Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Library Card?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2015 :  15:12:28  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
How does one go about perusing the books in the library? Is it open to all and sundry? What about very old or valuable books? If you are not allowed to "borrow" them can you make your own copies?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2015 :  15:56:11  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Best bet is to stop by your local library and find out. IF they let you copy an entire book, you are probably going to have to pay for the copy machine.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2015 :  16:35:30  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I kind of meant the books hoarded and guarded inside the IG Candlekeep

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2015 :  16:54:17  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

I kind of meant the books hoarded and guarded inside the IG Candlekeep

Ah I see. Don't be afraid to cast remove ambiguity next time.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2015 :  21:32:35  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was a large writeup in the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide about that kind of thing. Apparently, after you pay the entry fee, you tell a resident scribe what topics you wish to study, and they bring you the relevant scrolls.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2015 :  22:08:55  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/ck_scroll.htm

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2015 :  02:08:05  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Jeremy. I've yet to read the entire scroll you linked to (thanks for that as well). If a party were to bring in an extremely rare book, would the monks be satisfied copying the information or would they demand the book itself? Also, if one were to offer a "tithe" to the library, would that allow them access to the library. A 10,000 GP book is a hefty price.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2015 :  02:14:20  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That seems awfully elitest to me. If a farmer wanted information on how to grow a certain crop,that information would be denied?

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2015 :  02:28:46  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Suppose that a group, family, house, organiziation contributed yearly to allow members access, would that permit the entrance? For that matter how about a fat pouch of GP's?

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2015 :  03:30:56  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

There was a large writeup in the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide about that kind of thing. Apparently, after you pay the entry fee, you tell a resident scribe what topics you wish to study, and they bring you the relevant scrolls.

Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, not sure I've got that. I will look. Thanks for the heads up

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2015 :  06:40:13  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Thank you, Jeremy. I've yet to read the entire scroll you linked to (thanks for that as well). If a party were to bring in an extremely rare book, would the monks be satisfied copying the information or would they demand the book itself? Also, if one were to offer a "tithe" to the library, would that allow them access to the library. A 10,000 GP book is a hefty price.

You're welcome!

And I agree: the 10k number is pretty steep.

Let me know when you've read all the way through. If there's anything you're still not sure on then we can all figure it out.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

kysus
Learned Scribe

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2015 :  09:02:02  Show Profile  Visit kysus's Homepage Send kysus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The vibe i get from candlekeep is that it isnt really meant for the everyday common person, not like our libraries in the real world. I kinda get the feeling that type of people that would visit it would be people like powerful and influential archmages or nobles and high priests, like in your expample with the farmer. If the farmer wanted some sort of rare information on planting and caring for a particular crop he wouldnt really have an option of using candlekeep but options more suited to him would be temples of oghma or chauntea would have that info in their library for him to use. While on the other hand maybe say a church of chauntea was planning on making use of a rare crop that they didnt have the information to care for in their libraries would send their high priest to candlekeep to search for the information.

p.s. most of the information you need is in Volo's guide to the sword coast pg 32-33. One of the other requirements is being sponsored by a known mage of power.It doesnt give a list of what the services cost but im sure you could use the leaves of learning information as a good starting point to come up with candlekeeps prices.

Edited by - kysus on 04 Dec 2015 09:09:56
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2015 :  09:43:05  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Scribes. I'm not sure my players can afford to put down ten G's for a book the library already owns. Several other libraries are mentioned. I know of Herald's Holdfast and Silverymoon must have one. Where else might one go to research very old books? Evereska?

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2015 :  10:51:23  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think most libraries are private. Temples to Oghma, certain collections of books from nobles in magocratic states (like Thay and its enclaves, Halruaa, Nimbral or Sembia), hermits and local sages might be perusable for a limited fee.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

kysus
Learned Scribe

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2015 :  10:57:14  Show Profile  Visit kysus's Homepage Send kysus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well the Leaves of Learning in highmoon is a good starting point, they supposedly have the most complete catalog naming a whole slew of books including ones they dont own and whos library those books can be found. With that in mind you could use that as a jumping off point and decide that what ever book or books you want your players to find is in the library of some old and powerful archmage or library of a high priest of oghma and then have them work out a deal with said npc to get a glimpse at it.

As far as in general, not counting the places you named any temple would have rare books concerning its faith, many mages and nobles also seem to have a abnormally large collection of rare books in their libraries as well. Mage's guilds would also have rare tomes in their possession.
well this is all i can come up with off the top of my head, if i can think of anything else ill let you know. Also if you could be a little more specific with what your looking for, like are you just looking for possible locations to have rare books as dm tool or are you looking for specific types of rare books as a player in a game?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000