Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Acquisition Incorporated CEO appointed Marked Lord
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Plaguescarred
Learned Scribe

Canada
190 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2013 :  14:42:03  Show Profile Send Plaguescarred a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
During last night's D&D Live Game at PAX Prime 2013, Acquisiion Incorporated battling to control a giant statue of Halaster Blackcloak destroyed a couple of ins, tavers and shops in Waterdeep after emerging from Undermountains while fighting a tarrasque. After slaying the beast, their CEO Omin Dran was appointed Marked Lord of Waterdeep!

Wonder if this will be cannonized in the next Forgotten Realms campaign setting?

You can view a replay of the D&D Live game here (05:29:58 in) www.twitch.tv/pax/b/454362945

Yan
Playtester

Edited by - Plaguescarred on 01 Sep 2013 14:44:09

Plaguescarred
Learned Scribe

Canada
190 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2013 :  14:45:12  Show Profile Send Plaguescarred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chris Perkins as Bhaal was awesome too!!

Yan
Playtester

Edited by - Plaguescarred on 01 Sep 2013 14:45:23
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2013 :  01:53:48  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't be a bigot, suck my spigot!

uhg..hahah

One complaint, I wish I could have watched it in a lower quality, that took way way way to long to load and load and load.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2013 :  12:23:10  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Plaguescarred

Wonder if this will be cannonized in the next Forgotten Realms campaign setting?

A big NO. No, no and no.
While it may be entertaining to watch, that event should NOT become canon.
It reminded me too much of a movie where a giant robot (in this case statue) fights against a monster.
The lair of the Tarrasque was established by lore to be in the Anauroch region. A Tarrasque is a unique being and with the one in the Anauroch being in itīs lair, a second one would have to be created through a powerfull magical ritual that requires several dragon heads.
Furthermore having THREE "chosen" characters and direct talks to a god is way over the top.
As i said, nice entertainment but definatly NOT material for canonizing.

The driving force in the multiverse is evil, for it forces good to act.
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2013 :  16:21:39  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bane, have you seen any books lately, I seem to remember oh 7 chosen that talk to their god directly. Oh and they were sisters...
Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2013 :  16:42:49  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let me elaborate my problem with the "chosen" in this matter.
The cleric, came from another world, then converted to Tymora and then suddenly is a "chosen" in a short time who then gets a direct link to the goddess? Sorry but that is pulling too much weight for me.
Then another player character was portrayed as chosen of Milil in a podcast prior to the event, not characters in a story but an actual player character. Itīs fine if itīs a homebrew campaign where you can do things your way but for a canon approach for those things, a big NO.

Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2013 :  16:45:09  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

During last night's D&D Live Game at PAX Prime 2013, Acquisiion Incorporated battling to control a giant statue of Halaster Blackcloak destroyed a couple of ins, tavers and shops in Waterdeep after emerging from Undermountains while fighting a tarrasque. After slaying the beast, their CEO Omin Dran was appointed Marked Lord of Waterdeep!

After watching this, I have to say that I was really unimpressed and put off by most of it. Honestly, my opinion of Perkins slips lower and lower every time I see something like this.

If it was only that it seriously lacked in the realism that I prefer in the Realms, that would be one thing. But seriously, a giant Halaster-robot? Gay gnome "juice" robot? Come on.

This was just a massive goofball session filled with "yuk yuk" fart jokes, gay jokes, ridiculous monsters, and low-end sexual humor ("did those dryads give you wood? HAR HAR!"). Awful.

Low-brow humor like this is what I'd expect from a bunch of stupid teenage boys with out of control hormones. Or a parody of gamers. Extremely disappointing.

If this is "typical play in the Realms" for Perkins or even remotely close, then I think I understand much better why 4E Realms happened. No respect for the material, no depth, no importance to history over time, nothing. Explains 4E Realms perfectly.

And I can't even believe the suggestion of making this canon. You can't possibly be serious. This was just ridiculous low-brow pandering to a juvenile audience. It had -zero- to do with the actual Realms.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!

Edited by - Therise on 02 Sep 2013 16:56:03
Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2013 :  17:03:14  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Humor can be ok in your game, but i agree with you Therise, it was a goofball session with the rogue/bard and the cleric being the most "serious" ones. The giant "robot" thing did put me off aswell as the appearance of the tarrasque and then one of the players ending up a masked lord. They are supposed to be secret and then one gets picked by the people that everyone knows of? Thatīs not hidden.
It was a typical "fun romp" for D&D, fitting for the core setting, not the realms and it did not catch the flair and flavour of the Forgotten Realms at all.

Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2013 :  18:53:52  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't worry about any of it being considered lore and not all of the jokes were Chris Perkins' fault.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2013 :  19:40:35  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I totally agree that humor is excellent in gaming. Essential, even. But a huge stretch of really crude gay/semen jokes was just disgusting.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2013 :  22:16:32  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't take these too seriously, it's all fun and games and bad jokes to keep the live audience engaged. There's no canonicity of the material here. Even if there were, it would mostly be the character name used in the writeup and it's a shade better than some of the "Realms" names we've gotten in the past.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2013 :  23:58:03  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The overwhelming majority of Live RPGA events have never been canonized. Look at where all that Living Realms and Living Greyhawk material never ended up ... stuff like the City of Raven‘s Bluff is about as wild as it ever got.

Although there‘s no reason the core story and events from this particular play session to be entirely forgotten, they might appear in some Dragon issue. I very much doubt that fill-in Chosens, the Tarrasque rampaging Waterdeep, and other such fare will ever be canonized.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2013 :  01:42:14  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
STll want to know what adventure they played ._. my players would love that one.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2013 :  05:28:05  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
what the ceo is now the masked lord?? the deity of thieves, shadows and all else that was once mask?

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2013 :  06:37:57  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
tymora
Go to Top of Page

Plaguescarred
Learned Scribe

Canada
190 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2013 :  23:47:08  Show Profile Send Plaguescarred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheriseI can't even believe the suggestion of making this canon. You can't possibly be serious. This was just ridiculous low-brow pandering to a juvenile audience. It had -zero- to do with the actual Realms.
I didn't suggest it would, i only said i was wondering if it would be canonized, as it was run by a WoTC employee.

Yan
Playtester
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2013 :  00:14:49  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Therise

I can't even believe the suggestion of making this canon. You can't possibly be serious. This was just ridiculous low-brow pandering to a juvenile audience. It had -zero- to do with the actual Realms.
I didn't suggest it would, i only said i was wondering if it would be canonized, as it was run by a WoTC employee.

Actually, you did. Asking a hypothetical question -automatically- plants the suggestion of it's possibility. It's one of the oldest tricks in politics: "Senator, is there any truth to the rumor that... XYZ?" There may not even have been a rumor. But once you ask about any hypothetical, it becomes planted as a possibility. Also, just mentioning the word "canon" is inherently provocative.

Edited by - Therise on 05 Sep 2013 00:20:07
Go to Top of Page

Plaguescarred
Learned Scribe

Canada
190 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2013 :  04:08:40  Show Profile Send Plaguescarred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry it wasn't my intention and i didn't want to provoke anyone. I was just wondering...

Yan
Playtester
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2013 :  04:13:55  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The OP didn't suggest making the event canon. Instead he asked a question.

The OP clarified his opening question by providing his reasoning for asking it.

It really shouldn't be that hard to take him at his word.

quote:

Sorry it wasn't my intention and i didn't want to provoke anyone. I was just wondering...
Don't worry. You didn't provoke anyone. There's nothing for you to apologize for.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 05 Sep 2013 04:16:47
Go to Top of Page

Plaguescarred
Learned Scribe

Canada
190 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2013 :  04:34:02  Show Profile Send Plaguescarred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jeremy all good then :)

Yan
Playtester
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2013 :  05:42:11  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I can't even believe the suggestion of making this canon. You can't possibly be serious. This was just ridiculous low-brow pandering to a juvenile audience. It had -zero- to do with the actual Realms.

Actually, you did. Asking a hypothetical question -automatically- plants the suggestion of it's possibility. It's one of the oldest tricks in politics: "Senator, is there any truth to the rumor that... XYZ?" There may not even have been a rumor. But once you ask about any hypothetical, it becomes planted as a possibility. Also, just mentioning the word "canon" is inherently provocative.

Oh chill out.

It only is provocative, if you don't remember that this is all fantasy, and even it if it was cannon, would probably not be anymore then a footnote, right before or right after the time jump we probably will have with the sundering.

I swear some folks argue over ridiculous things, as if they think they are fighting with Learned Scribe.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2013 :  06:23:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I think the topic of whether or not this could become canon has been adequately discussed.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2013 :  07:19:07  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by silverwolfer

Oh chill out.

