Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Any sort of Demonic or Infernal Nature/Fey power?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2015 :  05:04:09  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Looking for something that is demonic or infernal that mixes with the powers of nature or fey. Looking for a power of noteworthy that would seek to corrupt Druid power, unlike the normal arcane or clercial divine power sources.

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2015 :  07:39:03  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks to a pact between Pale Night and a former consort of the Eladrin of the Court of Stars, her Abyssal layer has about 100 or so fey and eladrin inhabitants. Their good and natural influence has changed part of Androlynne. It works both ways though, and some of the fey have instead been influenced by the Abyss and could be a source of power.

There's the beast-cults of Baphomet - popular among rangers who want vengeance against civilised government.

Zuggtmoy of course represents demonic plant creatures and fungal growths.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I'd have to really hit the books to help more.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2015 :  09:07:19  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd go with the Queen of Air & Darkness. She may not be demonic (or she might be, in your campaign), but she is intimately connected with the fey and if you allow the connection with Auril, she gains a strong motive for corrupting druids.
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2015 :  05:12:18  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

Thanks to a pact between Pale Night and a former consort of the Eladrin of the Court of Stars, her Abyssal layer has about 100 or so fey and eladrin inhabitants. Their good and natural influence has changed part of Androlynne. It works both ways though, and some of the fey have instead been influenced by the Abyss and could be a source of power.

There's the beast-cults of Baphomet - popular among rangers who want vengeance against civilised government.

Ah yes, almost forgot about Baphomet…. popular with savage beastly types. There's also Malar, an evil beastly "savage nature" deity…. but I'm not sure if Malar resides in any of the demonic/infernal planes?
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2015 :  11:12:39  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Baphomet always struck me as a subversion of the savage beast trope, considering his magical genetic engineering habits.

As for Malar, he lives in Carceri. Umberlee's the one who has a domain in the Abyss.
Go to Top of Page

Korginard
Learned Scribe

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2015 :  14:26:10  Show Profile  Visit Korginard's Homepage Send Korginard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To most, Nature and Druids mean pastoral forests and green growing things, but a Druid could also follow the cycle of rot and regrowth and be tempted by entities like Zuggtomy and Moander. Most folk saw Moander as pure evil, but I could see a Druid caught up with him as a force for change, eating away the corruption of civilized folk and making way for regrowth of the wild. I had thought this wasn't very Fey.. but what's more Fey than toadstools?
This makes me imagine a hybrid Druid/Warlock with devastating powers of rot, and more subtle abilities involving fungal spores. They could even have "zombified" servants like a Yellow Musk Creeper would.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2015 :  14:35:57  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually came up with a Warlock Pact of Decay and Corruption. The background of that is people have made a pilgrimage to Moander's Road and have made a pact with the essence that still lingers there.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2015 :  00:43:30  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

Baphomet always struck me as a subversion of the savage beast trope, considering his magical genetic engineering habits.

As for Malar, he lives in Carceri. Umberlee's the one who has a domain in the Abyss.

Interesting!

So Malar is in Carceri…. which is clearly one of the Lower Planes, but not necessarily a demonic plane (Abyss) or an infernal one (Nine Hells). So he is likely (unless some source wrote otherwise) neither demon nor devil…. but just another Lower Plane Deity. Many Mezzoloths also reside in the lower planes between the Abyss and the Hells. The Loths are still considered "fiends" of the lower planes, but they are neither demon nor devil.

I wasn't aware that Umberlee has a domain in the Abyss. But does that make her a demon lord by default?
Go to Top of Page

Korginard
Learned Scribe

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2015 :  17:08:47  Show Profile  Visit Korginard's Homepage Send Korginard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
So Malar is in Carceri…. which is clearly one of the Lower Planes, but not necessarily a demonic plane (Abyss) or an infernal one (Nine Hells). So he is likely (unless some source wrote otherwise) neither demon nor devil…. but just another Lower Plane Deity. Many Mezzoloths also reside in the lower planes between the Abyss and the Hells. The Loths are still considered "fiends" of the lower planes, but they are neither demon nor devil.

I wasn't aware that Umberlee has a domain in the Abyss. But does that make her a demon lord by default?

I don't think so. For the most part, Gods are Gods regardless of their address. Having a domain in Hell does not mean they are a Devil any more than having a Domain in the Heavens makes them an Angel.
There are some exceptions like Asmodeous who is both God and Devil, and Lolth who is a Demon Queen and a Goddess.
Now, just because Umberlee is not a Demon doesn't mean she doesn't have demons serving her. Her domain in the Abyss probably has all kinds of aquatic demons and aquatic creatures with abyssal traits.
The 2nd and 3rd edition rules regarding the planes gave the impression that the Evil Gods in Hell and the Abyss were interlopers (Not Devils or Demons or native to those planes), but were powerful enough that the Arch-Devils and Demon Lords steered well clear of them.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000