Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Novels Translations
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MGMGambit
Acolyte

Brazil
3 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2015 :  00:44:11  Show Profile Send MGMGambit a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello there,

Need to know who do I must contact to talk about translation and publishing of forgotten realms novels in another language? The authors or WotC?

If the authors, how do I get in touch with them?

If WotC, I have no idea who to contact there.

Could you please give me a hand on that?

I have all the projects, business plans, the best translators and just need to talk about the main issue

My best regards,

Marcelo

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2015 :  03:59:09  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Definitely not the authors. WotC main webpage should have contact info.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2015 :  15:26:29  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which language would you aim for? AFAIK the novels are still translated to different languages even after WotC killed the foreign language editions of the actual game rules

Edited by - Mirtek on 16 Dec 2015 15:28:49
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2015 :  15:34:37  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd assume he's interested in translating them to Portuguese.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2015 :  15:41:08  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

I'd assume he's interested in translating them to Portuguese.

Yeah, that would make sense. Didn't notice his location before

I was surprised recently by seeing the german version of Night of the Hunter on the shelves, as I thought all translations for all D&D products were killed, not just the game rules.

Maybe it's only because Drizzt sells so much that WotC doesn't dare touching these novels in any language or maybe novels in general get still translated

Edited by - Mirtek on 16 Dec 2015 15:43:11
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2015 :  16:18:09  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wait. Portugese isn't catered for? But Dungeons & Dragons is massive in Brazil...

Is Devir still publishing for WotC there? Cuz there've been complaints about them since 2007 AFAIK.

Maybe try importing from Portugal? I heard they have things a *little* better.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/

Edited by - hashimashadoo on 16 Dec 2015 16:22:16
Go to Top of Page

MGMGambit
Acolyte

Brazil
3 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2015 :  21:36:40  Show Profile Send MGMGambit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep the idea is to translate to brazilian portuguese.

Im not sure about Devir, they released icewind dale trilogy almost 10 years ago and they released the DL legend of the twins 2 years ago, but the second book still a mistery.

The only thing I know about them is related with their Distribution rights in Brazil, now they are not the only distributor in brazil since 2013.
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2015 :  01:09:32  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I'm assuming that a Brazilian importing books from Portugal is far from ideal. We speak the same language, but the differences in wording can be really annoying.

Regardless, the only FR books that were translated to Portuguese over here were the first two Drizzt trilogies a couple of years back. Given that they didn't release any more Drizzt books I'm assuming that they didn't do well.

I'm not terribly surprised though. If most FR fans are like me, they gave up on Portuguese translations a long time ago and just import everything. Not only can we get the books much earlier, they're cheaper too.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

MGMGambit
Acolyte

Brazil
3 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2015 :  14:10:08  Show Profile Send MGMGambit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its true same language different wording.

The great problem here today is the book price, I dont understand why they like to use the most white paper. This process is very expensive, look at the sucess of the mass trade paperback. why dont use that and sell to a lot of people?

The project is going this way and will offer the best price ever seen, as others said above, we have a massive amount of players here and 60% +- dont read english.

Another thing that is happening concerns the rules, no books in portuguese for 5.0 incresed the number of new games in 85% in just one year.

Until now no replies from WotC

quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

Well, I'm assuming that a Brazilian importing books from Portugal is far from ideal. We speak the same language, but the differences in wording can be really annoying.

Regardless, the only FR books that were translated to Portuguese over here were the first two Drizzt trilogies a couple of years back. Given that they didn't release any more Drizzt books I'm assuming that they didn't do well.

I'm not terribly surprised though. If most FR fans are like me, they gave up on Portuguese translations a long time ago and just import everything. Not only can we get the books much earlier, they're cheaper too.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000