Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Jordain crunch conversions to 5E
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2016 :  19:46:03  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Comments welcome.

Way of the Jordain
Most choose Sage background. Few jordain’s leave House Jordain before achieving 3rd level.

Arcane Spell Resistance
Starting when you choose this tradition at 3rd level, you gain advantage on saving throws against arcane spells and other magical effects. This resistance has no affect on spells or magic effects with a divine or psionic origin. You cannot lower this resistance for beneficial spells.
You also gain a saving throw to avoid being targeted by arcane divination spells or perceived through arcane magical scrying sensors (and also have advantage on that saving throw). The Wisdom DC to resist the divination magic is determined as it would be for any other spell.
The DM should determine whether or not a monster’s or magic item’s spell-like abilities are arcane in nature. As a general guideline, monster spell-like abilities should usually be treated as arcane unless the monster is from the astral or outer planes or the ability is labeled as psionic.

Eidetic Memory
Beginning at 3rd level, you have trained so deeply in logic and mnemonics that you gain proficiency in Investigation and can apply your proficiency bonus to all Intelligence checks to remember or commit things to memory.

Body Guard
Starting at 6th level, you have learned to defend your master from attacks.
When a creature you can see attacks a target other than you that is within 5 feet of you, you can use your reaction to impose disadvantage on the attack roll (including from spells). Your hands must be free.

Expertise
Beginning at 6th level, choose two of your Intelligence or Wisdom-based skill proficiencies. Your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make that uses either of the chosen proficiencies.

Counterspell
Starting at 11th level, you gain the ability to counter arcane spells as the counterspell spell (PH 228) cast at spell slot equal to half your level rounded up. You can’t use this feature again until you complete a short or long rest. You use Wisdom for this ability and apply your proficiency bonus.

Anti-Arcane Magic Field
Beginning at 17th level, you can focus your arcane spell resistance to create an antimagic field as the spell (PH 213), except it only effects arcane magic. The field has no affect on spells or magic effects with divine or psionic origin. You can’t use this feature again until you finish a long rest.

Improved Counterspell
Beginning at 17th level, the casting time of your counterspell class feature changes to when you see a creature within 150 feet of you casting a spell, the range increases to 150 feet, and you gain advantage on your Wisdom ability check.
#8195;

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2016 :  20:12:44  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bear in mind that some of the terminology of 3.0/3.5 didn't necessarily creep back into 5e. For instance, "arcane magic".... I don't think that there is a reference to bards being arcane magic users, nor warlocks, etc... Similarly for divine magic, though on that I don't think you'd run across much confusion.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2016 :  13:49:21  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I struggled with that a bit, but didn't see a way around it. There is some distinction in the PH chapter on magic and in the SCAG, but its not as prominent as it was in 3E or 4E.
Go to Top of Page

JohnLynch
Learned Scribe

Australia
243 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2016 :  09:22:32  Show Profile Send JohnLynch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a bit confused by how Improved Counterspell works, but otherwise it looks pretty good to me. I don't know a way around the arcane magic wording issue, but I like it being the anti-Mage as opposed to just anti-magic.

DM of the Realms: A blog for my Forgotten Realms adventures.
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2016 :  01:42:41  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Improved Counterspell works as the spell counterspell, except under casting time where it says "when you see a creature within 60 feet of you casting a spell" that increases to 150 ft, as does the range. In addition, you gain advantage on the ability (in this case Wisdom) check you make if the creature is casting a 9th level spell. I suppose the latter is kind of moot since its only good for one level, so I'll ditch it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000