Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 D&D Miniatures
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2016 :  01:07:19  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Am I the only one that still collects these things? I sense that the majority of Candlekeepers are more book-worms and loreworms than traditionalist tabletop gamers. But to me, I remember back in the oooooold TSR days, when I was a cash-starved teenager, the allure of minis (lead minis in those days) was part of what captured our imaginations.

Anyways, I'm not ashamed to say that I'm still collecting the pre-painted D&D minis, although I don't buy everything that comes out, I pick and choose what is relevant to my campaign. I'm also open-minded in that I buy non-WotC minis as well, as long as they can be useful in the D&D game world.

To this end, I'm happy with the arrival of my latest pre-order….. the Pathfinder Rusty Dragon Inn minis! I bought the case incentive, which is the Tavern Bar itself. Gorgeous! The Rusty Dragon Inn theme is pure awesome, because it gives me a lot of "townfolk" minis — like a Serving Girl (Wench), a Merchant, an Aristocrat, a Cutpurse, several interesting "tavern bard" minis, a draft horse, miniature tavern tables, etc.

In the world of high fantasy….. a good adventure always starts in the local Tavern. This series (Rusty Dragon Inn) is one of the most useful because it's loaded with civilian NPCs. And some furniture.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2016 :  01:18:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Never got into them, myself... After spending way too much money, back in the day, on various CCGs, I developed an aversion to any collectible bought blind. I'll be the Collectible Lego minifigs blind, but only a handful -- then I go to Bricklink and get the ones I want.

Back on topic, though, I've never been particularly enthusiastic about the D&D minis. Some of them have been nice, but a lot have been meh.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2016 :  03:23:25  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love minis too and that pretty much sums it up, back in the teenage days before I got my first job had to prioritize what I spent cash on. Still have 10 or 20 of them squirreled away around here somewhere. Used to use them to mark party formation. And there was a few times we used the old Heroes Quest (think that's the name of it) board to setup little dungeons to move them through during game time.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2016 :  13:55:02  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I don't consider myself a collector, per se, I do have a pretty healthy collection of the pre-painted D&D minis that have come out through the various years. I started getting them when grid-based tactics became more of a thing in 3.5 (though we've used the pewter ones even back to AD&D) and now I buy ones that fit certain characters I create, like the Air Genasi for my 4e Genasi warlord or the Hound Archon for my Longtooth Shifter Paladin.

Often I use the mini as a starting point for character creation and work from there
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2016 :  14:56:08  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never got into the minis.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2016 :  15:10:27  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got a ''Champion of Eilistraee'' mini, but that's just because Eilistraee is my favourite goddess, and I liked the pose. Overall, I'm not really into minis, which is kinda weird, since I used to play Warhammer back when I was like 16.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2016 :  15:47:32  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll have to dig mine up someday. I have a Drizzt, couple dwarves, an assassin, evil priest, a few drow and some others. I tend to keep them put away or my daughter will want to play with them and well you know, lead and all that. Heh. I haven't seen them in stores for sale around here in many years.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2016 :  17:28:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do have a fair number of non-D&D minis... Most of my BattleTech minis melted away in the fire, but I still have a handful of Mechs and two or three Points of Protos. I've got a buttload of Warmachine minis... And since the last Pathfinder campaign I played was set in a modified version of the Iron Kingdoms, I used a Gun Mage Captain Adept figure to represent my Gun Mage PC.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2016 :  17:44:22  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BattleTech was good times. I remember blowing limbs of enemies then using said appendage as a club for some massive damage.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000