Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Spoilers: Rage of Demons / Out of the Abyss story
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2015 :  02:16:53  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So this news was released several days ago at ENWorld:

Spoiler tagged for those who don't want to be spoiled. Use highlight if you do.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?2846-The-Fetid-Wedding!#.Vdu_-nuKxwA

Zuggtmoy wants to "wed" the Araumycos in the Underdark. There's going to be a ritualistic wedding/demonic binding that gets wedding-crashed by Juiblex, according to rumor.

Amusing.

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer

Laeknir
Seeker

68 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2015 :  03:03:31  Show Profile  Visit Laeknir's Homepage Send Laeknir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chris Perkins was inspired by Alice in Wonderland for this.
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2015 :  03:48:10  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Laeknir

Chris Perkins was inspired by Alice in Wonderland for this.

Aye. They'd been talking that point up long before we even knew what the module would be about.
It definitely makes you stop and stare, and it definitely gets a sort of madness going.
I'm interested in whatever nuggets of lore regarding Auraumycos might be forthcoming. There were a few threads about it in recent years that peaked my curiosity, and it'll be fun to see what kind of additional information we get.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2015 :  11:31:33  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would someone please get FR away from Perkins? He is a complete joke.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2015 :  23:20:32  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder if they'll take on the point that Ghaunadaur takes on Juiblex' aspect in the Realms and that Juiblex himself has never had any actual influence there.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2015 :  00:49:21  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The more I think about it the more I want to nuke the whole thing. FR has become CP's private playground where he can try any of his crazy and obnoxious things. I mean seriously, Zuggtmoy trying to marry Araumycos?

Also, the demon lord thinking she could somehow control it in any way. It's getting more and more ridiculous by the day.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Edited by - Shadowsoul on 26 Aug 2015 02:30:10
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2015 :  00:52:02  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a demon. They're supposed to be chaotic and crazy. If it were a Devil, I'd agree.

- Delwa Aunglor

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2015 :  02:30:57  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

It's a demon. They're supposed to be chaotic and crazy. If it were a Devil, I'd agree.

There's chaotic and then there's just plain stupid.

#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2015 :  02:39:03  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't call it stupid. There could easily be reason beyond mortal understanding. This is a supernatural demon and an apparently psionic entity. Their logic and reasoning doesn't have tomake sense to you and me.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2015 :  03:29:08  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mawwaige is what bwings us togevver today, tweasure your wuv. Do you have the wing?

I mean, I agree it is pretty stupid. A bloaty mushroom goddess marrying a semi-aware fungus, with the wedding gate-crashed by a jealous formless slime-blob.

Just... why? If Araumycos is a fungus, there's no need for a wedding or demonic binding, it's in her domain. It's like Lathander deciding to marry his morning coffee or something.

This has Chris Perkins stink all over it.

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer

Edited by - Eltheron on 26 Aug 2015 03:33:12
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2015 :  03:32:32  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that this is supposed to be a weird/crazy/comedic storyline. That's where all the weirdness comes from.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2015 :  03:37:08  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

I think that this is supposed to be a weird/crazy/comedic storyline. That's where all the weirdness comes from.

Well, yes, almost certainly. Perkins is beloved by people who get yuk-yuks from goofy slapstick and one-liners.

If you've ever seen one of his "showy" public DMing events, it's filled with gag-humor similar to Beavis and Butthead.

"HUHUHHUHHUH Zuggtmoy farts a poison cloud, roll dice!"

--Faraer

Edited by - Eltheron on 26 Aug 2015 03:38:39
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2015 :  03:45:14  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eltheron

quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

Well, yes, almost certainly. Perkins is beloved by people who get yuk-yuks from goofy slapstick and one-liners.

If you've ever seen one of his "showy" public DMing events, it's filled with gag-humor similar to Beavis and Butthead.

"HUHUHHUHHUH Zuggtmoy farts a poison cloud, roll dice!"

