Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Doom of Daggerdale help
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

xmaxx
Acolyte

France
39 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2015 :  15:45:36  Show Profile Send xmaxx a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I guess some of you have played/mastered the "Doom of Daggerdale".

I will run it in a few weeks and I had to make some adjustements to the story, as my players have already done the "Sword of the Dale"'s trilogy.

This was 9 months ago...

In my adapted story, Randal Morn, freed from a curse and assisted by my PCs, has managed to take back Dagger-falls, and he is now leading a guerilla warfare in the east of the Dale, where the Zhentarim resist, their armies sheltered in several bases.

Guthbert Golthammer is dead, and Randal has chosen a new constable, Tren. He has suspicions on this clever administrator. Is he a spy for the Zhentarim? No one knows...

Anyway, (spoiler alert), the Doom of Daggerdale is divided into two dungeons. In my reading of the adventure, I feel the PCs are 'pushed' to do the biggest first (they are hired to clean the crypt), which I find unbalanced, as the dwarven keep is easier, and then useless if the bad guy is beaten. This keep is only spoken about in a tavern, no real lead there...

What could I do to 'drive' my players to the dwarven keep FIRST?

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2015 :  08:08:00  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure about "driving" anyone; as a DM, I try to avoid forcing my players to do anything. just give them options.

I think the key is the tavern talk you disparage. In the original adventure, Tren wants the PC's to investigate the crypts because his own men got mauled. If the town is free, that would likely be openly talked about. Have the PC's hear people discussing all the horrible things that might be down there. If they try, they could probably find an actual survivor to talk to.

At the same time, rumors can start to spread about the Eyrie. Maybe a prospector was chased away by the beastmen. Maybe there was another rock fall, and someone swears that either it was done on purpose, or that it revealed something. If any of the PC's are dwarves, or have dwarven friends, then they can get more specific information, and might even be approached.

Rumors and tavern talk are a DM's best friend. Give your players options, let them choose where to go, and provide subtle (or sometimes not-so-subtle) hints about how dangerous each path is.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

rangerstranger
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2015 :  16:51:45  Show Profile Send rangerstranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tried do just that when I ran this adventure a few months back. They still ended up going right into the crypt to figure out was in there. It's the only verified bit of information given really. Everything else to do with the Eryie was just pure speculation. I even tried having the townsfolk call the nightshades "Leaf Dwarfs" repeatedly. By calling them Leaf Dwarves I was hoping they would build a connection with the Dwarves of the Eryie.

They still went down into the temple first. In fact they never went to the Eryie.
Go to Top of Page

Korginard
Learned Scribe

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2015 :  19:02:16  Show Profile  Visit Korginard's Homepage Send Korginard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How difficult would it be to add a Dwarf NPC who has some info on the Eryie and is looking to hire some non-Zhent mercenaries to investigate? I don't have imediate access or memory of the adventure, but perhaps one of the dwarves ancestors left a map, or some papers, or just a handed down story.
This is pushing as well, but pushing them in the direction you'd like them to follow.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000