It only is provocative, if you don't remember that this is all fantasy, and even it if it was cannon, would probably not be anymore then a footnote, right before or right after the time jump we probably will have with the sundering.

I swear some folks argue over ridiculous things, as if they think they are fighting with Learned Scribe.

Uhm... what?

In no way am I irked, upset, or even remotely fighting with anyone. When I expressed my total incredulity over the "is it canon?" question, it wasn't that I was angry.

I swear, sometimes this site is like a litmus test.

It's pretty obvious that:

a) it wasn't a real adventure.
b) everything about it was just silly / crude jokes.

I simply could not believe that anyone would seriously ask if it was going to be canon. It was provocative in that way, not in the "let's talk super serious and argue" kind of way. My subsequent response was meant even more as a "hey buddy, I totally get that you're yanking our chain" with a facepalm attached, but I guess that blue paper turned red after all. For several people.

So, you know... no bigs, it's all good.

Edited by - Therise on 05 Sep 2013 07:28:17
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2013 :  11:53:26  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Bane

It reminded me too much of a movie where a giant robot (in this case statue) fights against a monster.

*cough* Like <this>? cough

Oh, no, there goes Waterdeep
Go, go, Tarrasque!
Yeah!

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2013 :  13:06:15  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well yes, i was thinking of everyones favorite giant lizard laying waste to the japanese captial, but not with Blue Oyster Cult background music

Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2013 :  06:37:58  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't watch this and, after reading some of the other posts, probably never will.
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2013 :  06:45:44  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
<-< okay lets retool the thread, we hit negative levels real quick.

AS far as the system goes, that they showed, if it they showed real portions of it, and not just play acting. I did enjoy how smooth the reactions went, on dice rolling.
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2013 :  12:44:43  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All the bad schtick in these public games is on purpose. Whether it is good or bad, it just is. It's meant to illicit some laughs and to see people goofing around while playing D&D. I would highly doubt any of it ever makes it into canon. There might be a fleeting reference, such as a funny fiction story some character retells while sitting around a tavern, but I don't believe it would be an actual event that took place in the realms.

It was enjoyable for what it is, and not for anything more: a group of guys, some of whom are celebrities, playing Dungeons & Dragons.

Edited by - Matt James on 06 Sep 2013 12:45:31
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2013 :  15:10:13  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Drustan Dwnhaedan

I didn't watch this and, after reading some of the other posts, probably never will.
Agreed.

I had to bite my tongue, though, when Therise pointed-out (quite astutely) WHY 4e was what it was (a bunch of gamers wanting to recapture that feeling they had when they were 14). As nostalgia, it worked great. As a serious, modern (2013) game session... JUST NO.

D&D is not about having fun - its about memorizing hundreds of rulebooks verbatim, spending months rolling up charatcers, and then spending years arguing over who goes first in combat, what feats and classes are allowed, and why no-one remembered to bring the Doritoes. You are not so supposed actually play this game, merely discuss it ad-infinitum...

Oh... wait... errrrmmm.. forget I was ever here...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2013 :  15:50:25  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt James

All the bad schtick in these public games is on purpose. Whether it is good or bad, it just is. It's meant to illicit some laughs and to see people goofing around while playing D&D. I would highly doubt any of it ever makes it into canon. There might be a fleeting reference, such as a funny fiction story some character retells while sitting around a tavern, but I don't believe it would be an actual event that took place in the realms.

It was enjoyable for what it is, and not for anything more: a group of guys, some of whom are celebrities, playing Dungeons & Dragons.

There's a deep level of irony here, though, which I find even funnier. For decades, TSR and WotC have tried to bring women into gaming, and to make it an open and safe gaming environment for people of all persuasions.

And yet, in 2013, "on purpose" we still see company-endorsed examples of game-play that feature near-constant streams of sexist and homophobic jokes. And people still defending the stereotypical crass teen-boy gamer as "entertaining" and "enjoyable".

Edited by - Therise on 06 Sep 2013 15:52:39
Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2013 :  17:36:28  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by silverwolfer

<-< okay lets retool the thread, we hit negative levels real quick.

Er, sorry if i came across as a hater in my last post, that wasn't my intent. Perhaps I should have posted something more along the lines of, "This sort of stuff isn't my cup of tea." Or just said nothing (probably should've done that).
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000