Not my cup of tea. But I'm not concerned over it, as it is just an adventure and won't change anything about thee Realms. We're at the point where every year some random apocalypse happens, then the heroes of the day come and fix everything. After that, everything is back to how it was before, ready to receive the next BBEG.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 26 Aug 2015 03:45:34
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2015 :  05:29:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess I'm alone in not seeing what the big deal is... Zuggtmoy is all about the fungus and such, which Araumycos is. And it's not like Araumycos is some big, inanimate object -- see the below quote from Ed.

quote:
Araumycos is alive and sentient, but does not think as we do. It is magically bonded both to The High Forest above it and to the Weave which it in part anchors. The strong innate magic of that spot both feeds it and was the lure for those things it guards, simply by smothering them in its own body: the abandoned domiciles of ancient, now-vanished beings of several races who desired to master magic. Think of it as unslayable, un-conquerable -- and best left alone. There ARE a multitude of far easier foes and treasures in Faerun, awaiting even the most stubbornly foolish adventurers.

Note that this also give us some additional motivations for Zuggtmoy: if Araumycos anchors the Weave, can she somehow suborn/take advantage of that anchor? Do her plans involve something Araumycos is guarding?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2015 :  10:43:22  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I wouldn't call it stupid. There could easily be reason beyond mortal understanding. This is a supernatural demon and an apparently psionic entity. Their logic and reasoning doesn't have to make sense to you and me.

But they are partaking in a mortal ritual so yes it is stupid.

The gist of the story has the potential to be really great but of course Perkins adds his lame goofiness to it and ruins it.

#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2015 :  11:29:45  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowsoul

Also, the demon lord thinking she could somehow control it in any way. It's getting more and more ridiculous by the day.

why? She's older and more powerful
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6647 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2015 :  11:36:43  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can be assured of one thing: WotC have no idea regarding Ed's musings on Araumycos here at the Keep.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2015 :  11:43:19  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mirtek

quote:

How do you get she is more powerful?

#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2015 :  11:58:12  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

She should be at least in demigod level. She rules half an abyssal layer, only contested by the similarly powerful entity ruling the other half

The other one is just a large and powerful mortal creature.

Unless the novels want to downplay archfiends Form demi-/Leser deities to fodder for midlevel mortals again.

Edited by - Mirtek on 26 Aug 2015 12:00:15
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2015 :  12:28:27  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

She should be at least in demigod level. She rules half an abyssal layer, only contested by the similarly powerful entity ruling the other half

The other one is just a large and powerful mortal creature.

Unless the novels want to downplay archfiends Form demi-/Leser deities to fodder for midlevel mortals again.

Do you have any kind of statistical write up of Araumycos? Wooly just posted a nice little piece of Araumycos. We know basically nothing of the creature as far as power goes. You think just because it resides in the material plane that it is somehow mortal?

#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2015 :  12:45:35  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If it's not a deity it's a mortal
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2015 :  13:15:56  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Mawwaige is what bwings us togevver today, tweasure your wuv. Do you have the wing?

I mean, I agree it is pretty stupid. A bloaty mushroom goddess marrying a semi-aware fungus, with the wedding gate-crashed by a jealous formless slime-blob.

Just... why? If Araumycos is a fungus, there's no need for a wedding or demonic binding, it's in her domain. It's like Lathander deciding to marry his morning coffee or something.

Wuv, twu wuv! One of my favorite scenes hahaha
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2015 :  13:20:14  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

You can be assured of one thing: WotC have no idea regarding Ed's musings on Araumycos here at the Keep.

