 2004 18:45:17
Go to Top of Page

Cherrn
Learned Scribe

Denmark
323 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2004 :  03:26:52  Show Profile Send Cherrn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Still, the Vast could still have gotten a large influx of people from Damara when their time of greatness came to an end, hence the large majority of Russian sounding names.

Go to Top of Page

Smyther
Learned Scribe

Canada
121 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2005 :  18:43:29  Show Profile  Visit Smyther's Homepage Send Smyther a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there anything on Calimport in other supplements that hasn't been said in the 'Calimport' resource?
I know of 'Empires of the Sands,' and I'm sure there are others that include Calimshan (any new 3e supplements out there or coming?), but I wonder whether all that is needed on the city itself is contained within the booklet by Steven Schend?

In addition, Steven, if you read this, is there any information of Calimport of yours that never got in? Perhaps some tidbits on the Muzad?

So sayeth the Smyther, the Dark Bard of Amn.
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2005 :  21:47:51  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the Drizzt books the city is visited and some feeling of life in that city can be gleaned from those books. I don't recall of the top of my head which books specifically visit Calimport, but I'm sure some of the other scribes will chime in.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2005 :  21:58:05  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know though, looking back on it, as much as I liked Servant of the Shard . . . in a city the size of Calimport, with all of the different guilds and crimelords, how did Artemis end up really being "The One" in charge of everything. I know the book spelled out the factions involved and all, but the city seems much smaller in that book than it was presented in say Calimport, Empires of the Sands, or any of the other sourcebooks . . .
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000