Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 High elf noble families
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mask
Learned Scribe

104 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2006 :  19:04:38  Show Profile  Visit Mask's Homepage Send Mask a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings fellow scribes (although I doubt I should call myself a scribe),

I have a question. In an upcoming campaign I'm going to play an high elf of possibly noble descent. I have read Elves of Evermeet with much joy, but I do not own a copy myself and it's been a while since I've read it. I was wondering, because of your infinite wisdom and knowledge, if you could tell me some of the noble family names.

I know about the Nimesin and Durothil family, but I don't really want to play an elf from those families. I would like to be from a family that's not very haughty/arrogant towards other elven subraces (although I don't mind about the other races).

So if you could suggest a particular family, that would be even better, but the names of certain families are sufficient in my eyes.

Thank you very much for your time.

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2006 :  19:53:37  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Look through the Cormanthyr sourcebook. It's free on WOTC web page. Cues Wooly. Linkage. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 21 Sep 2006 21:20:45
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2006 :  20:52:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Looks through the Cormanthyr sourcebook. It's free on WOTC web page. Cues Wooly. Linkage. :)

*grins* Believe it or not, Linkage is the name of the work version of the HTML page that has all my links and everything... The home version is Linkies.

Anyway... Here's the link to the Wizards downloads page.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2006 :  21:21:04  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Looks through the Cormanthyr sourcebook. It's free on WOTC web page. Cues Wooly. Linkage. :)

*grins* Believe it or not, Linkage is the name of the work version of the HTML page that has all my links and everything... The home version is Linkies.

Anyway... Here's the link to the Wizards downloads page.

Knifty. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2006 :  01:25:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed's Elminster in Myth Drannor contains some various tidbits on the elven noble families as well.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2006 :  03:33:25  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i'll second that cormanthyr book as a source for you. it specifically details dozens of noble families including agendas archmages elders etc.

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Mask
Learned Scribe

104 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2006 :  16:26:01  Show Profile  Visit Mask's Homepage Send Mask a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome! Thanks alot people. I knew you wouldn't let me down.

Nothing is impossible!
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2006 :  00:02:38  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, note that the Durothils have historically always been described as the paragon of Lawful and Good Elven virtue and honor. I never saw them as really haughty myself. :)

Nimesin, on the other hand.. Eh..

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Dungeon Moron
Acolyte

41 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2006 :  16:24:37  Show Profile Send Dungeon Moron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another question related to this topic:

I wish to find a rather conservative and ancient Gold Elf family who migrated to Evermeet after the Fall of Myth Drannor and resides there still.
That is all that the profile consists off.

My thanks
Go to Top of Page

Alediran
Acolyte

Argentina
36 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2006 :  17:01:24  Show Profile  Visit Alediran's Homepage Send Alediran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are many Durothils residents of Myth Drannor who did that.

Alediran of House Tir'ent from Evermeet, the most knowledgeable elven family about Faerūn.

- Member of the Elven Netbook proyect
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2006 :  17:42:30  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course that I'll suggest Mistrivvin clan (all about them is in mentioned downloadable sources, though I have a lot of homebrew history)

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2006 :  17:50:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can check the resources we've already linked to, or check out Elves of Evermeet.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2015 :  13:01:54  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

Also, note that the Durothils have historically always been described as the paragon of Lawful and Good Elven virtue and honor. I never saw them as really haughty myself. :)

Durothils are known as the oldest surviving Gold elf clan and one of the most widespread, too (they had enough of good sense to remove themselves from Aryvandaar when the fan began to take direct hits)...
But where this Lawful and Good comes from?
Prominent Members:
  Patriarch/Lord Speaker: Laosx Durothil (N gold em R7)
  Clan Heir: Vhoorhin Durothil (CG gold em W1/F1)
  Clan Elder: Uschymna Durothil (LG moon elf W22; High Mage);
  Clan Archmage: Kuornos Durothil 'The Starseer' (LN gold em W21)
  baelnorn: Lady Synnorha Durothil (LG gold elf baelnorn W20)
Lady Ahskahala Durothil (CG gold ef F16)

- C:EoE.
There is some trend toward L and G, but that's it. Not exactly a House of paladins or something, nor is it unique for them.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2015 :  07:01:30  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, first time I've logged in in.. Forever. Ahem.

The NPCs you pointed out, I believe, prove my point pretty well. The Cormanthyr product was printed for 2E, when demihuman alignment tendencies were more strongly cleaved to in published NPCs. Considering "most Elves" were CG then, the fact that there's THREE Lawful ones and one Neutral one vs. two Chaotics means the Durothils very strongly favor Lawfulness for Elves.

Planescape Fanatic

"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Elven Avenger
Acolyte

Brazil
27 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2015 :  11:52:27  Show Profile Send Elven Avenger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow! GothicDan! Time to speak about elves and lawful tendencies towards them again! Long time no see, welcome back, if I may say so! Haha!

A time ago you started an article about the Crown Wars, have you finished it?
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2015 :  14:19:23  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ha, thanks for the warm welcome!

And.. That was so long ago, I didn't even remember. I've had a pretty tumultuous few years.

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000