-- George Krashos

Sadly, that wouldn't be surprising.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2015 :  13:22:49  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I guess I'm alone in not seeing what the big deal is... Zuggtmoy is all about the fungus and such, which Araumycos is. And it's not like Araumycos is some big, inanimate object -- see the below quote from Ed.

quote:
Araumycos is alive and sentient, but does not think as we do. It is magically bonded both to The High Forest above it and to the Weave which it in part anchors. The strong innate magic of that spot both feeds it and was the lure for those things it guards, simply by smothering them in its own body: the abandoned domiciles of ancient, now-vanished beings of several races who desired to master magic. Think of it as unslayable, un-conquerable -- and best left alone. There ARE a multitude of far easier foes and treasures in Faerun, awaiting even the most stubbornly foolish adventurers.

Note that this also give us some additional motivations for Zuggtmoy: if Araumycos anchors the Weave, can she somehow suborn/take advantage of that anchor? Do her plans involve something Araumycos is guarding?

Corrupt it and subsume a part of Toril and Araumycos, which then becomes part of her layer on the Abyss. Isn't that what demonlords like to do?
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2015 :  13:53:49  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I wouldn't call it stupid. There could easily be reason beyond mortal understanding. This is a supernatural demon and an apparently psionic entity. Their logic and reasoning doesn't have to make sense to you and me.

But they are partaking in a mortal ritual so yes it is stupid.

The gist of the story has the potential to be really great but of course Perkins adds his lame goofiness to it and ruins it.

She's trying to bind herself to Auraumycos in order to gain power, and our limited human explanation of this is to describe it as a marriage. It's not stupid, we just don't fully understand what's going on with the rites of some dark ritual binding that's apparently the easiest way to achieve her increase in power. If changing the word choice of "marriage" to instead use "dark ritual" makes it less silly for your table, it's a "problem" easily solved.
Back to the binding, which one is more powerful doesn't really matter, just as it doesn't really matter which person in a relationship has the higher IQ.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2015 :  15:07:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 5e D&D material is not meant for the 'Realms fanbois' (US), its made for the 12-14 year old crowd who are just getting into D&D. This is what happens when YOUR setting becomes the 'core' setting. Its no longer about the lore, its about fun modules you can enjoy with your friends. This is precisely the kind of thing I enjoyed back when I first started playing RPGs.

D&D is owned by a TOY COMPANY - they are aiming their products at an audience they understand. They have no idea how to sell to us. This is not meant as negative, BTW - its just the plain truth. I really wish people would stop expecting literature from a toy company.

What happened to us is like the difference between the old Teen Titan cartoon and the new one. Either enjoy what they are offering (and I AM, playing a game with my kids), or find a setting that is more mature and suits your tastes. FR has been dumbed-down to Greyhawk (and I am both a huge GH AND FR fan), and that was not due to 'lack of talent', but rather, due to a very specific target audience.

This particular adventure arc, though, I have NO INTENTION on running. My group is just going to stay on the Sword Coast and avoid all that High Forest silliness. If I want that stuff, I'll eat a nice salad (with mushrooms) covered in Blue Cheese dressing. Thats the only way I enjoy my mold on top of my fungus.

quote:

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 26 Aug 2015 15:09:46
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2015 :  15:21:09  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

The 5e D&D material is not meant for the 'Realms fanbois' (US), its made for the 12-14 year old crowd who are just getting into D&D. This is what happens when YOUR setting becomes the 'core' setting. Its no longer about the lore, its about fun modules you can enjoy with your friends. This is precisely the kind of thing I enjoyed back when I first started playing RPGs.

D&D is owned by a TOY COMPANY - they are aiming their products at an audience they understand. They have no idea how to sell to us. This is not meant as negative, BTW - its just the plain truth. I really wish people would stop expecting literature from a toy company.

What happened to us is like the difference between the old Teen Titan cartoon and the new one. Either enjoy what they are offering (and I AM, playing a game with my kids), or find a setting that is more mature and suits your tastes. FR has been dumbed-down to Greyhawk (and I am both a huge GH AND FR fan), and that was not due to 'lack of talent', but rather, due to a very specific target audience.

I'll agree with this. I have the privilege of having two local game stores, one caters to the Warhammer / Comic book crowd, the other to families and the MTG/AL crowd.
The second has a lot of younger kids as their clients, the first old grognards. Hanging out at both, I see kids eating up the new D&D stuff (and before we go down that road, the majority of those kids don't play AL.) It's marketed to them.
The other game store doesn't really focus on D&D, but the D&D guys that do hang out there look at the new material as 1. something they can play with their families, 2. Something that takes a little tweaking to make it appeal to more mature gamers.

I personally plan on harvesting the magic items and stat blocks from this adventure, but I don't have plans to run it. I'm still running my homebrew FR game, and I've got people wanting to play Tyranny of Dragons after that. If I get any more in my backlog, I'll probably die of depression.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2015 :  15:37:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If it's not a deity it's a mortal

Then explain primordials, fae, elementals... They are all immortal, but they are not deities.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Korginard
Learned Scribe

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2015 :  15:48:47  Show Profile  Visit Korginard's Homepage Send Korginard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure I'll regret this, but can we PLEASE lay off the name calling? I don't care how upset you are, there's no need to disparage people and get so bent out of shape. We don't like what someone does so we call him a stupid poopey head? Seriously.. don't make me say it.
That being said, what ever happened to the concept of using what you like and discarding the rest? Yes I agree, this all looks to be more discard than use, but there is some interesting content if you are willing to look at it without getting bent out of shape.
Yes the "marriage" angle is just silly, but it's easy enough to put that asside and simply have Zuggy trying to gain power thru Auraumycos. She obviously does not control him simply because he's fungus. We know he's much more than a simple fungus, and despite being a Demon Lord, Zuggy's power in the realms is based on how active she has been there. This may be a ploy to gather a large amount of influence in the realms all at once.
I'll also be interested to see what the other Demon Lords do. We know Demogorgon seems set to run rampant in Menzoberranzan. That alone makes me wonder what his rampage will do to the Baenrae hold on power there. What about Graz'zt? Will his appearance in the realms cause Waukeen to get involved? (I imagine she's still pretty miffed with him). My all time favorite has to be Orcus however, I'd love to see him involved, but I do know that he was banished from the Realms and I don't know what kind of time frame was involved.
So yeah, there's probably a lot of silly stuff we don't want, but lets focus on ideas we COULD use. If were not going to be happy with what WOTC gives us, we could at least work up some ideas of our own.
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2015 :  15:53:19  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

This particular adventure arc, though, I have NO INTENTION on running. My group is just going to stay on the Sword Coast and avoid all that High Forest silliness. If I want that stuff, I'll eat a nice salad (with mushrooms) covered in Blue Cheese dressing. Thats the only way I enjoy my mold on top of my fungus.

I'm sorry, but why the heck is it wrong to expect quality creative work just because it's "aimed at" 10-14 year olds?

The Hobbit: There and Back Again was written for kids. Harry Potter was written for kids. Quality creative work.

Twilight is also written for pre-teens/teens.

Creative work aimed at youth can be great, or it can be really stupid.

Why excuse lazy, poor creativity for any age-group?

--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

Korginard
Learned Scribe

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2015 :  16:08:48  Show Profile  Visit Korginard's Homepage Send Korginard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do agree that the target audience has definately changed. This is a big reason I've shifted away from D&D and looked more into Pathfinder. I still love the realms however and will gobble up any bit of info they release about it. If I don't like something they offer I'll ignore it.
And yes, it's exactly like the Teen Titans cartoons, I'm personally more Justice Leauge/Young Justice than either, but I can't stand the cutesy new one.
That brings up a point I had not thought about. I've been all about sifting and filtering what they give us and enjoying whatever you can get out of it. I find very VERY little that can be sifted from Teen Titans Go... I suppose on that at least I can see some of the anger and frustration being expressed. I could rant and rave that Justice League and Young Justice were awesome and there's nothing like them being offered anymore, but honestly that wouldn't change anything.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000